VOV Pigment in Olive Green (008)

by mehak on July 22, 2012

in Eye Products, eyeshadow, Reviews

Vov Olive Green Pigment Review

Guest Post by Manu

VOV is seriously one of the most underrated/ ignored  makeup brands available in India possibly because of its cheap, unattractive packaging.. However if you look past that, VOV offers some really affordable, decent quality makeup that delivers bang for your buck! I have tried a few products from this brand and I have to say that I’m pretty impressed with them. Most of their basic stuff is within the Rs 100-250 price range and for that price they are really good.

We’re all familiar with Nyx lip creams, right? Well, VOV offers exact dupes of them for Rs 110 or so. Great deal or what? I’ve also tried one of their lip-paint-gloss duos. You know like the Superstay ones from Maybelline? They are just Rs120 or so and pretty decent quality. The best part is, they’re so cheap that even if you aren’t crazy about the lip color, you can always just use the clear gloss on its own. No, seriously, the Maybelline clear glosses cost Rs190/200. So, if you buy the VOV lip duos just for the clear gloss, it’ll still be cost-effective.

Another example of decent VOV makeup that costs peanuts is their range of pigments. The one I have is a shimmery golden olive. It’s a beautiful colour with great pigmentation. I find it just a tad too shimmery to be used on its own on the eyes so I pair it with either a green or black base. A black base mutes the shimmer and brings out the green hues a lot more. This is my favourite way of wearing it. Sometimes, when I don’t want to wear eye shadow but just want a hint of colour on the eyes, I apply an olive green eyeliner and pat a tiny bit of this pigment on top of it. It looks amazing, lightens my dark brown eyes and makes them pop.

So, what’s the big deal, you can get similar golden olive pigments/eyeshadows from Inglot, Mac and even Coastal Scents, right? Oh, ok, how about this? You can get your hands on a not-so-tiny 7.5g jar of these pigments for just Rs50!!! (I totally sound like those TVC commercials J) Yep, you heard right. I got this at Rs50 though it’s Rs75 in some stores. It depends on where you buy it. They are cheapest at the wholesale beauty centres/shops.

•  I haven’t experienced any fall-out but then I haven’t experienced fall-out with any pigments I’ve used till date. I am of the opinion that fall-outs are mostly because of the way they’re applied and not so much because of the quality of the eyeshadow/pigment per se. I may be wrong though..I am a makeup novice, after all.
  •  As for creasing/fading/wear time, I think using pigments (cheap/expensive) with a good primer is really important. So, if you use this with a good primer, you should be good to go.
  • The quantity of product in the jar is huge and will last a really, really, really long time.
  •  The jar is equipped with one of those sifter lids (not really sure what they’re called. You can see it in the pics) that ensures that the pigment doesn’t fly all over the place when you open it. The Faces stackable pigments don’t have this sifter lid and I have to turn off the fans each time I open the little jars to make sure the pigments don’t fly into my face..lol!!

Oh and if you want, you can mix a bit of the pigment with clear nail varnish and create your custom nail paints too!

Rating: A-

Price: Rs50/Rs75 (depending on where you get it from).

Final Recommendation: The VOV Pigment in Olive Green is a beautiful golden olive pigment with a ton of shimmer that is also super duper affordable.  These pigments are a great budget buy and last you forever so if you have access to these then do try them out. If you’ve never used pigments before then get one of these to see if pigments are your cup of tea or not.

Sweet&Bitter July 22, 2012 at 2:17 pm

i love VOV stuffs but they are sooooo tough to get! Anyone from Kolkata, please tell me where I can find this….

Nivedita July 23, 2012 at 12:02 am

me too!! :( I could locate the palettes, etc, the regular stuff, but not the pigments which I have been so looking for!

swati July 22, 2012 at 2:29 pm

You are right.. I always looked down upon vov
But recently i bought a lip gloss from vov and its really nice with golden shimmer in it. Will purchase more stuff from this brand :)

tannima July 22, 2012 at 4:09 pm

where do u buy VOV from..?? some one knows any place in delhi..?

Manu July 22, 2012 at 8:15 pm

Well, we can get them in those huge wholesale beauty shops here in Mumbai so if you have any such shops in Delhi you might find VOV there :)

Nivedita July 23, 2012 at 12:02 am

I really need these pigments in my life! Even I ahve been looking for these in Kolkata, but can’t seem to find them.
Where exactly in Mumbai did you find them? I am going up there sometime soon. I would like to get all the pots they have!

Manu July 23, 2012 at 10:19 am

Hi Nivedita, I got them at the beauty centre in Crawford market. But let me warn you, there isn’t a huge colour selection. I only noticed blue-grey, forest green, olive green, silver and gold but I think you can find similar dirt-cheap pigments from other brands in the same shop :)

Nivedita July 23, 2012 at 4:09 pm

Hi Manu, thank you for the warning. Any idea if these could be available anywhere near Powai?

Manu July 23, 2012 at 11:39 pm

You could try New Beauty Centre in Khar..it’s supposedly around 25 minutes by road from Powai (google maps).( 138, S V Road, Next To BMC Hospital, Opposite Khar Masjid, Khar West, Mumbai- 400050) Hope this helps..oh, and there’re also jhatak pink and blue shades in vov pigments :)

Nivedita July 24, 2012 at 10:49 am

:D Thank you so much!!!

Swati R July 22, 2012 at 7:23 pm

I believe it’s available at the local cosmetics stores in Delhi… the ones which sells bindis and all

tannima July 22, 2012 at 8:13 pm

ohk next time i would certainly check them out..

shivangi July 22, 2012 at 10:59 pm

The only problem with VOV is its duplicates available in the market! but this one is worth buying :)

Tanmayee July 22, 2012 at 11:15 pm

yes vov rocks, I have used their nail polish and they are good for the price :)

Manu July 23, 2012 at 10:21 am

Yup, they make some really good stuff at excellent prices :)

Dolon July 23, 2012 at 1:15 am

Rs 50 – 75!!!! Wow..I know stylecraze is coming out with VOV pretty soon..get ready to haul girls:))

Manu July 23, 2012 at 10:25 am

Yes, Stylecraze is really expanding their brand selection, na?

Blossom July 23, 2012 at 4:15 pm

I’ve been hunting for VOV products.. Read good reviews of it.. Please someone tell me where I can buy it in Delhi..

Nidhi Pandey July 24, 2012 at 3:10 pm

Hey thr!
I have been searching for a cheap gold pigment for eyeshadows..since I donot know how gold would look on me …this seems to be a good option..
plus I liked the idea of mixing it with nail varnish to create nail colour :)
BTW I am Nidhi..and I run a blog on nutrition. Do drop by to post comments

Preeti Kaur January 16, 2013 at 8:26 pm

I also find VOV as an affordable and quality brand but the only problem with it is that not all stores keep their stock so availability is an issue. I will try to find this and try it…