Guest Review by Ashwini (Medium to Dusky Skin, Oily and Acne Prone)
I’m sure many of you, like me who had/have suffer from acne must have come up with that some special/secret method which always works but we sometimes overlook it and search for ‘better’ method to treat acne and blemishes. But seriously, however simple or ridiculous that method may be, just stick with it. Doing lot of trials and errors will just make us more desparate. Today I’m gonna share one such method which works for me but i had just ignored it and went on a spree in testing products for acne and finally came back to this( what a late realisation since my skin which was like normal earlier has now become sensitive, and I always feel like hitting myself on head when I look back) . moral : if something has worked, stick to it and look no further! This is my attempt at making my own toner with natural stuff, if you have suggestions, let me know .
Briefly, the benefits of apple cider vinegar for skin:
- “Apple cider vinegar does contain acids, including alpha-hydroxy acids from the apples. These acids help dissolve the oil and sebum that clogs pores. “
- “Alpha-hydroxy acids encourages cell renewal.so even if acne has healed, this helps in making the skin tone better.”
- “For some people, acne may be the body’s response to exposure to toxins in food and in the environment. If that is the case for you, apple cider vinegar may help. It is a popular detox drink”. I have personally not tried since I have my own way of detoxifying.
Briefly, the benefits of green tea for skin:
- Green tea contains a cocktail of potent antioxidants called catechins, which help fight damage caused by free radicals.”I can go on and on about this one but in normal and simple terms it’s a great anti-oxidant. Both internally and externally. This is one thing I swear by, I drink it everyday no matter how bitter it tastes. “
- In several scientific studies, green tea extract was shown to neutralize the damage done by exposure to UV rays.
- Green tea’s antioxidant effects may help prevent skin cancer.
- Rejuvenate Skin Cells and has anti inflammatory activity.
Next, coming to honey: we all know by now why it’s called ‘liquid gold’. Honey soothes, moisturizes and also has antiseptic properties.
Tea tree oil: whoever has/had acne would have come across this one. I have used like most of the so called herbal products with tea tree oil on their labels. There was a phase where every cosmetic I owned had this ingredient including compact powder and shampoo! Some worked and some didn’t but the point is it is a natural anti-bacterial and anti-fungal without negative effects on skin.
- Apple cider vinegar. I have used Heinz here, which was the only one availaible at the supermarket nearby.
- Green tea leaves/bags. I have used Society premium green tea leaves.
- Empty bottle.
- Honey(optional).i have Little bee organic honey.
- Tea tree oil(optional). I have Aroma magic one.
- Brew green tea by adding 1 teaspoon of green tea leaves with 1 cup of water. Don’t stress yourself about exact measurements,we’’ll deal with that in later part.Let it cool and strain it in a clean container after 30mins.
- Now comes mixing part. Initially start with 1:8 ratio of apple cider vinegar(let’s call it ACV from now on,ok) with green tea. This depends on sensitivity and skin type. Sensitive skin needs just 1:8,which is like the minimum concentration. Same for dry skin too. For oily skin, more of ACV can be added. If this is your first stint, strat with lower concentration.(presently I’m using 1:2). For now we are adding 1 tsp of ACV with 8 tsps of green tea.
- If you have oily and acne prone skin add 1-2 drops of tea tree oil.
- If you have dry and irritated skin, add half tsp of honey.
- If you have acne scars/blemishes, add half tsp of lemon.
- Store it in an empty bottle and keep it in refrigerator. This will last for one week when used twice a day.
How to use:
Just like your regular toner. After cleansing your face, take a cotton swab with toner and swipe all over face.
I have been using it since one and half month, I can say is its working for me. I have oily and acne prone skin for which I have tried most of over the counter medication due to which my skin has become sensitive. I used to use fab india tea tree toner, which worked well last summer but this time I dint want alcohol loaded toner as my skin is in sensitive phase now. this toner has calmed down my skin and skin tone has improved. My acne is under control but I can’t give whole credit to the toner since there is whole lot of different story how it cleared and I’ll share at the end. The whole point of this toner is its natural, and helps in maintaining skin ph and delivers vitamins and antioxidants. That’s about it.
Some important points:
- ACV is acidic so it has to be diluted with water or green tea. If you are sensitive to ACV ,kindly don’t use.
- Ingredients can vary as per your requirements. Start with low concentration of ACV and work up as you wish. If you can get witch hazel, it can be added. Or rose water and any essential oil of your choice.
- It’s better to prepare in small batches, you can always prepare with different ingredients and concentration whenever required.
- This is my try to combat acne and blemishes but the idea is from watching countless youtube videos and after so much research and my own trial I have stuck with the above method.
- For sensitive and acne prone skin, stick to natural methods. Oat scrub, honey with cinnamon powder pack, cetaphil cleanser for sensitive skin and the above toner has worked. Avoid scrubbing and if you have to, do it gently with oatmeal. Yoghurt and lemon are good too to remove tan and marks.
- Since acne can’t be cured just by products, deal with it in general. Don’t stress out, sleep well, have daily dose of multivitamin and anti oxidant and a healthy diet. Avoid sugar as much as possible. Exercise will definitely benefit.
- All the above information is my personal experience. What works for me may not work for you , do thorough research before using anything on skin.
- All the pictures in this post are not copied from anywhere, they have been clicked by me.
- I hope this has been of help to you gals if you have any variation or a total different method of making your toner, pls let me know in the comments
- I can’t stress enough how much a cup of green tea with lemon and honey can make whole lot of difference. Have this everyday in the morning (without fail). If there is one thing I swear by, it’s green tea. If you don’t make this toner, it’s okay but start having green tea, will you?
(Editors Note: Ashwini, that was such an amazingly super helpful post for so many girls who have acne! Im totally sure there are going to be a lotof kitchen experiments now. !!)
Follow peachesandblush on Instagram.