Ootd: The Wedding Lehenga Revisited

by mehak on November 3, 2012

in Bridal Blog, Bridal fashion

When people told me that ill ‘NEVER’ wear my shaadi lehenga again,  i knew that wasn’t entirely true. You see, living in a Punjabi family means that not only do you wear your wedding lehenga on your brother/sister/ cousins wedding and look like half a bride yourself but you also wear it on your first Karva Chauth.  I dont know why, i dont quite see the point of wearing it and doing basically nothing, staying in the house but hey ! Excuse to dress up is an excuse to dress up!!!

Is it totally vain to say that no matter how many times i see my lehenga , i still absolutely love it :p This time atleast i could wear it with my hair down and in a more relaxed way so my head wasnt wobblling back with the weight of the dupatta all the time!!! I also changed up the jewellery, and wore a polki/emerald necklace. (Though i think the simple gold and polki one i wore on my wedding looked better with this because there is already so much color in the lehenga).

What about you guys? Do you have a tradition of wearing your wedding lehenga? Are you the kind of people who think Karva chauth is ‘Regressive’ ?? For me, its simple- if a day of fasting can bring me tons of gifts and special treatment- and an excuse to get all dressed up again- im not complaining! By the way, i nearly broke my fast yesterday- woke up early morning asking my mom to pass me the water bottle, and she without realising passed it to me. Only when i was just about to take a sip i realised EEKS !!!! Hehe… though Maybelline Baby Lips kept my thirst away you know. I guess the lack of water was making my lips feel dry and making me even more thirsty but Mango Pie did the trick!!!

Maybelline Dream liquid Mousse Foundation

Mac Mocha Blush

Mac Viva Glam Cyndi Lipstick

bridal-lehenga2-001 (1)

Manu November 3, 2012 at 10:14 am

OMG! MEHAK, you look like a doll. The second pic with the flared out skirt is GORG :) :)

mehak November 3, 2012 at 10:47 am

Thanks Manu!! I was so annoyed that i dodnt have a flary pic of the lehenga on my wedding that i made sure this time i got one :p

Shikha November 3, 2012 at 10:22 am

Wow, you look sooo pretty Mehak, It was a long day of fasting, with fog and clouds and moon was not visible till 9:00PM.. uhhh, So you were enjoying Mango flavor :-P
over all a happy and eventful day.

Saumya November 3, 2012 at 10:22 am

I love your lehnga .. rather am in love with your lehnga … you look fab ..love your necklace n I think it totally looks awesome with your outfit ..love the first and the second pic looks royal :) ;)

suna November 3, 2012 at 10:33 am

wow u look gorgeous mehak…2nd pic of you skirt looks beautiful
detailings are so intricate & perfect..

Bharti November 3, 2012 at 10:38 am

OMG mehak! You look so pretty O_O. I love when you do these wedding related post. Gives a clueless person like some info in these kind of related topic :P.

mehak November 3, 2012 at 10:46 am

Heh thanks bharti!

poorva November 3, 2012 at 10:48 am

Oh my!!!! I cant stop looking at the second pic. So so so beautiful :-):-):-):-) woww :-):-)

priyanka November 3, 2012 at 11:04 am

hey the lehnga is gorgeous and so are you…i think the third pic is the best one!

Priya November 3, 2012 at 11:18 am

Absolutely stunning Mehak! I am panju too and u r right I wore my wedding lehenga on my first karva chauth! I also recently wore it in my cousin’s wedding :)

Aparajita November 3, 2012 at 11:33 am

OMG mehak…you look sooo pretty…
I absolutely love how the lehnga is looking in the second pic…
and you look absolutely stunning….

Pooja@IBC November 3, 2012 at 11:35 am

Oooh looking so pretty, I love this more relaxed look with your hair down, hope u got tons of gift from hubby! :)

Embellished November 3, 2012 at 11:39 am

You look amazing! :)

Jazz November 3, 2012 at 11:39 am

That last pic is just wow. You look stunning Mehak.

ramya November 3, 2012 at 12:16 pm

looking so gorgeous:):)

Deepti November 3, 2012 at 12:41 pm

OMG! OMG! You look abso stunning Mehak. :) Love your lehenga. On you its ravishing!

Shruti November 3, 2012 at 1:02 pm

Lovely….. I am in just awe of this beautiful Lehenga. You r lukin’ ravishing in this piece of art Mehak :)

Frances November 3, 2012 at 1:40 pm

(1) God, I love your lehenga. I think I might like it even more styled this way, with that gorgeous dupatta. It’s such a vibrant, detailed outfit but you really pull it off!

(2) COLOURED BALLS! Swishy-swishy! I love the ones at the tie of your top, so fun and dainty.

(3) Why is that necklace not mine? GIMME. It’s really gorgeous, wear it with one of those white goddess dresses some time, pleasepleasepleasepleaseplease?! With coral lipstick, and sexy bedhead, and just drape yourself over a chaise longue and order the (Cabana)Boy to bring you endless fruity cocktails. Next karva chauth, maybe? ;-)

mehak November 3, 2012 at 6:26 pm

Haha next karva chauth for sure …except i cant have those fruity cocktails..that would be breaking the fast :p

trisala November 3, 2012 at 1:57 pm

heyyy mehak!! ur lukn damn damn prettyy!! d 2nd pic of yours is lykk woww!! n dat necklace is beautiful!! now plz some jewellery post (artificial+real)..frm whr hv u takn ds.. m in lv wd it.. <3 <3

Nidhi November 3, 2012 at 4:05 pm

Wow u luk stunning … the flare in the lehnga is just so good.. we donot have a tradition of wearing the wedding lehnga but since I like getting decked up i have worn my engagement lehnga reception saree and also the reception lenhga on my karwa chauths :) its like feeling again like a bride …

Crazy Indian Bride November 3, 2012 at 7:14 pm

my mom wore her lehengha for almost all her karva chaut untill just a couple of karva chaut ago, now she just takes the chunni, the lehenga is too fragil. I plan to do the same ;P and yes there are so many brothers/sisters/cousins wedding’s I am looking forward to wearing my own lehengha!

You look gorgeous, I love that line of blue mirror lace that you have on the chunni and the lehenga.

Chunchun November 3, 2012 at 7:32 pm

We have a tradition of wearing “odhna” over whatever outfit one is wearing.

Vrushali Panindre November 3, 2012 at 9:00 pm

Hey Mehak,
You are one of the most Beautiful Brides I have EVER EVER EVER Seen.
You can be easily compared to Julia Roberts, Catherine Zeta-Jones, Natalie Portman – In Classic movies.
You are sooo My Style Icon, along with Kareena Kapoor, Aishwarya Rai, Esha Gupta.

mehak November 3, 2012 at 9:27 pm

OMG Vrushali..youv made my head so big :p
Nah, im quite clumsy and non classy in real life :p But thank you so much!

Neha November 3, 2012 at 9:03 pm

Wow you look very pretty! :)
And the lehenga is gorgeous too! :)

Anshita @Vanity No Apologies November 3, 2012 at 10:22 pm

umm is it appropriate so say that you look sexy in the lehenga?! :D

mehak November 3, 2012 at 10:51 pm

Umm lets see. yr not a letchy guy, yr not an internet stalker, and yr not a paedophile so yup its totally appropriate!

beingpretty November 3, 2012 at 11:41 pm

I love your lehenga Mehak!! :)

Maansi November 3, 2012 at 11:49 pm

I think the gorgeousness of d lehenga came out so well in dese pics…its looks much much more prettier than d wedding pics….lovely lehenga…jus fell like admirin its beauty and staring it continuously!
And u make it even more graceful ofcourse!

Bhumika November 4, 2012 at 2:45 am

Lehenga looks fab ! I loved these pics more than on the wedding..u look quite relaxed here :)

Karishma November 4, 2012 at 3:12 am

I didn’t know that Punjabi’s wear their Wedding Lehenga on KarvaChauth! Looking so good :)

san November 4, 2012 at 5:44 am

Wow,im so glad u posted this…ive been longing to see the beautiful flower embroidery…i just love them.your 3rd pic is stunning…syrprised hubby allowed to post at all ;p.

su November 4, 2012 at 3:24 pm

wow mehak ur lehenga is looking even better in the day light…….esp ur dupatta wearing style…….. i loveeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee ur attire awesome……..

ritu November 4, 2012 at 4:07 pm

hey mehak gorgeous as always!! just love the emerald necklace !! are they real emeralds!!? just gorgeous!! really! would love to own one but must be lakhs of rupees

mehak November 4, 2012 at 7:58 pm

Yes theyr uncut emeralds..its not Lakhsss of rupees, its actually 1.1 Lakh which is really reasonable for a necklace that big na?

thevowsandbeyond November 4, 2012 at 5:40 pm

Pretty girl, awesome lehenga!!!! I’m sure it’s a treat to take out the lehenga again and wear it, this time appreciating it even more. Hope you had a fab karva chauth! :)

gunjan November 4, 2012 at 7:31 pm

You look awesome! Btw, Kareena Kapoor wore almost a similar set which you are wearing, in her reception. :P

StrawberryPulp November 4, 2012 at 10:01 pm

Love everything about your lehenga – it’s unusual, cheery and summery but still heavy…and that third pic is great ! And kudos on the blue choli- really sets off the lehenga..

Strawberry Pulp recently posted Wedding Planning Update 6

Kejal November 4, 2012 at 11:46 pm

Looking awesome! i didnt know punjabis wear their wedding lehenga on this day of fasting. But it is a real good reason to wear the wedding dress :D

sharona November 5, 2012 at 12:21 am

Since you asked… Karva Chauth is not only regressive it is also demeaning to women….

Think it over…. You want a world where men and women are equal, love care and do things for each other out of love. Not endorse the view that the husband is superior to the wife… ergo his life is more important and the wife has to starve while he gives two hoots

mehak November 5, 2012 at 9:03 am

Well i think it depends on what kind of family yr in. Atleast in my family noone forces you to keep it, you keep it out of your own will. P;lus these days men do it too- all the youger generation of cousins of mine and me included- all their husbands keep a fast with them :)

sharona November 6, 2012 at 10:27 pm

In India we have many traditions that subtly and not so subtly state the superiority of the male in any relationship…. dowry is pretty upfront in that but karva chauth thats a snake in the grass… Yes its modernized, yes your husband fasts with you and isnt that nice… But the thought behind the whole tradition is cringe worthy…. the wife fasts for the long life of her husband… As a modern couple in an equal relationship its time smart women like you looked behind the mere chance to play dress up …

If you have a daughter you surely dont want to give her any message subtle or otherwise that she is the lesser of the two in any relationship…… anyway I dont mean to piss you off…. but you did ask..:)

mehak November 7, 2012 at 6:28 pm

See , to me thats like the case of the burqa… a lot of people say..burqa is regressive, why do women ave t hide behind that veil etc etc. But i have met muslim women who choose to wear it inspite of having husbands who dont care two hoots about whether thy wear it or not. Ofcourse, the concept is grossly misused but Personally, To be a “modern couple’ or a ‘modern woman’ means having the freedom and ability to choose what you want to do and how you want to do it. So whether you choose to stay at home and be a house wife, whether you choose to work, whether you fast your husband, whether you dont, whether you do the cooking or not doesnt have anything to do with how modern you are. Modernity is defined by the freedom of choice, and freedom to dictate life on your own terms.

Shikha November 7, 2012 at 7:06 pm

Well said girl…. I loved it Mehak…. :-) I am not married yet, neither my in-laws asked me to fast, I kept it for my happiness and as per my wish. And my family, boy and his family supported me… Infact boy was tease me that “you dnt need to fast and neither I will let you fast later as you are already fit. Else I will have to work out more to match you.” :-)

sharona November 7, 2012 at 11:50 pm

Sigh Mehak,

Women the world over have fought really hard for the freedom and equality that we enjoy today. Burqa is plain wrong whether a woman has chosen it for herself or not… ( Women also choose to remain in abusive marriages , pay dowry etc, doesnt make their choices right)
when we think that the choice to fast or not is ours, to wear the burqa or not is ours, to cook or not is ours. Its really not our choice at all is it. A woman who chooses to do none of these is viewed differently . a woman who does not fast, a woman who does not know how to cook, a woman who puts career before family are all judged and pretty harshly at that…

Karva Chauth, burqa, being responsible for the family, cooking etc all these things( even if women choose them for themselves) reinforce patriarchy and patriarchy goes against everything that equality of the sexes stand for… everything that many brave women fought for ,the freedom that you and me take for granted…

mehak November 9, 2012 at 1:25 pm

Ofcourse people still judge you harshly if you dont cook and do all these things women are ‘supposed’ to do and its completely regressive, but does that mean that someone who actually likes to do those things is regressive too? I dont agree with that at all.
I cant cook to save my life, i work pretty much 11 hours a day, have no plans of having kids anytime in the near future, heck i dont even stay with my in laws..but i dont thjink im any more modern than my cousin who stays at home with her in laws , still gets pocket money from her husband, supervises the kitchen and plans kids..she chooses to do so and she likes it that way ! If someone tells her to work for her money and stop cooking, that to me is her being forced to do somethng she just doesnt want to, the same way if someone tells me to start cooking and looking after the household.
Brave women have fought for equality- to me, equality means the freedom to choose…and as long as i choose to do whatever i want to do, i feel good. To me, society judging a women who cant cook is as regressive and as aweful as women’s lib crusaders judging a woman who likes to do all that.
Lets just agree to disagree here :p

sharona November 5, 2012 at 12:22 am

Oh but you look beautiful…. and if i was going to have a lehenga wedding this is the one i would pick. Its earthy and gorgeous

Meenu November 5, 2012 at 2:12 pm

The last picture from behind, stunning…. you look no less than the models of bridal wear in that pic…

Pratha November 6, 2012 at 7:00 pm

You are from a Punjabi family.. yet you’ve managed to keep yourself so skinny!!! HOW???????

Shikha November 6, 2012 at 10:17 pm

Pratha, Its not that Punjabi girls are FAT/healthy. We do maintain ourself. Its just we love to eat. Which doesn’t mean that we stuff over-self and carry pot bellies around.

Pratha November 7, 2012 at 12:49 am

Oops.. i didnt mean it like that!! no offense pls!! What i *really* meant was.. inspite of your hereditary love for food.. how is it that you manage to be so skinny??? health routine please!!

mehak November 7, 2012 at 9:19 pm

Hehe no offense taken Pratha.
Honestly no health routine :p ..Just good genes :p But yes, try and eat before 7:30 pm, never skip breakfast and make it the heaviest meal of the day, skip the elevators and take the stairs.

Garima December 2, 2014 at 3:46 pm

I want to buy this lehnga, this is so beautiful…Please let me know where to buy.

Divya November 8, 2012 at 8:46 pm

Mehak.. u look amaaazzzzzzzzzing… Love the leghna.. but in south india, especially in tamilnadu we people dont have the practice of wearing leghna.. for marriages.. :-(

mehak November 8, 2012 at 9:14 pm

You guys wear sarees na? They look so pretty too!

Armani January 4, 2013 at 7:47 am

Hey where did you manage to find that lehenga ? It is difficult to find indian designer lehengas in atlanta. How much was it?

mehak January 4, 2013 at 11:14 am

Dear Armani,
Why dot you hire our Bridal Shopping service? We can get any lehenga made and send it to you.

abhi January 10, 2013 at 6:52 pm

I love this lehnga on u soooo much…i find myself visiting n revisiting this post just to drool over the prettyness :) turning into a bit of a stalker…i hope u dont mind…love

mehak January 10, 2013 at 6:54 pm

ahah! Not at all!! I love my lehenga too!!!

Snigdha January 31, 2013 at 3:05 am

hi there.. I love your lehenga. Can you please share where you bought it from? I am getting married in Oct and need to buy one. Thanks much!!!

mehak January 31, 2013 at 12:36 pm

Its from frontier

jasmin February 16, 2013 at 11:29 pm

hey mehak in love wid y’r entire attire , and y’r neck piece…

Divya September 15, 2014 at 7:14 pm

Hey Mehak!, simply gorgeous! Where did you buy this lehnga from? Please do tell. My wedding is in Feb, would like to make something similar to this. Your inputs will greatly help

mehak September 16, 2014 at 9:10 am

Hi Divya
i bought it from frontier raas.you should follow our new wedding website- wedmegood