Bridal Files: The Sisters Outfits & The Tale of Two Rings

by mehak on August 6, 2012

in Bridal Blog, Bridal files countdown

I thought the Bridal Files would be incomplete without a little post on what the sisters wore. Ofcourse there were too any sisters and occasions to put all of them in here so i put in the ones i have full length shots of!!! As always happens in Punjabi families, most of the sisters wore their own engagement /wedding lehengas and sets. The one on the extreme left is a Sabyasachi that my cousin wore for her own engagement, and the one second from right is an Anjali Arjun that she wore for her own reception. The rest are bought from boutiques/ stitched etc. ANother thing about sisters- they really are the ones who complete a wedding. While the boys are busy drinking or checking out other girls, the sisters will be the ones who will accompany you to the parlour (Word of advice: alwaYs ask one friend/sister to accompany you, its very helpful), they will fight for the joota -chupai money , and they will become the crisis solvers in all times. So while one cousin was the unofficial makeup artists to all the girls (my friends used to literally queu up outside her room to get their makeup done), another was the unofficial ‘money-asker’ , and another was the lead dancer that everyone went Ga-Ga over. No sisters in the wedding, No fun!!!!

A long time ago, when me and boy were still dating he read Ayn Rands ‘Atlas Shrugged ‘ and it influenced him so much that he said he would  ask his future wife to marry him by gifting her a clay ring. (In the book, the male protagonist gifts his lover a steel bracelet and she wears it as if it were the most precious metal on earth). Ofcourse, i did a little double take, errmmm i understand the notion and all, but i dont want a Clay ring !!!!!! Well, thankfully i think he sort of forgot all that , because he gave me two rings for the wedding. One was the ring went he went down on one knee and proposed on a hot air balloon- that was a cute little ring with butterfly carvings bought from ‘Swarovski’.  The other was the actual engagement ring…and since you insisted on seeing a better picture here are both of them!

The Swarovski Butterfly Ring

Engagement Ring

Apart from that, im just settling in to what is ‘married life’. I dont think its the marriage part that took time to get used to, its the living alone part. I am lazy with a big fat L and now with a house to manage on our  own and maid issues everyday, i have new found respect for what my mom did  !!!! The part i am really enjoying is setting up the house- we just have basics for now, but i love going and shopping for those cute little kick knacks that the boy doesnt understand. Oh one word of caution if you are moving in with a boy- they have screwed up notions of what should be kept where. My boy thinks the dining table is a storage space for things!!!! Umm. Hello, which school did he go to?

Solitaires Why you so expensive?

No seriously, why?  By the way, if i can give you all a bit of advice on solitaires, try and buy them from a diamond wholesaler rather than a regular jeweller .  There is a BIG difference in price!!!!  Ofcourse no matter who you buy from always insist on a certification. A 1 carat solitaire will range anywhere from 1.5 Lakhs (Very okayish quality ) to 3 Lakhs+ (Very good quality) But if you go to jewellers and to shops like Áura’ and the like they wont sell you anything below the 3 lakh variant. Also round solitaires are the most expensive, so if you are on a budget then consider the princess cut/ ascher cut varieties as well!

swastika August 6, 2012 at 10:11 am

loved your gorgeous..
and again i am completely bowled over by the anjali arjun saree!

shivani August 6, 2012 at 10:34 am

I luved the Anjali Arjun saree! both the rings are so pretty!

Nidhi Pandey August 6, 2012 at 10:35 am

Hi Mehak! I so very agree with you one how sisters are important! It reminded me of my wedding…
Loved your engagement ring :)

Neha August 6, 2012 at 10:41 am

Anjali Arjun one is stunning.. I also liked the pink lehenga in the center, where is it from??
And who doesn’t love solitaires ;)

Kejal August 6, 2012 at 10:47 am

Lovely Ring!! or rings! they r both pretty!
Ahem! why is dining considered as storage space? why? why?!!

Pooja@IBC August 6, 2012 at 10:54 am

Gawjus rings darling! Must say The Boy’s got an eye for finer things on life ;)
Loved the Anjali Arjun saree! Very pretty and ethereal!
P.S solitaires are so expensive coz the diamond trading cartels artificially suppress supply and control prices..Diamonds in engagement rings is a very recent trend thanks to heavy duty marketing ‘diamonds are forever’. If you r buying diamond from a wholesaler don’t ever buy without IGI/GIA certification..

mehak August 6, 2012 at 11:00 am

Yeah..ofcourse..certificates are a must!

mehak August 6, 2012 at 11:02 am

And i want solitaire earrings :( Ill have to like save for a zillion ears to get them considering hwo much expenses the house needs

Dolon August 6, 2012 at 11:33 am

I loved the blue and red sari..gorgeous colors. And your rings are beautiful. The boy has great taste:)

SweetAndBitter August 6, 2012 at 11:48 am

thought he thinks that dinning table is for storing things, hats off to him for the nice choices he make (u are also one of them darling :D ). Its does not matter which school they go to, all boys need training and I am sure u will be able to train him to even balance a ping pong ball on his nose. LOL

mehak August 6, 2012 at 12:28 pm

haha ping pong ball on his nosee!!! hmmm…let me try that this saturday!

Vanu August 6, 2012 at 9:13 pm

LOL…. ping pong ball on his nose!! Mehak just imagine it :0

Aditi Pednekar August 6, 2012 at 12:17 pm

I envy you for the fact that you have so many sisters!! I just have 1/2 in my age group and like a dozen of cousin brothers who will be almost useless during weddings. Moreover I have more guy friends than girls. I wish I read your post back in high school, I would have made more “girl” friends.. LOL
The Anjali Arun is very pretty.

The engagement ring is superb!! I also will be having 2 rings. :) ;)

mehak August 6, 2012 at 12:29 pm

Haha not really useless but yeah useless in terms of helping you !!!!
Oh i had around 12 friends fly down to Hyderabad…out of which only 5 were women!!!!! But i REALLY needed those 5 in the end !!!

Crazy Indian Bride August 6, 2012 at 2:05 pm

Totally agree with you on the sister bit!
I am the eldest daughter through out my extended family, so all my sisters are younger than me but old enough to instruct around (read slave around ;P ).

Plus I have loads of girl-friends, unfortunetly they will be flying in a few days before wedding, but still the wedding and mehendi will be a fun-filled affair.
Its really the girls that are the best-wedding helpers.

LOVE LOVE LOVE the butterfly ring *tiny jealous*, touchwood ‘Boy’ has a really good choice!

shweta August 6, 2012 at 2:59 pm

haha mehak u r nt alone… the dining table at my place is also considered a “dumping table”by the husband… so instead of losing it… i started doing the same!!!n he keeps it clean now haha!

mehak August 6, 2012 at 4:51 pm

oh god….spo they all think the same…i just dont get it..
hes asking me- but why do we have a dining table if we cant [ut stuff on it.. EAT on it? hullo?

Meenu August 6, 2012 at 4:02 pm

I totally agree for the things your said about the sisters…….. I have been one of the “sisters” to weddings and i m sure you must have been too….. Sisters love doing these things too…..
Your rings are gorgeous!!!
hey can put some more pictures of attendees’/relatives’ outfits please

Aparna August 6, 2012 at 5:34 pm

Hi Mehak! The metro girl is back to comment on ur blog :P.hahahh actually want little help.M getting married in Nov and m looking for an engagement ring.can u let me know the places from where ill get the best price on diamonds.Thanks luv!

mehak August 6, 2012 at 6:08 pm

Ooh i got mine from jaipurim really not too good with all these jewellery things..But i would say jaipur/bombay is a better bet than delhi..Whats your budget like?

SweetAndBitter August 6, 2012 at 6:16 pm

jaipur? more input please…. *making puppy face*

mehak August 6, 2012 at 6:24 pm

Hehe…well we know of someone in jaipur and he gave me the stone…….wasnt from a big shop.

mehak August 6, 2012 at 6:44 pm

cant remember the store name, but i know it had a fbook page will digg aorund and let u know

Ansh@VNA August 6, 2012 at 5:35 pm

dats priyam on extreme right, no? ur sisters have such a good taste in fashion

Gwen @ Makeup Toys August 6, 2012 at 7:00 pm

You have got a beautiful ring!

Chris August 6, 2012 at 8:13 pm

I’m so glad you took a better picture of the ring. It is stunning!

beingpretty August 6, 2012 at 8:24 pm

Both the rings are amazing Mehak!! :)

Jan August 6, 2012 at 9:35 pm

If there is one advice I have tried and tested about getting the boys to be organised its this – Organizing things should be auto-pilot job. Make your place very functional by having lot of storage places for things. If there is clutter in the house , it means there is not enough storage. Everything should have a place to go back , i.e a house of their own. i.e my hub’s watches,key chains, wallet and their other “pocket” things go in a small drawer in a console table by the entrance. So once you set the rules up , they follow like robots. It took me 3 years to learn this. But believe me, its very successful :)

Sorry for the home related advice , but the clutter on the dining table is what got me started. Been there , done that :)

mehak August 7, 2012 at 2:24 pm

Ooh i made the boy read this comment and he ws like see ‘ THAT is a woman who understand men’ ,…HAAH
Good idea, im going to hoard up on storage items!

Jan August 7, 2012 at 6:39 pm

LOL…men are really easy to manipulate…you just have to learn the trick ;-)

sunaa August 6, 2012 at 10:39 pm

aww tht butterfly ring luks so cute =)

sakshi August 6, 2012 at 10:48 pm

m in love wid both the rings.. ur engagement ring is superb n dat butterfly ring is supa cute….!!!!!!!!

Varuna August 6, 2012 at 11:41 pm

Hey Mehak,

I have seen the green n red saree (second from left) on Sridevi..Which designer is it from?
I have a photo of this saree in my reference pics :P .. As i told you earlier i am a shameless copycat. lolz

mehak August 7, 2012 at 10:45 am

Nooo idea varuna..

divya g August 7, 2012 at 1:44 am

Aww Mehak I hope the Bridal Files are never ‘complete’, I am hoping that even in 2 years time you’ll dig out a random pic and make a post on it; thing is, these posts are too addictive!x

mehak August 7, 2012 at 10:44 am

haha i probably will, theres always something to remember and riwrite about

Swati R August 7, 2012 at 3:02 pm

Loved the Anjali Arjun dress…
and your rings are soo beautiful… and the idea of proposing on a hot air balloon is cute :)

Jyoti August 7, 2012 at 9:02 pm

I remembered the Anjali Aruna saree from your other wedding post .Its absolutely gorgeous. <3
You are so lucky to have so many sisters. I had no one with me during my wedding except for my bhabhi.

Vaishnavi August 8, 2012 at 3:01 pm

Loving both your rings!!!

thedelhibride August 11, 2012 at 2:21 pm

I loved the Swarovski idea so much, it inspired a whole post on my blog! And to repeat what everyone else is saying, I love both the rings! Thanks for always sharing these great ideas and providing inspiration to us brides!

KLD March 2, 2013 at 3:23 pm

Hey Mehak, This is my first visit here and its a lovely blog and you make a lovely bride. And looks like I got married just a month before yours – May 2012. Of your sisters’ sarees, I recognise the green one, second from the left, having seen it before on Sridevi (over two yrs ago on high heel confidential). Is that Suneet Varma? I recollect Sridevi’s blouse being similar too.
Also, your engagement dress is so different n refreshing. I am currently helping a friend shop for her wedding stuff across the continent. Thanks to whatsapp :) Was your dress a real Suneet Varma? Must have been super expensive rt!

mehak March 2, 2013 at 10:08 pm

Hey Mine is a suneet verma,,,the sisters saree is a pam mehta