Bridal Files: 3 Months to Go-The Lehenga Arrives, More Failed Trials, Honeymoon Plans!

by mehak on March 18, 2012

in Bridal Blog, Bridal fashion, Bridal files countdown

You know you have chosen the right lehenga, when the minute you go for a trial, four other girls in the shop turn their heads with their mouth open and  ask the assistants “Mujhe voh vaala dikhao” (Translation: Show me that one)! I’m not gloating, but  I have to say i get some sort of evil pleasure in watching the faces of others in Frontier Raas when my lehenga comes out. I just try it on very smugly and say “Yup, i bought this. Oh you think its pretty? Really? Why  Thank you so much. No it’s not Sabyasachi, it’s a Sabyasachi look-alike. Hope you find your perfect one ”  Though honestly in my head im thinking “La-la-la Im Sure mine is prettier than yours!!!”. Is that too evil? I think so, but then you only get to be a bride-zilla once in your life right?

The most often asked question: Colors of my lehenga. It’s actually 6 different colors i think. Its indigo blue and red, its turquoise and orange, its yellow and gold. I don’t know . It’s a very traditional lehenga- none of that bling bling swarovski but traditional Gotta Patti and zari work on a very bright base. It’s the combination of colors which makes it slightly modern looking! Sigh. I love it. Like L-O-V-E it !!!!!!

Picture of the lehenga : You will just have to wait until June/July!!!

Honeymoon Plans

If you think you are in a happy relationship with minimal disturbances, try getting married. If venues and dates wont drive you both mad , honeymoon plans definitely will. Both of us had always wanted to go to Australia for our Honeymoon, but you know those Pandit-ji’s always throw a spanner in the works- so when they took out our date for June we just looked at each other and sighed. Because Australia is freezing in June and since the boy walks around in a monkey cap when its 24 degrees outside, I really don’t want to risk honeymooning in Australia it would be like honeymooning with a Polar Bear. So Europe is what is on the cards! The problem- im a planner, I like things organised and thought out. He is a dreamer, he likes things impulsive and last-minute. Given how expensive europe is ( even  the  11000/- a night rooms are small enough to fit just a squirrel), we really do need to plan and budget every detail – not something mr.boy likes to do!

More failed makeup trials.

Oh lord. Two more trials. One at Juice in Hyderabad (made my face too white and ghostly, and even though she made it totally glowing and radiant, she covered it with powder and ruined it) and one with Soul Parlour (this one was not bad- but not special either). So where am i- back to square one. There is of course Bubbles Salon- Tanuja (but she is pregnant and due in May which kind of rules her out of the picture). So now, i have Doris who sent me some pics which were not bad. She also asked for photos of my lehenga and promised to send me some ideas, which is something i liked because it seemed like she is taking an interest. But still, hiring an artist without a trial im going to be shitting bricks on my wedding day. Oh wait, indian brides don’t talk like that- uhh im going to be a nervous wreck on my wedding day. That’s better.

A lot of people are asking me what im doing for my skin, and the answer unfortunately is not a lot! I think i kind of take my skin for granted because it behaves itself. The only thing i noticed was that because its so dry, all those heavy duty concealer cake up on my face so bad!!! So what i am doing is simply – getting healthier skin. No lotions and potions- but drinking a ton of water daily (I have a reminder which goes offf on my phone every hour to make me drink two glasses ), im eating healthy, im making sure my skin is hydrated and protected with my Forest Essentials Oil, Neutrogena Light Night Cream an Neutrogena Sunblock during the day. I also bought  the Kiehls under eye avocado cream which is supremely moisturizing for my under eye area and it makes my concealer go ons moothly without going into fine lines . I will go for pre-bridals, but not yet maybe just twenty days before the wedding or something.

Thats a random outfit i was trying on in Frontier Raas. I keep getting second thoughts of my own Suneet Varma Outfit, because the color is extremely dull , so i always get lured into trying these pretty colors. This was apparently too “naked” for a bride my mom said. Plus look how my tummy comes out !!!! :O !!  Then i came home and looked at my Suneet Varma outfit, and realised that even though the color is dull i really dont care, i love how princessy it is- even if its grey/silver.  Im hoping this realisation will continue atleast for the next 3 months- im always in like a different mind about it :( . Sigh. Fingers crossed, people will understand the prettiness of it and not say things like “Leh- yeh bhi koi rang hai pehne waala!!” You know those punjabi aunties right?

Lets see apart from that most of the check boxes are ticked. Venues, Mehendi people, Outfits ..yup. only thing left now is song selections and practices and oh yes, deciding on a MUA!

Sweet&Bitter March 18, 2012 at 1:33 pm

i will pray that nobody says ‘leh yeh bhi koe color hae!’ …even I super hate that!…its my day…its my wish of what to do/wear :D

prerna March 18, 2012 at 1:57 pm

oh dat dress looks so beautifulll on u!!..
n im sure ur engagement outfit is gorgeous..evry gal dreams of and should get the feel of looking lik a princess atlest once!!..
and dnt care wat ppl say..its not just punjabi bt i guess most aunties lookin for bright cmon its ur enggmnet!hv fun :D…n honeymoon in paris..alwz been wantin to go there..soo perfect !

Vanity March 18, 2012 at 2:02 pm

leh ye bhi koi gal hui pareshan hone wali :P
you know with all these posts and month by month details, it feels we all are part of this big fat punjabi wedding!

Peachesandblush March 18, 2012 at 2:32 pm

Gal toh nahi hegi, lekin twanu pata hai na aunties !!!!! The last thing i would want is or people to call my outfit dull…ill start crying or something..

anks March 18, 2012 at 4:38 pm

mehak… if you are happy, ur radiance will outshine the colour of your dress… and honestly, let the aunties talk… secretly, a lot of them will wish they had the stomach to be something different at some point in life… :) i enjoy ur bridal files and look forward to them.. hope u find ur makeup artist soon! all the best….

mehak March 18, 2012 at 5:41 pm

Thanks ankhs!!! I really shd stop worrying a that people will say

mehak March 18, 2012 at 5:48 pm

I know I feel like that too!!!! It’s like my little online wedding diary hich talks back o me!!!!

Zahra March 19, 2012 at 10:27 am

Relax girl :)…. I know the feeling….lemme put it this way, no matter how careful you are, no matter how many opinions you consider, somebody’s always gonna be un-impressed with how you look on the big day. That’s why I always pity the bride!!

Am sure you’ve seen my wedding pics on FB by now…. I was perfectly happy with how I was dressed though most of the family (esp his side) thought I should’ve blinged up a li’l more. I know it was very very understated but the limit was when someone commented that my dad should’ve spent a little more on decking up his daughter…..of course the “someone” was sent packing with a flea in their ear!!!

Y’know what made it all worthwhile??

When Zahir leaned over at the end of the day and said “How can you look so perfect?”

Need I say more? :) :) :)

mehak March 19, 2012 at 1:13 pm

Awwwww..yr so right teena! Im obsessing over details now…but i know that in those minutes before i walk out and join him on stage, nothing else will matter

mehak March 19, 2012 at 1:14 pm

And you were looking completely radiant on your wedding!!

Zahra March 21, 2012 at 10:41 am

Awwwwwww….. thank you!!

(Blushes furiously and throws a kiss)

:) :)

sandhyaa March 18, 2012 at 2:28 pm

reading your bridal files makes me feel to get married too :D
and m sure your lehanga is kick ass one….cant wait to see pictures….happy preparations !!!
and about make up are you considering air brush make up for D day ??

mehak March 18, 2012 at 5:44 pm

No yar… Not too many p role who r good at that

Parul March 18, 2012 at 2:50 pm

Your bridal files take me back to my wedding preparations..hee..hee..I was so so young and dint care at all…I had my exams and after three days my wedding….in between I had to catch a train of course..when I reached home one day before my wedding my grandfather heaved a sigh of relief and said “mujhe toh laga ta yeh shaadi ke ek ghante pehle pahunchegi” …I love how you are obsessed with details and planning…and I like that dress too :)

mehak March 18, 2012 at 5:43 pm

Haha yknow what… The older you get, the more obsessed u become. Sometimes. Ish vn just landed ino my wedding with everything planned out before!!

Sukanya March 18, 2012 at 3:06 pm

yeah those aunti ji’s can ruin a whole damn thing..for my elder sis’s wedding last year i wore a white banarasi saree with gold zaree border,it was damn elegant !! loved it….but sigh* everyone seemed cursing me for selecting white for a wedding :X it ruined my total day :(

pavani reddy March 18, 2012 at 3:25 pm

u r really tempting us to get married…dont doubt mehak..u will look like million-dollar…

Aparajita March 18, 2012 at 3:40 pm

i can’t wait to see your lehenga…it sounds really pretty…

Eesha March 18, 2012 at 3:53 pm

All the best for all the planning involved. Don’t bother about those aunties…. they will find some other reason to gossip around if you satisfy them in one! So, just be yourself and enjoy it to the fullest. :-)

Kritika March 18, 2012 at 6:24 pm

I love your bridal files Mehak !! You shouldn’t worry too much about those aunities, worrying will take a toll on your skin and you don’t want that. Hell, even we don’t want that. Hehe.

Kudos for surviving all the planning till now and good luck for whatever lil planing is left :)

shivangi March 18, 2012 at 6:41 pm

Despite of all the troubles, I guess its one of the best times too :). Hope u enjoy this madness :)!!!!

philamazan March 18, 2012 at 6:44 pm

i know!! its your big day… dont worry about wht others think :)

Divineblush March 18, 2012 at 6:50 pm

Loved this post a lot.. Enjoyed reading it..

Chris March 18, 2012 at 8:40 pm

I can’t wait to see the outfits! I wish I had more Indian friends so I could go to more weddings, haha.

sahar March 18, 2012 at 9:32 pm

best of luck for your wedding… waiting for pictures of lehnga

Karishma March 19, 2012 at 12:08 am

Dorris contacted you as is B n D’s Dorris? Gosh she MUST be great Mehak! And Grey and Silver sounds frigging good to me :D Ahhh i want to see your Lehenga so bad now..

Peachesandblush March 19, 2012 at 10:24 am

arre no not bharat and dorius’s doris…hahaha! This is some random doris…

Kejal March 19, 2012 at 1:13 pm

i hope random doris didnt read that! LOL!

mehak March 19, 2012 at 5:34 pm

Haha i hope so too!!!

Scarlett O'Hara March 19, 2012 at 12:28 am

Haha, your posts always make my laugh! I hope you find a great MUA soon :) Good luck with wedding preps!

Mahi March 19, 2012 at 12:30 am

You say the most adorable things! I cant wait to see your lehenga pictures! :) And that pink dress…you loook gorgeous! Amazing against your skin tone! :)

Nivedita March 19, 2012 at 12:31 am

Hey miss! Stop worrying about everything but then ‘brides are sensitive creatures’ aren’t they? When I get married I’m sure I’d be turning to your files.
hey, how does one consult Dorris? Did you mean Dorris of Bharat and Dorris?

Peachesandblush March 19, 2012 at 10:24 am

No no not bharat and doris!! Some random doris

Krupa March 19, 2012 at 1:45 am

the outfit which is in the pic luks amazing esp those drapes..

varshini March 19, 2012 at 3:10 am

Mehak…i am so loving reading ur bridal files series…Its like sitting right in front of you and listening to these things…love it…ur preety in that outfit :D

Tanmayee March 19, 2012 at 8:32 am

Europe is awesome honeymoon destination………..Paris and Switerland are the best acc to me ….. some ppl say swiss is over hyped, but the ease of communication, access and tourist friendly attitude and picturesque landscapes make it heaven on earth……..enjoi !! have a great time there :)

Jyoti March 19, 2012 at 9:38 am

ohh just chuck those aunties…. m sure you will make a beautiful bride whatever u wear. the thing that matters most is u like the dress….n if u r happy it won’t look dull. My guarantee. ;)

Shruti29 March 19, 2012 at 12:58 pm

That dress is lukin’ awesome on you Mehak and the colour too :)

Kejal March 19, 2012 at 1:10 pm

Ohh pretty dress!! But i guess it wud be a bit as ur mom said..”too naked” :D
Thumbs up!!.. on ur lehenga!! U get to be a bride-zilla it!
U know australia is good..but europe is also really pretty around the time u r going. dont let the place bother u..u’ll hava good time anyways.
I really feel partial about taking sides about the boy feeling cold…jus coz delhi-ites are used to cold :p
I hope u get ur MUA soon..

Ishita March 19, 2012 at 1:43 pm

Hey mahek I just loved the Fuschia lahenga.. am frm kolkata and normally we dun get to see such beautiful bridal outfits here … Can u pls tell me frm whr one can buy the pink lahenga? and how did u buy ur engagement lahenga. is there any suneet verma store ovr thre ?

mehak March 19, 2012 at 2:07 pm

Hi Ishita, Its not a lehenga its a gown :)
Yes there is a suneet varma store here- its in DLF Emporio. Also the pink outfit is from Frontier Raas in South Ex!

rashmi March 19, 2012 at 3:06 pm

hey mehak..
This gown was showcased in the UK i guess.. for asian bridal show :) :) hey.. where did u buy ur wedding lehenga from ?? Frontier Raas ?? bargaining kiya ?? :p rather bargaining hua kya ?? any clue on the price range of decent lehengas there ??

mehak March 19, 2012 at 5:32 pm

Oh it was? No idea…
Yup got mine from Frontier. Original price was 1.2 Lacs…there was a 20% discount on it so came down to about 1 L and then bargained for another &K so about 93K …the range starts at 30K and goes to 4L …..but you get decent ones from 60K onwards!!!

Meenu March 19, 2012 at 3:21 pm

Mehak, you are really a pro in creating suspense for your dresses *salute*
When wil you get merried, when will we get to see the lehenga :(
all the best for your MUA search

gargi March 19, 2012 at 4:51 pm

Right now all I am thinking is your Suneet Verma’s outfit!
Imagining all sorts of things…..
I wanna see pictures!!
hope everything goes fine!!!

giggle girlie March 19, 2012 at 10:56 pm

hey mehak I got my wedding lehnga from frontier raas!!they have good stuff and very good in house tailor..they are a little expensive but worth it!So many people have asked me from where I bought my lehnga!!I am sure your suneet verma outfit is awesome..stick to it..the first pick is always the best one!!

Peachesandblush March 19, 2012 at 11:05 pm

I know i so agree. They have different styles as welll- not just thre same gol gold , bling bling…thats what i like. If u sit long enough, you will get something super special

Kannu March 19, 2012 at 11:13 pm

wedding is such a event that till last moment you keep doing a lot of things !

Mansi March 19, 2012 at 11:33 pm

Wowww! Mehak… Weddings i just lov ’em…. dis is for sure d best section dat u hav got :)…ain’t Indian weddings just beautifulllyyyy awsm… seriously can’t wait to c ur wedding photographs, ur lehenga n ur whole get up….:) all d best gal…may u find d best makeup artist for u… n two glasses of water evry hour, i can imagine how hard dat must be… ;)…

Ayantika March 20, 2012 at 9:42 am

awww wedding files….i can understnd your feeling rite now ….go ahead with all your plans :)…it’s the sweetest time of your life…enjoy to the fullest :)….and trust me girl…you will look stunning on D-day !

janisj. March 20, 2012 at 9:28 pm

oh god ur bridal files and ur pinterest board make me wanna get married..and u can’t even imagine how far away from that I am, mentally!!!
as for the “aunties” u can always say Biaatchhh I am wearing a Suneet Verma..what r u wearing????some local boutique’s copy!!! :)
trust me,ur gonna rock ur wedding…who else will??? :)

Sunayana March 21, 2012 at 10:09 am

Hey Mehak! I’m really excited to see your trousseau, esp the ‘Sabyasachish’ lehenga! Since Tanuja won’t be available for the makeup, you might wan to try Sachin from Manea. I’ve heard mixed reviews about him, but have also seen some good work. Worth giving a try!

mehak March 21, 2012 at 10:54 am

Hi Sunayana, I know about Sachin hes really expensive though :(

Neha March 22, 2012 at 10:30 pm

Hahaha, I know what you are going through Mehak. I had a gown for my engagement as well I was feeling nervous as well but When I looked into my Man’s eyes I forgot about everything and njyd everybit of it although before that My Corset’s zip broke so my friend has to stitch it on the spot. Also My reception lehnga was a sabyasachi lehnga but I didn’t get to wear it Can you image I spent every penny on it that I saved and I didn’t get to wear it but its a long story anyway thankfully I as I was planning to wear 2 lehngas for 2 halves of my reception so it all went well. All I am trying to say is there are many things that might go wrong but remember its your day and most important thing is you are marrying the man you love that is a blessing just remember that and you will only have fond memories of that day, Now after a month of my wedding when I look at the pic I realize that If I would have ruined my wedding coz of a piece of a cloth it would be so unfair to my man but when I look at the pics and his love for me in the pics it was all worth it…Hope you will be having the wedding better than what you have imagined it to be..I’m sure it will be. Good luck donn have second thoughts on the dress you will look absolutely beautiful!!!
And we will be aiting for the pics!!!

mehak March 23, 2012 at 1:48 pm

OMG u didnt get to wear yr lehenga? Why? Wat happened?
I know what you mean..iv stopped thinking twice. At the end of the day its a piece of cloth, and i realise that no matter what i wear, my fiance will still love me in that !!!! Hence!!

mansi bajaj April 8, 2012 at 7:23 pm

I bought my engagement gown last week from ctc motinagar. Its a golden one with silver n golden work on the bustier. I too have been confused whether i chose the right one. It s a ball gown so the flare starts from the waist so sometimes i feel i should have bought a ‘more fitted around the hip’ one or a more pinkish peachish shade. It seems too westernised n simple according to the usual punjabi standards..though my mum likes it as she feels it suits my ‘doctor’types personality (yes i am one) But i suppose this is usual. .. I hope i get appreciated. Love ur blog. Exactly what i needed at this hour.

mehak April 8, 2012 at 9:26 pm

You will you will. I realise now that i feel so pretty in my gown i don care if noone else thinks so.

Roli Gaur April 18, 2012 at 2:50 pm

OMG! ur like my wedding lehengha shopping soul sister or sumthing!

I got my lehengha from frountier bazaar as well and one of the reasons to determine how good it was that everyone turned to look at me!!! including a group of 6 people who had come to buy 1 lehengha ( and it was just me n my mom for mine)

AND another girl got the same lehengha after seeing me wearing it, although i made some changes in it ( didnt tell her ) so it wont be same. And all the time in my head was how better it looks on me than it does on her *evil, i know*

But hey a bride-to-be got to do , what a bride-to-be got to do :D

Roli Gaur April 18, 2012 at 3:26 pm

i am getting married in Nov. , I so wanted to go on a euro trip!! but apparently that is not a good time :'(

This was the trip we were gonna take

not adverstising or anything, take a look it is adventurous+romantic+fun+ plus shopping (paris!!)

Made my guy promise, rather blackmailed ;) that only if he will takes me next summers ill go anywhere :P

mehak April 18, 2012 at 3:32 pm

Hehe..ya we finlly got our honeymoon sorted already….London-Paris-Interlaken-Zurich :)

Roli Gaur April 18, 2012 at 3:33 pm

ooh nice!!

mehak April 18, 2012 at 3:40 pm

You should totally do Australia in Nov!!!

Roli Gaur April 18, 2012 at 3:42 pm

still thinking about it, we have loads of time in hand; thinking of egypt, with the whole nile cruise :D

mehak April 18, 2012 at 8:34 pm

Ooohhh ultra romantic and exotic…my dream destination ws australia….bt too cold in June in australia :(

Divya April 20, 2012 at 10:11 am

Hey Mehak

If you dont mind, can you share the price of the pink gown in the blog above??
I loved this one,maybe they have others which are less nakedy :P

I am planning to go to frontier raas and will give me range idea.
I went to moti nagar CTC too but there was not much variety there except for the bling bling ones,so m hoping i find something here….
Is omprakash jawahar lal good??is it worth a dekko??m planning to go there too

mehak April 20, 2012 at 12:08 pm

Yes om prakash definitely worth a dekko…Motinagar CTC really depends on price..good stuff is about 1.5 lakhs..
Tht pink gown ws about 80K bt if yll looking at an engagement outfit ask them fr the manish malhotra design tht katrina kaif wore- thts for 1L …but u might be able to bargain…pale pink net long kurta and skirt underneath…they als haea nice orange engagement oufit- which is like long jacket and skirt types…

srishti July 22, 2012 at 2:48 pm

Hii mehakn
I really lyk ur blog.. nd oll of ur pics r ossum.. cn u post wedding pics I want to see ur wedding luks

Karuna Hemrajani March 20, 2013 at 11:35 am

Hey Mehak

I’ve been hooked on to ur blog last couple of days – and keep browsing through it sneakily in office ;) too much fun!!
Was looking for some posts on honeymoon shopping and stuff…why dont u start a thread on this too?? (or am I missing an already existing one)

Am sure you would have some great suggestions on this.

mehak March 20, 2013 at 3:39 pm

Hi Karuna,
Yup i can actually thanks for the idea :)

Preeti Kaur April 11, 2013 at 11:55 am

hey mehek, does omprakash jawahar lal have low budget lehnga’s as well.. if you wish to buy some for small functions… also apart from Hauz Khas market where can we get good anarkali’s..

mehak April 11, 2013 at 2:41 pm

OPJL has mostly bridal/engagement…for small functions just get them stitched

Divya September 21, 2013 at 11:51 pm

hey mehak,

I have shifted to gurgaon..recently got married :)
can u pls suggest a good boutique/tailor in Delhi or gurgaon
where I can get party wear dresses stitched. .
ur help will be higly appreciated!!