Bridal Files- 2 Months to Go: A Proposal in the air, Song Selections and Shervanis.

by mehak on April 6, 2012

in Bridal Blog

You might think its weird that i am talking about a proposal around 4 months after I already knew I was getting married. Maybe so, but in my opinion, whether you already know it or you don’t, whether it’s an arranged or a love marriage,  whether its obvious that the answer will be yes, every girl deserves a ‘bent on one knee’ proposal. Period. We need that memory. So for me, that memory came this week, 2 months before ‘D-Day’ when my uber- romantic boy asked me to marry him. What did the proposal involve. Well- it involved this :

Yup! A hot air balloon ride!!!!! When a car came to pick me up titled ‘Skywaltz” – i swear i thought this boy is  going to make me jump out of a freaking plane, im going to so kill him!!!! .*He’s an adrenaline junkie*. But thankfully, that wasnt the case, and as we floated 600 feet in the air in that hot air balloon, he went down on one knee and  asked me to be his wife. What was my reaction? I don’t think i even said yes honestly. I just stood there with a goofy grin on my face, feeling dazed, giddy, and honestly slightly in shock.  My brain was like this – “Balloon. Air. Sky. Chinese People. Ring.  Boy on knee. HUH?? Whaaaa. <3 ” . Ofcourse when i look back, i smack myself in the head for not having a poised reaction, but right now all i can say is….

BEST . PROPOSAL. EVER. <3 <3 <3

(Knock on wood. Thank you god. Putting Black mark to ward off evil eyes)

Before anyone jumps at me for being ‘racist’ for labeling the pic, they were really really sweet and adorable people. I just tagged them because i mentioned them in the lines above so to avoid confusion plus i didnt know their names. Its just  for comic factor cos it was this wierd out of body experience for me, in the air, seeing strange faces..hence. Please, dont jump at me and be all like -You Racist B***.

Song Selections

Okay, now on to wedding preperations. You know sometimes it sucks being a bride.  You are stuck with REALLY boring song selections. I mean while my sisters and friends dance on Shiela, and Tu mera hero im stuck with really sappy, sob story type songs. Thats the problem with Bollywood- women either sing  item numbers or sappy numbers (like mujhe saajan ke ghar jaana hai..ewww..Not happening)  What about normal love songs for normal people!!!!!! Hmph. Suggestions for songs are more than welcome  haan? I need some fun, love songs  but not Chikni Chameli types you know (I dont want my in laws to reconsider).

Anywayyy, what is decided is the couple song, and the friends songs and the cousins songs but since people from the *boys side* also read my blog (you know who you are), i am not going to reveal it since its supposed to be a secret. But please do suggest. We need fun, hindi, peppy, fast songs…punjabi would be great ,we love punjabi music. *Shera di kaum punjabi..te -te-te-te-te-tainnnn*

Sherwani Shopping, and Engagement Outfit Shopping for Boy. Whopppieee!!!!

You think you know your groom to be well enough to trust him with outfit decisions and then he does something to shock you like this:

Boy: “Baby, i was thinking im going to wear all white on the engagement. Like white coat and white pants. Maybe white shoes”

Me:  HAHAHAH. Funny!!!”

Boy:  “What . I am serious, i think its different”

Me thinking to myself: Is this really happening?

Me:  “Err…its different, but its…jeetender different . PLEASE dont buy anything wihout me!!!”

Hence starts the hunt for shervanis and suits. Notice the difference between men and women- i was talking about my lehenga like 6 months before i got married, and he has just STARTED to think about these things 2 months before !!! So far, we have loved a suit at Ashish Soni (Bandhgala, but with a stylized collar) , and a couple of Shervanis here and there. These days what i am absolutely LOVING for guys are those Jodhpur style pants with a bandhgala coat (OMG- we saw one at this place called Narains– which was a beige and white look. It looked SO SO fab !)

If by accident you are a boy and you have chanced upon this post while trying to find places to buy sherwanis and suits in Delhi here is a small list of non high end designer places…

• Karan Nasir : Small time designer in Grand Mall, Gurgaon but good stuff
  • Narains : Always love their stuff, This too is in grand Mall.
  • Study by Janak : A good mix of traditional and modern
  • Frontier : One stop shop for everything

Other Stuff

Apart from that what else. Ooh. Wedding Cards are decided!!!!!!! Its white and gold with colored inserts! Very simple, and elegant like the way i like them (I hate those over embellished cards- which look like the cards themselves are getting married!!!) Best Places for Wedding Cards in Delhi : Chawri Bazaar (Chandni Chowk). MUST GO THERE. Anything you find in the market that is 200 bucks, you will find it in Chawri for 40 bucks. Seriously dude, Chawri is the shit! Its right across from kinari Bazaar as well , which we all know is like heaven!!

Any other stuff- Ooh makeup artist finalised. Im going with this womn called Doris (relatively unheard of), but she sent me some good pics and she gave me some REALLY good ideas that i liked. Plus i strictly told her, less makeup is okay but over makeup is NO NO NO !!!!!I think what swung it for me is that she is the first person who asked me to send her pics of my outfits so that she has a better idea so i felt she was taking an interest, and honestly I didnt have any other options left. Makeup artists were falling like a pack of cards!!

Makeup Shopping: I did a TON of it today (okay not a ton, but i havent bought makeup in really long so it seems like a lot ). I bought a Kryolan Foundation, a kryolan concealer, Benefit Mr.BRight Kit for highlighting (it has a mini benefit high beam, a mini Benefit Girl meets Pearl highlighter, a mini Benefit erase paste concealer, and a mini benefit posie tint) Isnt that like the perfect highlighting kit ever????? Honestly all i need now is a nice earthy pink blush , and maybe an inglot eyeshadow palette. Otherwise im sorted.

Kejal April 6, 2012 at 10:19 pm

Awwwwww!: on the proposal…and those look like Japanese to me.
LOL! on the white and white and white
hey do a haul post!! (of course time permitting) whr did u buy Benefit?
I was in Delhi couple of weeks ago and tried to recollect some places u had blogged for indiany dresses..but couldnt remember anything off the top of my head. next time i’ll go armed with a list in my cell.

mehak April 6, 2012 at 10:22 pm

hehe! You need to take print outs of those posts dont u nkowwww???? :p
Oh benefit u get in delhi in this place called kunchals. Honestly the stock is really really old, but you also get NARS and sstuff there..

Kejal April 6, 2012 at 10:26 pm

LOL! now I know :p

Nisha April 6, 2012 at 10:20 pm

Oh! 2 months! Best of luck! :D That was a kick ass proposal! LOL! I wouldn’t have minded the plane, really would just be worried about the ring falling.. Hehe.. I’ll tell you something funny, I know 5 guys who want to get married or engaged in complete white. I don’t get it.. Oh, and 5 women who hate the idea too! :D

mehak April 6, 2012 at 10:22 pm

Seriously man, What is up witht hat white thing???? I hate it !!!

prerna April 6, 2012 at 10:26 pm

OMG!!!this is like my favorite posttttt EVER!. u knw i hv alwaz found this hot air balloon idea so romantic and shortlisted it for my proposal

soo lovely mehak congratulations once again!..:D..tuchwud dnt wury ur too nice and no evil eye will get chil!..and i hv asked this before guess u misd it..and its a stupid question maybe but i wonder y u dnt do ur make up on ur own in especially since u wernt able to shortlist nice ones..

and jodhpuri pants for guys..soo cool and hot <3

mehak April 6, 2012 at 10:38 pm

Shortlisted it for your proposal !! Hahaha !
Y know what, i am half thinking i might do engagement makeup on my own. Very high chances of that happening but i need a hair person anyway, cos i cant do hair for nuts Since doris is hair +makeup i think it going to be a collaborative effort. Plus im doing my makeup for mehendi, youngsters etc….im not sure if i want to have that tension on my head for bridal..but engagement yeah!

prerna April 6, 2012 at 10:52 pm

oh ok..tension part i understand..and great ur doing it for other events atleast ..i mean we have seen ur looks and they are good..and honestly..if the makeup artists are not good na u feel so helpless.. (im sorry i dnt intend to be offensive bt lik even wat d mac mua did in dubai i dint realy lik much)..
and its ur wedding so u defintly dnt wna ruin mood by havin smtn lik dat na..

and benefit in kunchals..?naice..hw old is it waise..n i realy lik dat ‘jinne mera dil lutiya’ song .old one i knw bt me likes :p

mehak April 6, 2012 at 10:55 pm

Ya ya no offense taken- it was too much makeup in dubai for me too….Yes, thats wht i asked for pics and her makeup photos were like barely there…hence…im just keeping fingers crossed lets see!

Neha April 6, 2012 at 10:43 pm

Wowwwwwww Mehek!!!!!! I am so Happy for you….I have been waiting for a wedding post from you for so long…finally!!!! We have so much in common other than makeup and fashion…same proposal and same kind of guy who wants to wear all white!!!Anyway njy girl its your time..also I wanted to mention Mac silver dust as a highlighter its super awsome I used in my wedding and the pics turned out to be great I mean amazing. Try that if you can and if you are still hunting for a good highlighter!!

sristi April 6, 2012 at 10:47 pm

This is truly the best post ever!!! LOVED reading it… That proposal was so so romantic!! Haye! I wish my guy proposes like that someday! :P These last two months are literally gonna fly away… so All the Best! :P :D
White jodhpuris would be nice, with a rich hued bandh gala, but an all white ensemble, a big NO NO!

mehak April 7, 2012 at 12:56 am

They really are going to fly :(

Parul April 6, 2012 at 10:47 pm

Awwwwwwwwwwwww…..tats so cute the balloon and proposal and even the Chinese people…the cutest and sweetest thing I ever heard…I read the post and showed it to my hubby who BTW did not ever propose OFFICIALLY..hmfff..hmfff… well..and all he had to say is balloon rides make him giddy…this is what happens five years down the line..heee..heee….Thank God you got a decent makeup artist too…

mehak April 6, 2012 at 10:53 pm

Hahahah balloon rides make him dizzy!!! that is such a GUY reaction!

Tanmayee April 6, 2012 at 10:50 pm

I admire your writing skills, Praiseworthy ………and a proposal to remember, great !! all the best for you guys:)

Rima April 6, 2012 at 10:56 pm

WOW!!!!!Thats the best proposal that can ever be…:D :D lucky gal.Congratssss once again!!!gud that u dint start jumping with excitement…!!:P :P.

janisj. April 6, 2012 at 11:05 pm

yay…for the proposal, makeup artist & the lovely post!!! and kunchals…i have seen this highlighting kit there…tad expensive i felt…but hey u’re getting married…u deserve bigger splurges!!!!
i saw NARS orgasm too there once…3 grand i think it was!!!

mehak April 6, 2012 at 11:08 pm

ya thats why i bought it cos even tho its expensive, a single hihglighter was 3 grand, and these 3 together wer for 2500…def a splurge@!

Ruchika April 6, 2012 at 11:29 pm

OMG..*touched* by the proposal <3<3
gonna break my banda's head now :P ..did that hot air balloon thing happen in Delhi?

mehak April 6, 2012 at 11:30 pm

Outskirts of delhi…manesar..but they do it in jaipur also

Sangeeta April 6, 2012 at 11:51 pm

So damn romantic. You should post pictures of the ring too sometime.

mehak April 6, 2012 at 11:54 pm

The ring i got wasnt the actual ring…it was a cute butterfly ring from swarovski.

Sangeeta April 7, 2012 at 9:37 am

That’s so sweet :)

Sophia April 7, 2012 at 12:17 am

jeetender diff…lolz….u should b glad he wasn’t thinkin of surprising u on the D day ;-)….n a hot air balloon proposal…wow gal ure lucky…id hav died n gone to heaven had i been in ur shoes :-)
as for songs…ders gur naal ishq mitha,sadi gali ,gal mithi mithi bol,jigar da tukda,kook kook kooki,kala sha kala,mera laung gawacha,nachange saari raat…..oooh dats a lot….

Bhumika April 7, 2012 at 1:11 am

oooo…Thats so super romantic !! Ya obv with so many things together,u might be too shocked to react..
And the Benefit Kit sounds perfect ! :))

Shweta April 7, 2012 at 1:39 am

Where can I get benefit. My eyes glazed over and I think I stopped reading the post after Benefit part *****Sigh where? please tell me

mehak April 7, 2012 at 10:48 am

In Delhi you can
It in kunchals gk m block mkt .

sonali April 7, 2012 at 9:10 am

thats my favourite post evr….. u r soo lucky mehak..!!!

Neha April 7, 2012 at 10:15 am

So sweet…that must be the cutest proposal ever :)

VK April 7, 2012 at 10:19 am

Wow! That is so romantic! And man, so much details go into north Indian weddings, i wish i have been to one. When all things considered, i realize that our south Indian weddings are quite low-key! :) :)

mehak April 8, 2012 at 12:34 pm

I know man. My south indian friends are like – but why do you need 6 months to prepare for a wedding. There r just TOO many things in north weddings..

Vanity April 7, 2012 at 4:30 pm

saajan ke ghar jaana hai…hahaha!! totally man hindi movies are full of soppy songs. try this- mai tujhko bhaga laya tere ghar se..tere baap ke ghar se :P
and that white on white outfit is so jeetendeeresque..thank god he told you in advance!
and ok the best part – HOT AIR BALLOON- OMG!! *sad ke jawa..nazar na lage*

rashmi April 7, 2012 at 8:40 pm

nice read mehak … and god bless you guys :D … i do believe in evil eyes so will not say anymore words …. you guys stay happy together XOXO :D :D

Ruchika April 7, 2012 at 10:47 pm

i live in delhi so manesar is nearer to me..btw i wish u all the best *dil se wala* and u both look so cute :D

Lapanika April 8, 2012 at 1:25 am

Girl meets Pearl …… figuratively & literally !!!

Kannu April 8, 2012 at 1:45 am

my cousin is also getting married this month so weekend we al go for medley practice and final song selection

jasleen April 8, 2012 at 12:47 pm

haha loved reading every bit of that post! :D
btw u finally got stuff from benefit!! n an awesome choice too! <3

Aparajita April 9, 2012 at 10:10 am

i love your bridal files…makes me wanna get married…
i am definitely gonna keep whatever you have mentioned
in them when my time comes…

rashmi April 9, 2012 at 10:40 am

hey Mehak !!
cant tell u how desperately i wait for your bridal posts !! all other product reviews i can get other places too .. but no where can I get a personalized feel of bridal preparations.. its almost like I can see you talking when I read your posts.. and hats off to’the boy’ for the hot air balloon idea !! hope we get to see your bridal dresses soon too.. eagerly waiting ! :)

mehak April 9, 2012 at 3:11 pm

Hehe …i love my bridal posts too, i might continue them post marriage, ill have to come up with some good ideas abt what to write in them…but i hav eenough material atleats for the next 10 :p

Vaishnavi April 9, 2012 at 11:14 am

aww…whatta an awesome proposal!! CONGRATS again!!!!

i love ur write up…my sis is planning her wedding and driving all of us mad…i totally understand what u r going thru…my would-be jiju is totally confused and has taken off to Canada…

Cynthia Z April 9, 2012 at 10:27 pm

That’s so romantic! <3 What girl would say no when proposed in that?! :D I've never ever been in a hot air balloon.

mehak April 10, 2012 at 1:24 pm

Hot air balloon was fun..for the first half hour and then it kind of got a bit boring honestly. Is like…the same…bobbing in the sky looking at stuff below..very peaceful though..

Rashmi April 17, 2012 at 2:07 pm

Hope ‘the boy’ doesnt read this.. u will b in trouble ! hehehe

mehak April 17, 2012 at 2:31 pm

Hehe. Thankfully he doesnt read my blog at all !!!

pavani reddy April 10, 2012 at 12:27 am

thats awesome..i soo enjoy these posts of urs mehak…congratssss

gagan April 13, 2012 at 9:46 pm

can u plz give the make-up artist’s contact details

Roli Gaur April 18, 2012 at 3:16 pm

ooh wow , that proposal is so sweet!!

ur makeup artist will be Hyderabad based right?? ( ur getting married there na??)

Emm April 27, 2012 at 10:06 pm

I will bookmark this post for the guy, at least this will save me the trouble of spelling out how I want things done…whenever that happens;)