My Decor Diaries: 2 Months After the Big Move In

by mehak on September 13, 2012

in Uncategorized

When we returned from our Honeymoon in Europe, we entered our cute little 2 bhk flat that looked like this:

Hmm. Not exactly a romantic abode to walk into! See, the boy had only just moved to delhi before our wedding and he had been living in this house for just about 10 days before we left to get married so we literally had to set everything up from scratch when we returned, managing work and decor side by side. (It was like work during weekdays, decor during weekends) We are still in the process of doing it , or rather im still in the process (The male brain thinks that a house just needs a sofa, bed and table) , but here is a little update on what has been done after 2 months. Here is what it looks like today:

Most of the walls are still empty, and there are those little corners that i have a ton of ideas to experiment with and hence the Decor Diaries, i thought some of you may want to know where i purchased everything from. As usual, everything is quite ‘budget’ and not lavish!

Here is where i bought some of the stuff from

• Sofa Set: Rs 35000/- from Home Town in Ambience Mall Gurgaon/ TGIP Noida (I honestly just bought them because it was the cheapest thing in the store that i thought i could work with. I like spending on accessories and not so much on the big things i guess. The downside of this sofa set- it emanates heat like a pressure cooker!!!!! I think its the fabric, so im going to get some nice throws for this! Hey atleast it will be warm in the winter time no?)
    • Center Table: Rs 5000/- from Amar Colony Furniture Market: I dont know if you guys are into vintage colonial furniture but if you are then Amar Colony Furniture Market is a must visit . It has tons of quaint pieces with tiles, mirror work and carved stuff that you get for VERY cheap. You find the same things in Khan Market designer stores for 10 times the amount!
    • Two CornerPof different heights: Rs 3200/- combined from Lifestyle Home. These were actually telephone stands but i just used them as display stands. The lower one has two porcelain cats (we named them DC and DDC…because when i asked the boy what he wanted to name them he very oversmartly   said “Dont care”and “Definitely Dont Care”. HA LOL…so i just named them that. Though now that i think of it, Poor Cats !!!)
    • Mirror: I drove the boy MAD with this mirror because carved mirrors were coming in my dreams. Ours is from a shop on MG road and it was very cheap – Rs 4500/- or so ! Since i literally made him spend an entire day searching for mirrors, he forces anyone who enters the house to talk about the mirror so he can explain the torture he went through.. *rolls eyes*
    • The Accessories: The cushions are from two shops in Mega Mall DLF, one is called Area and one is called Home.The two goblets on the centre table are from Good Earth in Select City Walk Saket. The purple vase with pastel colored flowers are from a shop called Pure in DLF Ambience (i LOVE this store). Also the purple rg is from Lifestyle Home too!!! That costed another 4K
  • TOTAL AMOUNT SPENT: Approx 56K ( I thought that it QUITE a low amount for the stuff we got no?)
    Please ignore the random silver trash bag on the left- its a project im working on. Shh. Top Secret.

Things left to be bought/ Ideas for the living room

• See that corner in the right, i want hanging lamps there. Like those morrocan lamps- silver and turquoise or silver and deep purple with little fairy lights inside. I saw some at Good Earth but they were too expensive so i let them go. Now they haunt me in my dreams so im going to hunt down a cheaper alternative. I also thought i would get a high console there but thats kind of boring. What i also considered was this gorgeous ornate Easel i saw- yes easel! It was all carbed with rose tiling and instead of a painting on it i thought id frame my marriage photo and put that on the easel. Would be quirky and fun no?
  • Paintings that i shall paint: yes i paint, or rather i used to when i had time to breathe. The right wall needs a painting
  • Another purple item- maybe purple cushions for the right sofas to tie in the purple of the vase and the rug.

More detailed photos with close ups of interesting items shall be coming in soon, let me know what you want to see in the decor diaries ?? I have my dining area still left to do , my bedroom is totally bland but little nooks and corners are being filled in as i speak type.

FashionPhD September 13, 2012 at 11:56 pm

i quite like the sofa set dude. You can really play with the cushions and throws and keep changing the look rather than being stuck with a bulky sofa set which will be the same way for years
good job woman. the purple and charcoal are great together

mehak September 13, 2012 at 11:58 pm

Thank ooo..yup i liked it too, it looks good not very functional though! Boy thinks im making our house into a circus with too many colors . Whatever.

FashionPhD September 14, 2012 at 12:19 am

Gah! Can never have enough colour :D

Magali September 14, 2012 at 12:01 am

I love the charcoal sofa set. The place looks great!

mehak September 14, 2012 at 9:44 am

Thanks Magali!

Giggle girlie September 14, 2012 at 12:10 am

Love your couch!and I am totally into vintage furniture so love that centre table too!and believe me whatever torcher you guys went through to get that mirror is worth it…it steals the show!!:)

mehak September 14, 2012 at 9:45 am

Hehe thanks ya i love the mirror it just brings a focal point to the room

Rosie September 14, 2012 at 12:10 am

I love the color combo!
You know if you want painting for your walls, instead of busting a lot of money, you can contact me.
I do custom ones and my making charges start form 4k only. :) since i am a copy artist, i can make anything you please. :)

love Rosie
id- roza.dewan@gmail.com

mehak September 14, 2012 at 9:41 am

Oh thanks rosie will defiitely do that!

seraphicgirl September 14, 2012 at 12:14 am

I absolutely adore the way you have managed to play with the colors, while keeping it modern (, a lil uptight) and glamorous.

The furniture while being minimalistic adds to the charm. I used to paint and still do (just not so often anymore) and i really understand the craze behind having a painting on the wall. I still dont quite understand why people would put anyone else’s art in their space.

anyhow, im waiting for your updates your interiors!
GOOD LUCK and WELL DONE!!!

mehak September 14, 2012 at 1:37 pm

thnk you!

Sukanya September 14, 2012 at 12:15 am

i recently checked out hometown they were running discounts and have some pretty stuffs !!!.. have started planning my wedding ; which is like a year after, but the engagement is in 6mnths ! and also have a 2bhk to plan, a cousin’s wedding … the sad part , have shifted to a remote hospital , which allows me at my pleading best a 5 day/mnth leave… to travel a 500km to Kolkata..n do some market scanning…!!!

Pinkalicious September 14, 2012 at 12:23 am

OMG I got the same sofa set in beige from Home town and yes it was a steal! Love the mirror Very nice color scheme <3

Gunjan September 14, 2012 at 12:30 am

WOW!!!!! I feel like giving you a big tight hug!!!! Developing a personal touch of this extent is what sets your blog a class apart from many blogs which i read. You ACTUALLY oblige to all the requests! And, now you are a painter too???!!!! Gosh! All your efforts are commendable! You are totally motivating me to enter the blogging world as well!

StrawberryPulp September 14, 2012 at 12:37 am

Wow that’s a lot of work done! And your Mr.Boy must be loving it that the colors are nice and neutral.. My fiancé shudders at the thought that I will turn our home into a girly haven.. but seeing this urges me to temper my instincts with a more mature edge and keep the concept clean.

StrawberryPulp recently posted wedding planning update 1

mehak September 14, 2012 at 9:36 am

Oh believe me i fell in love with a floral print sofa..hot pink and mint green..it was stunning and in budget but i kind of refrained because i knew he was never going to be seen around it!

Vaishnavi September 14, 2012 at 12:03 pm

O wise one!!

Maansi September 14, 2012 at 12:43 am

I like your vase and the mirror but DC and DDC? Lol….he definitely has a sense of humour

mehak September 14, 2012 at 9:41 am

Hes cwaazzyyyy

IsmiDiva September 14, 2012 at 12:47 am

love the space and the theme of colors (I love purple) but I wish your pillows were either dark purple or dark green and contrast them with grey/white pillows… it would instantly brighten your living area! But I think overall, you did an amazing job organizing and designing your living area! good job mehak :)

mehak September 14, 2012 at 9:47 am

Ooh thanks i shall test out deep green cushions as well!!!

Pooja@IBC September 14, 2012 at 12:58 am

Awesome work Girl! You’ve totally transformed the place!! I A.D.OR.E. the Mirror its looks soooo stylish! I have been planning to go to Amar colony mkt for like 5 yrs! Yeah no kidding! 5 yrs and the El Hub hates cramped crowded markets, so no flea market hunting for me :/
Btw for the Morroccan lamps give a dekkho to Dilli haat and Janpath both places have some lovely hanging Morroccan lamps in vivid shades and at great prices,you’d love them :)

mehak September 14, 2012 at 9:36 am

Hahah!
Pooja you know what, Amar colony is no longer a mcrowded market.I mean the furniture shops are just 3-4 thats it..so you dont need to really look too much..theyr all in one line its quite painless

sunaa September 14, 2012 at 1:22 am

loving the color scheme esp d pop of purple !!! loving this post & looking fwd fr mor …=)

Maitri September 14, 2012 at 2:57 am

The mirror’s gorgeous :)

Jazz September 14, 2012 at 4:26 am

I loved the sofa set and the mirror and you are right, there is lots you can experiment with the interiors. Looking forward to it. Happy decoring. :-)

Jazz September 14, 2012 at 4:29 am

And mehak, I think this blog has some great ideas for interior decors.

shivani September 14, 2012 at 6:32 am

This is a e is lovely Color combination Imho also there is never too many colors I think
You should see my living room heheh full of colors. !!!:p

Shruti September 14, 2012 at 6:59 am

Hey Mehak!
I like the black and purple together. You are right though about tying in the purple with everything else. Couple of ideas! How about deep purple fragrant candles? They’ll go quite well with the mood of the whole space.
Purple cushions is definitely a good idea. You could also get purple throws like you said in the post. You could also get mismatched wall art with black and purple frames. Or your photographs framed in these two colors in different sizes hung together would be fab!
Also may be add touches of brown/wooden (dry flowers/potpourri) tones to pull everything together with the center table?
Happy decor-ing!

mehak September 14, 2012 at 9:35 am

Hi Shruti,
Those are great ideas..Deep Purple fragrant candles are definitely on the cards. Those tw silver goblets are actually candle holders- so maybe inside them..lets see!
And yes, some more wooden stuff to..actually theres a wooden side table between the two sofas on the right but you cant see it in the picture and the cabinet below the tv is wood too, but i need more brown for sure..

thevowsandbeyond September 14, 2012 at 7:38 am

I’m going to be in the exat same position as you in a couple of months Mehak!! It gives me palpitations frankly!! Your post gives me hope though. Well done with everything! I think it looks great – right out a magazine cover :) And it’ll just get better. I like the charcoal sofas – I’m sure you can play around with the “heat factor”. P.S – love the center table!!! Wishing you love an luck in your new home :)

mehak September 14, 2012 at 9:43 am

Hey dont you worry it all sorts out and part of the fun is going and purchasing things together and having huge fights over it :p

thevowsandbeyond September 14, 2012 at 7:41 pm

Thanks for the vote of confidence! I’m sure there is a sweetness to this experience as well :)

Bhushavali September 14, 2012 at 8:11 am

Whoa! That’s a fabulous transformation!
Love the mirror on the back, its fab!!!
Do drop by my blog sometime.
FASHION PANACHE BLOG

Shweta September 14, 2012 at 8:53 am

Hahahha mehak…. As always u nake me smile … I came across some really cool decor ideas on pinterest and have pinned some tht may go well with ur decor.. Shweta sidhu is my pinterest name and i follow u .. Other than tht u get some really cool stuff and how abt a photo collage of u n the boy n all ur pix from dating till wedding .. We have done that and n it looks really fab

mehak September 14, 2012 at 9:40 am

Ooh we have a collage thingie but its like this huggee photoframe where you can put in 20 photos will show that !

thedelhibride September 14, 2012 at 12:51 pm

Do send me a pic of this photoframe! I’m shifting in with the in-laws, and the boy’s room has already been renovated and set up for us (his mama’s an interior decorator!) so I don’t need to do much. But I do want to add some personal touches…for some reason, I believe that these personal touches will make it feel like home, or atleast it will make it easier to feel at home. Photos of us def seem like something that should make it feel like “our space”. Right? Ok, honestly…I’m totally freaking out about this! I’m so clueless about decor…!

mehak September 14, 2012 at 1:47 pm

ts such a blessing to live with in laws u dont even know !!!! Managing everything alone is really hard. Will send u spme pics

thedelhibride September 14, 2012 at 3:34 pm

Ah, your saying this makes me feel SO much better. Phew! I was wondering if I was missing out on something by not having to pick washing machines, sofas, etc! Waiting for pics :) thanks in advance, Mehak!

Shweta September 14, 2012 at 10:23 am

Ueah wht we have done it on the wall beams we have put up various collages…

Nafisa September 14, 2012 at 10:31 am

Nice job. I’m totally digging the mirror….it adds such oomph! Love the lamp as well :-) I had to put in a LOT of thought while doin up my aptmnt since i have a toddler on the loose. In fact, just lookin at that vase teetering at the edge of that corner table is makin me hell nervous LOL! :-D

mehak September 14, 2012 at 12:01 pm

Lol ya !!!! Thats one thing you can do when you dont have kids around the house. My maid keeps telling me- i feel scared to touch this/that..it will fall :p

Crazy Indian Bride September 14, 2012 at 10:43 am

Oh love what you have done to the room!

really like the dash of purple in the room.

The Sofa looks so comfy!

Jyoti September 14, 2012 at 11:17 am

I loved getting furnitures and setting up my place when we got married back in 2009 but then had to relocate and we sold of everything in dirt cheap prices in just 3 months just because we dint want to travel with all that. :( I feel so sad when i think of it. So this time we are really slow in getting everything in place unlike the last time when we got everything settled in a week. I am yet to get a sofa for our drawing room and seriously we have been searching for like 2 months and still nothing i found really clicked. :/
BTW I like how the mirror looks on that wall.So tell the boy its really worth all that torture. ;)

Vaishnavi September 14, 2012 at 12:07 pm

Oh Jyothi…my mom, aunt & uncle took a year for the sofa but it looks dangerously like our previous one, only difference with wooden panelling in spurts!!! So hang in there!!

Jyoti September 15, 2012 at 10:29 am

Really! A yr. :O Now i feel so much better. ;) Hope i dont have to wait that long.
Haha i have already told hubby i don’t want any leather upholstered thingie in there like our previous one. :P Am searching for something ethenic in wood or bamboo if possible. Fingers crossed. :)

Nidhi Pandey September 14, 2012 at 11:30 am

Hii Mehak! I liked the Centre table the most and now I have a question for you.. I have been looking for a Wooden Rocking horse for my kiddo.. but all m getting everywhere is a plastic rocking horse and that m getting nowhere..Did you by any chance happen to see it in Amar market? or any of your other visits?

mehak September 14, 2012 at 12:00 pm

Hi nidhi…no wooden rocking horse in amar..have u tried the online furniture shops. Im pretty certain i saw one at either pepperfry.com or jabong.com

treeza September 14, 2012 at 12:23 pm

love ur decor….very tastefully done…

Priti September 14, 2012 at 12:34 pm

A woman’s touch has worked wonders :):)
BEAUTIFUL and COSY …….are the first words that striked me :) way to go gal

sakhi September 14, 2012 at 12:41 pm

No comments on ur choices as I feel that it reflects ur personality..lifestyle..budget..but what i feel good about is ..A little girl surrounded by toaugh walls called parents is growing up and getting independent and settling down..all that u and ur boy are going thru now in someway or the other is building u’ll up to familyhood…I have just passed that phase or u can say ..still passing …and when u share these pics i can definetly see the happiness u achieve in decorating ur HOME…and its not only pics..u share a very imp part of ur life..dats ur time and happiness..it really feels gr8…

Dia September 14, 2012 at 12:45 pm

Hey Mehak,

really excited to see d house. Luv the silver Mirror….worth all the pain my bro had to go through :)
The two goblets are really pretty….wud definitely buyu sumthing similar my house as well.

Any ways keep updating ur decor diaries……waiting to see the rest of d house:)

mehak September 14, 2012 at 12:48 pm

Hi geetu didi!!!!
So happy to see you here, will definitely update more

Dolon September 14, 2012 at 1:44 pm

That mirror is gorgeous! Thts the first thing I got attracted to in the pic. Very tastefully done up Mehak…and me curious to know whats inside that silver trash bag:P

sakshi September 14, 2012 at 2:38 pm

I love ur sofa n cusions r realy attractive. N realy lyk d mirror idea. The living room is fab!! N for d lamps u can check out Bhagirath palace.

Chetana September 14, 2012 at 3:24 pm

Wow Mehak, when I saw the first pic, it reminded me of my own troubles with setting up a new house. But the second pic just blew me away. Believe me, that’s just fantastic work. As for me, the house remained the same for the next 1 year :)

Kejal September 14, 2012 at 3:33 pm

DC/DDC!! LOL! The place is very nicely done..I like this uncluttered look!

Nidhi Pandey September 14, 2012 at 4:19 pm

Okayz! Shall try out both the sites..

rids September 14, 2012 at 5:52 pm

JOB WELL DONE !!! luvd d mirror !!

shivi September 14, 2012 at 6:31 pm

this blog is taking a serious amazing turn which covers everything from ur makeup to ur house’s (make-up)…i love it…..mirror is kcool:) where all the stuff is gd i cannot stop admiring that lil bright rug under the table…it lightens up the room !!!

Mini September 14, 2012 at 6:42 pm

Beautifullllll!!!

Tanvi September 14, 2012 at 7:08 pm

Love it lady! Looks fantastic!!!

∞ © tanvii.com ∞

mehak September 14, 2012 at 11:38 pm

Thanks TanviiI!

beingpretty September 14, 2012 at 8:03 pm

I was really excited to see this post! I am all into interiors and all that ( p.s. I am studying architecture, so that connects. I am into structures and interior designing!)
I liked your sofa, even I would go for something like that, and then we can change the cushions and rest to change the feel of it!
Do more of these, and I bet you’ll get such long-long comments from me on them! ;) :P

Rima September 14, 2012 at 10:55 pm

i am loving the purple and dark grey combination.This gives a very nice and sophisticated feel. :)
you have chosen a very nice colour with the sofa…cuz i guess now u can give a fresh look to the drawing room everytym u change the pillows.the design of the centre table is very nice.well done mehak.looking fwd to more home decor posts!! :)

Marathi Weddings September 15, 2012 at 10:59 am

I laughed aloud in office alone when I read what DC and DDC is!! Too funny!! Your home looks lovely. Your mirror is a show stopper. Totally worth the effort. Wish you all the best. :)

Richa Saxena September 15, 2012 at 11:23 am

Loved the decor…Its very well done…I especially loved the mirror…

Bhumika September 15, 2012 at 11:16 pm

U have done the decor so well…and that too in the budget..looks fab :)

Anonymous September 15, 2012 at 11:53 pm

Mehak,

I love reading your blog and I pretty much read up everything in a week. I was really excited for you for all your big days. Congratulations on the new place and I hope you will gradually make it very gradually. Just one small thing sweety, the past tense of cost in the sense you’re using it, is cost and not costed. I don’t know why, but as a fan of your blog, it really bugs me when you say costed (and you say costed a lot). I hope you’re not offended and will take it as constructive and as something that will improve your blog. Keep up the good work otherwise :)

mehak September 15, 2012 at 11:56 pm

haha !!! Thanks for the correction!
No offence taken!

Urmi September 16, 2012 at 4:27 pm

I absolutely love this! It must be so much fun… and I agree about the lamps.. it’ll look great.

and geez girl too many colors?? I find this very subtle and classy. You should see my dorm room… I recently decorated it… I love how colorful it is! :)

komal September 16, 2012 at 6:56 pm

I love what you have done . off white and white walls are best for experimenting . you were talking about the lamp, i highly suggest the see through glass ones, would bring color and a different texture to the room :)

Meenu September 17, 2012 at 2:46 pm

You are really putting a lot of hard work on your home.. and results are great too….
show us some your paintings too…

Gwen @ Makeup Toys September 19, 2012 at 7:47 pm

You have a lovely place!

Curious Girl September 21, 2012 at 4:02 am

can i just suggest this not-so-fancy place place in gurgaon where you can find all those mg road pieces for literally less than half the price. and i must add beautiful mirror frames too. Kind of like the sarojni for decor and furniture items. Its in sec 56 right next to the petrol pump. on the rail vihar road. closest landmark: AIT chownk. have a look :)

mehak September 24, 2012 at 2:52 pm

ooh thankss girl..im definitely going to be checking it out!