Bridal Files : The Mehendi

by mehak on July 19, 2012

in Bridal Blog, Bridal files countdown

* A lot of you are going ga-ga over this mehendi design, believe me the other side was tons prettier. He made a bride and groom with mehendi and a palki and stuff, it was gorgeous, but no snaps of those. WHy? Oh read the post yll know!

Mehendi was a tiny little small affair on Day 2, in the morning of the Éngagement . You know, honestly for me it was like chinese torture i kid you not. It was just an event with close family in the apartments where we were staying, and i thought -”Hey! Mehendi done in two hours, then ill eat food, dance to some ‘Mehendi Laga ke rakhna’ type music and done! “. But nobody prepared me for the fact that it takes more than 5 freaking hours putting that thing on your hand. Add to that an ultra strict mehendi artist , who whenver i moved was like “Madame, aapki mehendi kharab ho rahi hai. Firse hilengi toh ek aur ghanta lagaoonga” . *Sadist*. So yeah, i parked my butt on a plastic chair from 11 am to 5 pm, and all i wanted to do was screamm!!

Grrr. It got to a point where i told him “Listen Mehendi Dude. I dont care whether it gets spoilt or not, this is the least of my worries” . It really was, specially because you know, once the mehendi is on it all looks the same anyway- Black squiggly lines on your hand. I dont know, im just not a mehendi girl so i dont care about the intricacies. Not much to say about the event honestly, the cousins practiced their moves which they were going to perform for the engagement, i just sat their with a grumppy face on a chair . Post Mehendi, i lay down for about half an hour, downed two cans of red bull and then headed to get ready for the engagement. Exhausted doesnt even begin to cover it !!!

DIY Mehendi Outfit:

Since Mehendi was a small event i didnt want to spend too much money for my outfit so i did this:

• Took an old phulkari dupatta of mine which i dont use, and got a corset made out of it. Cheap and effective.
  • Got a matching skirt in cotton alongside it!

It was made by yet another cousin of mine who also runs a boutique..

DIY Mehendi Makeup

Mehendi Makeup: Almost Nothing! Reason: How would i get it all off since i cant wash my hands and then i needed to get ready for the  engagement. Just gloss, my favourite peaches blush and eyeliner.

DIY Mehendi Decor : Hung Bhandni Dupattas all around the house and covered the sofas with them too- looked like a riot of colors!

PS: I dont have ANY photographs with the mehendi all put on my hands because it took so long the photographer had to leave!!!!!!!

Pratha July 19, 2012 at 9:51 pm

Wow.. love the ‘black squiggly lines’ ;)
..and you are one Beautiful family!!

Dhara July 19, 2012 at 9:51 pm

OMG its sucha pretty mehendi…I would have sat for a couple of hours more if I had to for such beautiful designs :p I LOVE mehendi…provided somebody else is applying it on my hand :D

Asha July 19, 2012 at 9:57 pm

haha poor you… im totally opposite i love mehendi but not if someone asks me to apply for others..Grrr.. Also i like the pearl jewellery on ur fren, the one with floral clothin..

shruti July 19, 2012 at 9:57 pm

Nice mehendi! And gosh those two girls on the left are stunners. Lovedddd their outfits.

mehak July 19, 2012 at 10:10 pm

Theyr the ones who have the boutique. The one on the left made my ladies sangeet lehenga and the one on the right did my mehendi thing.

shruti July 19, 2012 at 10:18 pm

MUST check out their boutique. No wonder their outfits+jewelry looks so well put-together. Are they based in Delhi/NCR?

mehak July 19, 2012 at 10:31 pm

No unfortunately not. Ludhiana. But theyr in town every now and then for exhibition

mehak July 19, 2012 at 10:48 pm

Infact she jusssst left …she was here for that bride and groom exhibition in ashoka

shruti July 19, 2012 at 10:57 pm

Haha doesn’t help that I live in NY, does it? :D
My parents and in-laws are in the NCR though. Will ask you again for their contacts once I visit! Thanks!

mehak July 20, 2012 at 12:47 pm

Oh lol! NY ! Yuppp..will let you know though!

nikita November 17, 2013 at 2:17 pm

hiii can u tell me name of you mehndi wala or his address…. please

swaths July 19, 2012 at 10:08 pm

you are looking very pretty mehak. Loved the vibrancy of the outfit! And mehandi is nice and intricate. :)

Shruti Dhingra Wahi July 19, 2012 at 10:08 pm

Wow lovely designs :-)
Nice clicks too :-)
Shruti Dhingra Wahi recently posted..Paneer Butter MasalaMy Profile

Kejal July 19, 2012 at 10:09 pm

Lovely mehendi! and you looked really pretty and glowing!
Kejal recently posted..Guest Post : Baby Mani! for my friendMy Profile

thedelhibride July 19, 2012 at 10:31 pm

I love your outfit. And your mehendi it truly realllyyy pretty. But refuse to sit for 5 hours :( I will throw a fit! Not kidding. I do not have that kind of patience. I will definitely pay the extra just to wrap it up in 2 hours, 3 MAX. Thanks for the heads up! Any mehendi artist recommendations in Delhi? I want someone who doesn’t charge me a bomb just because I’m the bride. The guy I spoke to is saying he will charge Rs 5,000 for just my mehendi. Isn’t that too much?! I don’t even want THAT much mehendi, much lesser amount than what brides generally get. SOS!
thedelhibride recently posted..Wedding Asia – Exhibition tomorrow at Hotel AshokaMy Profile

swati July 19, 2012 at 10:37 pm

Hey i liked your dress.. and the decoration style is also amazing.. Btw i loved the mehndi.. m crazy fr mehndi :)
looking frwrd to more ideas :)

Swati R July 19, 2012 at 10:52 pm

Mehak I am excited to know why the photo shoot was done before your wedding???(you told us your father in law asked for those pics) :)
Swati R recently posted..7 home remedies to lighten PigmentationMy Profile

Neha July 19, 2012 at 10:58 pm

Woww mehak.. you look really pretty.. Loved ur last snap, its so natural and bridey..And that corset idea is great… :)

Giggle girlie July 19, 2012 at 11:08 pm

Love your outfit!phulkari dupatta into corset…amazing thought and styling!!
And look at all the girls they are so pretty!Who is that lady next to u in top row second pic from collage?!!she has great fashion and color sense..I like her outfit…is it saree???
Giggle girlie recently posted..Summer Nails:Nail ArtMy Profile

Jyoti July 19, 2012 at 11:16 pm

loved ur mehendi Mehak. <3 so much fun it is
Jyoti recently posted..Outfit Of The Day: With My Collection of Sarees! (Vol.1)My Profile

Tani July 19, 2012 at 11:21 pm

Omg, your mehendi is beautiful..love EACH and EVERY intricate pattern! No wonder it took so long! and I love what you did with your dupatta – very creative! :)

Rosie July 19, 2012 at 11:36 pm

Oh how i love the design!
i will need the phone number of this Mehendi waala from you!
Rosie recently posted..HECKMy Profile

M July 20, 2012 at 12:01 am

I like that pic of yours in the second row, middle…it’s so candid and nice !

thedelhibride July 20, 2012 at 3:14 pm

Even I found that pic to be the best one! Gotta love candid shots :)
thedelhibride recently posted..thedelhibride Asks…about Makeup Artists!My Profile

Akshi July 20, 2012 at 12:46 am

We have our mehendi just a night before the wedding with the sangeet. Thats why they say you should always keep the mehendi function in the evening!
And btw I love your dress! just one question though……did you have any problem in applying mehendi on your feet, I mean with the skirt?

mehak July 20, 2012 at 10:46 am

Hi Akshi,
no actually because it was cotton it was very light….so i just lifted it, by the time i could put my lehenga doewn the mehendi dried.

Dolon July 20, 2012 at 3:51 am

I have the same dupatta!!..loved the idea of the corset n the skirt. You looked great!
Dolon recently posted..Win This Victoria’s Secret Fragrance Mist!My Profile

ramya July 20, 2012 at 7:18 am

its very nice.that design in leg was fabulous.wow u look so gorgeous after putting mehandi.

Nirah July 20, 2012 at 9:29 am

You look lovely . So does your Mehandi.
I remember being heartbroken when my wedding mehandi started fading. :)

Rima July 20, 2012 at 10:21 am

i looove your dress……and it being an a DIY outfit makes me jump and hug you!!!!!what a lovely idea!I like the bandhni dupatta decor idea too.

Frances July 20, 2012 at 10:26 am

6 hours is a LONG time to spend in a chair, but OMG that looks totally worth it! So pretty and intricate, and I love that he left un-mehendi’d spaces here and there. Sometimes a REALLY heavily mehendi’d arm can look like a glove (or worse, just hairy!), this looks so delicate and very classic.

I love the outfit, too. Coloured balls! (sounds so wrong) Those are the best bit, I’d be twirling endlessly to show them off ;-)

Looking at these pics, it really seems like perfect, pore-free skin runs in your family, lucky girlie! Is the cousin in the blue velvet outfit the one who runs Bellezaa?

mehak July 20, 2012 at 10:45 am

Yup she does !

mehak July 20, 2012 at 11:12 am

I wish i could have twirled endlessly, i just couldnt get out of that chair!!!

Riya July 20, 2012 at 10:44 am

Awesome mehendi, i remember my mom fed me lunch while my mehendi thing was on and both of us had wet eyes. The mehendi artist was shocked to see all the women around breaking down.

sakhi July 20, 2012 at 11:07 am

Going thru ur marriage files ..i really want to get married once again…………….
sakhi recently posted..A ceiling Fan’s TaleMy Profile

Meena July 20, 2012 at 11:47 am

Hi Mehak, congratulations fr ur marriage:) ..I loved ur skirt …From where did u get that? This dress is completely awesum:)

mehak July 20, 2012 at 12:11 pm

I got it made…

Vaishnavi July 20, 2012 at 12:11 pm

Whoa!! Even though its not popular in South India, I love mehendi!! I simple go get my hands decorated even if its my 5th cousin’s cousin’s wedding…so you get the point!!

5 hours and the works look pretty darn great!! You look super tired in the 3rd pic!!

love ur DIY idea…when its my time, thats what I am doing because we dont have an official mehendi function!!!
Vaishnavi recently posted..Weekends Temptations – 5My Profile

Aruna July 20, 2012 at 12:50 pm

Mehak, Such pretty pictures :)
I love that all your wedding outfits were not only pretty but also, sensible!
I loved your mehendi and your patience has me seeing you in an all new light. Respect man!

mehak July 20, 2012 at 1:58 pm

Hehe oh i wasnt patient at all..i was like a 3 yr old kid who just wanted to get up every 2 min!

Isha July 20, 2012 at 1:03 pm

Omg! that is a DIY outfit? :O It looks amazing!!
Im sure the mehendi on the other side was great, but this one’s good too!
and hey, congratulations!

jiisha.blogspot.in
Isha recently posted..D-d-d-d-d-d-d-dDilli Dilli!My Profile

Shivangi July 20, 2012 at 1:29 pm

:( 5 hours is too too much Mehak! Can we get such skirts readymade? I luved it a lot!

Meenu July 20, 2012 at 2:00 pm

“once the mehendi is on it all looks the same anyway- Black squiggly lines on your hand”
I cant agree more with you…….. i like mehendi but on others’ hand and i like its smell, but of course on others’ hand…… and i like watching its application… again on others’ hand

mehak July 20, 2012 at 2:02 pm

lol! Basically your like me…you dont really care about it !!!!

roopa July 20, 2012 at 2:46 pm

woooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooow ! Mehak, ur mehndi is absolutely gorgeous and out of this world. I wud love to get married again, just for the sake of applying mehndi.

philamazan July 20, 2012 at 3:32 pm

aww….. it looks pretty… but sounds exhausting :p
philamazan recently posted..GEO Xtra circle lens – WTB31 Violet (aka diamond series)review and EOTDMy Profile

Crazy Indian Bride July 20, 2012 at 5:45 pm

Mehendi looking really nice!!

too bad the photographer had to leave :(

How long did you keep the mehendi for? you had the engagement in the evening right?

I totally love mehendi :D , my mehendi wali informed me it will take around 6 hours, totally ready to sit as long as it takes :D ( I guess its almost the same time for everyone)
Crazy Indian Bride recently posted..Random Rambling 1: Suits Vs SareeMy Profile

MK July 20, 2012 at 6:49 pm

I really love your post and your journey that you have covered in the Bridal Files! Nice Dresses :)

Lovey July 20, 2012 at 8:35 pm

Hi Mehak… I loved your dresses… May I know the contact information of the boutique as I live in Ludhiana..

mehak July 20, 2012 at 8:58 pm

There are two…one is called Bellezaa :9814073713
The other is called Archana :9872800093

Both in ludhiana but both are quite expensive!

janisjoplinfan July 21, 2012 at 1:55 am

apart from the fact that what a fab DIY outfit this is, what i love is how well put-together and nicely done up the women in your family are for a “small family affair”…not to mention that all of them are so pwetty..please pass on this compliment to them…they do truly look like the family of a fabulous beauty blogger!! :D

Bhumika July 21, 2012 at 3:17 pm

Mehendi design is awesome ! Ya sitting for 5 hours is sure a big pain..but I love the outcome though :)
Bhumika recently posted..OOTD: Black Long Sleeve Lace Dress and Three Layers NecklaceMy Profile

Nidhi Pandey July 22, 2012 at 12:26 pm

Hi Mehak!
Your dress is gorgeous! Loved the idea of phulkari dupatta..Have been planning to buy a Phulkari dupatta since long..havnt been able to find a good one..guess wud hav to cum to Delhi:)
Nidhi Pandey recently posted..It’s Monsoon. Be Cautious! Part 1My Profile

Vanny H July 23, 2012 at 12:50 pm

Ok so you put mehendi on your legs…Tell me something… Did it look weird with the skirts and dresses…?? Coz i cant see myself with mehendi on my legs and a dress..Is there any way to make it look good?

mehak July 23, 2012 at 1:02 pm

Lol it does look wierd with skirt and dresses you just cannot help that unfortunatly!

DB July 23, 2012 at 3:09 pm

Mehak,

First of all Congrats.
And secondly the mehendi dress is awesome – simple and pretty. The color looks gorgeous on you.
I was looking for mehendi attire and landed on your page.

Loved all the pics.

Enjoy
DB
DB recently posted..Avon Naturals Cherry Blossom Hand and Body Lotion – ReviewMy Profile

Curious Girl September 10, 2012 at 12:05 pm

Well, I must say that mehendi design is BEAUTIFUL! one of the finest and most intricate! Would really appreciate if you could tell me who the mehendi artist and where is he based. Also, can I just say I love how you’re organised and plan and research everything to the T! gosh you’re seriously like my go-to blog! esp living in delhi its jus so practical. And kind of you to share aswell xx

swati September 23, 2012 at 3:50 pm

Mehak please let me the contact details of your mehendi wala :)) I love it :))

Nav October 8, 2012 at 5:47 am

Your mehndi was gorgeous! I was just wasting time on google to get some idea for my cousin…and voila, your page came up! It is pretty awesome, not that you don’t know that yet :)
Anyways, so I just read that comment about the boutique in Ldh. I have family there. I was wondering if you could give me more info on the address , dresses, and price range. I live in US, but I can always have someone else check it out for me! :)
I also have another question, which you dont have to answer if you dont want to. I really liked your outfit, the purple anarkali, it was in a different post. I was trying to see if something like that would suit me. I am not really tall, so i wondering if you wouldn’t mind sharing, not exact but may be an approximate like if you are taller than 5’6″ or shorter or so. It can help me see it better.
I will waiting for your reply.
Nav

mehak October 8, 2012 at 8:48 am

I dont know the addresses but one is called archana in civil lines…but theyr quite expensive…anarkalis will cost you something like 30-40K.
if you would like to get something made from delhi then read this : http://peachesandblush.com/2012/10/launched-the-pb-personal-bridal-shopping-in-delhi-service.html

nav October 8, 2012 at 5:16 pm

Thank you for replying. I am not planning to buy an outfit for that much, atleast currently. But I will let my cousin know. She is getting some pretty awesome clothes, so she might be interested

mehak October 8, 2012 at 5:18 pm

Sure..i can get stuff made for a lot cheaper.

mehak October 8, 2012 at 5:21 pm

Also i 5.6 exact

nav October 8, 2012 at 8:18 pm

Aww thanks :) …I am only 5’3″ so I usually don’t suit anarkalis, unless they have vertical pattern. O well, I will just bother my mommy to go get me one

Himanshi October 13, 2012 at 7:19 pm

Hey dat really is a beautiful Mehndi Design Indeed…….. I wouldn’t skip dat you too luked gorgeous in dat bright Orange Skirt…. well I have my wedding in Feb so can you tell me who was your mehndi artist….. I would be obliged to know dat….. Take Care…….

Deeksha October 23, 2012 at 12:25 pm

Hey pls can you give me the contact of the mehendi wala..this help wud make my day.. :) n u luk lovely in all ur pics..!!! :)

mehak October 23, 2012 at 12:52 pm

the mehendi wala is from hyderabad..my wedding happened in hyd..

Deeksha November 8, 2012 at 5:09 pm

u luk super gorgeous in all outfits.. :) pls..can u tell me who is the mehndi artist..I stay in Delhi..wud b lot of help..

Thanks

Puneet November 21, 2012 at 8:47 pm

Hi Mehak…..jst found out abt this website today itself. Though I am married but I came to know abt it at right time as these days we r plannin wedding of my brother. I loved ur wedding outfits. In the last pic on the left, the girl in black….is she Anchal frm Ludhiana??? Pls do reply.

mehak November 21, 2012 at 9:06 pm

Hi Puneet, yes she is !!! Shes my first cousin!

Puneet November 23, 2012 at 6:33 pm

Oh wow!! We studies in the same class in GCG Ldh. Good to see her aftr so long. I remember Anchal Aulakh….pretty shy girl. Is she runnin a boutique these days in Ldh.??? If yes, pls fwd me the details of whr it is and her no. pls. Will really appreciate.

mehak November 23, 2012 at 6:42 pm

Her outiques called bellezaa..09814073713

Gayatri December 19, 2012 at 9:09 am

Hey..Ur DIY outfit looks awesome:) May I know where to get the skirt you are wearing from? Thanks:-)

Gayatri December 19, 2012 at 9:30 am

Hi:)Ur DIY outfit is awesome..May I know where to get the skirt from? Thanks:)

Sonia January 28, 2013 at 8:31 pm

Hahaha! My mehendi was done in 8 hours straight by a “friend” who charged me 10 times more than those in india for those black squiggly lines the night before my morning wedding. Wore an old suit (“don’t wear a lehenga, you’ll spoil it”, “who wears a saree to her own mehendi?!?”). You’re so lucky. Cried almost every hour(every time I see my mum, I’m a momma’s girl). Thank god the photographer didn’t show up, would have thrown the pictures out of my wedding album and pretended it never existed anyway. The whole mehendi function was over by 1 am, slept on a carpet at 2 am with the dry mehendi on since I was forbidden to wash it. An hour later, I woke up finding my cousin scratching the mehendi off. Told her to stop, went to shower and washed it away. I can’t even begin to describe how much i HATED (have no fond memories except for the dance part by cousins) my mehendi night!

mehak January 28, 2013 at 10:50 pm

Hahahaha omg ! i can so empathize. Like i loved my mehendi designa nd everything, but im just not the kind of girl who can spend 6 hours on a chair putting pretty designs on my hand…

Chandan June 25, 2013 at 7:57 pm

Guys, any Mehendi artist recommendations in Delhi? I am based in Saket and need help figuring out a good one!

Ashima July 16, 2013 at 10:33 am

Hi Mehak,

Do you have any recommendations for mehndi artists in Delhi? I have no clue about Mehndi artists and the general prices in Delhi and am struggling to find anything on the net! Pls recommend someone who can make really fine and pretty black squiggly lines on my hand for my wedding in December! :P

Shweta July 31, 2013 at 11:36 pm

Hi Mehak,

How do I order this lehenga? Please help because I am getting married soon and I love this lehenga. Infact all your wedding outfits are amazing.

mehak August 1, 2013 at 12:04 am

Hi Shweta, Please contact me at mehak@bridesbypb.com

Aparna August 27, 2013 at 11:24 am

Heyyyy, everything so well put together mehak :-) I’m in my struggling and breaking my head against the wall several times with regards to planning phase :-( would anyone know of good mehendi artists in Delhi. I know of them in Mumbai and there the colour is deeep, Delhi iv noticed that the designs are good but the colour does not turn too dark. Any suggestions for henna artists, I am particular about the colour being nice and deep.

shubhi agrawal September 3, 2013 at 9:39 pm

Hi…loved ur mehendi and u look very pretty….can i hav ur mehendi walaz no…..i m gettng married in december….thanks in advance…

Vaishnavi September 22, 2013 at 11:32 pm

Hi,

Just love your mehendi. Can you please suggest some mehendi artists and their prices in Hyderabad.

Thank you.

Husna Afzal October 13, 2013 at 11:25 am

Hey I’m from Hyderabad .. Can you Temme who the Mehndi artist was ?? Also can you suggest some others as well and give us details about the price ?
Thanks :)

mehak October 13, 2013 at 4:28 pm

This guy caled Mujahid…hes known as mujju in hyderabad circles

Richa December 29, 2013 at 2:03 pm

Omg…..Such stunning mehendi…who was your artist?do you have any contact no for the same that you can help me with?plzzzz will be a life saver….:)

Vennela January 23, 2014 at 2:48 pm

Mehak, You look stunning…your outfit, your glowing skin and mehendi is so good!!!

I can’t help to ask his contact number. My wedding is slated to be in March. And I want mehendi as beautful as yours. Can you please share with me his coontact number…

Thanks in advance :)

Vennela January 23, 2014 at 2:49 pm

. My wedding is slated to be in March. And I want mehendi as beautiful as yours. Can you please share with me his contact number…

Thanks in advance :)