Aishwarya Rai at Cannes 2012 : Abu Jani & Sandeep

by mehak on May 25, 2012

in Celebrity, Fashion, Features

Press Note :Aishwarya Rai Bachchan  wore an  Abu Jani Sandeep Khosla masterpiece  when she attended the 2012 amfAR’s Cinema Against AIDS gala dinner at Hotel Du Cap at Cannes 2012.Wearing a gorgeous offwhite georgette chikan sari with sequins and zardosi borders worn with a multi coloured silk embroidered zardosi blouse, the new mommy in a much slimmer avatar walked the red carpet with panache.  Abu and Sandeep on dressing Aishwarya said, “We want Aishwarya to wear the entire spectrum of Indian Couture! We are unabashedly and unapologetically Indian. We believe in the beauty of Indian wear. And trust that its beauty will be appreciated by an International Audience. And what could be more glorious than a classic chikankari in a dulce de leche sari, offset with a multi-coloured zardozi blouse.”

My thoughts : “ Im sorry , as elegant as the saree is  i dont love the way she has tied the saree !!!  I love it when stars wear Indian on the red carpet but i think the regular way of draping a saree would have suited her much more and her dye-ed black and white Angelo Katsapis dress the day before was much more flattering. “

Aishwarya Rai in Abu Jani Sandeep Khosla at Cannes 2012

Aishwarya Rai- Makeup Breakdown Courtesy Loreal

Aishwarya Rai in Angelo Katsapis

(I love this dress below on her!- good for her current body type!!!)

Shivani May 25, 2012 at 4:23 pm

I love her in both!

Fatema May 25, 2012 at 4:37 pm

I have to be honest. I think the only reason she’s seen sporting on desi-wear is because she gained a load of weight, not for the pride of showing off her ethnicity.

pavani reddy May 25, 2012 at 11:38 pm

so true fatema..past 10 yrs she never wore indian…

Nirah May 25, 2012 at 4:45 pm

I love that saree. The jacket/blouse is also nice. But the two together were never going to work! And the way it is draped doesn’t help either. I have no idea what she/her stylist was thinking!

gousiya May 25, 2012 at 4:47 pm

Agree wid Fatema. Why didn’t opted such a dress earlier?
Whom are The “Unabashedly and unapologetic Indian”s lying to?

mehak May 25, 2012 at 4:57 pm

Well the first year of cannes she did wear neeta lulla throughout, but those sarees were err…fugly..

pavani reddy May 25, 2012 at 11:52 pm

that was for th epromotion of her movie DEVDAS na..yellow saree….

shruti May 25, 2012 at 9:33 pm

@gousiya: Errr…did you just wake up and got caught in the Cannes madness. Because, it looks like you have no idea about her previous attires at Cannes. Oh and by the way, why don’t you first put together a grammatically correct sentence and then comment on the woman who just gave birth to a baby for heaven’s sake!
That said, the blouse killed this look for me. Wish it ended right where the saree is tucked in.

gousiya May 26, 2012 at 11:40 am

@Shruti..Please check ur(your) own facts dear, although ash has completed almost a decade attending Cannes, she has worn a saree only twice(including this year).
Believe me I personally have no interest following ash(the woman who just gave birth to a baby) or Cannes, but being a journo its my job..
And sorry for the grammatical mistakes, I dint knew u’ll r so obsessed wid(with) it…
chill girl

Neha May 25, 2012 at 5:17 pm

I liked the second look.. 1st one is really suffocating like a turtle.. full sleeves, high neckline!!!

Pooja@IBC May 25, 2012 at 5:27 pm

That blouse looks more like a straight jacket with OTT embroidery.Saree on its own is nice but not the most flattering drape, I like her hair and makeup.Angelo Katsapis’s dress looks really beautiful I like her hair do in the 2nd pic looks tres chic! Those Neeta Lulla sarees she wore back then were like a blast of neons and were honestly super fugly. At times I wonder if the designers and stylists are having a private joke on our celebs ;)

Giggle girlie May 25, 2012 at 5:34 pm

I totally agree with you mehak…the way sari has been draped makes her look busy from heavy make up to outfit!she could have done better

M May 25, 2012 at 5:42 pm

I don’t like either ! Agree with you, a simple traditionally draped saree would’ve been much better !

vijetha May 25, 2012 at 6:23 pm

Completely agree! She just wasted tat saree :/

ife May 25, 2012 at 7:06 pm

ya right… totally suffocating…and again she dons the three layers of pancake for firangi appearances..loved her eyes..everybody is going ga ga over this i donno why… she just chose a flab hiding (she thought) outfit which added to her her fan btw… but this is just meh… :). why is doing this heavily embellished look again n again??

mehak May 26, 2012 at 11:33 am

Ya i dont get it- when you have post baby weight, the lats thing you want to di is cover yoourself in heavy embroidery from the neck to the waist . You end up looking more bulky. SOmething with sheer net sleeves etc would have worked better.

swastika May 26, 2012 at 11:47 am

i thought the exact same thing..why not net sleeves..

Sukanya May 25, 2012 at 9:43 pm

the saree is a gorgeous one..but a traditional drape would have been much better..the jacket does nothing for her :(

gargi May 25, 2012 at 9:51 pm

Totally agree on your thoughts!
She looks more fat with her hair do

Nisha Khan May 25, 2012 at 10:11 pm

the second dress is much better than the first one…

FashionPhD May 25, 2012 at 11:19 pm

she wastes every opportunity.

Nez May 25, 2012 at 11:26 pm

You know whats wrong with the above pictures? Everything. With her look from yesterday, she looked pretty, but a lil tooooo sunkissed for my liking. And then today with the Abu Jani and Sandeep.. Gosh. I like the top/blouse/jacket item thing. But not for her. And not in her current state. I think for the time being, she should just keep it simple and fresh, no smokey eyes! I know its the red carpet, but she has a glow. Glow+extra bronzer/glow= deathkill. :/ Go with flowy dresses and fresh summer SIMPLE make up.
But it does take guts to go around in her current state. :)
Regards, her Wannabe Stylist lol. :P

pavani reddy May 25, 2012 at 11:55 pm

nice saree ,hate the drape
lovely jacket,hate the length
nice face,yuck hair-do!!!!
overall she looks gud..

dr_rashmi May 26, 2012 at 10:01 am

There is somethink about the whole look thats giving her an unkempt look . . .i think the hair do or the draping . .. she should remember she is the most beautiful lady in the world and should not try too hard. . . she is gorgeous the way she is <3

mehak May 26, 2012 at 11:31 am

Agree, with such an intricate saree the hair couldv been kept simple and flowing. The bun looks too severe!