How to get Dewy Glowing Skin With Makeup : Tutorial

by Mehak Shahani on May 19, 2011

in Makeup Tutorials

I suspect there is a ghost on my blog who wants  dewy looking makeup very badly. Im not being delusional, i have a logical explanation to it ! See, when i put that poll on the right hand side ..in the first 2 days, all the categories had an equal number of votes. I tweeted about how unhelpful that was, and then …2 hours later the skin tutorial went ahead by a huuuuge margin!! Thats not all, the votes on the other categories actually reduced from 9 each to like 5 each or something (How does that happpen unless there are supernatural forces around???????) Anyway, i dont want to get on to the wrong side of spookie stuff yknow … so here goes…

Thats me at my cousins wedding. Example of glowy makeup !

Step 1: Just Moisturizer.
Thats me with no makeup on! Okay i concealed *SOME* of the dark circles cos i didnt want to scare you guys
Step 2: Liquid Foundation (Lakme Invisible Finish Foundation)

A few quick points:
  • Using a foundation brush makes a HUGE difference . It just helps foundation blend seamlessy into the skin .
  • I dab on foundation at the back of my hand , dip in my kabuki and then apply all over face. Dont forget to apply on your neck or yll be multicolored, and on areas lik eyelids, upper lip etc
After Foundation
Step 3: Concealer (MAC Select Moisture Cover)

Areas where you need to apply concealer(specially Indian women)
  • Around your mouth- a lot of us have discoloration around here.
  • Part where your nose meets your face(if that makes sense). Might seem inconsequential, but conceal that and see instantly your face looks clearer.
  • Under the eyes- use your ring finger and dab it on. Dont rub or stretch, make your finger wet for easier application.
  • Around the eye area- another place where indian women have major discoloration

After Concealer
Step 3 : Highlighter (Colorbar Radiant Glow Highlighter Pen)
Areas where you need to put highlighter are the highest points on your face:
  • Apples of cheeks extending till hairline
  • If you have a fat nose , then down the bridge of your nose makes it look slimmer
  • The brow bone makes for an arched eyebrow
  • The bow of your lip- gives an illusion of a fuller pout
  • Basically , if you face the sun and think of where the sunlight would hit you directly- thats where highlighter need to go.
After Highlighter
Step 4: Cream Blush(Add to the dewy! – MAC Lilicent)
Dab on the cream blush just below the highlighter
  • Cream blushes add to the wet dewy effect of highlighters .
  • Use a brush or finger to blend
  • Your cream blush should blend seamlessly into your highlighter which should seamlessly blend into your foundation. Use a brush to blend it all together
  • Think of these 3 as one makeup product all mixed together. They should all flow into each other to create a glowing dewy illusion.
The dewy look
Step 5:  If you have oily skin- then apply powder(leave your cheeks out though). For normal or dry skin, you can skip the powder. I skip it. Apply the rest of your makeup
Step 6: If all else fails. Just shoot with the ‘soft skin’ mode of your camera :p !!!  (or how my boss says -slather on lots of sunscreen to make your face shiny :p – no dont listen to that! )

Hope that helped girls. Now go ‘Do the Dew!’

(Btw the drink whose tagline this is…is so unappetizing ..it just looks like..well never mind)

PS:Do check out Lisa Elridges makeup videos. I love her philosophy on makeup and learn tons of stuff from her. She has a dewy skin makeup tutorial which i learnt a lot from.

nawsheen April 17, 2012 at 9:12 pm

Hi,

Can you please let me know what color of the lakme invisible finish have you used?

Thanks,
Nawsheen

mehak April 18, 2012 at 11:11 am

I have shade 02

lissa george April 29, 2012 at 5:07 pm

Hi Mehak,
can you pleases suggest me few good highlighters and what about their shades?? or does shimmer work like highlighter??

mehak April 29, 2012 at 9:31 pm

I like the colorbar radiant glow pen highlighter a lot- it just comes in one shade..shimmer also works in a highlighter form but not over the top shimmer..you want sheen not glitter…revlon skinlights is another one…also if you have a nice cream colored eyeshadow that could work as a highlighter too

Maansi May 11, 2012 at 11:33 am

Really nice tutorial!
I guess i rly m learnin a lot owed to your blog!
Thanks!

akhila June 17, 2012 at 8:53 am

wow, I never saw this post before….. very useful one …. I am NC45 per MAC, can you please suggest a good highlighter and blush for my kinda skin tone :) thank you

mehak June 17, 2012 at 10:06 am

Hi akhila, blush: mac fleur power, mac plum foolery , mac mocha, mac gingerly..
Highlighter u can take this one only: colorbar radiant glow ! Or revlon slinlights

akhila June 17, 2012 at 7:49 pm

Thank you so much …. I have bookmarked this post, will surely try these tips in my next team outing :) have a great week ahead :)

jaimy August 3, 2012 at 9:25 pm

i really loved your tutorial….very informative…….

Praks August 8, 2012 at 4:13 pm

I was searching for a good concealer which can hide my redness on cheeks, I dont have dark circles,

I wnt a concealer mixed with highlighter?

I have a combination skin, Can u plz advice?

mehak August 8, 2012 at 5:52 pm

concealer+highlighter together are rare. I advise you use two different things for that. Colorbar has a concealer which is good for spots…as for highlighter colorbar has a highlighter pen which is nice..

suraiya February 5, 2013 at 11:57 am

I think you are gorgeous! You have amazing facial bone structure and you could model.
I have watched Lisa’s videos and i too love her philosophy of “Less is More”.
This tutorial was indeed very helpful.

amy February 14, 2013 at 1:49 am

I’ve been looking for a brown girls make-up blog for sooooo long. thank you thank you thank you!!!! (found you threw pinterest btw) I love the fact that not only do you use high end make up but drug store brands too! although you do lean towards certain brands more then other lol. Any who looking forward to exploring your site.
peace

Aparna February 27, 2013 at 4:02 pm

that was so so helpfulllllll …thank u

Margaret May 4, 2013 at 2:04 pm

I generally don’t use makeup so when last evening i attended my cousin’s cocktail party exactly followed your way to makeup.I was so messed up with the tutorials all over the internet!
Your’s was the easiest and most effective one ,Trust me !!

For eyes a used a tint of light golden color towards the outside of my eyelids coz it goes well with indian skin and suits this kind of dewy makeup .

Overall,It came out amazingly good on my skin :D I got many compliments .All because of you
thankYou so Much !

mehak May 4, 2013 at 2:19 pm

Thanks margaret so glad you liked it!

Anu June 2, 2013 at 1:05 am

Hi Mehak!

U are flawlessly beautiful. :)

Would be glad if you tell me the lipcolor you’re wearing ! Looks really pretty on you.

Thanks in Heaps!!

NIVEDITHA July 23, 2013 at 1:29 pm

Hai mehak…well that was really helpfull for a college going girl like me. May i know what is a concealer?

akshara February 13, 2014 at 3:16 pm

can i use a cream blush without a highlighter

Pinky June 12, 2014 at 3:48 am

Hi Mehak,
This is one of the most helpful article. Can you please tell me which lipstick you are wearing, please I really need to get that shade