Anti Ageing in Your 20’s :5 Simple Skincare Steps I Take

by mehak on June 24, 2012

in Reviews, Skincare

They say , the twenties are all about prevention, and while im not a big fan of loading my face with dozens of products, i also dont think its a smart idea to just let it be and leave it to god. God invented wrinkles too remember, and we dont like them do we? So here are some simple steps that i do in my regular skin care routine that i feel are simple, preventiv measures that might make you thank yourself in your forties.

• Use Sunscreen everyday without fail : Its not about whether its a cloudy day or a sunny day, whether you get tanned or you dont. You MUST make sunscreen a part of your life. Sun damage causes discoloration and dark spots. If you look at your mothers, notice how the skin around their mouth and other areas are darker than the rest? All of that is because of no attention paid to sun damage, so please embrace Sunscreen and use one with both high UVA and UVB rays. While one protects you against sun burns, the other against tanning and deep skin damage. Its just not enough that you get a high SPF , its also about which spectrum of rays the Sunscreen provides you protection against. Would you be interested in an indepth article about sunscreens, SPF and the like? I might have some valuable information that is very useful in helping you choose your sunscreen. Let me know!
I recommend: Lakme Sun Expert SPF 50 PA +++ (If you havent tried this, you should. Its the only Lakme sunscreen i really like) , Neutrogena Dry Touch SPF 50
  • Start using a  Good Night Cream / Face Oil: Your skin is much more receptive to moisture and creams at night than during the day, and we all know dry skin ages faster than oily skin. Dryness is the number one symptom of ageing. As we grow older, our skin loses its natural oils ad becomes dry and lifeless. Using a night cream is very important because our skin is much more receptive at night, than duing the day. It doesnt even need to be an anti ageing night cream, just make sure its a good moisturizing one and makes your skin supple when you wake up. I personally use the Forest Essential Sesame Oil, which i love.
I recommend: Ponds Gold Radiance Night Cream, Shiseido Night Cream( LOVE THIS) Neutrogena Light Night Cream, Facial Oils
  •  Eating healthier, Drinking more water, No  Smoking (I never really smoked, but those of you who do- Quit it): Obviously not just because of anti ageing concerns but because all the other health hazards that come along side it. But seriously, put down that cigarette, it causes your skin to become sallow and dull . This is something you dont even need to wait till your thirties to see, just see your pictures after five years and notice how your skin will change.
  • Always Remove the last dredge of makeup before you sleep: People say that wearing a lot of makeup makes you age faster. But really, its the incorrect removal of makeup that makes you age. So no matter how tired you are, remove that last dredge of makeup!
I recommend: Baby Oil, Chambor Eye and Lip Makeup Remover, Mac Makeup Remover (The Purple Bottle-swear by that!) , Maybelline Eye and Lip.
  • Sleep on a Silk Pillowcase, and Dont excessively touch your face : Kate Winslet and Reese Witherspoon apparently swear by sleeping on a silk pillowcase. The funda is that cotton contains all those fibres that pull and tug against your skin that silk does not. Moreover silk is also supposed to be great to sleep on if you have dry and brittle hair, because  silk is woven closer together than cotton, so your hair doesnt get caught up causing breakage.  Also, leaving your face alone without excessive touching  , pulling, tugging , squeezing is

Personally i also use an eye cream. Its not an anti ageing eye cream, but i noticed that the area around  my eye is much more dry than the rest so i invested in the Kiehls Under Eye Avocado Cream.  I gues its also about identifying what your problem areas are.

What skincare steps are you taking?

Pooja G June 24, 2012 at 9:49 pm

I agree. One needs to start in early twenties to prevent those ugly wrinkles and spots later. Also I don’t get it, why one has to scare away from anti ageing properties of a skin product. I consider it as an added benefit. One doesn’t need anti ageing cream after one gets wrinkles. It is needed to prevent these skin problems!

Shruti June 24, 2012 at 10:46 pm

1. Drinking water has definitely changed the way my skin looks and feels. I used to have problematic acne-prone skin till my late teens and then it started improving on its own. But I still used to get that odd zit once in a couple of weeks but since the time I started drinking more water consciously, my skin has changed for the better. I average about 2.5-3 litres of water a day and god! I pee like crazy. But all in all, my skin is clearing like never before.
2. Cleanse-Tone-Moisturize. I am ashamed to say that I started following this nightly routine only for the past 3-4 years. And now its a routine. Come what may, I never go to bed without following these 3 steps without fail. Wish I had learnt this lesson in my teens.

Chris June 25, 2012 at 4:55 am

I gently massage cleansers and cream onto my face in a circular motion, pulling outward instead of inward. I also use sunblock all the time. I like eating berries like blackberries and blueberries, for the antioxidants.

Nivea Creme (German-formula) is excellent as an eye cream. It is too rich for my oily skin, but if you have dry skin it can work as a moisturizer.

Raj June 25, 2012 at 6:36 am

These are really great tips (even though I’m technically in my 30’s now!) I never thought about the silk pillowcase before but it really makes sense. I’m also guilty of going to sleep with my makeup on a lot…will work on breaking the habit.

Pink Chai Style

Neha June 25, 2012 at 9:32 am

Thanks for wonderful tips Mehak.. well by now you must be Mrs Mehak :):) Congratulations to u and ‘boy’ ;).. Have a happy married life…

Roli Gaur June 25, 2012 at 10:52 am

oh do write a post on SPF!

My skin care ‘steps’

1. Loads of water through out the day
2. Daily moisturing
3. Ponds Golden radiance night AND day cream ( absolutely love this!, my skin has improved so much after using this)
4. homemade packs, honey, malai, kheera, ect. once a week
5. For hair, i figured Oil is the best option, hot oiling once a week :D

( Havnt been doing all this 4 long, just started coz getting married soon, but will surely continue, love my hair and skin now :D )

Although still get tiny pimples at times, any advice 4 that ?

swastika June 25, 2012 at 11:29 am

Check out the post on Nutmeg here at P&B for acne remedy

Riya June 25, 2012 at 12:02 pm

Hey just logged in to wish the Mrs. who’s just married! Many congratulations dear!

Priti June 25, 2012 at 1:12 pm

Mrs. Mehek… :):):)
wish u a very happy married life

Shivani June 25, 2012 at 1:17 pm

Thankfully I follow all these steps :) since long and I look younger than my college friends who used to make fun of me :P

Shruti29 June 25, 2012 at 5:36 pm

Wow.. that ‘s a really nice post Mahek :)

Kritika June 25, 2012 at 8:32 pm

Love the post Mehak ! And yes yes, please do a detailed post on SPF once you back. I will try the Sesame Oil once I’m outta my Sweet Almond Oil. That works really well to remove my eye makeup. Love it !

lapanika June 25, 2012 at 8:32 pm

Congratulations on the wedding !!! Pics awaited !!

Renu June 26, 2012 at 10:54 am

Hey Mehak,

Thank you for the enlightening post. loved it. And need need need an article on sunscreens. I did check out Lisa Eldridge’s video on sunscreens. But it’s not customized for desi skin. Plz do an article soon……..

Wish you a very happy and wonderful and amazing married life. Congratulations. :)

gk June 26, 2012 at 11:15 am

I have a question. when exactly in your skin care routine do u apply the sunscreen. do u follow the below routine.. please reply

gk June 26, 2012 at 11:15 am

awaiting moderation :(

thedelhibride June 27, 2012 at 6:10 pm

Switching over to a silk pillowcase asap! Thanks for a great post :)
I also need to buy a face cream specifically for night time usage. I’ll try Shiseido since you’ve recommended it!

Nidhi Pandey June 28, 2012 at 4:03 pm

Thanks for the wonderful tips Mehak… I follow all the tips (although the products differ) but the first tip – sunscreen is something which I havtn followed ever..somehow m skeptical about using a sunscreen I feel my skin would become bad if I use a sunscreen daily..

shivani June 29, 2012 at 10:56 am

Ditto. Sceptical about sunscreens too. the more i research, the more confused i become. one school of thought says that sunscreens have harmful chemicals that cause more harm than good. physical sunscreens vs chemical sunscreens is a tough one too.
have recently ordered fab india spf 30……
Mehak, would love an indepth article on sunscreens.

Beauty India June 29, 2012 at 2:44 pm

I am very thankful to you for suggesting me a great tip……….

Gayatri singh September 3, 2012 at 3:24 am

hey! thanks mehak for the tips! i hope i try them..(too lazy) and getting married in feb! (aaaaahhhhhhhh)

shivani November 2, 2012 at 11:42 pm

Can you pls do a post on sunscreens? I am so torn between using/not using, chemical/physical susncreens, what ingredients are good/bad/ugly…lotus vs fabindia vs dermalogica vs …well you get the drift :)
Pls do a post on sunscreens!

Garima February 28, 2013 at 9:22 pm

Mehak…as always…needless to say…amazing informative post :-)
how about having a post on SPF for us? thanks :-)

Peter March 14, 2013 at 7:01 pm

I completely agree with these tips. If you’re in your 20s, your skin is at its healthiest. Lucky you. With great collagen support, your skin is very supple indeed. However, you can take preventative measure like using an anti-aging moisturizer with higher SPF. Sun exposure can cause aging. Then at night you have to apply a moisturizer to boost skin hydration. Remember, if your skin is dehydrated it is easy for the wrinkles to form. If you can to get off to a great start, protect your skin from the sun, smoking, pollution, and dehydration. Use sunscreen rain or shine and with higher SPF.