Aishwarya Rai for Elle : Gorgeous, Controversy Or Not !

by mehak on December 26, 2010

in Celebrity

I think Aishwarya Rai looks stunning on the cover of Elle. Understandably so, she has been made up by the Guru of makeup in India – Mickey Contractor. Matte peachy beige on lips, winged eyeliner, upswept hair and sculpted cheekbones. The makeup is  understated,  fresh, classic and elegant..

As for the controversy part-

Fans have said that elle is being racist by portraying ash 2 shades lighter and whiter than she is. Honestly, fashion shoots are creative avenues and i dont understand the big deal. I am the first person to stand out against the whole fairness hype-i would rather bein the skin im in right now than be a pale ghost , but the shoot was obviously trying to channel the whole porcelain doll look of the Victorian Era – complete with flouncy layered Gowns by Rohit Bal.    The same way you can argue thats not her natural hair- its coloured so you are not depicting the true colour of her hair either…Its a stupid controversy if you ask me, its the photoshoot directors creative liberty.

Isnt her lip colour looking stunning? Peachy brown nude- Looks so much like MAC Peach Stock Lipstick or Maybe MAC Honeylove. I’m going to go check em out in the store tommorow.

ClassyandFabulous December 26, 2010 at 11:25 am

whats with the beehive tho?

P&B December 26, 2010 at 11:30 am

Yeah, they went a little OTT with the skyhigh bun…still looks good in the photoshoot though. If someone were to wear that in real life im sure i would snigger !

Soft, Sweet and Gentle December 26, 2010 at 11:45 am

i love the look so understated and wearable…and frankly i think dusky skin tone looks most beautiful ….

P&B December 26, 2010 at 11:55 am

@ss&g – I agree, i am dusky myself and have no intentions of appearing any shade lighter or fairer. I love the skin Im in, but i also dont understand why people are creating such a controversy about how she is made to look fairer in this campaign. its a creative shoot after all!

Gone2RehabBRB December 26, 2010 at 12:12 pm

Well, I'm on the ''ghostly'' white side naturally and personally don't like to bronze up.

But this is one heck of a gorgeous lady.
Paleness just goes with the story, don't see how people can find it racist.

PnB December 26, 2010 at 12:15 pm

@Gone2RehabBRB- I dont get it either. The same gorgeous lady was portrayed 2 shades darker in a recent movie. Didnt see anybody at that time stand up in arms against that

Tanveer Parmar December 26, 2010 at 1:41 pm

I agree with you.. I am personally a little tired of this entire "How dare you aspire to be fair?" business.. If Ash decides to take on a darker skin tone for another photo shoot/film tomo – should all the fair ppl get offended & scream Bloody Murder?

People shd be comfortable in their skin color, & they also need to grow up & realize that skin color is a personal preference.

If a slightly fairer skin tone makes someone happy – who are we to sit in judgement & say this is wrong.. It is their life, their skin. I think it is high time we learnt to be ok, not just in the skin we are in, but also be ok with the skin others are in.

It is a truly senseless controversy.

Beauty Addict December 26, 2010 at 8:12 pm

I think this controversy is nonsense…
I think she looks stunning on the pictures and that's what matters!

Confessions of a Beautyholic

bhumika December 26, 2010 at 10:55 pm

shes lookin fab with that makeup..tho i hate ash…bt shes lookin nice here…
i love mickey contractor's work..

bostoniancouture December 27, 2010 at 1:03 am

She's so beautiful, obviously she'll be on elle mag.

Shweta December 29, 2010 at 4:01 pm

I have to say that i have a different opinion about the whole thing.I dont live in India and returned after 1.5 years.The first thing i noticed besides the crappy shows on indian tv is that almost all adverts have a porcelain face model ranting in was so amused to find that our nation's obsession with white skin has gone even higher.i wanted to believe that i was wrong but more channels i browsed more surprised i became.i feel a geeta basra or chitrangada singh more beautiful than a katrina kaif.we indians are naturally gifted with exotic skintone and perfect face symmetry.we have most ethereal looks and we should keep it that way

P&B December 29, 2010 at 4:34 pm

I dont think the white skin obsession has gone higher. Til ten yrs back, you wouldnt have a chitrangada singh or rani mukherjee reaching the level of fame they have..
Also, india is made up of widely different skintones…ranging from the aiswaryas and kareenas to the chitrangadas and they are both equally gorgeous. I dont think dusky is mor gorgeous or fair is more gorgeous. They have their own appeal…

Shweta December 29, 2010 at 5:46 pm

I guess ur the other side of the world u have almost everyone trying end number of things to get perfect tan and here we have people trying to get white skintone.i was jst stating my choice that is defined indian features and brown skin

PnB December 29, 2010 at 6:53 pm

@Shweta – Mine too actually :)

Mane February 10, 2011 at 4:31 pm

killa looks

anumeha January 18, 2014 at 12:06 am

the only problem is her arm in thE magazine cover which has been photoshoped to look like a kids hand..seriously so skinny.. the hands are way to small!!