Bridal Files: 5 Months to Go- Buying Engagement Outfits & More

by mehak on January 18, 2012

in Bridal Blog, Bridal files countdown

Have you met a girl who buys her engagement outfit in 4 minutes flat? Moreover have you met a girl who not only buys her engagement outfit in 4 minutes flat, but it ends up being everything she had said she doesnt want to wear? Well let me introduce you to me !

How i bought my engagement outfit

We were strolling through Crescent at the Qutab (a designer mall), for lack of better things to do (actually, there was no electricity at home and hence we were there  :p ) when this happened.

My mom said “Suneet Verma is on sale upto 60% lets check it out”

Me “Pfft..whats the point..even after 60% he is pretty unaffordable . Leave it lets finish our ice cream and go”

Mom “Arre , whose buying..come we will try pretty things”

Me” Oh you mean i will try pretty things to entertain you and you will sit nicely and get entertained while i have to do all the work”

Mom “Yes exactly”

Me” No thank you, we will just go see, im not trying on anything”

So we enter the store, and i love all the sarees and blouses and stuff, there is a super pretty lehenga that is way beyond our budget and we are ready to come out when i see this little greyish lavender net thing stuffed in a corner.  Intrigued i go towards it to find that it is a dove grey and lavender gown with gold embroidery all over it and little wafts of net attached all around the skirt of it- very vintagey and very ‘princess kinds, but its just stuffed in a corner poor thing.

Me “Hmm.pretty”

Mom” Try it on!!!!”

Me “No whats the point. Im not wearing a gown on my engagement please! Iv made fun of girls who wear gowns on their engagement,  i dont want to be one of its grey and lavender- totally  not engagement appropriate”

Mom “Shut up. Try it”

Me meekly “Ok”

Sometimes you wear a piece of clothing that is designed to be worn by you.For me this was one of them. From the moment that gown slipped over my head, and i zipped up the side, i felt i was like a little disney princess. It has these floaty net materials attached to it giving it a very vintage, ethereal look and it flares down slightly  at the bottom. Really the only thing that was left to complete tthe outfit for me was a magic wand with a star on top- thats how princessy i felt. Moreover the embroidery is actually very indian, so it doesnt look like a western gown at all, but an indian outfit.

I step out of the trial room

Mom with mouth open “Buy itttt!!!!!! You look like tinkerbell”

Me” I dont knowwww….its a gown, its not indian. Is it a good thing to look like tinkerbell? Its strappy. Can a bride wear strappy things?”

Mom” We will indianise it  with a dupatta /stole kind of thing.  Who cares if its strappy, you look good in strappy, i wish i could wear strappy ! Please just buy it. If nothing else wear it for your youngsters party “

Me thinking to myself  *Are you kidding me, im not wearing a heavy  gown to my youngsters where drinks might be spilt all over it*

Mom is already at the cashier counter “How much is this”

Cashier girl” 90,000″ Maam.

Me looking slightly crestfallen “Oh, ok…i guess we can look more”

Cashier girl ” Its on flat 65% off, this is the only piece with this much discount”

Mom “Whaaa? Okay bill it bill it !!!! Before anyone takes it bill it !!!

And thats how i bought my engagement oufit in 4 minutes flat- and it ended up being everything i told my mom i didnt want to buy. I acually remixed it a bit , and added indian accents to it, but its really the fit that got me hook , line and sinker. I really just feel like tinkerbell waiting for my peter pan (Except ill kill the boy if he wears a green coat like peter pan). Sigh. I hope the rest of my extended punjabi family understands it, and doesnt get dissapointed that there is no ‘bling quotient’ to it.

Hair Care

This is something i am struggling with because i have a major hair loss problem. Im talking the kinds where iv been to every doctor in the city but nothing has come out of it. I am currently doing a treatment by “Kamini Aunty”- yes thats her name. She is this woman in Delhi who swears she can grow your hair back, and iv heard about her from actually 5 different sources! So she gives me an oil, a ginger tonic and a herbal hair pack whose contents she refuses to reveal.Surprisingly, its been working really really well, my hair texture has improved by miles since i started using this and im going to step it up closer to the wedding! I would really recommend “Kamini Aunty” to everyone in Delhi. She is talked about in hush hush tones and she is one of Delhi’s well kept secrets!!

Ill be honest, i havent done anything on this front like zilch. I want to do a bridal skincare post, specially because my sister has chanced upon this ingredient which has totally cleared up her skin!  I need to work out a plan for me, i tend to take my skin for granted since it always works itself out, but some planning is long over due!

Makeup Artist Updates

After a ton of recmmendations, i have fixed a trial with a “Tanuja” from Bubbles salon in Hyderabad. Ill be there next month for that. Fingers crossed it all goes well !!!!

What you should be doing 5 months prior to wedding

• Start purchasing your mehendi and engagement outfits (Ideas for mehendi outfits people?  It has to be sleeveless and there will be mehendi on my feet so nothing too long either. My sister wore a short lehenga with the skirt coming just below her knees and she wore jewellery all made out of real flowers. It was adorable!!)
  • Narrow down your lehenga choices to your favourite 2 (its difficult i know)
  • Make sure you are wearing sunblock everyday, and moisturizing your skin at night . If you suffer from dull skin then try out those Ponds Micro Dermabrasion kits i have heard so much about
  • If you do have problematic hair, then start with hair spa’s or go to a derm who might give you some suggestion. ALWAYS test out products on a patch. A friend of mine is getting married in 3 weeks and she put a cream on her arm which burnt (yes burnt) her entire arm. The marks wont go till  6-7 months :(

WickedJuliet January 18, 2012 at 10:09 am

Oh My God, first of all Congratulations!!!

I’m really looking forward to see the outfit !!!!

I want Kamini Aunty’s address!!

Hardeep January 18, 2012 at 6:01 am

Well to the would-be Tinkerbell, I say nice to meet you :) I say screw the bling..if the dress feels just right in comfort n budget, then take it..And I’m sure the happy glow on your face will add enough bling to outshine everyone else :)

I really like your write-ups with the touch of humour :) Makes for a great read..not to mention, your tips are useful as well. Have bookmarked your blog for must-read daily :) Could you pls share the coordinates of Kamini Aunty..maybe she can save the fast-falling locks atop my skull..Tried Dr. Batra’s..proved to be waste of time..Look forward to reading your skincare post.. :)

mehak January 18, 2012 at 6:09 am

Yes will share kamini aunties details…shes in safdarjung!!! Will search her number n tell u

mehak January 18, 2012 at 11:48 am

Bubbles is good – didn’t know t hey do make-up, but their foot massages are good. And plz share this Kamini Aunty’s detalis. I hv been visiting RichFeel Trichologists for years&years&years…but in vain :(. Also the secret ingredient that ur sis used to clear her skin. You can’t just tease us u know.. u hv to give us details!

DevilishAngel January 18, 2012 at 6:17 am

1slty, congo 4 ur wedding! May god bless u wid loadz louuuuuu n smiles!

n me too! I want details regarding Kamini aunty :D

N yeah.. i too went for hair spa n it actually made a gr8 difference for my hair n regular oiling too is showing good results, though slowly

n really sorry 4 ur frnd.. i guess she can visit derma or try famous home remedies 4 it .. n congo 2 her too.. god bless u both :)

mehak January 18, 2012 at 9:54 am

aaliya January 18, 2012 at 6:49 am

cogratulations for ur wedding mehak… :D :D i am sure u must be looking stunning in gown..! :D i am already awaiting the engagement pictures..:D :D

mehak January 18, 2012 at 9:54 am

Thanks aaliya!

Kejal January 18, 2012 at 7:03 am

Hail “Kamini Aunty”!! LOL! I happy u picked what u liked..its ur day…forgot blingy relatives. How about a sneak peak of the gown..? Maybe after ur engagement?
Best of luck with tanuja!!

Kejal January 18, 2012 at 7:04 am

i mean “forget blingy relatives”

Shruti29 January 18, 2012 at 7:32 am

Getting Married …. Congratulations :) Enjoyed the post.

Rakhi January 18, 2012 at 8:01 am

Hi Mehak,
Congratulations on your upcoming nuptials :D I too got married in a completely alien city so I know what you are going through when it comes to finding the ideal makeup artist. Good luck with your makeup trial!! Hope it works out!
Kamini Aunty? Really? Has she helped with your hairloss? I suffer from acute hairloss and have tried every trichologist i can locate. Could you please email me her details? I should be in Delhi later this month, will prob give her a shout..Thanks a mil !!

mehak January 18, 2012 at 9:55 am

Hi Rakhi ,
Yes she has definitely helped with hairfall!! Iv realised nothing works like agic, but atleast i see some results from her!!!

Manya January 18, 2012 at 7:54 am

I would love to see disney pricncess outfit sooo much! Good that your hair improved with those packs and all, even me want ! :p

prerna January 18, 2012 at 7:58 am

stumbled across your awesome your posts.

and congratulations on your upcoming wedding!! exciting must be with all the preps!.and your mom sounds so cute n adorable!.
would love to see the pics sometime . and maybe you could you give us a lil peek into your luv story..!lol.

mehak January 18, 2012 at 9:58 am

hi prerna….haha love story..sure!!!!
I keep telling my boy..lets make up an exciting story of how we met so we can tell our kids..But basically we interned at the same place…ill do a post on it sometime :)

prerna January 18, 2012 at 10:32 am

ya..definitely would love to hear from how you met to meet the parents!lol..might sound nosey but im excitd for you and the boy :).

yep.would love to see your pics whenever you upload them.hv fun!

makeup chic January 18, 2012 at 8:12 am

can v have a pic of your gown so eager to see it <3

mehak January 18, 2012 at 9:57 am

pic of gown with me in it after the engagement!

Thiya January 18, 2012 at 8:30 am

Hi Mehak,

as my wedding will be end of june I am so excited to read your bridal files. Why do you use sunblock? To prevent darkening skin?

Is Vatika oil good for hair growth too?

Thanks in advance

mehak January 18, 2012 at 8:44 am

Sunblock is a must use. It prevent spots, it delays ageing…and yes it keeps your skin prveented from tanning..

Meenu January 18, 2012 at 8:42 am

Hilarious! You bought your outfit in 4 minutes… bravo!! Your gown sounds so tempting, please show the picture after engagement atleast :P.
Oh BTW, that “Kamini aunty” is not a secret anymore… good job Mehak. Lol! But what I fail to understand is why was she a secret on the first place?

mehak January 18, 2012 at 9:56 am

Ye syes pictures after engagement toh definitely!!! Actually, she doesnt advertise at all and i think women dont want to tell other women about her because already you have to wait for 2 hours for your turn even after an appointment. Slightly more popular and she will become inaccesible

Sweet&Bitter January 18, 2012 at 10:09 am

ohhh dear :)

would love to see your gown…..please give a sneak peak if your mom allows….even my mom makes me wear cloths all the time for her entertainment ….. ^_^

And need Kamini Aunty’s no….i googled but the results weren’t much pleasing..has safe search off ;)

Very nice tip regarding the patch thing…totally agree. I have a work-on-its-own-smooth-skin and tried to do a facial to impress my boy…..ended up with ended with a visit to dermatologist for all over face pimples

nidhi January 18, 2012 at 10:12 am

It’s always fun to read your bridal update posts. I got my bridal lengha like this only, only in 5 minutes, and can you imagine, me and my would be hubby( that time) just passing by the shop and he stopped me to try things out. Enjoy this period and make it remember-able :)

Sweet&Bitter January 18, 2012 at 10:20 am

ohhh dear,

would love to see your gown…do give a sneak pic if your Mom alows…even my Mom makes me wear stuffs for her entertainment :D

Sweet&Bitter January 18, 2012 at 10:32 am

arey…2 2 comments….i thought pehla wala post nahin kara maine so commented again …. :(

anupam joon January 18, 2012 at 10:39 am

Congrats on the upcoming wedding!!btw wats the secret skin clearing ingredient Mehak..please do share!!

mehak January 18, 2012 at 10:46 am

Hey yes will do in a bit !!!

ashwini January 18, 2012 at 11:29 am

hi mehak…congragulations…..the dress sounds like a fairy tale one….go ahead n u deserve a fairy tale wedding…..i got married recently n i can understand that totally…..all ur suggestions are good…exactly what i would have done… a doctor n believe me chemical peels or exfoliation are far superior to fancy parlour facials……i had uneven skin tone n acne marks…i did chemical(glycolic)peel from my senior doctor n 3 sittings of aqua radiance at kaya skin clinic…there also i knew the doctor who was working on me…it made a huge difference so much that the effects are still with me…i got that perfect glow which im maintaining even now….

mehak January 18, 2012 at 5:50 pm

Thanks ashwini will defiitel do some research into t

ritu January 18, 2012 at 11:38 am

Kamini Jha’s Keshika Hair Clinic, A-2/88 Safdarjung Enclave, second floor (2617-3702). Mon-Sat 10.30am-7.30pm. Treatments start from Rs 300.

ritu January 18, 2012 at 11:43 am

i thought i should help mehak and save her from distracting her attention.too much of stress can lead to some skin or hair problem which all of us do not want.
so cheer up ladies.

mehak January 18, 2012 at 12:10 pm

Haha thanks ritu! yup thats the one..though treatments are nothing less than 900 per sitting.

Kannu January 18, 2012 at 12:58 pm

nice nice.. that was quick ! I know its not easy to decide especially for yr own function … the mind is always puzzled …

Pooja@IBC January 18, 2012 at 1:17 pm

Congrats! Your engagement gown sounds fabulous can’t wait to check out the pics! when is the engagement?

Bhumika January 18, 2012 at 2:05 pm

The gown sounds awesome..would wait for the pics :)

pavani reddy January 18, 2012 at 4:06 pm

i have said u many times before..but repeating myself i just loveeee ur bridal happy that u got the dress u wanted mehak..n dont forget to post the secret ingredient ur sister used…very curious for the pics..

mehak January 18, 2012 at 5:50 pm

Ye yes very soon!

Rima January 18, 2012 at 4:46 pm

I was quite busy for the last few weeks…and now i m sooo happy to see that ur blog has got such a nice look!!i like it!!!

the description of your gown is itself very beautiful,tinkerbell!!!:) :)would really love to see ur pictures wearing that..probably after the engagement…..anyways all the very best!!:)

mehak January 18, 2012 at 5:47 pm

Thakn youuuu!! Im so happy you like the new look i ws really worried about that!
Yes pics after engagement!

ANSHMIR January 18, 2012 at 6:09 pm

congrats mehak :) “A GOWN ON UR ENGAGEMENT CEREMONY ” !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :)
wow u r so gonna rock it :)

Chris January 18, 2012 at 7:25 pm

As soon as the evil eye looks away from you, share the photos!!! I have to see this gown! :P

Vanity January 18, 2012 at 9:21 pm

okay so m one of those who make fun of girls wearing gowns on thr receptions…but since you say it is very princessy…i will not make fun of you, promise! i know how punjabi aunties and cousins expect us to go all blingy and cham cham!

Mehak January 19, 2012 at 4:08 am

Thanks Ansh!!! I know wht u mean abt making fun i always used to be like – cheee these girls wear those satins atin gowns at their reception whts wong with them..indian kapde hatam ho gae kya…and look now im one of them..but its super pretty and not satiny and gowny!!! :p

Shruti January 19, 2012 at 12:00 am

Hey Mehak!

It would be great if you could share your experiences with buying jewelry to go with the outfits. I know of Amrapali but that’s about it.

PS. I just bought my engagement anarkali and wedding lehenga in flat 30 minutes myself! I was in Delhi for a short trip and wanted to make the best of my time. Ogaan at Hauz Khas village was my savior! Honestly, I felt that Fronteir Raas doesn’t hold a candle to the quality and taste of Hauz Khas Village.

mehak January 19, 2012 at 3:45 am

Jewellery is moms deptt!! I love ogaan for their suits and sarees but i find their lehengas too expensive!!
Most of my real jewellery is from family from exhibitons and stuff..amrapali is stunning but its beyond exzpensive…like wayy wayy expensive

Shruti January 19, 2012 at 4:30 am

Uh huh, really?I think I got a pretty good deal on my lehenga then! I couldn’t be more excited! ;)

mehak January 19, 2012 at 4:58 am

Yay good for you! What color!

mehak January 19, 2012 at 8:39 am

Also ..what type of jewellery r u looking for?
The thing with amrapali is its all made in silver, but they charge such a premium over the going silver rate…there is a shop called appala in gurgaon which has amrapali kind of stuff but slightly cheaper. Otherwise if you tell me wht yr looking at i can try n help you!
Karigari is another store which you may want to check out…

shruti January 19, 2012 at 2:32 pm

Thank you!
I bought one in a dull gold base with maroon, red and mustard work on the ghera and kaliyan. chunni is the prettiest shade of pomegranate red with a cut-work border. description does no justice to its beauty! :D
Well, right now I’m still not sure about the jewelry I want. For the lehenga I want something that doesn’t overwhelm the look..definitely colored stones of a single color (Im thinking mustard to bring out the red in the chunni). For my engagement anarkali, I need something in white stones/polki.

shruti January 19, 2012 at 2:33 pm

oops I meant maroon, green and mustard.

Riya January 19, 2012 at 4:46 am

Congrats Mehak, that u were able to do it fast! awaiting engagement pics!

treeza January 19, 2012 at 6:18 am

You wrote it all so well dear…Now just waiting for the pics…good luck for ur further hunt….

Ishita January 19, 2012 at 7:34 am

mehek wud like to see ur engagement outfit :D

Lushbox January 19, 2012 at 8:24 am

Congrats! I am sure you look amazing in your dress!
Also, for make-up, try the folks at Mirrors as well.

Kajal Couture January 19, 2012 at 2:15 pm

Man, I wish we had those “aunties” here in the US. I really do miss that everytime I go to India and then come back.

I can’t wait to see pics of your lehenga! Sounds like something my mom would have wanted me to wear. I was the one who wanted a traditional panetar saree for the ceremony and she kept saying no, wear a modern lehenga because a saree will make you look old. Guess what, after the first saree I tried, I saw myself and hated it and picked a lehenga. Its good you went with your instinct…that is how it should be! Can’t wait to hear more of your bridal shopping!

Emm January 19, 2012 at 11:18 am

Does your sister have oily skin by any chance? If that’s the case do a post on it…pretty please:)
Kamini aunty? lol!
And Tinkerbell is definitely good…..Jasmine might have been a bit risky!

mehak January 19, 2012 at 2:58 pm

she does hv oily skin!! WIll post soon !!

Poornima January 19, 2012 at 1:26 pm

So sweet…I love the way you are recording all these details on the blog…Imagine the fun you will have reading it..say maybe 3 or 4 years down the line.

And yeah much awaiting to see that gown that makes you look like Tinkerbell :-))

Sukanya January 21, 2012 at 1:22 pm

Mehak,can you pester Kamini Aunty to pay a Kolkata visit anyway?? tempt her na :P

mehak January 21, 2012 at 1:40 pm

Haha kamini aunty is honestly one eccentric lady i try an stay out of her way as much as possible. She has these “Didi’s” (yes i know aunties and didies!!!) that work for her that i interact with!

Gauri January 22, 2012 at 4:27 pm

Please ship Kamini Aunty to Mumbai :D

Sonia April 18, 2012 at 11:50 am

Your website has been really helpful so far! I’m 5 months away from my own wedding and in the middle of planning an itinerary for wedding shopping in India (I live somewhere in South-East Asia, not too far away). Frankly, the only thing that’s saving me from a nervous breakdown is the details listed in your website, been jotting down the shops’ names like madness! Thank you so much, love!
I’m one click away from planning a date to visit Delhi for wedding shopping and was hoping that you would know whats the best period to visit i.e, the sale period. Would it be better to visit in May or should I wait until June/July 2012? I probably will have only 2-3 weeks to get everything done (shop for my own and my extended family and his extended family…. god).
Please help me from going broke! xx

mehak April 18, 2012 at 11:56 am

Haha ..Hi Sonia ..Congrats on your wedding !!!
Well ..may-june-july are all similar..Mostly the sales start around august-september since nov-dec is a wedding season and they start again in Feb-march since June is a wedding season. But you shall anyway be bargaining so sales dont really matter. Specially in lehengas- most of the sale stuff is really crap.
But June-July might be a better time as some of the sales start at that time…atleast all the saree shops etc go on sale!

mehak April 18, 2012 at 1:20 pm

Hope yv read the ” Where to buy bridal lehenga” and ” where to buy trousseau saris” post????

shraddha April 27, 2012 at 2:47 pm

hey mehak
thanks for the blog on bridal trousseau
and also for kamini aunty………. life saviour
ur blogs are just awesome

Neetika October 30, 2013 at 2:09 pm

Hi Mehak,

I have been following your blog ever since i found it. Can u pls pls pls share kamini aunties contact.
Thanks alot.You are doing a commendable job by helping so many brides like me. I also dropped a mail to u regarding my dilemma about MUA in Hyderbad.

sunny sankla February 20, 2014 at 10:14 am

Kamini Aunty details – A-2/88, Safdarjung Enclave, Delhi – 110029 View Map

(011) 26108971, 26173702

pari October 27, 2014 at 12:56 pm

hi i wanted to ask you if you benefited from kamini aunty’s hair treatment and did it reduce hairfall? appreciate your response. thanks

Kunjan July 15, 2016 at 11:20 am

can you post a pic of your sister’s mehandi outfit?