Bridal Files – 4 Months to Go : Household Shopping, Rings, Bachelorette Trips & More

by mehak on February 19, 2012

in Bridal Blog, Bridal files countdown

You know you have grown up when you need to save for refridegraters and microwaves and household furniture instead of the next Mac Collection. With the boy having moved to delhi, we have started to purchase a lot of things that would be needed in the future for us too.Sigh. Welcome to my life- which these days consists of these type of dialogues:

Me: ” This fridge looks nice. Its big too,  Samsung is a good brand. In budget. We can buy this”

Sales Person ” Yes maam and this has xyz type of feature in which extra defrost happens and this micro cooling pad will keep things fresh and moisture locking will ensure that the freezer control is always in balance”

Me looking blank , whispering to the boy “What does that mean?”

Boy trying to look intelligent till he gives up ” No idea”

Me calling mom on cell phone ” Mummmaaaaaaa what is a good fridge supposed to have”

Yes. Iv entered grown up life and im not quite sure im liking it!!!! I really feel like me and the boy are two little kids who are entering this big bad world of living alone and marriage and im not sure i can handle  managing maids and appliances and juggling my job and blog along side all that ! Phew!!

Bachelorette Trips

In other more fun news, i am off for a little Bachelorette trip with my girlssss Yipppeeeeee!! But god decided to play spoilsport, when just days before we leave for Goa there is now a “Decorum Agenda in Goa”. Apparently, since Goa elections are closed everything in Goa (Restaurants, parties, shacks) will all shut down by 11. I was pretty bummed earlier, but its me and my 4 close girl friends, so it will be a blast either way!! I leave this weekend!!!

As of now im packing the shorts i wouldnt dare to wear in delhi, all my floral print sundresses and ton and tons of skirts. I need a big , straw hat and i am sorted!

Engagement Rings

Dream Engagement Rings? Well something like the ones below but since these are way beyond budget i can only dream. I did once tell the boy that no matter what ring he gets me, ill be happy since its from him and i am going to stick to that (Though if you are reading this sweetie- Please  get a solitare. Larger than 0.50 carat will be preferable. Platinum, not yellow gold. Just a hinttt). On the other hand, i have actually already chosen the engagement ring for him. It was a no brainer. I called to ask him what he would like and this is what he answered

“Rings look  slightly gay ya . No matter what you give me, i will anyway just  remove it in a months time and wear a band that too if you insist”

Right. So it took me just about 15 min to pick up a ring which my mom thought was appropriate (I dont really have an opinion on guys rings. They are just…well..boring.)

Btw a little story about engagement rings. Boy is a big fan of Ayn Rand (i am too- i love Fountainhead). Anyway, he got totally inspired by Ayn Rands novel and decided he will give me a ‘clay’ ring. (In the book, the guy gives his lover a steel bracelet ) . Hmm, see i love Ayn Rand and her philosphy and all, but clay ring????????

Makeup Trousseau Shopping: Making some Plans

I dont really need a makeup trousseau , since i have quite a bit already. But why give up another chance to buy right? Besides right now i need to hoard on some  camera- friendly  and indian -wear friendly items.

• Inglot Bridal Collection: I am seriously considering getting the eyeshadow Palette in this Collection. It has this range of coppers, brunt reds, golds and browns. Very Indian – Bride esque! Even if i dont get this. I am going to get a 10 pan freedom system palette from Inglot. Its much more pocket friendly than MAC and the quality is the same.
  • YSL Touche Eclat: Iv been using my moms since forever. I need a new one of my own now.
  • Good, Camera Friendly Dewy Foundation: I am leaning towards Mac Mineralize Satin Finish, but suggestions are welcome. Lancome Tient Miracle is another one i really want to try,  but dont know how it would fare.
  • Dior Amber Diamond Highlighter: Definitely re-stocking on this
  • Mac Mineralize Skin Finish: I dont use setting powders, but i will be needing one in all those functions. This is the only one which doesnt make my face look flat.
  • Need a good, rosy pink blush. Mine are mostly peachy orangey : I loved Mac Mocha in the Mac store and i also like a lot of those Nyx Cream Blushes…Might be hoarding on those!
  • Tons of Lip Glosses : I have a woe-fully tiny amount of lipglosses and i need to pretty ones asap!!! These i shall get drugstore ones- some more from the Colorburst/ Lakme Absolute Range maybe?
  • Mac Fix Plus
  • One Guerlain Lipstick (Because its my wedding and i feel like spluging), and one YSL Rouge Volupte/ Chanel Rouge Allure  if budget permits
Rest i shall check back on my stash and see what else i need to purchase.
Other Updates
  • My fairytale- princessy engagement gown has now been sent for indian-isation
  • Makeup trials are slotted with Bubbles Salon in Hyderabad, ill be there in ten days
  • My lehenga is due for arrival next month.  I need to get a second dupatta stitched.

Rest everything is looking good !!!!

UPDATE: Looks like i spoke too soon. The bubbles makeup artist , is pregnant and due in June . Just around the time for the wedding. So i am back to square one. Big freaking whoopie!

Vanity February 19, 2012 at 11:17 am

goooaaaa! yayy! btw i wanted some some swatches on that dior highlighter…plz tell me its all glowy and not shimmery. the inglot bridal collection looks good, the lip colours are too brown n copper but the e/s are looking good! and ya best of luck!

Divya February 19, 2012 at 11:18 am

You are all ready to buckle up :) All the best dear :)
Even my boy.. he just can’t wear a ring :( but I just love mine :D

If you need any gadget help, just let me know.. would be more than happy to help :)

mehak February 20, 2012 at 4:48 am

thanks divya i will lt u know!

Kritika February 19, 2012 at 11:23 am

OMG ! You have tons and tons of things going on!! How re you even keeping the insanity at bay. But yay for the weekend trip ! Have a great one Mehak :)

beingpretty February 19, 2012 at 11:51 am

I enjoyed reading this post!! :D

And bdw..I have just started reading The Fountainhead!!! ;-)

Sophia February 19, 2012 at 12:35 pm

with so much goin on in ur life how come u still havn turned crazy??? wel the thought of sunny goan beaches and cuisine can keep any1 sane i suppose:-)..n that thing about guys n wedding bands-ur boy will try and bear it for atleast a month na but mine hid it the very next day after our marriage(shocking)………

Gauri February 19, 2012 at 1:23 pm

OMG, I loved ALL the rings!

Riya February 19, 2012 at 1:25 pm

Went down memory lane while reading this, got married 6 years back in June and was in delhi that time, work, job and shopping in the evening with mom, dinner at food courts or parathewali gali, chandni chowk! miss those days already.

mehak February 19, 2012 at 1:31 pm

Oooohhh chandni chowk trips…i love those!! will be going again soon for other knick knacks

Pooja@IBC February 19, 2012 at 7:55 pm

Yay girlie gang together in Goa,sounds so much fun! Your post made me smile,I just had a flashback of my own first year of grown up life- all the home appliance shopping,furniture shopping the first one year of marriage & setting housekeeping is mind boggling! Maid management (they need to teach this as a subject in MBA) and doing household chores,while juggling full time work & blogging is truly insane.. Enjoy this time and shop all the makeup stuff you’d been eying. Btw ingot bridal shadows are nice, but the lipsticks are boring browns,do check out their AMC lip paints and freedom system lipsticks,they hv nice bridal shades

mehak February 20, 2012 at 4:39 am

Ya i didnt like the lipsticks at all :( Oooh will check those out…
Sigh, i know Pooja i feel like my responsibibility -less life where i just woke up, blogged, ordered food from th help..went to work and came back is now turnig into something im not sure im ready for. I want to go crying to my mom every time

Sharon February 19, 2012 at 2:26 pm

OMG this is pretty much what I’m going through here as well! MAC suddenly seems a lot more expensive :( Thanks to my momma though, I’ve been stocking up on all the makeup items I’ve longed for ;)

As for the rings part, both our fiance’s have the same thought process – namely, none. He’s completely averse to any sort of bling on his body, so I might consider giving him the clay ring ;)

I went to the home appliances store the other day, and I honestly felt out of my depth there. Like DeeDee in Dexter’s Laboratory – “Ooooooo what does this button do?”. LOL. Growing up aint easy for sure. *takes a shot of vodka for some courage*

mehak February 20, 2012 at 4:33 am

i knowwwww i need that shot of vodka. There shouldnt be so much choice in home appliances stores u know…it should just be like- here is a black fridge, here is a white fridge choose one…

Sharon February 20, 2012 at 10:25 am

I almost bought a fridge because it had a pretty print on it….*embarrassed*

Chris February 19, 2012 at 4:01 pm

I have a good foundation in mind. I shall try to send it if I can find it stores!

mehak February 20, 2012 at 4:40 am

NO. You will not send any more things please !!!! :p

Sheetal February 19, 2012 at 4:11 pm

Give Sachin from Mane’a a try. He is really good. I don’t know abt the price though

mehak February 20, 2012 at 4:35 am

OKay thanks Sheetan will ask n schedule in trial

Divya February 19, 2012 at 5:57 pm

Hey Mehak, don’t know if you remember but I mailed you like a year ago when I first found your blog and you replied…anyways, your blog is a daily visit for me, one of my favourites. Thought I’d comment to say I don’t recommend Mineralise Satin Finish as I know you want dewy, but I think this one won’t give you a flawless picture perfection look to last all day. I recommend Nars Sheer Glow though I don”t know if you can get it in India.x x x

mehak February 20, 2012 at 4:36 am

Thanks Divya! We dont get nars sheer glow here though :( :( :(
Okay, not Mineralize Satin Finish then i guess…will have to look more..ots so hard finding good camera fridnly foundations

Neeraj February 19, 2012 at 7:05 pm

Lovely post. I am sure u must be so excited about ur wedding. Best camera friendly foundation apparently happens to be Kryolan but if u want to splurge then I would bet on Chanel perfection lumiere instead of teint miracle which is toooooo light reflecring. For a pinl blush u must try Shiseido as Japanese always get it right especially their Accentuating stick. Also go for Chanel tweed blushes as u can’t miss them in ur trousseau. Ciao

mehak February 20, 2012 at 4:38 am

Yknow i LOVE kryolan neeraj MUA used it on me on my sisters wedding…but i wasnt sue if i would know how to apply it properly and there r so many ranges- th stick one and all the pans and all tht i got confused….!
oooh..Chanel Perfection Lumiere…sounds good..lets see wht budget allows

Neeraj February 20, 2012 at 2:36 pm

buy the palette ones called Suprafoundation……..not the sticks as they are scary…

Btw another suggestion is Shiseido Stick foundation…u will love it like anything

Frances February 20, 2012 at 1:04 am

Hi Mehak!

I’ve been abroad for a while so I’ve been treating myself to a month’s worth of your posts all at once. A blog binge, if you will. You and The Boy are too cute, really.

If you’re looking for a good, dewy AND camera-friendly foundation, I’d suggest having a look at Guerlain’s Lingerie de Peau. It’s very expensive, and utterly worthwhile. It really gives the impression of silky soft SKIN, and not just well-applied makeup. I’m quite sure they’d have your shade, and you won’t regret it, really. Try looking on Temptalia for swatches. Plus, it doesn’t oxidise, even in sweltering Southeast Asian heat.

mehak February 20, 2012 at 5:30 am

Yknow ever since i saw it on Temptalis iv wanted it…it looks so good and plus i love the name lingerie de peau..i will have to check on its availability in Delhi though…or might get it from strawberry net.. Thanks Frances!

Frances February 20, 2012 at 5:22 am

Mehak, do you have a very strict spam filter on?

mehak February 20, 2012 at 5:28 am

not really why?

mehak February 20, 2012 at 5:31 am

If yr a first time commentor on this site (i mean since i moved to the new location) then usually the comments get held in queue till i approve them. After the first comment, its auto approval !!!

Frances February 20, 2012 at 5:57 am

Oh, I was wondering if my initial comment would be held back for the word “lingerie”. It would be pretty fun if it had been :-)

Will you be posting any of the wedding makeup pics? You’ll make such a pretty bride! *lives vicariously through you*

mehak February 20, 2012 at 7:32 am

Haha …nah that wouldv been funny!!!
Yes i will be but wedding is pretty far away…so will wait and put up..

Shruti29 February 20, 2012 at 5:44 am

It’s all sounds soo interesting and fun.. Wow Bachelorette in Goa ….. would love to see your snaps from the bachelorette.. I know it’s personal :p

saranya February 20, 2012 at 5:47 am

i love reading your bridal posts!!! have a fun in goa :D

Kejal February 20, 2012 at 9:12 am

I went thru that phase..and believe me shopping phase is much more fun than living alone. At present my MILs out of town and hav gone half mad with domestic management issues. the cook’s on leave, always late at office, havent caught up on other blog posts in ages ( urs is an exception okay :); 440 unread posts in my google reader at the moment :( ) The fridge is all empty, hate shopping for groceries, fruits etc. Cant think up what to cook next aaarrrghhhhh! Forget me! I hope u hav a blast in Goa with the girls. Me jus came back from a short girly trip myself..and I still cant stop grinning about it!
Enjoi now.

mehak February 20, 2012 at 10:17 am

Mummmaaaaa…yr scaring me…i dont want to deal with maids yar…

parveen February 20, 2012 at 10:28 am

now am getting obsessed with ysltouche eclat and the dior amber diamond;(

Kejal February 20, 2012 at 10:36 am

ohh!! I dont wanna scare u!! Just forget what I said. Enjoi ur trip!
M sure u’ll manage better than me…seriously its probably just mee. Chill!

Parita February 20, 2012 at 1:57 pm

I think Kryolan has some fab foundations which are camera friendly..I have their paint stick and its quite nice :) also for lip glosses why dont you try Chambor/Max Factor..i know chambor has some fab lip glosses :)
Goa with friends sounds sooo much fun :)
About domestic things..dont worry things will settle down as you go ahead :)

thePURPLEspirit February 20, 2012 at 4:42 pm

Wow.. This is all soo exciting! Love these kinda posts… Man..I somehow feel not grown up at all.. I too wanna buy a fridge and worry about the maid n complain about the laundry… I live with my in laws and they take care of everything including me.. It’s like being at my parents’ only..sigh… I wanna grow wings too n fly away.. (if only to return later coz I can’t really handle anything on my own) ;)

Meenu February 21, 2012 at 4:58 am

Wow.. this post is full of Wedding-ly feeling……
looking forward to further updates….
And Oh! too bad for the make up artist. dont worry, i m sure she wont go before doing you make up… else you can book another for back up, just in case….

prerna February 21, 2012 at 8:39 pm

hheheh..’kids getn lost’ ..i would love it if you write abt post wedding thigns also lik how u running arnd for the chores n al ..ll be fun!!..just kiddin sure ul handle it well..u alredy handle a ful time job, a gr8 blog, wedding preps n wat not so wel..n being wid d boy all d time will def tak d stress away n make it al worthwhil :)

n hey foundation urslf u had suggestd me na..body shop extra virgin ..for dewy n dcnt camera pics..i guess mufe hd n revlon photoready are gr8 for pics too..

n me want guerlain lippi too!!guess wil take it too wen i get married weneva dat is :P

mehak February 21, 2012 at 8:43 pm

Haha yes i already have body shop extra virgin but its not heavy coverage. I want a heavy coverage one..

prerna February 21, 2012 at 9:12 pm

man wid ur skin..even tinted would work great!.neway do let us know which one u select.

Harshita December 31, 2012 at 2:35 pm

Hi Mehak,

m having yellowish fair complexion nd having a normal skin texture… My wedding is in Feb’2013.
so plz do lemme noe abt what kind of makeup vl suit me…???? olso wnt to tell you that whenever i used the foundations, it looks cakey and patchy patchy too which i realy dont like.. So please suggest me d best out of dis as m hvng vry lesser time for my wedding.

mehak December 31, 2012 at 5:26 pm

Hi Harshita,
Use a nice light foundation and use a moisturizer before foundation. The reason foundation looks patchy is because yr skin is dry…|You can moisturize and then use mac face and body or bourjois healthy mix if you dont need extra coverage…In temrs of makeup, all yellow toned women look great with gold/copper/ neutral eyeshadow, nice dark eyeliner and pretty rose pink lipstick