Bridal Files: 6 Months to Go- Makeup Trials, Shopping & Skincare

by mehak on December 1, 2011

in Bridal Blog, Bridal files countdown, Bridal Makeup, Bridal shopping

Hello fellow Bridezilla’s (or if you are nicer than me, then just Brides-to-be). With D Day being about 6 months away, and the functions taking place in a city which is alien to me (Hyderabad) , the ‘zilla’ in me is slowly coming out. So every month i will document how far along i went with the preparations, and apart from helping some of you out, it might also keep me sane!

6 Months To Go..Ding. Ding. Ding

*Start Your Lehenga Hunting  and Buy Your Trousseau Sarees!!!!
There are a million brides, and only so many Lehengas. Its a race !

No seriously, a bridal lehenga takes anywhere from 2 months to 5 months to be made, and with 6 months to go you NEED to get a start on this. Some tips:

• Have a clear budget in mind and even how much above/ below that you are willing to go. When you go to the shop, make sure you specify this.
  • Most non designer lehengas start at 35K( though honestly, i didnt like any of them at 35K- 50K) and go upto 4 L. Most designer lehengas start at 2.5L and go upto 10L.  I found some really nice non designer  options at 80K-1 .5L. Do let me know if you want me to do a post on bridal Lehengas  in Delhi ! Ihave done a PHD in that department!!
  • Do your research online. Check photos of runway, bridal weeks and what your taste   is like. You can look at pictures here .Ask them…Do you have ‘Sabyasachi ‘ Style Lehegas or ‘Manish Malhotra’ Style Lehengas
  • Dont rule out any option. Visit the designer malls even if theyr beyond your budget (they give you ideas), and also visit the narrow bylanes of Chandni Chowk. YYou dont want to buy something and feel- Damn, i paid too much or i compromised
  • Start purchasing your trousseau sarees, suits etc. Again let me know if you want me to do a post on that.
Where i am at?
  • So far, i have pretty much visited every store, and bylane in Delhi and zeroed in on 2 potential options
  • One is a multicolored full flare lehenga (Sabyasachi style) , one is an orange and Pink and Gold simple Lehenga (Anamika Khanna Style). Both cost less than 1.1 L. Ill buy it later sometime once im satisfied i have searched enough
  • Trousseau- Already bought 2 sarees!

*Start taking care of your skin and figuring out what works for you
  • Nothing major, and you don’t need to go and enroll in Pre Bridal Services yet, but start taking extra care of your skin. Experiment with face washes and creams to know which suits you best and start using those regularly. You dont want shocks near your wedding day.
  • Go for face cleanups once a month, so atleast your whiteheads / blackheads are not building up all the time.

Where i am at?
With Winter approaching, i have switched up my routine and im taking extra care in removing makeup and figuring out which remover is the best (You will need a LOT of remover near your wedding day). Also in terms of facewahses and moisturizers im trying to get a routine down that i shall write about the coming week!

*Makeup Trials
  • Now honestly, you can wait till later to get this done, but since my wedding is in a different city, i need to make sure i get trials done early because i cant keep visiting Hyderabad every month
  • Take recommendations from friends and look at their wedding photos.
  • What to look for in good bridal makeup: More than eye makeup, look at the foundation and base. Has it made you glow instantly?  Ultimately thats what matters. Your skin needs to look flawless and absolutely stunning. If that part of yr makeup is  okay, you can get away with a bright lippie and even kohl.
  • Ask your MUA which makeup she uses. It needs to be either MAC or Kryolan. Mine said MAC but she didnt use ANYTHING mac on me except one eyeshadow (Mac Humid -Listen Miss Makeup Lady, you didnt fool me !!! Those were NOT Mac Blushes!)
  • Schedule Trials and click photos of yourself.
  • Usually MUA’s charge about 8K-12K for wedding day makeup. But very popular ones can charge even 20-50K
Where i am at?
I have only got one makeup trial done, because all other MUA’s are busy till Feburary!!!! So next set of trials happen then. More the reason why you need to start trials early- you never know who is busy when!  My makeup trial- FAIL!!!

Hardeep January 17, 2012 at 11:26 am

@Mehak- Looovee your blog! I’m getting married early next year and have just started on the wedding shopping thought process (already confused with what-to-begin!). Am so glad I found your blog. Super-like! And congratulations on your wedding :) I am convinced that you will make a beautiful bride. Do share pictures of your d-day with us :)

mehak January 17, 2012 at 12:23 pm

Aww thanks Hardeep!!!! Ill definitely share pictures ! Stay tuned for more bridal posts

Vipra February 2, 2012 at 1:17 pm

Hi Mehak,

Congratulations on your wedding! Thank you for the wonderful article. I am from Mumbai and will be getting married in March in Hyderabad. I live in US so I will be going to India just 20 days before my wedding. I haven’t finished shopping and for that matter anything yet. I am looking for a makeup artist in Hyd. Could you suggest me some names as I should start taking appointments now.

Thank you.

Nez April 29, 2012 at 10:28 pm

Hi Mehak :)
New reader/sudden fan of your blog :P
Love your posts, especially the Bridal ones .
Need help with choosing a good make up remover, pretty please? Oily to combo skin :)

mehak April 29, 2012 at 10:37 pm

Hi Nez!!! makeup remover…hmmm i actually just use oil…its the cheapest and most effective one..but if you have oily skin…try the chambor makeup remover i like tht..if yr on a budget then the maybelline one does a good job too!

mehak April 29, 2012 at 10:38 pm

But if you really really want a super effective one and dont mind splurging then MAC purple bottle one is definitely up there

Madhu May 29, 2012 at 12:37 pm

Dear Mehak,

congrats on ur upcoming nuptials, someone sent me a link of ur blog and reading ur trails and tribulations to the big day bought everything i went thru 12 years ago lol.. am a hardcore delhi grl and was doing all this crazy routine, running everylane to find things perfect :))) u remind me of myself in 2000 hahha best of luk , i haven’t read all ur posts but r u going to wear a chuura , if yes …i know its shud be hidden frm grl etc but i sneaked to chandani chowk and pointed out my preferences so that mami amd mama know what i want and later theycan do it sneakingly ;)

mehak May 29, 2012 at 12:59 pm

Yes i am actually going to wear a chura…
Yr still reading the 6 months now at less than a month. My mami and mama are in ludhiana actjually and the sweetly asked me to choose my own from delhi and i ws going to do that. Except my hyper nani called in between and said all hell will break loose if i see my chura ! Hence they only bought it :p

mehak May 29, 2012 at 1:01 pm

And thanks about the wedding :)
My family keeps saying- why do you share so much on the internet, and sometimes i think about it too. But then with all the amazing people who read and comment i feel like everyone is a part of the celebrations!!!

nisha July 30, 2012 at 12:00 pm

Hey Mehak..firstly congratulations!! your blog is a life saver for someone like me who is planning to come down to Delhi for her trousseau shopping!! I am from Kolkata and donno much abt Delhi except that i wanna do most of my shooping from there..phew!! tough job..i am getting married in Jan and planning to visit Delhi sometime early sept…i hope that’s not late…but the sale wud be sometime around sept nahi? looking forward to see ur pics!!

mehak July 30, 2012 at 1:33 pm

Pics are already up! yr reading an oldddp post

Nayan August 13, 2012 at 6:16 pm

Hey Mehak!!! I Simply loved your post….I’m getting married this year end..I’m too confused what make uo artist should I opt for in Delhi….Vidya Tikari or a normal lakme salon….I’ve got my roka in october which again would be a big celebration before the Big Day…..Please suggest me something……

mehak August 13, 2012 at 6:32 pm

Hi nayab check out this post:
I recommend chandni singh /shalini singh/vidya tikari.

Nirmiti December 17, 2012 at 12:43 pm

Hi Mehak!! read your post and loved it :D I am a Mumbai based girl and have heard that Delhi offers a wide range of options for bridal wear. Would really like to know places from where I can buy bridal & party wear designer lehengas (those designer replicas).

Love xoxo

vidhi January 2, 2013 at 7:22 pm

Hey Mehak,

I have to attend my boyfriend’s (my future hubby ;-) ) elder brother’s marriage in May,2013. Could you please suggest some good parlours for the light make-up with their charges (Near East of Kailash, Delhi) and some near Hari Nagar (West delhi)… Really need ur help on this… if you are aware of those that charge reasonable amount, please let me know as I dont want very heavy make-up….

Bit conscious coz I would be meeting my future in-laws and other relatives of my boyfriend…. so please help me out….

vidhi January 7, 2013 at 4:56 pm

Hi Mehak,

I am still waiting for ur reply :(

mehak January 7, 2013 at 6:55 pm

Vidhi im not aware of artists fr non bridal..

alfia ravuthar April 24, 2013 at 6:20 pm

i love your blog..and m happi to get help form it
could you please do a post on bridal bridal Lehengas in Delhi !

Gia Pahuja May 22, 2013 at 12:14 am

Im a makeup artist based in Mumbai, also providing a free trial.
You can email me on

Akansha June 3, 2013 at 10:45 am

Do you know any nice place in Delhi to rent bridal lehngas?

swati wadhwa July 10, 2013 at 12:58 pm was nice reading your article.
I am gettin married in december. I usually do too much of google on any subject as and when required.
Looks like I have already zeroed on your blogs for information required.
Great work girl!!!!

pallavi gupta July 21, 2014 at 8:19 pm

hi, I’ve been going through your blog and i love reading it. thanks for all the tips and ideas. i have some very important questions and would love you to help me out plz.
I am getting married in April 2015, and iv been on a hunt for my sarees, suits, and the wedding lehnga. Unfortunately i haven’t found my perfect one yet. my budget is not more than a 50-80K as i know i would never wear it again, plus i do like only traditional stuff, hate those big goody stones and net lehngas, It would be absolutely great if you can suggest me some places for the lehnga. I have visited, frontier ras, ushnak mal, gyans, anarkali and karol bagh etc. haven’t found it yet.
Waiting for your post.. thanks.

shubi November 22, 2014 at 12:28 pm

hi mehak… my wedding in next 6 months n this is exactly where i am at !! lol .. this is a fun and useful blog!! lvin it

Amarjot May 27, 2015 at 12:34 pm

Hey, loved your blog, and your statement about having done a Phd on bridal lehengas. :P
I am planning to buy it from Delhi, pleeeease suggest. Would love to hear about your research. Looking forward to your response! Thanks! :)