Dear Santa…

by Mehak Shahani on December 20, 2012

in Uncategorized

Dear Santa,

Last year on my Christmas Wishlist, i asked you for the Urban Decay Eyeshadow Pallette, a Benefit Highlighter and a couple of other sparkly beauty items. This year, for Christmas i want something different.

I want the  the Delhi Govt to actually DO something about the situation of women in my city, for Shiela Dixit to stop saying ” I condemn this act” and actually use her power to crack down on such barbarians, for the animals who did this to the recent  rape victim to be hung, or castrated  or  beaten up in public till they bleed to death …I dont care if i sound violent. I know i do, and i know more violence is not the answer to violence but Iv had ENOUGH. Iv had ENOUGH of reading horrific stories in the newspapers, and be expected to just be numb to these things, iv had ENOUGH  of thinking it can never happen to me. Because it CAN.  Iv had ENOUGH of people saying ” She shouldnt have boarded a private bus with tinted windows at night” .  Because blaming the victim is NOT the answer.

For those unaware, a metal rod was inserted into this young girls body, and pulled out with so much force that her intestines came out. She was then  brutally beaten up, repeatedly raped by 5-6 men in a moving bus as the bus circled delhi in the evening.  All this was done, apparently because the assailant wanted to have some ‘ fun’ ! She faces the prospect of never being able to eat like  a normal human being again, and i dont even know whether surviving in a vegetative state like that is called surviving at all. I dont even think animals can do this to another living being, this is something only monsters can do. And Monsters dont deserve ‘civil rights’  and ‘non violence measures’ . They deserve the damnest possible punishment on earth.

Ugh. I try and keep this blog very fun, and positive and not discuss serious issues like this, but the horrific-ness of this incident is just too much to ignore.

Ishita Ray December 20, 2012 at 11:44 am

When I got to know an Iron rod was inserted into her Vagina.. I started shivering… Those bastards should rot in Hell.. Bloody Mother F**** .. Delhi is a place where Monsters live I guess.. Everyday new stories of rape popping up

Anuja December 20, 2012 at 11:44 am

Very well written, Mehak. I’m a Bombay girl, been travelling alone for years now. It’s sad to see that a lot of people have made this into a Bombay/Delhi debate yet again.. this not a war between cities or states, it is a question about us women.. I hate to admit but most Indian men make me SICK. And I don’t have any choice but to say it out loud now.

Priti December 20, 2012 at 1:08 pm

I agree… its not just about Delhi.
I am a Mumbai Girl too but the recent events in my city have made me question the supposedly “safe city” tag!!!
I believe the problem is that there is no damn fear in these men anymore… they believe they wont be caught and even if they are, they can manage their way out.
I pray for the well being of the girl and hope that those demonic men are hung in public…

Anuja December 20, 2012 at 1:37 pm

Exactly, Priti. What kind of animal shoves a rod into a girls vagina? This is worse than murder. This girl might never be able to eat like a normal person because some sick bastard thought he could mutilate a girl and walk away. It’s 2012, and India is being talked about globally as a superpower..and yet its women have to be warned by the same people who educated them to make a life, to dress ‘appropriately’ and make it home on time. All this is very sickening.

Richa Saxena December 20, 2012 at 7:29 pm

I totally agree with you…This is not just about a particular city or state…I am from Mumbai and I have had the same conversation going around..Whether Mumbai is safer than Delhi or not..I am sick of it And I will say neither is safe anymore..If Men are going behave like maniac how can anyone feel safe.The things is these Men have no fear now…If Punishment is even given..It’s too late, too little…They think they can escape with anything…I really really hope that the judicial system does atleast something NOW..

Chris December 20, 2012 at 11:53 am

What was the bus driver doing while that happened????

Gunjan December 20, 2012 at 12:00 pm

That bastard was also busy raping her. These 6 men took turns to rape her!

Chris December 21, 2012 at 9:45 am

WHAT?? I am just sick to my stomach.

Gunjan December 20, 2012 at 11:59 am

The poor girl was lying in the nude for nearly one hour…!!! Imagine the pain she must have been in. Terrible!!!!!

Aayushi December 20, 2012 at 12:13 pm

“She shouldnt have boarded a private bus with tinted windows at night”
my frnd said d same… i was lyk wht d f*** does tht mean u shld rape… its been 2-3 days m thinking abt this… gt severe headache nd fever too.. i cnt evn imagine the pain of d girl :’(
i want der main parts and hands to b brutaly cut … x(

Parul December 20, 2012 at 12:15 pm

After reading about the incident I am in so much pain and so numb with shock. Everytime I look at my sleeping daughter I wonder what kind of world am I bringing her up in with such monsters around…its so disturbing…hope Santa listens to you n every person who is praying for a world without monsters

Shruti December 20, 2012 at 12:19 pm

I just read she is no more. Who could survive that. Whenever I hear/read about it, I shiver :(

Don’t know where this country is headed

Asvita December 20, 2012 at 1:08 pm

She is very much alive and conscious n even declared to be stable for now.But even I heard that even if she survives this, she will be dependent on intravenous fluids for d rest of her life.What sort of existence will dat be? With such horrific incidents taking place its very difficult to feel normal , to carry on with your daily lives any longer.

priyanka December 20, 2012 at 12:22 pm

Such barbaric incident should jolt us out of our blissful ignorance and we should realize it can happen to any of us. Blaming the victim is definitely not the answer….rather it is encouraging the criminals.

shweta December 20, 2012 at 1:29 pm

it aint a delhi specific prblem nemore.. i do agree it happens more in north but women in general are nt safe in this country.. why do u call mumbai safe when my husband feels insecure about me sleeping alone at nites at home when hes travelling ?a young lawyer gets molested n murdered in her own home just coz she reprimanded the watchman earlier in the day?or that your throat gets slashed coz some joker wants your gold chain… a woman in india feels shes not safe at all anywhere in india!!this country is getting more n more regressive by the day and there is goonda raj!if u remember in mumbai even two boys were killed just coz they were defending their girlfriends

Faiza Qaiser December 20, 2012 at 2:02 pm

It’s terrible , and i hope those sickos get punished and are given the worst possible treatment . When my niece posted it on facebook i thought it was a lie, it couldn’t happen. We are feeling so bad and our prayers go out for the poor girl. I hope people everywhere could get a safe environment .

Shikha December 20, 2012 at 2:13 pm

Ppl tell us that stop wearing reveling clothes, Stop going out late, put CCTV, check ID cards. Is hat enough to STOP all this? If we stop going out, wear burka, sit in front of CCTV can we be assured that we will be safe? Its not about clothes, going out, CCTV.. its about ppls mind set, which needs to be changed. MEN needs to learn to respect WOMEN. Teach them that.. They can ask girls to stop going out, why cant they STOP selling liquor? Colleges can ask girls to wear covered clothes why cant they have sessions for men to learn how to behave? Govt is ready to put CCTV they are not ready to give harsher punishments and set fast track courts for such cases until there is lot of noise and protest. Its a shame for whole humanity.. These culprits will never know what an insult is if they get death sentence, they should be given more harsher punishment.

bawa December 20, 2012 at 2:52 pm

This will be true development, progress, revolution, not the building of a few malls etc., but developing people in this country to behave with respect towards Everyone, especially men towards women, start that by demanding this within our own family and friends circle.
No more patronising comments and attitudes accepted.

Crimes will still happen, but they should be an anomaly, not an everyday occurrence, and we must make a start by refusing to make any excuses at all.

Avanti December 20, 2012 at 3:31 pm
Gauri December 20, 2012 at 3:44 pm

Hi Mehak,
I have been a silent ‘on-and-off-follower’ of your blog …and this post that u did…has created a deep impression on me…dat u are not making ur presence felt just by dishing out ‘makeup and fun stuff’ on ur blog but also have a social awareness and a humane side to problems around us, U IMPRESSED ME GIRL!!!! Muah…coz u have done something that dozen other blogs have not even mentioned it…let alone put up a post abt it (no offence to any makeup/beauty bloggers…there may be some who hav !!!)
And lastly, dont mind abt adressing such issues on ur blog…

my suggestion for those BEASTS about such a horrendous act is… they should NOT be BEATEN up, or CASTRATED , or HUNG unto death or give them LIFE imprisonment…they should be given d most POWERFUL PUNISHMENT… worse than castration…CUT OFF THEIR NERVE SUPPLY to their ‘oh-so-fun-loving-body-part’…a nice SMACK TO THEIR MALENESS!!! something to remind them that even if they have their parts intact..they will always have to keep them INSIDE THEIR PANTS!!!!

Maitri December 20, 2012 at 4:08 pm

My thoughts exactly Mehak, thanks for the post

Namitha December 20, 2012 at 4:21 pm

Very well written Mehak. I am glad you took up the initiative to write, this country needs to change. I am sick of writing long posts on why women should be respected, all I hope is for a change. If only women are respected, and men are taught to respect, such incidents will never occur. If you’ve got time on hand, do check out the post I wrote in wake of this issue. I am unable to link it here, the latest blog post is being considered.
Again, I am so glad you wrote about this, being an influential Delhi girl that you are :)

varshini December 20, 2012 at 5:07 pm

ohh god this is soooo cruel……i pray to god that these animals should get the worst ever punishment …same rod shd be struck in to their a**

Nivedita December 20, 2012 at 5:18 pm

Mehak, I know crimes against women in Delhi is perhaps the highest in the country. But that doesn’t exonerate the other cities as well. Things are also changing in the apparently ‘safe’ Kolkata. I traveled around in the city since I was 10. But now at 25 I feel so unsafe. On one occasion the public caught the mischief maker, but the police did not even take a GD!! Yes, this has been one of my own experience.
As for Sheila Dixit. I do not know what to say. I remember years ago ( 2 or 3 I guess), a girl who had gone out with her car was shot just for fun and she went on to say that the woman was ‘adventurous’!! I do not know where to find the solution. Is it in our very social system? Else, why does a woman assist her son to kill the wife for dowry? Why can’t we teach our children to be at least human beings?
And yes, in a country where a ‘marital rape’ must had a witness by law… how much better can we expect? For the politicians we are nothing more than statistical numbers. I do not know if candle-light rallies would help, but I wish there were stricter punishment and yes, I also wish kids were being taught better by particularly the male members of the family to respect women.

bawa December 20, 2012 at 5:44 pm

Up to us women to demand total respect from males around us too, starting with family, and from there on. Children will learn from what they see in action, not what comes out of our mouths.
It is not only the responsibility of the “male members of the family”.
There are obviously many other things that need to be done on other levels: Law, Police, Courts, etc. etc. and we should fight to make those happen.

But also want to focus on what each one of us can do to make the change from today itself, and that does not need anyone but our own determination.

Arunima December 20, 2012 at 6:01 pm

To be honest i dont think we can call these monsters animals coz even in the animal kingdom male animals wait for a female’s permission before they mate….The sad but true fact is that for most men especially in this country their education (i do not means maths,science…but basic human rights and values ) and their ego have an inversely proportional relation..the lesser your education,the bigger the ego or the need to prove their “mardangi” coz like they say when the vessel is empty it makes more noise….an that gives rise to the mindset, in this country especially, if you,the woman, do anything to hurt that ego…by either saying a no to him or making him feel stupid you deserve to be punished and what could be worse than not only voilating your dignity but scarring you for life.What makes this situation worse is that for years we have tried to make sense out of such “monstrous” actions by saying the victim,the woman had it coming…she must have done something to lure the predator.
Its sad that it took such a mind numbingly horrific incident to happen to one unsuspecting girl for thousand of women across the country to sit up and say NO! this isnt our fault,we cant invite rapes upon ourselves..rapes happen because there exists monsters called rapists and the only thing we can do is fight to protect ourselves through whatever means necessary.
As for that girl, it makes me tear up everytime i try to fathom what she must have gone through physically and mentally as her body was brutalised, it makes me angry too ..i want those monsters to be “neutered”( the term castrated is for humans only) and flayed alive. “Civil” treatments such as hanging them will mean an almost painless death something they certainly dont deserve.

Embellished December 20, 2012 at 7:08 pm

This is so horrible. I don’t even know what to say. It’s like our country is becoming more and more numb to all the evils that can exist in society. You’re right. We cannot ignore everything. Everything will not be okay. Nothing they do to those six sick men is going to make them feel as that girl did when she was being raped and her intestines being shoved out of her body. What have we humans come to, man? Such a shame.

Kritika December 20, 2012 at 9:34 pm

Its really shameful ! And to top this, we have idiots all over the country saying complete and utter crap. Like this guy “Shivendra Singh” An Asst. Review Officer at Hon’ble High Court of Allahabad. His tweet on Twitter said, “GIRL ,WHO WAS RAPED IN DELHI, SHUD NOT HAVE FOLLOWED WESTERN CULTURE.”

This guy is really an employee of the High Court of Allahabad. Its not a fake account. Whoever is on Twitter, I urge you to please throw you outrage at @shivendraINDIA. Or at least go Report Spam on his account. Its the least we, mouse-click activists can do! Absolute disgrace!

shruti December 20, 2012 at 9:48 pm

Thanks for doing this piece, Mehak. As citizens of a nation that turns a deaf ear towards horrific acts like these, anyone who has a way of reaching out to a larger audience, has a moral duty to do so. Your blog is a widely read one, and I appreciate the fact that you posted about this, even if it was to vent out the horror. We need every single voice of protest we can get to get the authorities to shake them out of their slumber.

nn December 20, 2012 at 10:28 pm

Thanks Mehak! It broke my heart when I read the news! What scares and angers me is that people blame the girl! A woman was killed in her own apt in Mumbai- is she to blame as well?? Western culture is to blame it seems. Well, then how come you dont catch those guys salivating when looking at a girl. 9 of 10 its the guys here who have that nasty look. Now they say not to go out at 10.30 pm, next it will 8 , then 6 pm & finally the Women of India will be mere shadows. I want a more barbaric punishment meted out to those creatures, but praying that the law upholds itself at the very least.

Anonymous December 20, 2012 at 10:35 pm

I’m completely sick of this country and the men! And to top it off, the backward ppl are saying its her fault! What the hell!
I’m sorry, I shouldn’t sound so rude but I’m nothing but angry. All I want is that the balls of these guys should be cut off so they know what the girl went through! Death penalty is not enough for these motherfucking bastards! They should be hit publicly till they bleed and a rod should be shoved up their asses! Sorry to sound so violent

Anonymous December 20, 2012 at 10:38 pm

Their faces were covered because apparently according to our law, not covering their faces is against their basic human rights! Tell me, are they even HUMAN? I swear if this keeps happening I’m soon leaving this country

mehak December 20, 2012 at 11:10 pm

Yknow same here.
The boy has always toyed with the idea of moving abroad. I have always been like ‘NO’ ..i dont want to leave india. But the more i stay here, the more disgusted i get. Its not like these things dont happen abroad ofcourse they do. But atleast i feel like you can trust the justice system and the cops there.

Meenu December 20, 2012 at 11:09 pm

I dont know why but i cant see the poor girl and us women getting any justice or change here.
When i think about Jessica Lal’s Case, the Kasab case… i see no hope!!! And this is what disturbs me the most; even after going through the hell, the girl will not even get a much much deserved justice.

Sandhya December 20, 2012 at 11:29 pm

Its heartbreaking what some beasts can do to women. And the iron rod news made me lose faith in the society. Those monsters should be stoned to death!! This news just creates a stir for sometime, the victim succumbs, then again, there is another news of gang rape. Then another. While this is happening, there is already another news of gang rape in UP bus stand.. Law and order SUCKS in India!!!

Ruchi December 20, 2012 at 11:56 pm

When I heard about the incident on radio, one of the listener said – these people (i feel they are worse than animals) should be put on fast track courts and given CAPITAL PUNISHMENT. And whoever human right activist says that it is against their human right. Unko bolna chaiye ki aise log 15 saal bhi under psychiatric care mein rakhenge to bhi nahi sudhrenge. And what about the rights of that lady?

I feel these should be given CAPITAL PUNISHMENT with public flogging, stoning and lynching or whatever that can elongate the pain till death. I mean they should feel every moment pain the girl went through.

And on top of that, when you hear your leaders speak nonsense. This or that should be done or should not be done. What the f****** hell are you made a leader for? I am 100% sure nothing will happen to these criminals. I have read the girl was lying naked on the road for over an hour before anybody had even the courtesy to cover her. If it is true, it just shows how insensitive we have truly become…

Ritu December 21, 2012 at 12:46 am

Horrific horrific incident.. And such a shameless govt.. The CM, home minister and the Commissioner should simply resign instead of hovering water cannons ovr the protesters.. But hats off to the girl… She’s a fighter.. and such an example for all of us.. I really hope she gets better and comes out strong aftr all this.. after all its her life.. and she wants to live.. I just wish i could even contribute 1 single % to teach such monsters a lesson rather than posting these mesgs.. :(

agnibanya December 21, 2012 at 1:39 am

Hi Mehak,
Thank you for this post.
I see my child sleeping soundly and I feel the love, if someone scolds him, I feel angry towards that person,and if someone hits him, even its only some other child, I get mad with anger, I can’t even begin to imagine the plight of that girls parents, she was not only hurt physically, but her dignity was compromised, and there is not a thing worse than that on this earth.

I pray to God that she survives, although her wounds will never heal, and maybe here existence will not be even considered living but I still want her to live,and fight…..

Whatever happened to her was inhuman, the cowardly bastards should be publicly castrated, stripped and wounded and left to die, right on the same spot where they left the girl and her friend…

Pooja December 21, 2012 at 1:42 am

OH MY FUCKING LORD!! they fucking inserted a rod inside of her? how was this teaching her a lesson? and against what? the fuck did they think they were? some sort of ‘moral police’? bloody mother fuckers have some serious shit lined up for them in hell. i’m voting for public castration all the fucking way, but first brutal insertion of a hot iron rod up their asses would be only fair. i can’t even imagine someone’s thoughts to be soo evil driven to carry out such a heinous crime and not be even slightly perturbed seeing how helpless the victim is and in so much visible pain. seems like they were taking up a personal issue up with her, atleast that would make some sense of why they could even muster up such an idea. i am not going to waste my mind thinking the whys and hows herethough, all I want is a one hundred percent public manifestation of total justice NOWWWW. people should know this is fucking wrong and unacceptable and to keep their retarded, twisted thoughts in their pants or their manhood will be in serious jeopardy. i hope and pray for the brave girl to be able to live through this and just somehow cope with the physical scars as well as the emotional trauma she will unfortuantely have to live with for the rest of her life. i pray for her strength during this time and after and for her to never think this her fault cuz it wasnt. and i hope this fucking government can have some laws that require boys to learn how to be a real man and what the fuck is okay and what isnt and also, the society esp. fathers and mothers to teach their boys that its not fucking okay to comment on a girls legs when she is about her business, to not talk about the length of her skirt cuz its her fucking body, to teach them what their rights are but most importantly what their fucking duties are. this is the only country where people bow down to Goddesses, get a hint motherfuckers. no place can run without women, NO FUCKING PLACE, so they’d rather respect them or be forbidden of life entirely. i feel sad for the mothers of these barbarians, im sure they contemplate to have killed them the day they were born. what a fucking waste of life! but i just want to see their testicles be eaten by dogs right infront of them and also, that all this be taped, recorded and distributed worldwide and shown to every growing boy to know that this could be him one day if he strays that is. ACT NOW, SHEILA DIXIT! MAN-THE-FUCK-UP!

Sophia December 21, 2012 at 6:16 am

Thanks Mehak for speaking out the thoughts of millions of girls/women/mothers in India and around the World…..I feel sick hearing of such brutal acts committed by men in our country and how the blame eventually falls on the victim.On the whole I feel that the entire nation is an unsafe place for women-not just Delhi or Mumbai but even small towns in Gods own country Kerala are seething with sick men always wanting to take advantage of women….I feel that it will be too late when people begin to realize that it is not women who should be blamed ,families should take responsibility and give their male children an upbringing that would help them to see women in a different light and not just as objects to satisfy their primeval instincts…..After years of living in fear , because like you said such incidents could happen to anyone ,I am finally in a country where I feel a lot safer but the occasional stares from people still makes me uncomfortable…..I hope those monsters are stoned to death in public……

Dhara December 21, 2012 at 9:30 am

This so scary…have been feeling so numb and scared ever since I got to know of this incident…This can very well happen to me or daughter…I know for sure that she won’t be staying with me for the rest of her life…she is going to grow up, go away to some big city for studies, work and all that and I will forever be restless hoping and praying that she is safe…No doubt something can happen to her even while she’s with me but with recent happening, we know that metro cities have a higher rate of crime. We are NOT safe anywhere and makes me feel so inferior and angry that though we live in a free country, we don’t have the freedom to do whatever we want. I wish there was something I could do to punish the rapists and their ‘supporters’ ( read police acc. to But all I can do is stay alert, carry a pepper spray with me everytime I go out and morever carry the guts to fight back.

I urge all the girls to take self defense lessons…trust me when I say, it helps. I have been learning Karate since I was 4 and even though I cannot beat a guy to pulp, I can put up a fight. Learn some type of martial art girls, it is the need of time. Start now…there is no age to take up something new…with that will come the confidence and strength to face the problem if ever it finds you…

Help others…not by putting your own life at stake, but help however you can…This recent victim and her male friends were naked on the road for a lot of time before they got help. If the rapists are inhuman then the passers by and onlookers are inhuman too if they didn’t help…

Zahra December 21, 2012 at 10:09 am

Well said Mehak….. the first time I read about this incident, I couldn’t stop shivering…I can’t even begin to imagine the horror and pain that girl went through.
Not to mention that if she makes it through, she will still die a thousand deaths each day…how do you get something like this out of your mind?? She’ll be tagged “The Delhi gangrape victim” all her life. How brutal can it get….to suffer and get branded for something you have no control over. People are talking about the noose for those b******s, but I think that’s too humane.
Indians, stop telling me and other women to dress modestly and stay at home….teach your precious sons to respect women and behave like gentlemen.

Vaishnavi December 21, 2012 at 10:57 am

Barbaric bastards!!
Oh! This also makes me wonder how on earth will someone have the courage to foster & mother a girl child. I am so not confident of getting a girl into this world when such monsters lurk about. And this, when I am not married…how do mothers confidently send their daughters out (mine, included)

And gives me more than a thought to shift, out of this country which is home. If you are not safe at home, where will you be?

sharona December 21, 2012 at 4:50 pm

This is the reason why you or any self respecting woman should not partake of things like karva chauth…. which are festivals aimed at patriarchy and reinforce the fact that men are superior.
You know why you have far worse atrocities against women in North India than elsewhere…. extreme patriarchy, men are superior , women are inferior drilled into every man, woman and child either directly or subtly (read festivals aimed at making men feel superior).

For perspective , please read

also highly recommended reading for any woman … Who cooked the last supper? womens history of the world by Rosalind Miles. Try it you wont be disappointed.

P.M December 22, 2012 at 9:33 pm

This is one of my first posts on any blog….though…i have lurked around blogs for the longest time….I like this space for its friendly vibe…and it suits my vanity and sanity vibe too…
my take on the topic-

Ismi December 23, 2012 at 7:01 am

I feel the best defense would be a pepper spray…. I walk 15 mins to the bus station every morning with a pepper spray that my friend gifted me! They are readily available here in states, girls in India can order them through ebay or amazon, but I feel that Indian police should disburse pepper spray to each and every girl in Delhi and other cities.

thebengalibride December 26, 2012 at 1:05 am

I just hope your christmas wish comes true …