P&B Real Brides: Meet the Bindaas Bride Kariba

by mehak on August 28, 2012

in Bridal Blog, Real Brides

What is “P & B Real Brides”?  Real Brides is a feature where we get to know one recent bride or bride to be and pick her brains about all things we love to talk about- outfits, lehengas, makeup artists, love stories.  Admit it, you are a sucker for weddings, and no matter whose getting married you WANT to be involved-!!!! Its also a platform for brides to ask the general audience advice on anything they need help on- from finding a good makeup artist in their area to finding the perfect boutique  for stitching.

Meet Kariba

She belongs to  Ludhiana, Punjab .She had a day wedding in Ludhiana itself and from the photos it seems like a whole lot of fun! Kariba is a simple bride- opting for traditional Indian work rather than the full on swarovski bling-bling ! Read her story below.

Tell us about your Love Story..

It was very much a crazy love marriage and the cupid was one of my best friends Namita, who was also an extremely close friend of Aditya (My hubby). For the longest time, she used to try and speak about him and promote him to me even though he was working in another city for a while, but is from Delhi.

And then came my 25th b’day bash which was thrown at my best friend’s place, and he was visiting from Pune, so but obvious he was also invited. Irony of the situation, “we didn’t even speak to each other the entire night”. This is inspite of him coming very sweetly with a cake for someone who he didn’t even knw…..

And so time passed by, infact almost a year and yet again my friend Namita wanted to act cupid and we all went for dinner somewhere. Post that things happened and Aditya decided to shift back to delhi and while searching for the perfect job, he didn’t take up a job in Mumbai with Red Bull, coz he thought if he did, he wouldn’t have any chance or a future with me.

Finally, he moved back to Delhi and things got off to a good start and we hit it off extremely well and had great fun being with each other, which is what attracted me to him the most, since he has a spectacular sense of humour. I am from a Sikh family and he is from a Punjabi family, so there weren’t any such differences of culture at all. Infact his parents were just too good and extremely ‘bindaas’ and let everything happen the way the girl side wanted it.

What was your most fun function?

The most fun function was my Mehendi as i was on a happy high and dancing the most as if it were my best friends wedding and not mine. But of course my father kept telling me that i should be more lady like, and that it is not someone else’s wedding but because i had all the people closest to my heart around, and no formality with the boys side not being around, it was absolutely terrific.

Tell us about your Bridal Outfits Please…

Since I was a little girl, I had only 2 wishes which i wanted my father to fulfil related to my wedding. One was that i wanted my pheras to happen in our garden at home, and 2nd was that my wedding lehenga was going to be from Jaipur.

My lehenga was from this Store called “Rana Legacy” in Jaipur, not the Ranas in Johari Bazaar. Since you’ve already read my little write-up about me being such a tomboy all my life, i must tell you that i am not a typical girl who likes to shop or spend hours in shops…naaahhh….!!!

Without exaggeration i picked out my lehenga in exactly 20 minutes. I already knew the colour combination I wanted, the traditional Jaipur work (gotapatti), so when i saw it…bang! i just put my hand on it, froze it and went on with eating my yummy Jaipur ki kachoris and Lassi ordered for us at the store!!!!!

Again my Lehenga for the typical wedding lehenga standards was pretty reasonable but sooo absolutely stunning for its price. It was between 50 – 60k

The Mehendi Outfit: Yellow and Pink with Fulkari Accents

The Wedding Outfit: Simple Gotta Patti Work Lehenga

Makeup Artist..

Again, you might laugh when you read this….but i didn’t hire any make-up artist..I anyway am a no make-up person, so for my Mehendi, Sangeet, Shagan i had no make-up artist. My lovely girl friends did my make-up throughout… Only for the Big Day (wedding day) i had my make-up done from Lakme, in Ludhiana. Harjinder or Latto did a spectacular job (Btw, if you are from ludhiana i HIGHLY recommend her. I was trying to get her to hyderabad fr my own wedding- Editor)It was a morning 11:30 Anandkaraj, since i am a Sikh and so the make-up was extremely subtle, yet accentuating my eyes and making me look like a non-caked up, natural bride.

Those Photos have captured so much of your enthusiasm? Which photographer did you hire?

Photographer was Sahil Vohra  from Delhi- a candid photographer who captured all special moments of the wedding and ensured that the  immense fun we all had was reflected in the pictures !!! (Editors Note: Another photographer for all you brides to ponder over girls- those of you who find the big names unaffordable)

Priyamvada August 28, 2012 at 10:08 am

Hi Kariba,
How much did Sahil Charge?? I am desperate for a good photographer but all the so called candid ones are too expensive.

Sahil Vohra August 29, 2012 at 7:28 pm

Hey Priyamvada,

Feel free to call me at 9650114441 so we can have a quick chat?

Gunjan August 28, 2012 at 10:14 am

Hey Kariba! Nice pics. I looved your nose ring!!! Even I picked my wedding lehenga in 1 hour flat, from Ushnaq Mal in South Ex I, Delhi. :D

mehak August 28, 2012 at 10:35 am

I loved the nosering too kariba..i always thought that those thin, unobtrusive ones are the way to go, but yours has got me thinking about it again.

Gunjan August 28, 2012 at 10:43 am

yeah, I knw! Yesterday only my mom and I were discussing about the nose ring thing, and I was like WHY do I have to wear one??!!! But now, after seeing yours, I know what I have to look for when I go to buy it. :P

Maansi August 28, 2012 at 12:11 pm

Nose rings freak me out in general but yours is definitely gorgeous, Kariba !

Pinkalicious August 29, 2012 at 12:05 am

Its been on my mind and gauging from popular sentiment, i have to request- Mehak pl enlighten us more on the nose ring – i tried some in BGs but its sooo uncomfy, barely stays put n worse still makes my nose asymmetrical!! m i doing something wrong or m i a freak of nature… How exactly does one survive their wedding day with it!

mehak August 30, 2012 at 10:19 am

haha ok lemme do a writeup on how to handle a nose ring

Riya August 28, 2012 at 10:23 am

Kariba, you look so real and gorgeous! Love your mehendi pics. It seems it is my own wedding being written about. Same story, similar rajasthani lehenga at wedding, more so coz my in-laws are from Rajasthan, Lakme makeup, wow. May god bless you for a very happy, long and wonderful married life!

Pooja@IBC August 28, 2012 at 10:34 am

Lovely pics, I so loved the floral paranda in you hair in the mehendi pics!

Bhumika M August 28, 2012 at 10:38 am

ARE THOSE PINK CHOODAS?!?! Oh my god! I just picked mine out on Sunday and took all the restraint in the world to not go in for the Pink one’s (Lehenga being red :( ) !! Awesomeness! Such a fun story! Good wishes for your life ahead! Hugs!

IsmiDiva August 29, 2012 at 2:50 am

hahaha I saw the Choodas and I was like WHAT!?!? they look awesome, very different from what reg. brides wear!!

Kejal August 28, 2012 at 10:58 am

All d best!! Ur pics have come out very natural and look fun!!

Devikaa August 28, 2012 at 12:05 pm

Wow! This is the best bridal post I have read here. Love your wedding lehenga.

Crazy Indian Bride August 28, 2012 at 12:18 pm

ooh your Mehendi looks so super fun!!!

really like your floral jewelry and hair, so pretty and totally apt for Mehendi!

Love that wink wali pic! so cute!

If you dont mind telling us how much did the photographer charge??
Have a basic traditional wala photographer but thinking of adding a candid one as well, they are more fun!

Crazy Indian Bride August 28, 2012 at 12:20 pm

ur totally looking like Kajol in that wink pictures

(sorry couldnt help posting this)

Sahil Vohra August 28, 2012 at 12:21 pm

Thank you for your compliments on Kariba’s picture. You could write to me at the address above, or call me at 9650114441 and I’ll be happy to answer your questions :)

Shivani August 28, 2012 at 1:12 pm

I luved the lehenga and the nore ring! traditional and pretty! u look adorable!

Neha August 28, 2012 at 1:19 pm

Wow Congrats Kariba.. U look lovely n ur nose ring, now i am thinking of wearing one.. :)

Akanksha August 28, 2012 at 1:45 pm

I attended this wedding!! Tiny(Kariba to you guys) is a very good family friend and also our next door neighbor in Ludhiana..I had a blast at her wedding and she looked like a princess at all her functions..The anandkaraj in the morning at their home was the best part..Loved it :) :)

Kariba Kohli August 28, 2012 at 2:02 pm

Hiiiii Girrrls,

Thanks a bunch for showering such generous compliments on the photos, they’re alll just toooo sweet for words…
But this is all Sahil’s fabulous photography, that has resulted in such a spectacular outcome…Its all about the photography and the exact moments that he has managed to capture soo beautifully and tactfully. You all can get in touch with him as mentioned above on his email & phone, and am sure he will be delighted to capture all you pretty ladies on your Big Day….
Also, my spectacular Mehendi outfit is made by Really Close Frd Taniya O’Connor so please go to her for her edgy, funky yet traditional mix of designs……She’ll make you feel most fun & vibrant in any of your outfits!!!

Crazy Indian Bride August 28, 2012 at 3:15 pm

hey where is Taniya located?? any contact info that you can pass??

Bhumika M August 28, 2012 at 4:15 pm

Yes please! Pass on Taniya’s contact details pls?

Taniya August 28, 2012 at 5:54 pm

9811353977 New Delhi

garima August 28, 2012 at 9:16 pm

Taniya do you have any blog??

Taniya August 28, 2012 at 10:18 pm

No I don’t have one yet. Will have a page up soon.

Bhumika M August 28, 2012 at 10:24 pm

@Taniya-where can we meet you?

Marathi Weddings August 28, 2012 at 3:23 pm

I like your “Bindas” attitude!! So much to learn from you – Like not making fuss about small things & most importantly just being you!!

SweetAndBitter August 28, 2012 at 4:14 pm

loved loved loved it!!!

the Best Real Bride crown goes to you – simple, edgy, completely you, fun…….Perrrrrfect!!! Loved everything and specially the pheras in garden is just CUTE

happygoluckygal August 28, 2012 at 7:16 pm

WOW..a greta post with fun filled photos:):)

Vanu August 28, 2012 at 9:30 pm

u knw wat? im punjabi gal going into Sikh family! im also thinking Destination Jaipur for wedding Lehenga! Kariba n I, share same Clan in our caste! i loved ur choora. and took notes from ur write-up.

u luk stunning kariba! All d very best for ur lyf ahead

The Great Arranged Bride August 28, 2012 at 9:35 pm

Such a sweet story.

The whole event looks so fun!

Ansh@VNA August 28, 2012 at 10:37 pm

this has to be my fav bride of all. she totally looks bindaas!

IsmiDiva August 28, 2012 at 10:57 pm

aww you look so pretty!!! I love the mehendi lehenga, perfect combo!!! God Bless

SuperSummmer August 29, 2012 at 2:08 am

Love the bridal outfit, it’s gorgeous!! But my fav is your nath!! I love the real bride features

Dolon August 29, 2012 at 2:00 pm

Lovely pictures Kariba..you were one beautiful bride :)

Tanmayee August 29, 2012 at 3:58 pm

You look lovely and very cool …….

Gwen @ Makeup Toys August 30, 2012 at 6:05 pm

You look lovely here! With or without a makeup artist!

Jane August 30, 2012 at 10:08 pm

Great pics! Bride looks very pretty!

Mehak – Whats the diff between Punabi and sikh ? I thought all Punjabi’s were sikh by default..Is there a difference ? If so what religion do punjabi’s belong too ? Sorry if I sound ignorant, but I love learning about different cultures and religions and the subtle nuances within India!

mehak August 30, 2012 at 11:00 pm

Hi Jane..Nope. Punjabis is a region thing- you are from Punjab, thats where your ancestors were born..so im punjabi ..but im a hindu punjabi. Sikh is a religion- you wear turbans and believe in Guru Nanak Jee.

mehak August 30, 2012 at 11:02 pm

So all Sikhs are punjabi because all the sikh ancestors are from punjab..but not all punjabis are sikhs…
i dont know if i confused you further ;p

Jane August 30, 2012 at 11:50 pm

Nope , that was good. I didn’t know hindu punjabis existed..I assumed all punjabi’s were sikhs :) My bad! But good to know :)

Vaishnavi August 31, 2012 at 12:12 pm

She sounds like so much fun!!!

Saru February 1, 2014 at 2:31 am

I am going to get married in Ludhiana next month. I wanted some suggestion for MUA in Ludhiana.
Lattoo has gone out of India. Can anyone suggest some good MUA for bridal makeup ?