My Hair Care Routine: Products for Wavy Hair

by mehak on March 5, 2011

in Haircare

My hair, is one of the big  reasons  why im currently even in a relationship. More on  why and how a bit  later, but for now let me tell you that for  the most part of my school life, i obsessed over how to make my wavy / curly  hair appear straighter. I used serums, straightened my hair before parties, blow dried them , got hair cuts to make them appear straight..all of which gave me momentary happiness, but i never found a long term solution to how i wanted my hair to look like. Until one day i said “Yknow what…i have naturally wavy hair, im just going to embrace it”. That, along with deciding to start this blog, was one of the best decisions of my life”

I went to a stylist and told her “I have wavy hair, give me something that will enhance the curls” She gave me a cut with lots of layers..she called it a ‘layered razor’, and i havent changed my hairstyle ever since.
Anyway, coming back to the topic of the post , in a quick snapshot this is what im using currently:

A. L’oreal Vitamino Color Protecting Conditioner (Rs 545/-) :I dont have colored hair, never have had them  so its ironic ill use a color protecting conditioner, but really, i just use this because it gives my hair much needed moisture. I have extremely dry hair, so this helps in smoothening it and moisturizig it out a great deal. Plus this doesnt weigh  them down and make them limp so i like that. In case this is too expensive for you…you can also try the Herbal Essences ‘Hello Hydration’ conditioner (Rs 185/)- it smells like paradise in a bottle and does a fine job of conditoning hair.

B. Herbal Essences ‘Breaks Over’ Shampoo (Rs 180/-): I am not really fussy about shampoo’s, Im more fussy about conditioners , so this is just one iv been using over the last 3 months. I have a huge hair breakage problem for which i need medical treatment, but i feel (atleast psychologically) that i lose less hair in the shower when i rinse my hair with this ite out of the lot.

C. Kerasteste Oleo Curl Hair Masque Rs 1000/-(i think)
This is a mask thats really hard to find in the market. When i was living in Mumbai, i used to get this from a local salon, but in delhi its difficult to get . I LOVE this treatment. I used it sparingly – like once in two weeks, but this leaves my hair so soft, so shiny and moisturized that i feel iv just had a hair spa. My curls are hydrated, but not limp so you get bouncy shiny curls without the weigh down. Absolutely love it! Im super bummed that i cannot find this in delhi and have to make do without it :(

D.Matrix Biolage Smoothening Serum.(Rs 210/-)
This is just  a random product that i used in Bombay, when my hair was excessively frizzy, and i had little pokey ly away sticking out from everyway. Its a basic serum which will settle all those fly aways and make your hair appear smoother. Careful application is required though, too much and your hair can look oily!

E.My Philips Salon Super Stylist Rs 1995/-
This is my curling rod, flat iron, crimper, all rolled into one. I actually dont even use the flat iron (this one aint so good), but i definitely use the curling rod at times when my hair is having a bad hair day and i need to go out. Very rarely. I love how many options it comes with. Whether you want to curl your hair, or make it soft and wavy like the movie stars or whether you want ringlets. Love this thing, it has literally cut down on me going to the parlour in half! Full review is on my blog here

How i style my hair after a wash without any heat:

• Post a wash, i dont need to use any heat on my hair at all anymore…All i do is: Comb through towel dried hair with a wide toothed comb. Take a small section (around 2 inches wide) right at the center of my head and pin it back The rest of the hair i scrunch– this involved putting your hand (palm facing upwards) right at the ends of your hair. Now move your palm up, close your fist and let it go. Thats it !. When it dries, i open the pin. The result is curls all around, and a little flick on top that is straight.

Those are curls without any heat- only scruching after a wash

Btw , if any of you guys are travelling to the states, then definitely get back the ‘Batiste dry shampoo’. I have one bottle lying around somewhere thats almost over . It is a life saver for bad hair days when you dont have time for a proper shampoo. You just spray it on and thats it …yr shampooed in a dry way!!

Oh, and incase you are wondering what important role it has to play in my r/s. Well..’the boy’ once told me – “If it were’nt for your hair, i dont know if i would have hit on you  …Yr curly hair kept distracting me all the time!!!”. not sure whether to take that as a compliment or  insult honestly. Boys are strange.

Nivedita March 5, 2011 at 7:45 am

Thank you for the post. This is exactly what I needed. My hair is just like yours too. You are right I bought the Philips Multi stylist ( rather my parents gifted it to me) , the straightner doesn't work very good and no matter how good a straightner I use my hair is just just a dog's tail, too stubborn to stay straight. :(

I am still wondering about something. I have been using the Matrix Biolage serum as well which is pretty good. It recommends blow drying or stylig after that but it does not claim to be heat protective. Is it heat protective or is it not? What do yu use before using the curling tongs?

PeachesandBlush March 5, 2011 at 7:47 am

@nivedita- i dont think the matrix one is that much of a heat protectant. I actually dont use anything before curling , which is a really bad thing ..i should be using something. But i use heat so sparingly ki chalta hai. Oh and iv heard that the schwartskoff heat protectant is good.

Swati March 5, 2011 at 9:23 am

I would love to get Kerastese products….heard so much about them but I have no idea where they are available…..may be Loreal salons…

PeachesandBlush March 5, 2011 at 9:33 am

@swati- ya, some l'oreal salons keep them but in delhi even l'oreal salons dont…im still looking for a place in delhi to buy kerastest products from..

Prachi March 5, 2011 at 1:36 pm

@Mehak.i got the herbal essence shampoo after reading your post..loving it so much..I too have very dry hair..i previously used patanjali shampoo which really helped the dryness..

Simran March 5, 2011 at 1:42 pm

THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU! omg i can't believe that you actually did a post because of my request <3

Segments of Life March 5, 2011 at 3:11 pm

I use the Herbal Essences in Break's Over too! good stuff! More importantly, I love how you embraced your curly hair and working to make it rock, rather than chasing after the straight craze.

Priyanka Vijan March 5, 2011 at 5:18 pm

hey nice post but my hair is very straight so the above products are not that useful for me.. But i must say u have lovely hair!!! They look like celebrity hair. n ya u used to live in mumbai? when did u shift?

Nivedita March 5, 2011 at 6:06 pm

I have one Cotton Seed Curl Boost from TBS. Its heat protective and pretty good. But I have done only once or twice. I am always hurry and in the 11th hr I forget to style my hair.

PeachesandBlush March 5, 2011 at 6:22 pm

@prachi- really,\? Im so will give patanjali a shot!!!

@Simran- yr welcome girl..hope it helped!!!

@SOL- yes, im so happy i didnt do that

@priyanka- haha celebrity hair…people call it jhaddoo hair…i worked i mumbai for a bit last yr….was there for 10 months …in malad :)

@nivedita- ooh..cotton seed curl boost..sounds so good going to check it out..

Prachi March 5, 2011 at 7:03 pm

Ya..mehak..its worth a try..did a small review of patanjali on my blog..

Simran March 6, 2011 at 1:44 am

It most definitely did :D

Rentu March 7, 2011 at 6:09 am

i use the herbal essence, and its great

Anonymous March 7, 2011 at 5:20 pm

u can get kerastase everywhere..the madonna salons keep them

nami April 6, 2012 at 10:43 pm

hi mehak can you tell me the details of your stylist..i have the same hair texture as yours but wenever i had a haircut i wasnt satisfied with the look so every time i have to tie my hair in a pony..its really boring..looking for a good stylist in delhi.

mehak April 6, 2012 at 10:52 pm

jubz May 28, 2012 at 2:50 pm

hi mehak

I really liked your blog…its really informative….

I just want to know if your stylist works on curly hair..I really looking for good hairstylist who know how to give good cut for curly hair

mehak May 28, 2012 at 4:14 pm

Yup. She works on all hair

flygal June 8, 2012 at 4:57 pm

hi is a very helpfull post for galz with curly hair..i have fluffy hair too and without straightening i cant keep them open..may i ask where is your stylist located..thanks

SG November 15, 2012 at 4:42 pm

i have similar hair.. and believe me i feel i need medical help for hairfall too!!
but the post here is to tell u that i use the kerastase masque too and u can get it from any of the geetanjali salons in delhi :)

Rasika October 10, 2014 at 2:28 pm

Hi Mehak.. absolutely love your blog..
I too have hair like yours(or even worst).. I was facing server severe hairfall… few weeks back I generously applied [2eggs and olive oil whisked in mixy] mask to my shoulder length hair … and like a miracle hair fall reduced.. dryness reduced and my hair feels very soft now… and have much needed strength.

Curls and Beauty Diary March 21, 2016 at 3:46 pm

I love reading curly hair care routines! Love the Kerastase range :) Here’s my routine –