How to Get Clearer Skin with Nutmeg!

by mehak on January 23, 2012

in Skincare

Between my sister and me, she has always been the one with the glossy, straight, movie star  hair while i have been cursed with the wavy, rough, frizzy, prone to breakage,weak hair. Alternatively, i have been the one with clear skin which mostly behaves itself, while she has oily and acne prone skin.So when recently, i saw her sporting a clearer more even skin tone i was like “Wha? How has your skin become so clear” . “Nutmeg” she said happily . “Baking Soda for acne, and nutmeg for clearer skin” she added. I was intrigued to know the whole story, and thought some of you oily skinned girls might take a note or two from her.

How to get clearer skin

(Specially for those with oily, acne prone skin)

1. For flattening out acne: She mixed Baking Soda with water till it formed a paste like consistency and applied it on each breakout area. Within 2-3 days, the breakout flattens and the redness goes.
  2. For clearer , more even skin:She took nutmeg and ground it against a stone slab with water. It immediately starts dissolving and formed a rough paste like consistency. She also added some crushed cinnamon to it but that is optional. She put this on her face everyday for 2-3  weeks, making sure the paste is on her face for ATLEAST an hour!! By the end of the third week the spots on her face lightened, and her skin was more even and smoother in tone with the spots from earlier acne having dissapeared!!

Nutmeg has antiseptic properties which are good for your skin and also contains some essential oils which benefit your skin too! Whatever other skincare p0roperties it has, im just amazed at how clear my sisters skin has become with this little trick. Brides to be who want an easy DIY skincare recipe- try this for a month prior to your wedding ! Always test it out on a patch first though- you dont want to have an allergic reaction

Btw, in Arab countries Nutmeg is used as an aphrodisiac ..Just saying.

If you liked this , you might also want to check out my  home made beauty recipes post

So now, my sister is the one with glossy movie star hair and clear skin, and im just left with the frizzy mess. Oh great. :p

anks January 23, 2012 at 6:36 am

pls give your sister a big hug from me… am gonna do this right away…. oh and hugs to you too for sharing this :p

pandora January 23, 2012 at 6:51 am is a dumb question. Do I grind the whole nutmeg shell included? Or just the fruit inside?:)

mehak January 23, 2012 at 6:53 am

Not dumb at all!! I think its the whole thing bt i shall confirm

Swapna January 23, 2012 at 6:58 am

Hey Mehak! New to your blog and thanks a ton for this advice. I have been struggling with a breakout epidemic for a month now and I really hope this might help. :)

mehak January 23, 2012 at 7:03 am

I hope it helps u too swapna !!! It takes some amount of diligence to do it everyday but i casn telkl u its worth it !

Vanity January 23, 2012 at 7:52 am

ur sis sounds like my lost cousin…movie star hair, acne prone oily sensitive skin…its me! :P
i’ll try that for sure and will either update u with a gud news or would be asking ur address to get back at ur sissy!

mehak January 23, 2012 at 2:44 pm

Hehe!!! Good news or sure bad news toh nahi hoga

Nisha January 23, 2012 at 7:53 am

Lol! This is awesome! I doubt I can try this though, nutmeg makes me really REALLY sleepy.. Maybe before bed? ;)

Sweet&Bitter January 23, 2012 at 8:46 am

real nice tip…anyone tried asprin for pimple? same effect as baking soda..

Poornima January 23, 2012 at 9:45 am

Bang on!!

Clear skinis what I want like RIGHT NOW!!

Good post Mehak..Never knew Nutmeg had such use in skin care..In my in laws place, it grows in plenty and we have even orchards of nutmeg(cash crop). And all we used to do was pickle them while tender and gobble em up!

mehak January 23, 2012 at 2:45 pm

haha now you have another use for it…
Cash Crop? Nutmeg is jaifal no?

Shruti29 January 23, 2012 at 10:27 am

Wow, Really nice tips, Though I don’t have acne’s and breakouts on my skin, Touch Wood :) but once in a while they show up from no where , so for that I think these tips are great.

Kanika justa January 23, 2012 at 10:45 am

i do it everyday :D it does help..i rub it on a rough surface along wid sandalwood stick and apply it on my face :)

CoralCrue January 23, 2012 at 12:53 pm

hey! i loved this post. totally, totally trying this out and wala! i have ground nutmeg with me already :)

pavani reddy January 23, 2012 at 1:16 pm

wow..thank you for this tip mehak…will try it soon….

Megha January 23, 2012 at 5:09 pm

awesome tip mehak…..wud try it.

anupam joon January 23, 2012 at 5:46 pm

thank you for posting it Mehak!!will definately try this one for my breakouts!nothing seems to be working and i am in a “NO Allopathy” phase..thanks again!

Donna January 23, 2012 at 10:26 pm

I wonder if this will work with store bought nutmeg powder or if you need the freshly ground nutmeg? I think I will be lazy and try that since while my skin is oily I am not especially prone to breakouts anymore. It would still be nice to see if it controls the oil better and gives me better skin tone, no?

mehak January 24, 2012 at 6:27 am

i think freshly ground shoudl mwork best but u cant experiment!

Vidya January 24, 2012 at 2:29 pm

Hi Mehak,

I luuuuuuuuurrrrv your blog! Sachhi :-).

A question: For how long do you have to keep the baking soda + water mixture on the acne spots?
Also is it the whole nutmeg or only the inside of it?

Kejal January 24, 2012 at 5:18 pm

Sounds like a good tip..m gonna try.

Shveta February 12, 2012 at 1:12 pm

Hey.. Hi..

It kind of stung when I tried it on..

Instead of mixing with water.. I mixed it with rose water.. But I doubt that could be the reason.. And it felt very scrub-like.. Was wondering if I should do it everyday for three weeks?? My skin is pretty clear anyway..

Anupa March 1, 2012 at 1:33 am

hey tried it…but at times d skin burns rlly bad wen applied,so hd to wash off in 5 mins….but it does give a clearer skin wen applied regularly……

dhivyasampathh June 21, 2013 at 12:15 pm

wanna try t out 4m tday..

keerthana March 30, 2014 at 12:44 am

yeah i have the habbit of using nutmeg for last six years during summer(as i get more pimples during summer)…it creates wonders on the skin.. i also recommended it to many and all gave me a positive result

khushee April 19, 2014 at 7:14 pm

Lovely review… I have been using nutmeg with molk as a face scrub & it has done wonders for my dry skin … Get a few breakouts sumtyms will try the baking soda tip .. Thx

khushee April 19, 2014 at 7:14 pm

Lovely review… I have been using nutmeg with milk as a face scrub & it has done wonders for my dry skin … Get a few breakouts sumtyms will try the baking soda tip .. Thx

Bhawana gurung August 28, 2014 at 11:23 pm

Recently I hv got light dark patch on my face. Im so tensed ii never hd befor. I used to hv clear skin. I want to gt rid of this dark spot. So whn I ws tryin to gt some home remedy frm Google I got ur netmag idea. Il try it ftm today. Hope this wil work nd il gt clear face again. Thank u fr ur tips.

aarti November 13, 2014 at 8:54 am

Hi mehak..
I have an acne prone skin.get breakouts quite often .however the most troubling part is the scar that they leave behind.
I drink a lot of water every day so my water intake is good.
I need something for my scars.
I have started using nutmeg +honey+milk paste in night and wait for 30 mins with it on my face.
I have a really imp /special occasion coming up by Nov end that I have to look pretty in. Can’t put make up either, so have to b natural but with these all scars ..they just ruin everything.
Could you pls also suggest something that can b applied on the pimple as soon as I see it.
I also apply curd+honey+haldi pack as it cools the skin down .
Pls suggest ..