P & B Real Brides: Meet Varuna

by mehak on August 1, 2012

in Bridal Blog, Real Brides

What is “P & B Real Brides”?  Real Brides is a feature where we get to know one recent bride or bride to be and pick her brains about all things we love to talk about- outfits, lehengas, makeup artists, love stories.  Admit it, you are a sucker for weddings, and no matter whose getting married you WANT to be involved-!!!! Its also a platform for brides to ask the general audience advice on anything they need help on- from finding a good makeup artist in their area to finding the perfect boutique  for stitching.

Meet Varuna

Profession: Software Engineer ☹☹☹ Dreamt of becoming a fashion designer , a pilot , a businesswoman and what not… :P :P (Dont we all Varuna, Dont we all)

Wedding Day: December 2012 !! I will be sharing my roka cum engagement pics. (Please share your wedding/sagan pics too!)
Her Love Story:  ”A love marriage, simple yet not so simple love story. Its not just a predictable love story of two colleagues becoming friends first and then lovers.It all started with becoming enemies at workplace,then kind of forced friends because of the common gang of friends.A fb request which lead to daliy conversations till 3 AM , A special proposal,CCD visits(whole ccd ,south ex staff knows us and they used to give special treatment to us,being their daily visitors,lolz..),few lunch dates ,then after 6 months a big “YES” from my side and then all the family drama started. It feels so strange sometimes that i m head over heels in love with the guy whom i hated the most,once upon a time (due to silly and baseless reasons,which i realized later).I was not ready for any relationship initially,but destiny brought us together and i fell in love with him eventually.Families are happy and Yes,i am so happy that i accepted the proposal and loving being in this relationship.Looking forward to happily spending the rest of my life with him . :-)

The Roka / Ring Ceremony

Roka Outfit – Pink / purple lehgna with gota-patti work .This outfit was a love at first sight due to the b’ful colors ,also i was tired after visiting so many places and dint like anything much.I had very less time in my hand and was totally disappointed to see the collection at different shops.I do not like heavy ,blingy work. I wanted roka outfit to be light-weight ,multicolored and with no bling.This had very simple work and was rich on color,so opted for this one.I spotted the ombre skirt under the piles of lehngas because of b’ful pink color and gota work , then i got busy with the sales person browsing and trying on other lehngas, but my mind was still stuck to that b;ful color peeping out of the pile.Finally, i asked him to show this one and then i really liked this simple yet b’ful lehnga. (I adore it Varuna, the colors are so pretty!)
Price – 30-31K

Where I Bought it : Frontier Raas

Footwear – CatWalk – Not visible here

Make-up and hair – Shalini Singh (Style Studio) . The makeup was okay, but i felt like she used a yellowish base on my face which made me look dull and sallow. I also felt like i didnt have that much *glow* as a bride should have (Editors Note: You look really pretty though Varuna, and usually Shalini does really great Brides! )

Price of Shalini’Makeup – 18K

Most fun moment – The dance part , Boy is from a punjabi family and the whole family rocked the dance floor
Songs that got everyone grooving – Ek kunwara fir gaya mara and all the dance numbers …

Photography – Tarun Chawla (http://www.facebook.com/tarunphotography?ref=ts) .I had worked with him before and very comfortable with him.I hired him for his unique style and creativity.He is also on board for the wedding Yay!

Have you started your Lehenga hunt ? – Not yet.Will try to grab something in august only. (Girl, you need to get started on this ASAP ! My lehenga took 3 months to make !!!!)

Help Needed!!!

HELP. I need :

1. Makeup Artist – like everyone i am confused
  2. Sagan Outfit/Hair – what kind of sari  and hair-do, I have long straight hair.

If you would like to be a Peaches & blush Real Bride and share your experiences, then do email your photos to peachesandblush@gmail.com

Bhumika August 1, 2012 at 10:45 am

That Pink / purple lehgna is so gorgeous Varuna !! And loved the first pic..u look very pretty here :))

Varuna August 2, 2012 at 12:47 am

Thanks Bumika,so sweet of you…

Pooja@IBC August 1, 2012 at 11:00 am

Lovely lehanga Varuna, love the fresh color and the gota patti work!

Varuna August 2, 2012 at 12:49 am

Thanks pooja !!!

Varuna August 2, 2012 at 12:49 am

I follow your blog as well…. :-)

Riya August 1, 2012 at 11:01 am

Love your outfit. You look gorgeous, though the makeup is tad overdone.

Varuna August 2, 2012 at 12:50 am

Thanks Riya…

Aditi Pednekar August 1, 2012 at 11:04 am

Congratulations Varuna!! You look pretty. :) But please start looking for the Lehenga. I am also getting married in December and have already booked my Lehenga. You might like get the right one soon but why take risk!

mehak August 1, 2012 at 4:06 pm

Zackly! i think you can get lehengas quickly as well, but i like to research n plan everything so ibstarted 5 months in advance

Varuna August 2, 2012 at 12:55 am

Hey Aditi,thanks a lot…Yup,i am definitely goin to follow ur advice…I hope i get the right lehnga soon…Fingers Crossed :-) n did i tell you that I love reading ur blog ….. :-)

@Mehak- gal u have done enuf reasearch for all of us…SO i would follow that only…hehe…

Aditi Pednekar August 2, 2012 at 4:34 pm

Thank you so much Varuna.. :) All the best for the Lehenga hunt! I truly hope you get what you want.

Shalini Singh August 1, 2012 at 11:27 am

Hey Varuna, you look lovely!! And about the yellow base, a tiny bit was needed to be added to match ur skintone…. U looked natural and pretty! As regards the glow, as u told me and I saw myself, ur skin type is combination bordering to oily, also this is very humid weather so it was necessary to give u a fresh look that wud last thru ur evening wihout making ur face look shiny and oily…. Wud be great if u cud email me some pics too:) All the best!! Shalini

Varuna August 1, 2012 at 11:47 pm

Hey Shalini,I remember that i need to send yu pics :-)..I am still waiting for the edited pics,i got 3-4 pics edited only for this post.
Regarding the yellow thing ,it really made me sad after a while,dnt know what went wrong.I understand you did it to match my skin tone,n i remember you telling me “Ï wont make you any fairer than you are ” which i really liked.

I know my skin was not in its best condition and oily then,but somehow i looked pale.Everyone kept saying this,which made me sad and more nervous that day.It could be the humidity which spoiled the base or the skin reaction towards it,really dnt know.
These pics are edited so you wont be able to understand what i am talking about.I’ll send you few unedited pics as well.

Apart from this,lipstick did not vanish,i dint have to touch it up.Smokey purple/gold eyes looked perfect in lights.
n yes thanks for making me wear the tika,it looked pretty :-)
I was lil disappointed but after looking at pics and all these lovely comments here ,i am happy.It was a pleasure working with one of my dream makeup artists :-) and definitely i look forward to work with you again as you already know my skin. :-)

Priya August 1, 2012 at 11:39 am

Hi Varuna, i think your makeup looks super fabulous !!! Honestly, im not kidding- you look fresh and young and very subtle and pretty!!!! :) :) Atleast it photographs really well.
I like Shalinis work a lot actually, i want to book her for my own wedding. But i still have a year to go

Varuna August 2, 2012 at 12:44 am

Thanks Priya…
Yup , Go ahead and book Shalini in advance.I love her work too,so started talking to her with tentative date only.But she was kind enuf to save the date for me.
Final result is combination of makeup and photography,i must say :-)

Tanmayee August 1, 2012 at 11:49 am

you are so so pretty :) ………..loved your hair so much :)

mehak August 1, 2012 at 3:12 pm

Me too! what lovely hair!

Varuna August 2, 2012 at 12:45 am

Thanks Tanmayee and Mehak :-)

Peachesandblush August 1, 2012 at 11:55 am

One thing about that ‘Glow’. You know what, in hyderabad i forced my MUA to put some highlighter or glow on me even thought she said no…and turns out i was wrong. It was July, and in the pictures iv come out looking so OILY!!! even though in person everyone said i looked great, but in pictures its been a train wreck!

Varuna August 2, 2012 at 12:13 am

oh!!!But in your wedding pics(on the blog) i couldnt notice that.. you are looking gorgeous and not at all oily…
But i would say experience matters a lot.
Shalini also suggested me not to apply any highlighters as i had oily skin n tiny pimples then.Also,she suggested not to wear false eyelashes as i have long lashes and nvr used them before.I followed her blindly.

mehak August 2, 2012 at 1:27 pm

Thats cos the wedding it ws matte..but on the engagement , i havent put up the snaps of 3 hours into the engagement and theyr AWEFUL!

Dolon August 1, 2012 at 12:20 pm

Loved your Lehenga Varuna…so vibrant:)… And your makeup looks great. Natural and not too made up..All the best for your D day!

sakhi August 1, 2012 at 12:34 pm

B’ful outfil….all the best for ur future

Deepti August 1, 2012 at 12:53 pm

Varuna you look great. Colors are very fresh and makes you look like a Bride To Be ;) and don’t worry.. I might also get married somewhere in November and I have not even started shopping for anything. I have no idea where and when the wedding will take place. So don’t worry.. all you gurls are in a much better place then me :D

DC August 5, 2012 at 3:22 pm

Just wanted to drop in a line to mention how much I can empathize with you- am getting married too in November, but nothing has been arranged till now including venue or anything else. The only thing I finally know now is that it’s going to be in Delhi (even that has been finalised only after exploring various options for months on end!) So all the best to both of us!

Deepti August 1, 2012 at 12:56 pm

oh ya.. i had a question Varuna for you. Please tell me how much does Tarun charges for covering the events?.. I really like his photography. I have few names in mind and still deciding on who to approach for pics vids etc. Please help!!

Varuna August 2, 2012 at 12:19 am

Hey Deepti… Thanks a lot!!!
Usually the package cost is around 4-5lacks covering all events.
He generally charges 1- 1.5L per day for photography.
But it all depends on many things like peak dates,no of people etc as well.
I think you need to get in touch with tarun,His email id is— justtj@gmail.com

Deepti August 2, 2012 at 11:56 am

Thanks alot Varuna :)

Tarun August 2, 2012 at 9:20 pm

Hi Deepti,

Thanks for appreciating my work :) I charge around 80k per day for my services and I currently do selective weddings {mainly love marriages}! I also provide videos :)

drop me an email if u need details…

Divya K August 1, 2012 at 1:03 pm

Hey! So i got married in May.. so still some fresh memories and advice for you..
1. I didnt do a trial and booked the MUA for engagement and shaadi.. the engagement was a day before the shaadi and the make up was SOOOO bad that my best friend and Mom literally washed it off and re-did it themselves! The morning of the wedding, my friend fixed me up with Lisa (Affinity, VK) .. saved my life!!! i swear by hear. She keeps it subtle and fresh. Plus she is adorable and keeps you calm while you hyperventilate!!! :)
2. While most brides will tell you to decide on your lehenga soon, i think its ok.. unless you want something completely custom made, most of the shops/ designers manage to make the little changes and altertations to their designs in a month. Keep looking though, because you will probably find your dream lehenga where you least expect it! :)

And Mehak.. Most of my girlfriends getting married soon are following your blog on a daily basis.. its not long before they have print outs of your blogs in their “Wedding Files” :) And even though im done with the wedding, its so much fun to come back and read again!

mehak August 1, 2012 at 1:05 pm

Haha !! Good divya thats the idea !!! let it be like the little bridal handbook for brides !!!!
Its amazing how much we go crazy over weddings na????

mehak August 1, 2012 at 1:12 pm

Oh and you looked so pretty in your pics Divya..didnt notice any makeup mishap!!!

Annapurna August 1, 2012 at 9:22 pm

OMG….I was arbitly looking at comments….and then had to pop in as the one who re-did the make up! Div – you should swear by me as well….and Mehak- advertise me!
And Mehak put more of your own shaadi stuff naa….I’m dying to see!:)

mehak August 1, 2012 at 10:47 pm

Lol ! anna yr the makeup saver huh!!!!!
Arre i dont know what else to put now..covered all outfits!!!

Bhumika M August 2, 2012 at 11:44 pm

Damn! I remember you telling me this on ur Saint and I was like “dude you looked so awesome and so calm!” ALSO! I am dying man! these photographers are sucking the life out of me!

Shivangi August 1, 2012 at 1:26 pm

the Gota patti is so pretty!

SweetAndBitter August 1, 2012 at 2:39 pm

i really like it lehenga and the makeup – light, fresh and yet vibrant….waiting for ur marriage pics

upasana August 1, 2012 at 3:24 pm

I recently got engaged and after going through work of lot of makeup artists i zeroed down on 2:
1. Ashmeen Munjal
2. Vidya Tikari

Now 3 of my friends got their make up done from Ashmeen including self
and one from vidya tikari..both were equally good but i decided to go for ashmeen.

if you want to checkout my engagement pics then visit my facebook profile @https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.10151095933447559.481566.702217558&type=3

as i dont know how i can attach pics here ;p

mehak August 1, 2012 at 3:30 pm

why dont you become a p & b real bride then u can share yr pics?

Varuna August 2, 2012 at 12:25 am

thanks for the info Upasana.
But the link is not working :-(
And mehak is right ,y dnt you write a real bride story here …

Jyoti August 1, 2012 at 4:54 pm

Varuna. Loved your lehenga. So cheery n colorful. :) n i actually like ur makeup. u look beautiful and i really cant find any falut any where. <3 best of luck for the wedding. and do share the pics! ;)

mehak August 1, 2012 at 5:15 pm

Yes do share the pics Varunaaaa!!!

Varuna August 2, 2012 at 12:37 am

thanks a lot jyoti!!!Glad you liked lehnga n makeup…
Yup i would definitely share my wedding pics :-)

Gwen @ Makeup Toys August 1, 2012 at 5:08 pm

Really pretty Lengha!!!! Awesome embroidery and colors! :)

Ansh@VNA August 1, 2012 at 6:08 pm

Varuna i cant take my eyes off your hair..so fresh. and i love dat gota work. dull? who said that!

Varuna August 2, 2012 at 12:26 am

Thanks a lot !!!

mehak August 1, 2012 at 7:17 pm

oh by the way as for hair do- since you have straig hair why not go in for something different like soft waves, all pinned up and bought over yr shoulder from one side??? or do a messy side bun! my friend just did it on her roka and she loked amazing!

tannima August 1, 2012 at 9:26 pm

yeah mehak’s idea about soft waves is great would look fab on you…
and I know Tarun does great work… I love his photography….

tannima August 1, 2012 at 9:28 pm

and your lehenga is beautiful.. frontier ras has these hidden treasures …

Varuna August 2, 2012 at 12:32 am

Yup, great ideas…i love wavy hair and messy buns… would definitely try these.But could you please share pic of ur friend’s hairstyle.

thedelhibride August 2, 2012 at 8:49 am

Mehak, do share a pic of the messy bun hairstyle…!

mehak August 2, 2012 at 1:01 pm

Yes will do- she will probably be a real bride n P & B too!

Tarun August 2, 2012 at 9:21 pm

Thanks ^_^

Karishma August 2, 2012 at 1:08 am

Gorgeous lehenga! Hope you have a perfect wedding!

Yumna August 2, 2012 at 1:12 am

I actually really like her matte makeup look. :) Looks well put together, yet, not overdone.

LOVE reading these!

Vanu August 2, 2012 at 9:21 am

Congos Varuna!! I love Tarun’s Photography, the way he captures moments is unbelievable! ur lehenga is beautiful and makeup, jewellery is also pretty and light.

Shruti Dhingra Wahi August 2, 2012 at 11:51 am

Just one word WOW :-)
You look beautiful !!!!

Deepa August 2, 2012 at 2:35 pm

Beautiful.. U look jst beautiful… Normally most of us feel bad abt the makeup during important functions.. But u jst look amazing.. Frm where did u get the jwellery.. All look so good.

Crazy Indian Bride August 2, 2012 at 4:53 pm

Looking really pretty!

Looks like we are all frountier ras girls!

Start looking for your lehenga soon, but I agree with all the girls untill and unless you want a customized piece most good shops can give you the lehenga within a month. Don’t rush into things, understand what you want first :)

In the pictures the makeup looks quite good.

For Sagan try a messy curly bun (since you already have done soft curls in this one) or if you like flowers and hair then why not try a nice french braid type of look with flowers or hair ornaments.

Chris August 2, 2012 at 6:36 pm

Varuna, I think you look beautiful. I work as a MUA and sometimes it is necessary to add a touch of yellow base to foundation to get it to color match the person’s skin. I am not seeing any sallowness at all. Another thing to remember is that when makeup is photographed, it could look completely different on camera.

I rarely use highlighter on brides or regular clients. If I do, it is always a powder highlighter and a finely milled one at that. I will use it at photo shoots where I can powder the model down and control the oiliness. I can understand why Shalini was worried about making you look oily on camera.

Varuna August 2, 2012 at 7:22 pm

Thanks a lot Chris…
Shalini is wonderful as a MUA and i followed her blindly..I got worried later because nobody in the family liked my pale face.Which made me really sad on that important day,as i was already lil nervous.These pics are edited by photographer so they look perfect.
It could be the weather which ruined it…
Thanks for all the information and suggestions u shared,really sweet of u:-)

Aparajita August 2, 2012 at 6:57 pm

Love your lehenga varuna…it soo colorful and pretty…
I love the hair and the jewellery too…they look perfect with the lehenga

aditi August 2, 2012 at 8:30 pm

U lookin pretty girl, and the lehenga is also vry nice..lovely colours

really nice feature..looking forward to more real brides :)

mehak August 2, 2012 at 10:41 pm

Thanks aditi!

Madhu August 3, 2012 at 12:57 am

You look gorgeous!! I’m curious to know where you got your jewellery from?
Also, can someone suggest some good online stores for immitation jewellery.

Varuna August 3, 2012 at 3:20 pm

Thank u so much!!!
Not very sure about the online store,but you get a lot from lajpat nagar,also the few shops in malls like “Karigiri”.

Richa August 3, 2012 at 6:14 am

Hi guys!
Love the blog and especially the new P&B bride addition! Varuna that’s a beautiful lehenga!!
Can you guys help me out please!! I live in the US and will be coming to India to do my wedding shopping in Delhi and Indore (MP) but I only have 10 days to get everything done! :( can you guys please give suggestions about places to go to for outfits, jewelry, wedding favors etc.
Any help would be greatly appreciated!!

mehak August 3, 2012 at 9:43 am
Nez August 29, 2012 at 1:35 am

HI :D I happen to be from MP and I have some hunting advice for you. (I hope you see this before it’s too late). I know how it feels to be an out of India bride- the time crunch is hectic! I had about two weeks too :/
I got most of my trousseau sarees in Indore from a shop called Banaras (Vikram towers I think). That’s also where I got my wedding lehenga from. I did go to Frontier Raas, Delhi and the stuff they had was nice, although pricey, but I really couldn’t find what I was looking for (bridal and beautiful and bling, but not tooooooo much bling.) Maybe it was the time constraint when shopping in delhi.

Other shops in Indore – try Morni and Ithlaati – they have gorgeous designs. But I personally LOVED Banaras. Wayyyy awesome, new designs, and really friendly customer service. (I bought ten sarees from there over a period of 3 days- all absolutely different. That’s how awesome it is). If you happen to need a stitching lady too, I know of one in Vijay Nagar. Hope this helps. :)

Aanchal August 6, 2012 at 1:41 am

The lehenga with its bright, girlish colours, and the amazing gota-patti work looks perfect for the occasion and is a steal for the price you have mentioned, I totally love it! And you look lovely yourself Varuna, what a charming smile! All the best, hope you have a dream wedding in December! :)

Gayatri singh September 3, 2012 at 2:51 am

hey! i love your lehenga..:)) needed some tips though.do you think delhi make up artists travel for an out of station function?? I am getting all scared, dont think i’ll be able to get a decent artist in dehradun!!

mehak September 3, 2012 at 9:17 am

Yes almost all travel to d-dun!

Devna September 16, 2012 at 5:23 pm

Hi Varuna….
Just wanted to tell you that we have a lovely collection on sarees and bridal lehengas with us that we would like to show you…
We are based in delhi…

Hoping for a positive reply….
Atulya Wedding Studio….