Lehenga Draping Styles for Brides!

by Mehak Shahani on March 20, 2012

in Bridal Blog, Bridal fashion, Fashion

For those of you getting fed up of the Bridal overload, please bear with me!!! This is a post i have been wanting to do since ages, because a bridal lehenga can seriously be worn in SO many different ways, and i don’t see anyone trying these styles out!!! I still remember my cousins wedding  -  she wore a dupatta and a saree with her lehenga and it was one of the most unique draping styles i have seen till date (I think im going to shamelessly copy it in fact!) While i try to get you a picture of that, enjoy some of these styles!

Disclaimer: I don’t own any of these pictures- All are from google images

I did an updated post on my new exclusive wedding blog about 25 ways to drape a dupatta . You can read that here: 25 ways to drape a dupatta

SINGLE DUPATTA WITH LEHENGA  STYLES

1. The normal, slightly boring style :Please ignore the somewhat umm ugly lehenga, my point is that this is the style brides usually wear, one duppata draped on the head from behind and then coming in front covering that tummy. Nice, but little boring in my opinion!

2. The “U ” style – here, the single dupatta is taken on the head and then bought in front. Instead of leaving it open like in the pic above its end is taken  to the other shoulder-so it makes a Ú’ in front. This is an interesting style, specially if you are uncomfortable with showing your tummy. It gives some sort of grace to the whole posture!

3. The tie at wrist style: The dupatta is kept flowin at the head and the ends are tied to the wrist!

4. The tie at waist style (Bipasha Basu) : Here the dupatta is taken on the head, and a smaller U is made in front tieing the dupatta on the other waist (from where it began)

THE DOUBLE DUPATTA DRAPING STYLE

(The possibilities here are endless, and these below only just scratch the surface)

1. Classic Double Dupatta Style :One dupatta on head free flowing, the other dupatta taken from around the waist and over the shoulder- either as a slim pleat in front (Shilpa Shetty) or draped like saree (model in middle) . The shilpa shetty style is actually one of my personal favourite styles of draping a bridal lehenga

2.Second dupatta going over the first dupatta at back: Here a net dupatta is taken over the head. The second dupatta is taken in regular lehenga style ,  from around the waist but over the net dupatta at the back . This gives a really nice silhouette at the back with the head dupatta being inside the contrasting dupatta

3. One Dupatta on head, the other dupatta open.; Here one dupatta is taken over the head and falling on one shoulder. The second one is just taken open by the bride- like you sometimes wear with a suit-across your chest an falling on your arms!

4. Three other, regal double dupatta styles :

Model on left: One dupatta on head and falling on one shoulder, second dupatta draped over other shoulder

Model in the middle: On dupatta head falling loose on both shoulders. Second contrasting dupatta taken in hands from the back

Model on right: One dupatta on head falling on one shoulder, and second dupatta tucked in at one corner, making a U shape in front and taken over the other shoulder

Which ones are your favourites?

Kejal March 20, 2012 at 11:32 am

The dupatta can actually change the whole look..I had also made 2 dupattas with my lehenga

mehak March 20, 2012 at 12:02 pm

I love 2 dupattas! I think even if your lehenga is light it doesnt matter, two heavy dupattas makes it look more royal!

sweet&bitter March 20, 2012 at 11:47 am

i love the last ones

and please continue these bridal posts. I am bookmarking each and have asked my friend who is getting married soon to memorize everything :)

mehak March 20, 2012 at 12:03 pm

Will do!!! I wonder what will happen to my blog if i discontinue them. Seems like this is all everyon wants to read these days!!!!

shivangi March 20, 2012 at 12:16 pm

Wow, bookmarking this page, 2 dupattas looks are so interesting!

Shruti29 March 20, 2012 at 12:54 pm

What a great idea.. :) lukin’ so elegant and Royal..

anks March 20, 2012 at 1:13 pm

OMG Mehak… i never ever gave a thought to this….! was just happy to let the Ambika Girls drape it and pin it securely!

mehak March 20, 2012 at 1:23 pm

Ynknow i dont think all these styles people even thought about till a few years ago, i think its all starting coming in just recently…

prerna March 20, 2012 at 1:14 pm

my god..awesome.reallhy hve to bookmark all ur posts for the time wen i get married!/..

and which of these styles are u plannin to inculcate in ur look..cant wait to c ur lehanga though!!! i knw i knw will wait til ur weddin is held :D

mehak March 20, 2012 at 1:23 pm

I have two dupattas…actually one dupatta, one saree as a dupatta…iv not decided yet :p

prerna March 20, 2012 at 9:44 pm

great!..i think saree as a dupatta would look real nice no..givin it that classy royal heavy kinda look !..i thnk all the blogreaders cnt wait 2 c u get married..so that finally we get to see ur pics in the gorgeous attires..
n hey..ur so disappointed wid d makeup trials na..i realy wonder y u mayb shudn b doin it urslf na..as in ur soo good at it alredy and will knw exctly wat u want also..m sry if dats a stupid question as in if brides dnt do it themslvs or smtn :-(

nidhi March 20, 2012 at 1:34 pm

I love 2 dupatta, I took my dupatta U shape in my wedding. I want to marry again( with same guy) now, style has changed a lot in 8 years.

vino March 20, 2012 at 2:10 pm

awaiting to see how ur dupatta is draped on ur D-Day…

Vanity March 20, 2012 at 2:13 pm

okay i’m officialy confused. 1 dupatta 2 dupatta 3 duppata 4..meri band baj gyi yaar..PJ!
i will just look at ur wedding pics and copy it..itna dimag nhi chalana mujhe

mehak March 20, 2012 at 2:48 pm

Hahaha !!!! Its not soo confusing also…keep staring at the screen, dheere dheere the pic will make sense :p

pavani reddy March 20, 2012 at 3:27 pm

even i m bookmarking all the pages mehak…i may get married this year sooo little knowledge wont hurt na…keep posting moree…..

Tanmayee March 20, 2012 at 4:36 pm

I wish , during the time I got married , I followed these beautiful blogs, then I was ignorant about makeup and related stuffs …….so many insights………it would be greatly helpful for future brides to be :)

rids March 20, 2012 at 5:49 pm

thnks for sharing .. this gives me so many ideas…!!! I wud like to read about your cousin’s draping style too…

Kajal Couture March 20, 2012 at 6:26 pm

Great post! I will have to bookmark it for times when I wear a lehenga. My bridal lehenga came with one dupatta so we had them make a second net dupatta with a border matching the regular dupatta and a simple design in the middle. I really liked the effect and there was no stretching or shortage of material because sometimes with one dupatta if it is not long enough it starts pulling.

Keerthi March 20, 2012 at 8:08 pm

LOVE this post…BM-ing…I am totally going to use one of these with my lehanga saree!!
For the record, I dont think anyone is getting fed up of the bridal series Mehak, even if they arent getting married anytime soon or are already married, these posts are super fun to read :)

Gauri March 20, 2012 at 8:44 pm

The U style (2nd pic) looks fantastic!!

Vanu March 20, 2012 at 9:27 pm

Super duper hit post, Mehak. i will jus open ur blog and see all these wedding post b4 my marriage preparations

Pooja@IBC March 20, 2012 at 10:03 pm

lovely post, i love the regal looking dupatta drapes on JJ Vallaya brides (last pic ) , how are you planning to drape your dupattas?

Sukanya March 20, 2012 at 10:23 pm

the last is my favourite look, n also liked the idea of using a lightweight net dupatta for head..decent n neat :)

Vidhya March 20, 2012 at 10:41 pm

No 3 is really nice

Akshi March 21, 2012 at 2:01 am

This is an off-topic but plz reply
So I wanted to ask that how are you keeping yourself fit nowadays. Any special diet or just eating whatever you want to? Also, is there any exercise regime? If possible please do a post on that too! :)

mehak March 21, 2012 at 9:10 am

Well im really the wrong person to ask that akshii!!! But no special diet- tons and tons of water-im talking ridiculous amount of water!!!! Controlling the chocolates, making sure im eating before 8:30…but honestly iv still gained some weight so im sure im doing something wrong..im really not focussed on fitness at the moment!

Priyanka May 16, 2012 at 4:03 pm

Hi Mehak…
I just loved ur blog..as i m getting married in Nov 2012…even i wanted 2 dupattas…and somewhere i saw a bride with a dupatta and a saree…but relly culdnt understand how did she tie 5-6 meters saree as a dupatta..plz do post ur pics or even ur sister’s wud do…

mehak May 16, 2012 at 5:35 pm

Hi priyanka i decided against th saree but here s how u do it…
You pleat the saree at the center at the back of yr lehenga and then make two very thin pleats (needs to be ironed firmly) that come over each shoulder…so you have two strips of fabric coming on each shoulder…and the pleats at the back.

Priyanka May 17, 2012 at 9:41 am

Hey Mehak..good morning..:)..
see I m so stuck with ur blog..thanks for the info dear..i think this would look great…waiting for too upload ur pics…
Mehak..currently I m in Bangalore…and i live in Lucknow…but i wanna buy my wedding lehenga from Delhi :) …and my budget it not much..i have heard a lot about Chandni Chowk..please give me some tips..!!
And i also wanna buy some gud kalira’s..let me know..about some shops.. :)
and hey when is ur D day..!!

mehak May 17, 2012 at 12:28 pm

Hi priyanka first head to om prakash jawahar lal in naya katra ….hes the biggest there bt also most expensive. Then you can just wander in te lanes around it and enter any shop> All those shops in naya ktra sell lehengas

Nez August 29, 2012 at 1:49 am

Dear Mehak,

I wanted your opinion on something. I don’t live in India, so when I got my wedding lehenga, I didn’t have time to get another dupatta stitched :( I really wanted one. So my current dupatta is net, and quite a bit heavy. What should I do with it/how should I wear it? I was thinking of the second style (the long ‘U’ shaped one, but would that even look good with a net dupatta? :/

mehak August 29, 2012 at 10:04 am

Hi Nez,
Dont think it will be a problem =the only issue with net is that its nt so flowy so it doesnt drape as much , but test it out and see, otherwse usua;;y the single dupattas lehengas have a loonng dupatta, so you can put it over your head and then pleat it coming forward on one side…ig yr ok with baring yr tummy like i did..

himani August 29, 2012 at 8:33 pm

i love it.. simply awesum… never paid attention to such styles…!

navneet kaur September 6, 2012 at 1:05 am

fabulous…. i am up with the same dillemma!!

Parul October 23, 2012 at 6:14 pm

Hey Mahak,
Since the time i got hitched, i have been following ur blog for all kinds of ideas. But i am stuck with the dupatta draping part. I am some 5-7 kg overweight. I am looking for a way to drape my dupatta, so that I dont look fat on the D day..:D
Should i go for two dupatta or a single one…..my lahanga and dupatta are of net material…..

Deepika December 3, 2013 at 12:21 pm

Hi Mehak,

I have been searching for different styles of draping pallu on head. You have consolidated double dupatta styles in a beautiful way.

I have to take pallu on my head in my SIL’s wedding. I am planning to wear a saree with a dupatta on her engagmenet. Can you suggest different styles of draping the dupatta with saree as well?

apoorva January 3, 2014 at 1:04 pm

really great draping styles………i like it……

percussionist gia sacred music festival September 6, 2014 at 12:53 am

Βut we are οnly experiencing the time of the present moment.
Green said thɑt Daryl was genuine when it ϲame
to soul and music. These steps all help to protect the Baka’s culture,
forest environment and unique hunter-gatherer way of life.