Shirt: Penny Lane Rs 700 (15$)
Belt : Vero Moda : Rs 350 (7$)
Bag: Forever New Rs 2400 (50$)
- Keep it no shorter than knee Length. You want to be stylish, not suggestive
- Keep Skirts in solids, and stripes- large floral prints, or big geometric designs are not okay
- Keep Skirts in muted colors- taupes, beiges, charcoal greys, black, blue, brown. Hot Pink is not okay
- Play around with the color of your shirt. You dont have to go boring here- pick vibrant purples, blues, pinks. Just make sure you match it with a muted bottom
- Look for Interesting cuts- flared sleves, small frills, ruffled detailing. These elements add an individual style, and if kept to a limit are formal as well
- Nothing is as stylish as a crisp white well fitted shirt. Every working girl needs one
- A nice way to dress up shirts is with scarves. A knotted scarve on your neck is very chic, and work appropriate too
- You dont always have to wear a collared shirt to be formal. Tops with a high neck, polo neck tops are considered formal as well
- Formal Blouses- chinese collared, or where the neck is close to your collar bone, Pussy bow blouses in Satin are considered formal
- When wearing a formal top, try and get a solid color with no print or stripe. A formal top can look casual if it has a strange print on it
- Invest in one pair of black pants. You’ll find yourself reaching for one everyday
- If you are tall, you can carry off wide legged pants with a fitted shirt- its very in, and work appropriate
- For petite frames, stick to fitted pants or boot legs
- While your pants should be fitted, make sure they dont suffocate yr ..err..derrierre ..You dont want underwear lines showing from behind.
Suits: Its all about Power dressing
- Suits can look totally stylish in the right cut, fit, and color . Wear a cut wear the suit cinches at the waist , to flatter every body type.
- If a full suit bores you out, then buy a jacket seperately and wear it with a pant and shirt. Forever 21 has some really nice blazers- these are pieces you can wear over a t shirt when with friends for a ‘boyfriend blazer’ look, or throw over your shirt and pant for an office look
Dresses: Basic is Best
- Dresses follow similar rules to skirts. Dress should not be any shorter than knee length
- Belted dresses, dresses with shirted tops like the ones above look great at work, while stringy, strappy numbers do not
- Flared and flouncy dresses, should best be avoided. Straight fit and A line dresses are more appreciated
- Most churidar kurta’s are considered formal. Unless you have a large floral print with sequins going on, your basic fab india kurta’s or salwar kameez from cottons will do
Accessories: Create the look
- Bags – No rules here. Almost all bags will do (Except ofcourse you have a pink fur one with “I love juicy” written on it)
- Scarves are a great way to dress up a plain shirt. A knotted scarf at the collar looks chic as well
- Jewellery- Pearl necklaces, delicate chains, hoops, studs, are all good as long as theyr not too blingy. (I dont always follow this rule though. I love my dangly earrings way too much!!)
- Shoes- Heels, and flats both are formal. They need to look like sandals, or peep toes, or pumps and not like chappals.
Van Heusen WOmen : The one stop shop for all your formal needs, They have skirts, dresses, shirts, pants and lots more. Its my fav store out of all the formal stores in India
Marks and Spencers: Very nice shirts, formal, tops, suits and pants. Fitting is not that great though
Mango: Great stylish trousers, and skirts
Penny Lane: Affordable option for some basic bright colored shirts
Zara: Formal tops in satin
F21 :(For Blazers only)There is nothing else in this shop that is formal
Vero Moda (For Blouses) : Nice European style formal blouses
Indian Churidar Kurta’s/ Salwar Kameez: Cottons (by Jaipur) (V . V highly recommended shop)
This was a post requested by Poohkie , who recently made a job switch to a more formal environment and was clueless about what to wear that was work appropriate , yet fun. Thanks for the request Poohkie, it was fun doing this, hope it helped !!!!
Follow peachesandblush on Instagram.