Do You Buy Makeup Products That Celebrities Say They Use?

by mehak on September 20, 2012

in Beauty Banter, Features

Mostly no it doesnt affect my purchase, sometimes if something interesting is mentioned though it definitely piques my curiosity enough to check it out.   My sister is very into the whole “Oooohh Deepika Padukone uses xyz lipstick”, i want it too! What about you? Does a celebrities quoted favourite makeup product want to make you run out and get it!

Shikha September 20, 2012 at 9:16 am

Dressing style I would like to follow however NOT makeup. Now when Aishwarya Rai advertise for L’oreal doesn’t means that I will change by shampoo/conditioner for her. :-) (I dnt think even she use that)

Frances September 20, 2012 at 9:56 am

I always assume they’re either lying about it (because why would you want to let your competition know what makes you look so good?); or that the magazines are making it up!

I admit to being very influenced by makeup artists’ recommendations, as well as those of my fave bloggers. It just seems more genuine, somehow.

Two pet hates:

When celebrities shill for a really budget product (Beyonce for L’Oreal Feria? AS. IF. You wash it in the blood of virgins, and we all know it.)

When magazines are all “Get our cover look!” using products exclusively from Brand XYZ. Seriously, dudes, I was born in the morning but it wasn’t yesterday morning.

mehak September 20, 2012 at 12:26 pm

Haha i knowww! Like In India kareena kapoor using lakme! Theres no way theres a foundation that costs less than 9$ in her bag!!

azra September 20, 2012 at 9:58 am

because of curosity i love knowing which celeb is using what product in whch particular shade…bt jst as part of bollywood gossip ;) i do understand dt what luks gud on dm mite wash me out :)) n vice versa :)

mehak September 20, 2012 at 1:51 pm

Ya im curious like that too !:p

Vaishnavi September 20, 2012 at 10:14 am

Wooohoo!! I think they are mostly lying, so I don’t bother with them!! I mean, imagine, Lakme kohl staying on for hours, hours on Kareena…I don’t think thats the case…more like a gel kohl from Bobbi Brown or something else!!

Kejal September 20, 2012 at 10:49 am

Nope! I dont think they use those products in real

kavita September 20, 2012 at 11:46 am

i never use the celebrity recommended products can au believ kajol & madhuri actually using Olay cream i don’t think so and also kareena kapoor using head & shoulders shampoo…no

Sweet&Bitter September 20, 2012 at 1:28 pm

Kareena using H&S is the biggest lie of all!!!!! Thanks for pointing it out.
Shilpa Shetty using Pantene and forcing her sister to use it and brush her hair 100 times!!!
Kareena using Lakme lipstick – the ad with all the ballons etc – which shade do u think she is wearing on her lips? I could not find anything similar finish and color

anupama September 20, 2012 at 1:13 pm

No.. no way.. they might not even bother to touch the bottle of the budget brand. But Dia Mirza might try a few products of body shop.. again maybe a few. but no ways kareena will use Lakme, kajol , karishma would have never used Olay.. They are all just fooling us.. But anyways good models are required t spread awareness abt a product.

chunchun September 20, 2012 at 2:19 pm

I am forever curious about their makeup but it is limited to a – nice lazy magazine reading session. I have never bought anything which they say they use..

StrawberryPulp September 20, 2012 at 2:21 pm

No way… I would never use a makeup product recommended by a celebrity while most likely she is under a contractual obligation not to recommend anything else.
Sometimes in some mags like Vogue, Bazaar, etc, some supermodels who haven’t got a personal care product tie-up with any company (since companies normally tie up with bollywood celebs) would suggest that they use a few products that they like- I have no reason to disbelieve them..but I do think they do not disclose the real mccoys in their makeup kits, to the world at large.

Strawberry Pulp recently posted wedding planning update 2

Sweet&Bitter September 20, 2012 at 8:31 pm

but then at times the magazines also lie because they might be paid by the brands. otherwise why only the new products are said to be favorites or displayed around the pages when discussing about a beauty woe?

Dolon September 20, 2012 at 3:02 pm

I might give it a try if the celeb has the same skin tone that I have specially for lipsticks

ramya September 20, 2012 at 3:37 pm

i follow the trend in clothes from celebrities.

Rima September 20, 2012 at 4:26 pm

naa,not interested in the ones that the celebrities say ,instead the ones that the makeup artists say.However i love to see celebrity makeup breakdowns in the blogs especially and note the lip colour guesses that are done.

coralcrue September 20, 2012 at 6:31 pm

I use makeup products recommended by fellow beauty bloggers. I trust that more than celebrity trends although I do peek in to finding out what they could be wearing but most of the time the truth is never revealed.

komal September 20, 2012 at 6:36 pm

Its quite opposite ! I trust beauty bloggers . When celebrities say they use something my brain goes “liar” :P

DrSukanya@FewUnnecessaryStuff September 20, 2012 at 7:39 pm

Nopes… I agree with Komal..the promotions by celebrities sound fake to me….however i may get curios about a particular shade of lippi/blush /neckpiece… n long for that!

Chris September 20, 2012 at 10:11 pm

When I was younger, I would pay attention to darker skinned celebs’ makeup, because their coloring was closer to mine. I did buy Eva Longoria’s Caramel lipstick (and I wound up liking the color). Now that I am a seasoned makeup pro and older, I know it’s all about advertising. So I don’t really buy whatever Aishwarya is wearing in her L’oreal ad. You can always tell who is peddling what because they are getting paid. Like Keira Knightley says she loves Chanel eyeliner..but she works for Chanel.

The website I trust is There the artists list the products they use, and they are not loyal to one brand. They actually say they use Mehron, Krylon and other brands that are not mainstream brands.

Ansh@VNA September 21, 2012 at 1:01 am

haha i remember your sis’s inglot orange lipstick disaster!
Me not much interested in celebrities.

Nidhi September 22, 2012 at 4:04 pm

I too support those people who believe that celebs don’t necessarily use whatever they recommend or endorse..and esp makeup shud be the one which suits me and my skin tone.. :)

ife September 23, 2012 at 7:10 pm

they just have to come to the studio and put on makeup and shoot… and photoshop does the rest.. they dont use any of these stuff…

Zee Bee September 23, 2012 at 7:39 pm

Do any of them ever mention actual brand names ever ?? They only say idiotic stuff like drink litres and litres of water ! Or how sleep and positive attitudes prevent their wrinkle lines ? That’s about all i have ever read or heard from them!