Best Nude Lipstick for Medium to Dark Skin : My Picks

by mehak on December 7, 2010

in Lipsticks

Have any of you guys  rushed out to buy a  particular nude lipstick seen in a video/on a celebrity/ heard from hype , only to find that it looks like concealer on your lips? If yes, then im guessing you are a medium or an olive skin toned girl. Finding a decent nude lipstick that does not look like concealer or like you are a dead ghost  is one of the hardest things to do . Case in point, MAC Myth- one of the most talked about  and hyped lipsticks of the category- i totally hated it. It looked dry and artificial on me, like i had some disease or something. Post that debacle, I have  done some experimentation with nude lipsticks and these are my picks for the best

Best Budget Nude Lipstick : Maybelline Color Sensational in ‘Totally Toffee’:

Adore this one, its a nude  pinkish beige colour, but it has some mild caramel and warm pink undertone to it so it sucks out the colour of your lips but  doesnt wash out your face. Its hard to describe a colour except that it looks like the colour of toffee,  possibly the perfect nude for NC 30- NC 45 skin. Great worn with smokey eyes on its own if you want a stark nude , or i just like to wear it under a gloss for every day  milder nude lipstick.

Picture courtesy google images

Best Pink Based Nude Lipstick :MAC Hug Me

Absolutely love this. If i were to recommend u a nude, this would be it.This is a pinkish nude- so not completely a true beigey nude. But  its one of my favourite MAC lipsticks out there. Goes very well with both warm and cool skintones. It really  is a flesh toned color, and goes on natural on me- slightly lighter colour than my lips and a perfect nude for those who are afraid of those beige nudes that can be  washing out.

Velvet Teddy

Best Peach Based Nude: MAC Velvet Teddy
Velvet Teddy is a warm peach lipstick by MAC, and is a fantastic nude for darker skin tones who get washed out with other nudes. It has some warm brown undertones to it that complement brown skin, and the colour is a beautiul apricot deep peach. Great or smokey eyes as well

Midi Mauve- Picture courtesy google images

Best Brown Based Nude Lipstick: MAC Midi Mauve
This is the kind of lipstick that gives you a ‘my lips but better’ look to your face. It just matches your lip colour, so its a nude in that sense, it doesnt suck out the colour from the lips but its a fantastic everyday option as well as a decent one to pair wth smokey eyes. If you want a beige nude though- the kind that takes of any colour of your lips..this isnt for you…

Clinique blsuhing nude

Best Brown Based Nude Lipstick2 :Clinique Long Last in “Blushing Nude”

I dont know whether this will classiy strictly as a nude. But hey, thats how clinique describes it so im going to trust it on this. This isnt a beige based colour, its a soft warm brown based colour with a rosey pink undertone. This is an HG product for me- it doesnt wash me  out, but just polishes up my pigmented lips and gives them a smooth even wash of rosey caramel. Its actually, the exact colour of my lips, so its great for everyday wear. Not something i would necessarily pair with smokey eyes though because its got a lot of life on its own.

Those were 6 of my favourite nude lipsticks. Tell me yours please !

ClassyandFabulous December 7, 2010 at 8:23 pm

listen if the packages dont come by the end of this and say we write that letter do u want to mention that "you know of other people who are facing the similar problem from ur country, who had ordered with the same halloween discount thing"
it`ll make them see that we are aware of how large scale the problem is and we don`t think its an isolated one so they need to fix it ASAP.
we can both include that bit in the mail if u agree.

Marissa December 7, 2010 at 10:03 pm

thanks…i actually stopped my quest for finding the perfect "nude" but i will definitely test these out!

HD December 8, 2010 at 4:38 am

hey Mehak thats a nice round up of nude lipsticks…hv u tried my mohogany?

Tanveer Parmar December 8, 2010 at 4:40 am

Gr8 post! Liked your selection :)

I like Revlon CB Rosy Nude, that is a bit more pink – but then since my skin is cool with lotsa pink undertones I need a bit of rosiness. Browns/ Beiges just look horrid on me :P

Rentu December 8, 2010 at 4:42 am

hey try my mahagony, and autumn rush, are reallie great, and me buying totally toffee, i like the shade

PnB December 8, 2010 at 5:10 am

@Classy&fAB- Yep, ill tell them that…this is getting to ridiculous levels…

@HD- Yes, I love my Mahogany as well, but totally toffee is nuder, My Mahogany still adds a bit of colour to me

@Tanveer- Thanx…ill check out Revlon ! I actually dont own any Revlon lisptick..Are they good quality?

@Rentu- I have My mahogany, dont have autumn rush…will check it out

bhumika December 8, 2010 at 7:32 am

I too have my mahagony n quite like it…even crazy for coffee is gud..wud also check out totally toffee..

Poohkie December 8, 2010 at 8:28 am

I used to run away from nude lippies in the past, but now I've learnt how to wear them. Will check out totally toffee.

shuchita December 8, 2010 at 8:43 am

Usually nude lipsticks are a disaster for me but will try the MAC one's

anamika December 8, 2010 at 8:49 am

i am getting the MAC one and as usual great post Mehak

Anshita December 8, 2010 at 10:31 am

hehe then v r sailing in d same boat!
m always on this quest n quite hate myth myself.
post some swatches of ur picks

Catanya December 8, 2010 at 10:50 am

I agree with you about MAC Myth: it looks terrible on my lips!

Soft, Sweet and Gentle December 8, 2010 at 1:51 pm

I'm forever searching the perfect nude for my lips… are so right about "rushing to the store after spotting a celeb" i do that and end up with the wrong stuff….i will try the blushing nude and totally toffee….

Tanya VS December 17, 2010 at 7:33 am

I love wearing nude shades so I will definitely check these out.

2 of my favorite nude shades are

mac cremesheen creme cup

mac satin cherish

Sherlyj December 26, 2010 at 12:01 am

Wow, I've been looking for a nude that's appropriate for my skin tone (I'm Indian, so olive or wheatish tones) and it's so hard to find one that doesn't make you look dead. Thank you for posting these. I found one by Clinique (pink beach) which is a nice light pink, almost a nude but a little more lively. I use that as my nude because I couldn't find any other. I'm going to try totally toffee.

pankhuri December 29, 2010 at 12:10 pm

wt r dere prices???

PnB December 29, 2010 at 2:00 pm

@sherlyj- tell me if u like it, wear it under a gloss i love it that way

@pankhuri-nthe maybelline one is or INR 250 i think, the MAC ones are or 990/- and clinique is for 1025/-

RoseofSharron January 21, 2011 at 5:32 pm

ok.. these are all great picks! I am going to have to try. thanks for this post!

vismaya January 29, 2011 at 10:41 pm

my favorite MAC pick: "Cream in your coffee"I cannot live without it, i am an indian girl and it goes well with my color, it is the best

PnB January 30, 2011 at 5:38 am

vismaya- i absolutely love creme in your coffee– but its not a nude on me..more like pink brown…but still…love it..

Anonymous January 31, 2011 at 1:59 am

PnB, did u try SUGAR PLUM from sephora…that is a good one too

PnB January 31, 2011 at 5:55 am

@anonymous- we dont have sephora in india so nope…nt tried that!!!

kuheli/bulbul February 20, 2011 at 4:29 pm

Mehak, the same 'concealer' thing happened with me when i bght a nude lipstick recently, it's street wear Earth shade. unfortunately i missed ur post. now im buying the maybelline one. Mac seems to expensive to me. :P

Segments of Life February 24, 2011 at 2:33 pm

All beautiful shades! The perfect nude! :)

bollywoodstylediaries March 7, 2011 at 10:38 pm

I have been in search for a nude lipstick for the longest time. Will check out all the shades u mentioned as well few from the comments section. I love MAC so am going to stick to that brand:-)

smitha January 30, 2013 at 12:32 pm

Try Inglot 404 with MAC cork pencil brushing for the nude effect.Also great is MAC siss .
inglot 410 is a great shade for dusky skin .