Kinari Bazaar in Delhi : Design Your Own Trousseau!!!

by Mehak Shahani on March 25, 2012

in Bridal Blog, Bridal fashion, Fashion, Shoppin in Delhi

Today, was my little trip to kinari bazaar day!!! (Actually little is a wrong word- it took about forty minutes of drive plus fifteen minutes of metro plus a rickshaw ride to get me there, but it was well worth it !) For those unaware about what this ‘kinari bazaar’ is and why do brides to be go to all the trouble of visiting the muddy bylanes , let me tell you that kinari bazaar is the place where you can pick up borders, embellishment and all sort of stunning stuff to add to sarees, suits and anything you wish (even your underwear if you may, except swarovski work might be a LITTLE uncomfortable down there -OUCH!)

Kundan Work Borders- i picked up one border from this shop to add to my second dupatta for my lehenga (Yayie!)

Need some trays and stuff to pacjage gifts? Kinari has that too!

Ever seen 500 varieties of lace???? You will see this at Kinari Bazaar .. LOVE!

Some pretty threadwork borders to adorn your salwar kameez?

A random shop in Kinari Bazaar selling sarees- its called Saree Emporium i think. I loved the colors on display- that mint green saree is fab!!!

Need some embellishments to add to your dupatta ends? See that pearl embellishment (the pair) , totally love that!!!!

That last photo is from Fashion PHD, who did this amazing post on Kinari Bazaar, which itself inspired me to go there. Check it out here .

Moral of the story: If you are on a budget, or even if you are not , go to Kinari  Bazaar!!! You can find a ton of stuff here that regular boutiques sell for like ten times the amount!!! Also- while i was there shielding my face from the sun and getting thirsty , this reader recognised me and came up to me , She was getting married too and shopping with her fiance so shout out to her !!! ( If a guy agrees to go to Kinari Bazaaar with you, you know he is for keeps- mine wont even wait for 5 minutes in an a/c mall !!!!)…My dad got all suspicious though when i was recognised (” Just how many photos of yourself do you put up Mehak , how come people are recognising you??? *scowling face* “)

The prices for the borders range from  200 to 5,000/-

FashionPhD March 25, 2012 at 1:29 am

Yay for Kinari :D

Yumi December 30, 2012 at 11:17 am

How much should you spend on Bridal Shower intitavions?I am the maid of honor of my friends wedding, and I am just curious how much is a reasonable price for intitavions to her bridal shower. Also if I should get them professionally done or not? I found a place online, and for 50 of them it costs $65.00. Is that too much?

sahar March 25, 2012 at 2:25 am

wao kinari bazar is full of excitement for shopoholic like me

Pooja@IBC March 25, 2012 at 2:30 am

I loooooove Kinari bazaar, tassles, beads, gotas,lace,sequins if you can’t find it here, you cannot find it anywhere!! Oh now your bridal shopping posts are enticing me to get married again -with the same Guy that is!! ;) BTW did you pick up any sarees from Chandni Chowk?

mehak March 25, 2012 at 11:26 am

Hi Pooja,
Nope no sarees from CC yet. Most of them are from the normal shops in malls but nwo i see some of them and im like “I want thattttt”

Sukanya March 25, 2012 at 3:00 am

We have it here in Kolkata too..love it!! though am not much of an embelishment/zaree person..i happily accompany my friends..those pretty beads n lil trinklets are a visual treat ! :D

mehak March 25, 2012 at 11:28 am

I love them! I can be lost in those streets forever!

swastika March 26, 2012 at 11:15 am

are you talking about burra bazar?

mehak March 26, 2012 at 1:58 pm

voh kya hota hai?

Chris March 25, 2012 at 3:16 am

You’re making me want to have a traditional Indian wedding, Mehak. And I’m not even traditional myself! LOL. These pieces are beautiful.

mehak March 25, 2012 at 11:29 am

Haha – why dont u have an indian theme wedding!!!

Chris March 25, 2012 at 10:40 pm

We could do that, that’s a good idea! :)

Giggle girlie March 25, 2012 at 8:09 am

During my wedding preps I bought border from here for my sister’s anarkali…yes one can find great stuff here!!

mehak March 25, 2012 at 11:26 am

Ya i got a border for my second du[atta with my lehenga.Red kundan work!

Sophia March 25, 2012 at 10:51 am

Ur posts are getting more n more exciting mehak:-) wish i had waited 2 more yrs to get married-my man doesn’t have much patience though:-((…i missed out on so much stuff…cry cry….

mehak March 25, 2012 at 11:27 am

Aww..no men have patience iv realised!!!!

Kannu March 25, 2012 at 11:43 am

I have been there a couple of times and love the variety they offer !

Xuvious March 25, 2012 at 11:52 am

So much prettiness!! *loves lace*

Fatema March 25, 2012 at 3:18 pm

Wow…that seems like the place to shop! great post, girl :)

bawa March 25, 2012 at 3:42 pm

Mehak, in an autobiography I was reading, the guy worked in a saree shop in Connaught place 1920s-30s. His job was to attach borders to sarees with an invisible stitch! Mum said sarees NEVER came with borders, you always had to choose your own!

Mehak March 25, 2012 at 6:56 pm

Really? Funny how times have changed na…now sarees come only with borders that deisgners pass of as their own work!!

Jyoti March 25, 2012 at 7:15 pm

Awesome post Mehak. :) was not aware of this bazaar.will definitely recommend my friends thr. :)

gargi March 25, 2012 at 8:00 pm

woooowww
everything looks great!!!!!!
especially the saree shop window display

Vanu March 25, 2012 at 9:53 pm

Seriously Mehak, i can also be lost in those streets forever! be it Kinari Bazar, Chandni chowk or any part old delhi, dey give me an adrenaline rush

mehak March 25, 2012 at 10:46 pm

I knw right??? Its just amazing the kind of things you can find there

swastika March 26, 2012 at 11:20 am

i loved the post..makes me want to do a trip to Delhi..cant wait to see your wedding outfits and I love that red and the orange saree in the shop window

Ritu March 26, 2012 at 11:41 am

hey babes!!!
so, i give it to you! he is really THE ONE! :)
it was so darn good to see you there. All the best with the blog and the approaching big day!

Love,
Ritu

mehak March 26, 2012 at 1:57 pm

Hi RitU!!!
To you too! Was so good to see you there!

Meenu March 27, 2012 at 10:59 am

O…My…God….. you show us such photos, you tell us about wedding shoppin…. you tell us about wedding make up an preperations….. and then i think “do i really not want to get married now?”
if i tell my parents that i am ready, they’ll get me married next week itself….. *sigh* it takes a lot to control with such pretty things

mehak March 27, 2012 at 1:43 pm

Haha! Belive me its a LOT ofd headache, you only hear the good parts…

Meenu March 27, 2012 at 2:22 pm

and that good parts are much more than just “good”…….
Dont you feel proud mehak when you return home and see these stuff that you now own….
you really are putting a lot of effort …..have a blast shopping…. you deserve it. :)

mehak March 27, 2012 at 3:00 pm

Haha proud…i feel happy, but i also feel like “OMG iv spent so much moneyyy!!!!!”

Meenu March 27, 2012 at 3:36 pm

Really, i so agree with you… we buy pretty stuff and then a guilt of spending money follows everywhere like the vodafone puppy :P

pavani reddy March 27, 2012 at 11:09 am

wow…this is amazing…we have similar one in hyd toooo but i think this is hugeee…will surely go there when i visit delhi in july….i m bookmarking alll these places and i m going to have a blast this delhi-trip…tyyy mehak

Sweet&Bitter March 27, 2012 at 3:14 pm

i still have to visit that place! first fashion Phd and then you….aahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh…when will I go there!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! *frustated*

Sweet&Bitter March 27, 2012 at 3:16 pm

btw…about the keeps things….my boy agrees to go with me but then he says – they all look the same to me? how come it takes so much time to decide???…..so I never take him with me even if he is willing to :D

mehak March 28, 2012 at 12:26 pm

I know. Plus i feel pressurised with him around like hes always like getting bored..so i prefer to go with the girlies!

Pallavi March 30, 2012 at 2:40 pm

ahhh Kinari Bazaar!! Not only the stuff (which undoubtedly is awesome), you can also get amazing street food nearby. This lane is right next to paranthe waali gali and the yummy dahi bhallas and tikkis by Natraj are also nearby. Not to mention, golgappas, jalebis, kachoris and aloos and lassi all within 500 mt. radius make this part of town my favorite. Hope you did a little Binge eating too :D

Btw, about your dad’s comment on people recognizing you, I am guessing he did not see you in Cosmopolitan yet :P You look lovely, and the feature well deserved. Congratulations =)

mehak March 30, 2012 at 2:51 pm

Thanks Pallavi :)
Yes we definitely did eat, infact we are at Nataraj only!

leena modi April 2, 2012 at 1:20 pm

hi, i would like to know where is this Kinari Bazar in Delhi. can u give the proper address.

leena modi.

mehak April 2, 2012 at 1:22 pm

Its in Chandni Chowk. Get off the Chandni Chowk Metro Station and ask anyone for kinari bazaar!

Safira April 3, 2012 at 2:36 pm

Hello Mehak,

My search for lace fabrics in Delhi brought me to Kinari Bazaar and your blog. Hoping you can help; Im not from here, but i am looking for lace, but how do i get to Kinari bazaar?? Does it involve crossing roads, cos i may have a freak out if yes…
Thanks!!
safira

mehak April 3, 2012 at 2:44 pm

Dear Safira,
Kinari is only for borders, not so much for fabric. If u want lace borders, you cn get off at the Chandni Chowl metro staton and walk to kiari bazaar. Well there r no roads as such, just very narrow , muddy bylanes its not a good area. For lace fabric- Head to lajpat nagar. TONS of fabric shops there.

Girl Cook Art April 25, 2012 at 12:28 pm

OMG!!!! This is amazing! I am envious..coz I live in the South and this just blows my mind away! good post..let me frank, REALLY good post!

sonam June 4, 2012 at 7:26 pm

OMG, I have this mint green saree..wore it for my sister’s wedding..the store is “Bansal Sarees”…very expensive though ;)

mehak June 4, 2012 at 8:44 pm

Ooh really? What a coincidence. Oh thanks fr the store name..i always wonder when i see the pretty sarres outside. How much was it for?

sonam June 4, 2012 at 9:44 pm

It was for 37-39,ooo, I don’t remember clearly.. I mean for Chandni Chowk I guess it is, everyone thinks the market is cheap…He doesn’t bargain much but the sarees are excellent..
btw I just reached your forum today and I really like it !
Its nice to find people with similar interests in fashion and makeup :)

Aditi Pednekar June 20, 2012 at 10:18 pm

I have bought brocades from a normal, inexpensive cloth centre in Mumbai which I think was very cheap (I got everything within 2K). I am going to buy these amazing laces and make up a trendy lehnga (provided my tailor understands what I am trying to get out of her). Just wanted to tell you how your post helped!! Will send you the photograph once its done!

shaveta July 17, 2012 at 1:10 am

hey….ur blog is very interesting….mine is an october wedding…..nd i m lost..:(
i m nt from delhi…bt wud shop thr….help me whr this kinari bazaar is…nd whr did u get ur lehanga nd dis beautiful engagement dress….. nd congratulations for the wedding….stay blessed..:)

madhu August 2, 2012 at 3:26 pm

Hey Mehek!
aftr reading dis post, i had made it a point to visit Kinari Bazaar whenevr i visit Delhi. I had gone thr on July 4 da weekend nd visited it nd bought loads of laces nd borders. Thanks to u girl!

mehak August 2, 2012 at 4:13 pm

wELCOME MADHU!!!:)

AMN October 31, 2012 at 2:09 pm

Hi Mehak! I came across this page quite by chance.
I absolutely love the pictures you have put up! Want to leave all my work and drown in shopping in Kinari Bazaar!
Btw, do we get to buy in retail here?!

mehak October 31, 2012 at 2:26 pm

No its usually bulk…. but its not that bad ..so you can buy one border…but you will need to buy 9 metres of tht border.

Viji January 12, 2013 at 11:36 pm

Hi mehak
Your blog its quite interesting . It will be more useful for our business development. We are
just stepped in to the saree line. Since we were new to Delhi, I need your help to get the similar displayed sarees and borders.,Kindly need the address of the shop, so that it will be easy for our shopping.

Pooja Gupta April 18, 2013 at 6:44 pm

Hi Mehak

Yours is a lovely website, and has so much information!..wondering how you manage so much content!.
Great Job!
I have a close family wedding coming up in May. I am in Dubai, and would have no time to shop when I reach Delhi. can you refer me a good shop in Dubai where I can pick some designer lehenga in Neon color for myself.

Mayur bhai April 25, 2013 at 8:16 am

Work in embroidery lace and seal

Taz July 15, 2013 at 5:25 pm

Wonderful post !!
You mentioned prices are 200 to 5,000. Is this only for the 6 yards for one saree or for the entire roll ? :O
Im a noob when it comes to ethnic wear.

Sonia June 3, 2014 at 9:12 pm

Hi Mehak

LOve your blog absolutely…you share lot of good ideas.
I went to kinari bazaar and got my self a few laces some really pretty one.

Can you please tell me places in delhi from where I can buy fabrics for sarees.

Thanks
Sonia

AKASH June 17, 2014 at 8:03 pm

guys if u r looking for exclusive bandhanwars and rakhi u can visit to contact me.

Swadha July 31, 2014 at 4:34 pm

Hi Mahek ….
Very Useful post for me as im planning to buy some laces and ribbons while visiting my Bro in Dehli ….. but one doubt in mind …. is it ok to do bargain in Kinari Bazar
Hope you will reply to this
Thanks :)