Decor Diaries: Fun, Quirky Items For Some Humour in Your Life!

by mehak on September 18, 2012

in Uncategorized

Sometimes you get so caught up in making sure your house looks pretty you kind of forget that at the end of the day, this is a place where two young twenty five year olds are just having fun!!! We dont want to make it all ‘propah’ and boring, because we have the rest of our lives to make it that. So the house usually has some fun, quirky knick knacks to make sure there is a little bit of humour everywhere we go!

For example, when you enter my house this is the first thing you will see(right after an extremely ugly entrance way which i am re-doing a the moment)

Yes, a doormat which warns the guests that there is a crazy hyper decorating lady inside this home! BEWAREE!!! Haha, i thought it was so fun, I didn’t even mind that it poked fun directly at me. No matter who enters the house , this is an immediate ice breaker..

When we were ;looking for key holders, there were a ton of really pretty , carved ones i saw. Then i chucked all those pretty ones and got this little block of green wood that says “Dil Ki Chaabi” and looks exactly like the back of a truck!!!  I love it !!! I love how funky and bright it is and how a simple thing like a key holder can make a statement! It even has that Horn Ok Please written on it!

Then we have a yummy, gooey chocolate slab thats always on top of fridge to feed our hunger pangs..

Oh wait.. thats not a chocolate slab- thats a diary!!

Haha. The diary is used for a rather unglamorous purpose of jotting down how many clothes have been given to the ironing lady, but that annoying little chore becomes a little less annoying with a chocolate diary in your life! Plus whenever my brother visits me he is like- ooh chocolatee  and then the look on his face when he discovers its a diary is just priceless. *Evil*

What is this you ask? This thing below is a rather genius invention for parties. You see this my friends is an ice tray. The ice gets formed in the shape of guitars with the plastic things attached to it like the guitar handle (is that what you call it?). The absolute genius thing about this is that its a stirrer and ice cube in one- you just drop the guitar into your drink and the handle becomes the stirrer while the guitar body is the ice which cools your drink!!!! Bring this out at a party, and people think you are a domestic diva or something :p

There are a ton of other things here and there with a little bit of quirk – but lets leave something for later shall we?

The doormat and the key holder were purchased from , and the rest of the stuff is all online shopping from those daily sales kind of websites!

komal September 18, 2012 at 10:26 am

The doormat is super funny !! paaaleez tell me which other sites you got these fun things from :)

Nafisa September 18, 2012 at 11:16 am

Ohmagawd! Loved everything….seriously! The doormat…rotfl! :-D The key holdr is uber funky n cool. At 1st, i thought the choc slab was a fridge magnet. But a diary?? That’s so unique! N i soooo want that ice tray!!

Sukanya September 18, 2012 at 11:25 am

that’s totally awesome ! the diary is really unique… :D

Nisha September 18, 2012 at 11:49 am

Hi Mehak, I am silent follower of your blog. Where do you manage to get all these funny things from? I also want these since my house which is under construction will be ready by december. I am eagerly waiting for the pictures of your home, living room, kitchen, bedroom and even bathroom!

mehak September 18, 2012 at 1:01 pm

Hi Nisha check out they have a ton of funny stuff ! yr lucky yr own house is being built. Ours is rented- so cant do half things i wanted to!

mehak September 18, 2012 at 1:01 pm

Living room picture is already up! it was in the last decore diary

Nisha September 18, 2012 at 3:18 pm

Yes Mehak, I saw that and I loved your sofa! I wanted to buy a similar one but my in-laws are insisting on buying wooden furniture for their long lasting property! I wanted a fancy one but what to do, it’s their say everywhere, especially in something so important! Luckily not living with us!

snm September 18, 2012 at 3:23 pm

Hon, your house should be done up your way…. tell them and be clear unless ofcourse they are paying for it all then…

Nisha September 25, 2012 at 8:23 am

Hi snm, I have already told my husband this. But I don’t trust him in this. If his brother says something, he will be convinced so soon. According to my brother-in-law the wooden sofa only will last for decades! I want to change my furniture after few years but let me see what my husband thinks :-(

Ishita Ray September 18, 2012 at 12:00 pm

I loved everything.. U have got such a gr8 sense of humour Mahek and love that u incorporate it in ur daily life too

thedelhibride September 18, 2012 at 12:00 pm

You know what I did immediately after reading this post? I went to to pick out quirky items for my new room post wedding!

varshini September 18, 2012 at 12:20 pm

I am sooo loving everything… the chocolate dairy is yummy :)

Crazy Indian Bride September 18, 2012 at 12:28 pm

love that ice tray and the chocolate diary! where did you get it from??

thedelhibride September 18, 2012 at 12:42 pm

Btw Mehak, my cousin sister blogs about home decor at – thought I should share the link with you to help out with decor ideas!

Dolon September 18, 2012 at 1:03 pm

That chocolate diary is awesome!

Harman September 18, 2012 at 1:05 pm

I loved all of them. The chocolate diary look so real! Lovely Mehak!

Kejal September 18, 2012 at 1:09 pm

Everythings cute and quirky! I was at an exhibitition last week and there was a stall with such quirky and techno-quirky gadets and all! I found it really hard to leave the stall..I just wanted to sit there and play with all the gadgets :D

Amrita September 18, 2012 at 1:17 pm

i LOVED everything !!! :) specially the key holder.. it’s awwwsm :P and the ice tray.. again awwwsm !!!
and the diary and the doormat are super cute too !!
i loved the previous post too in decor diaries.. i loved the purple and grey combi and liked the sofa set too :) (though i didn’t comment there !! :P i actually follow your blog regularly but hardly comment)
and i’m loving the decor diaries !! can’t wait for the next post.. please do upload them soon !!! :) :)

i would check out the website that you mentioned !! please do mention the other websites also if you remember :) thanks !! :)

Meenu September 18, 2012 at 2:01 pm

That guitar ice tray is amazing…. loved it the most

gargi September 18, 2012 at 2:19 pm

you have some really cool stuff!
I forgot to tell you in the last decor post as I thought it might not be your style, but there is a you-tube beauty guru who has amazing D.I.Y quirky ideas of home decor.
You should really check her out.
Her handle is Mr.Kate on youtube

mehak September 18, 2012 at 6:23 pm

ooh thanks will check!

Rima September 18, 2012 at 2:33 pm

i looovvveed the chocolate slab …aha diary!!i mean it looked so tempting in the 1st pic…yum yum..hehe.very nice and funny stuffs!!

Preetha September 18, 2012 at 2:38 pm

loved the doormat..hahaha

divya September 18, 2012 at 2:41 pm

I feel completely in your shoes right now,,,,, I am also doing up my new place.. although I am bit slower.. damn bangalore you get nothing here :(
Thoroughly enjoying your Decor series :)

Nidhi Pandey September 18, 2012 at 3:14 pm

I really liked the doormat! :) Infact all the stuff is very nice!..Seems u r really enjoying doing up the house

StrawberryPulp September 18, 2012 at 3:39 pm

Hee hee.. Loved It all

SweetAndBitter September 18, 2012 at 4:08 pm

I love Happily Unmarried – its a very nice place. I have got a lot of things from them.

Bhumika September 18, 2012 at 4:20 pm

woaaa….super cute stuff..Dil Ki Chaabi is awesome.. :D and the door mat :p

swastika September 18, 2012 at 4:22 pm

i love the doormat and now contemplating if i should get the same one!

Aanchal September 18, 2012 at 5:01 pm

WOW! This house must be so……much fun to live in! Kudos to you Mehak, you do things really tastefully, while keeping your tongue-in-cheek humour intact! This post made for a very ‘feel-good’ reading! Keep updating us on new additions! :)

Prerna September 18, 2012 at 5:29 pm

My God, all things are so unique, door mat is so funny yet nice & that diary is so pretty, even I want to fool my little bro with this..thanx Mehak for telling about the site & yes I actually love reading all this what all you share after your marriage…Many congratulations for the same

Pooja@IBC September 18, 2012 at 5:57 pm

I love the ice trays! They are super awesome perfect for
Wanna be Air Guitarists! Me want!! Which site did you pick
It up from?

mehak September 18, 2012 at 6:21 pm

think there was some flash sale on fashionandyou!

Kejal September 20, 2012 at 3:56 pm

u’ll get these things at :D

Ash September 18, 2012 at 6:06 pm

Ooh i like the ice stirrer thing! Awesome for parties when I want to show my non existent kitchen talents :P

mehak September 18, 2012 at 6:22 pm

Hah exactly!

Maliha September 18, 2012 at 6:57 pm

Oh my god You totally fooled me with the chocolate diary. As soon as I saw it I was like “Yummyy” and then I scrolled down and discovered that well it wasn’t exactly chocolate.
I have been loving your Decor Diaries! Keep them coming!

Kritika September 18, 2012 at 9:54 pm

Haha! Its must be so awesome to decorate your own house! And I completely love Happily Unmarried !!

Supriya Koul September 19, 2012 at 1:19 am

I have almost similar key holder at my place :) Also got it from Delhi , happilyunmarried guys..they had a small stall in the selectcity mall in saket…

Love the diary.

anjali September 19, 2012 at 2:01 am

i loveddd this :)

seraphicgirl September 19, 2012 at 3:19 am

Interesting items i must say!

I saw the chocolate diary on one of the online stores and I was like-I’m not buying that esp with my whole weight loss saga going one ;)

Also, i think you can use the guitar ice trays as popsicles?

Jazz September 19, 2012 at 4:32 am

I loved the key holder and the ice tray.

thevowsandbeyond September 19, 2012 at 5:08 am

That key holder had me smiling!!! Very very ingenious!! Love the chocolate diary too – but if I had that around, it would probably MAKE me hunt down some real chocolate :)

giggle girlie September 19, 2012 at 9:01 am

love it!especially the dil ki chaabi board..from where did u get it??

Jyoti September 19, 2012 at 12:10 pm

Wow! the guitar ice thing is so cool! Whr did you get it from!!! And that chocolate diary. lolz.WOuld love to keep it at my house to fool my visitors. :D
BTW i just chked the site u mentioned and they do have amazing stuff.Thanks for the link. :)

Vaishnavi September 19, 2012 at 10:42 pm

wooha. awesome stuff! where did you get the guitar ice tray?? wud love to pick up one!!

Ashmita September 23, 2012 at 11:09 pm

hey this is fun… i literally loved all the decor u have added up here… i am actually planning to gift my mom something very unusual for her b’day…. it would be great if you just let me know the websites for online shopping for home decors… i have tried the happily unmarried website and it is fun… would want to know more such web pages!…

Fathima Abdul Kader May 18, 2013 at 1:37 pm

all that is so awesome..I am a firm believer that a house should have character and the feeling of being lived in..and a little piece of the people who lives there..and these little things truly reflect that..

You have wonderful taste Mehak! :)