The Lazy Girl’s Guide To Staying Thin

by mehak on February 23, 2011

I hate the gym (as is apparent from the picture above). The only thing remotely exciting about it is that i will get to buy new trackpants , and strut around the place showing off. I also love food. I love Big Chill Pasta’s, Nirulas Hot chocolate fudge, Cinnabons, Pepperoni Pizza’s …and basically everything else that will make you ’rounder’. The two together have the potential to result in a disastrous combination- but thankfully due to genes(thank you mommy! (the thin gene definitely came from my moms side)), and also some smart choices regarding food, and exercise i have remained at a size i am pretty happy with!

Anyway, so when Susheela requested a ‘fitness’ post from me i actually had a good laugh about it because i dont do anything that you really should be doing (Go to the gym people- it really is supposed to be good!) . But since i do believe that certain small things make a huge difference for me – i thought id share them (plus im bored of reviewing makeup stuff)..Lets start then…

• Say Hello to strap on weights- the ultimate lazy girl accessory…

These are weights that you just strap on to your arms and legs and then do what you would normally do in the house.(No, i dont mean just sit and watch tv!) I mean like routine chores like make the bed, clean your cupboard, clean the room, fight with your brother,etc etc. This just makes the mere act of even raising an arm – a sort of an exercise. I think theyr super cool!!

• Dont deprive yourself. Just reduce the quantity you eat. Use Chopsticks.

I have noticed that whenever i pledge “i wil not eat any more chocolate”, the chances are i will binge on it the next weekend because my body feels deprived of it. So, go ahead and eat whatever you want to eat. Just reduce the portions. One neat way is to start using chopsticks to eat everything. It is hard to eat with chopsticks, and you will notice you eat much lesser quantities than usual .(unless yr chinese, then you are just used to chopsticks). Because you will take longer to eat, your food will get digested by the time you are done with three quarters of your plate and you will full and satisfied.

• Dont skip breakfast. Eat at regular intervals,

Its true what they say about breakfast being the most important meal of the day. Believe me, i never paid much attention to it but it is SO true. I used to skip breakfast and head straight to college. But now, i make sure i have a good breakfast before im off to work. It kickstarts your metabolic system early morning, and makes sure that you burn the maximum amount of calories throughout the day. Also , skipping breakfast means hogging on lunch or worse dinner. Hogging on dinner quite literally translates into fat, hogging on breakfast only translates into higher metabolic rate.

Also, very very true about eating small portions regularly. My sis lost a lot of weight JUST by doing this. It keeps the metabolic rate going, and ensures that you arent just dumping a whole lot of food into your system at one time, that your system cannot take.

• Eat before 8 pm.

A rule i swear by (Its now gotten kind of screwed up due to my strange work timings). But if you eat dinner early, there is very little chance of you piling up extra calories .Actually, the rule is not to eat anything for atleast 3 hours before you sleep so  that your food is digested. It works like a charm!

• Dance! or do something else you love

I spent my college life in the dance team. The practices were gruelling, but i never felt it because i loved dancing so much. I no longer dance (my excuse is that i dont have the time, but really i dont have the inclination anymore), but i know how amazing i felt at the time when we had dance practices. So play tennis, dance, do pilates, and all other sort of fun stuff if yoga and gymming bores you out!

• Convince your Punjabi mother not to give you ‘full cream’ milk. Switch from flour to wheat.

Indian (specially punjabi) mothers have a sttrange relationship with milk. I dont get it. I am now a grown woman but my mom freaks out  if i havent had my two glasses of milk (bournvita please!) in a day! Now, im not saying dont drink milk- its one of the best things to have and women definitely need it. But dude, that ‘full cream’ milk is just  criminal. Just by switching from full cream milk to double toned milk, you will notice a big difference. It might be less yummier, but the tummy will be much much happier , and so will you. Trust me.

Also, in our house we now make wheat maggi, have wheat momos, and wheat bread. Same taste. Healthier option. Plus whenever i say ‘wheat momo’s i psychologically start feeling like i am eating something extremely healthy like a salad or something :p

That was a rather random and off – topic post. More makeup/ fashion related posts coming up soon! I promise!

Vanity February 23, 2011 at 7:33 pm

haha i'm a punjabi too & i know what you mean!!
just today my mom was complaining about how I've beacome so irresponsible bcoz i dont drink milk! n milk wdout bournvita is plain eeewww!! so i've switched to cold coffees daily ;)

Anonymous February 23, 2011 at 7:34 pm

Fun post!

Hungover on Fashion February 23, 2011 at 7:44 pm

hmm..pretty elaborate huh!

kuheli/bulbul February 23, 2011 at 7:44 pm

very useful post. my only problem is my tummy. i have a flabby tummy. and i hav a weird routine, i go to bed late and get up also very late. as a result, i never get the chance to do some free-hand exercises. is it necessary to do exercises only in the morning?

a small addition: if your problem is 'full cream milk', then my problem is rice.(im a bengali. :P)

Tanya VS February 23, 2011 at 7:47 pm

Very interesting.I totally agree with what u say… except that eating with chopsticks might help initially but with time ul get so used to it that u might eat as fast as with a spoon :P
I struggled to loose weight too in the past.It isnt that easy!
Drink lots of water…eat multivitamins and build muscle mass as that increases u can end up eatin alot more without gain any inches .
well, u r perfect so u dont need to worry!! :)

Tanya VS February 23, 2011 at 7:53 pm

@bulbul :Hi , its best to exercise in the morning..since after u work out ..ur body metabolism is super fast for a few whatever u eat later in the day burns out easily without storing as fat.
BUT i always workout in the evening..or even at night sometimes and that seems to help too. I too have the same weird routine as you so i cannot wake up ealry morning to exercise no matter what :P !

bollywoodstylediaries February 23, 2011 at 10:30 pm

great post! i think the key is to eat in moderation and get as much exercise as possible!!

emma lou February 24, 2011 at 12:06 am

I injured my ripcage a week ago and basically (if you're get squeasy at bloody stories, proceed with caution) my muscle is bleeding inside of my skin, so it's wayyyy puffed outIt also really hurts to excersize…I can only do bottom half and arm excersizes!!!! D:
^ This is the best excuse not to work out :P (although it's very true)

Rentu February 24, 2011 at 4:47 am

that was an awesome post, i hate gym, but i love my full cream milk :)

Chennai Ponnu February 24, 2011 at 5:23 am

I like the strap on weight stuff … it is so me !

kuheli/bulbul February 24, 2011 at 10:10 am

@tanya, thanks for the suggestion…i should workout at night…:P

Segments of Life February 24, 2011 at 2:25 pm

Eating frequently, in small portions does help, to really speed up your metabolism. I've completely given up using sugar (but still have some carbs)…and use really little oil in cooking (that too, olive oil).
I have cold water with lemon first thing I wake up, really detoxes your system.

PeachesandBlush February 24, 2011 at 4:01 pm

@vanity–its something yar..i hate milk without bournvita too!

@kuheli- i think tanya answered yr question. Good if u do it in the morning, but if u cant then do it in the evening..i wouldnt know..i dont exercise :Lp

@Tanya- looks like yv had a lot of experience with this stuff!!!

@bollystyle diaries- is !

@enmma loe- omg..that sound absolutely horrible..hope it doesnt hurt too much!!!

@rentu- you must be a mom!

@chennaiponnu- i know, its the ultimate lazy girl accesory!

@SOL- ooh that water and lemon thing works wonders..shudv added that..

Nivedita February 24, 2011 at 6:20 pm

Very very useful post. I tried a few of the options like a good breakfast and the rest of the day small portion size meals, etc. It worked great. I also noticed, if I go on a strict diet, I feel like I'm depriving myself and then go on a binge. a little portion size of those ( a less frequent that is), helps a lot to keep the craving at bay.
Thanks for the article Mehak. Very useful

PeachesandBlush February 25, 2011 at 1:01 pm

@nivedita- yr welcome nivedita!!!!

bhumika February 25, 2011 at 6:30 pm

haha..nice post..:)

Manali October 15, 2014 at 9:59 am

WOW… i never thought of using the strap on weights outside of gym!! sooper cool idea :)