Decor Diaries: Corner Spaces

by mehak on February 7, 2013

in Uncategorized

Home Improvement has taken a bit of a backseat of late, for no other reason except for my complete lack of interest in it recently. Thats my biggest problem really- i start a project, i obsess over it, i dream about it, i eat, breathe, live that project…then i get bored and toss it away. Yeah, Home improvement is in the getting bored space as of now …so maybe updating the Decor Diaries will give me some inspiration and push to do more !!

For now though, Lets talk about corners baby ! I love corners- i mean when i eat pizza, i always nibble on the corners, i even like the corners of toasted bread that people toss away ! Yup  im a corner girl alright …and in my house too i think some corners have more attention to them as compared to the main spaces itself ! I still want some more items in corners- moroccan lamps hanging in one corner, a rug with cushions thrown on it in my bedroom corner, a reading corner with a quilt, a lampshade and a rocking chair etc etc ! But for now, with whatever little iv done…here are some of what my corners look like!

Corner 1: The Parisian Corner

Okay, so there’s nothing Parisian about it, but the flowers and the white on white give it a more girly, soft feel to it right? I actually saw these gorgeous white tiles which had these french marketplaces and shops drawn on them with enamel and glass paint and i want to kind of make a feature wall on the left with those. Those are white, purple and mint green too so i thought they would go with the rest of the theme. Right now i cant decide whether i want to do more here or less. I like differing heights in decor- i think its interesting to have varied heights so your eye moves across all of those, so i was even contemplating like a planter on the floor but left it thinking it might get too much. You may recognise the mirror and the vase from the entrance way  in which it was earlier kept

Corner 2: The Zen Corner

Speaking of entrance way, that’s what the entranceway corner currently looks like. Yeah i removed the vase and the mirror from here and added a Buddha, a planter and a painting painted by me ! The Buddha was added not only because i feel like the stone used has a lot of character, but i sometimes do Buddhist chanting, and everytime i see this in the morning i remember that i need to pray today and get some spirituality in my life ! I earlier got a bigger planter, but it almost looked like i was re-creating Bodh Gaya or something, so i just got a smaller one instead.

The painting on the top is what I painted and gifted to the boys parents when I first went into their house with my mum and dad. Then I got married and took it back. Lol. Kidding, the boy wanted it in this house.

Corner 3: The utility corner

This corner, is right next to our dining table, and it serves a whole lot of purposes. First of all that cabinet stocks all my crockery, table mats, table linen etc. The drawers in the cabinet stock bits of odds and ends that the boy keeps leaving around and i need to quickly stash inside. Im not even sure whats in it at the moment.

This Home Sweet Home Plaque was a gift from my moms friend. It was probably the first ‘Home’ gift i had recieved and i had it even when we had no sofas or furniture etc. So i guess its kind of special because even in an empty house, this little hanging was always there somewhere reminding us that no matter what state it is in right now, its still our home!

And you see that little basket at the bottom. This is EXTREMELY important in or house since all papers are stored here. The problem with men is – they become oblivious to how much paper they are surrounded with. They’ll read the morning news, toss it on the table, and the next day toss the next mornings paper right on top of the current days paper . Quite frustrating. SO i got this holder so whoever finds paper/magazines lying around (aka me) can quickly store it here neatly. Then after a month or so we just toss out the papers we dont need.
Proposed Corner  4: Picture Wall : That’s what the next corner is going to be. A picture wall of me, him, parents, friends and siblings. Should be fun!

Other Corner Decorating Ideas

I came across these really great corner solutions online. When i have my own home, these are what i would like my corners to be

This is a simple, functional idea. A vase with a really really high planter. Or poky thing. Whatever its called.decorating-corners1

Isnt this a great corner? Just a piece of art stashed in the corner with some side tables.corner1

This corner i NEED to have, no matter where i stay. Such a cosy reading nook !!! Me. Cup of Coffee, Warm Blanket and the latest whodunnit. Or Ayn Rand when im feeling intellectual. Which is rare.

I love white. I can have an all white house with maybe just one tiny splash of color, except we live in India and white gets dirty so quickly !!!! So its kind of impractical but, yes. White on White corners all the way!

Tanvi February 7, 2013 at 9:28 pm

I have been re-docrating my house too. So this is great … I have so many ideas, I keep moving things around. Love the Zen corner.

∞ © ∞

mehak February 8, 2013 at 9:53 am

Thanks Tanvi! Would love tos ee your house for sure!

Richa Saxena February 7, 2013 at 9:43 pm

I loved the cosy reading nook!! Its Just looks so so cozy….

Preeti Kaur February 7, 2013 at 9:46 pm

Nicely put and great ideas :) I loved your painting. No wonder you are so artistic ;)

Mounisha February 7, 2013 at 10:25 pm

From where did u get dat floral mirror ??

Vipra February 7, 2013 at 10:41 pm

I loved The Parisian Corner – Especially the mirror :)

Great idea behind the Paper basket.

Swati February 7, 2013 at 11:18 pm

Every time i read about your decor diaries.. I can’t wait to have my own home and start decorating it.
Your corners look lovely!

niya February 7, 2013 at 11:20 pm

Hey its always a pleasure to read your blogs..more so with the decor diaries coz i love new decor ideas as well..Your wishlist reminded me of the subtle changes I tried to bring about at my of them being painting a wall red and putting put an assortment of pictures..Although I have done that with similar frames ,I really think that absolutely contrasting frames would look even better :)
P.S : I really liked how you placed the Budhha next to the planter !!

Sukanya February 7, 2013 at 11:20 pm

I love that paper storage idea.. the painting is really good ! <3

thedelhibride February 7, 2013 at 11:26 pm

Firstly, I LOVE that mirror! It’s sooo pretty, and floral, and girly, and pretttyyyy!
And girl, you’ve got mad skills! What an amazing painting!!! Maybe you should take that up too – I’ll be your first buyer!

mehak February 8, 2013 at 9:55 am

haha nah..i take like 3 months to paint one tiny ainting and then i cant part with it !

Ruchi February 7, 2013 at 11:37 pm

Ahaan so you are a painter too… You never cease to amaze.. blogger, corporate biggie, wedding planner, interior decorater and… Good hai….
I really like the last and before that image.. Yeah you are right about the managing white stuff… Keep up the good work and inspire yourself and us to decorate our houses… :)

Rajvi Bhow February 7, 2013 at 11:48 pm

I’m really impressed! you are one multi talented girl, you paint, write, all the corneres and what’s the best is that each one is so different from the other.. where did you get the cabinet in corner 3 from? looks very vintage and nice..

Shang J. February 7, 2013 at 11:54 pm

The floral mirror looks pretty. I am loving your ideas. x

Ikya February 8, 2013 at 1:45 am

Good Lord! Our tastes are so similar! I’m in the middle of doing our house too. Nothing for a while, but hope to resume it soon! Working on other houses right now! I need a break from cement concrete and – sections and look at pretty curtains, bed spreads, vases and stuff like that! :/ but nothing I’m doing is in that stage yet! there’s just walls and flooring and windows! I want to finish fastlyyy! Ok! Done venting a freelance architect’s voes!

mehak February 8, 2013 at 9:54 am

I will call upon your qualifications when i have my own home ! haha !

Ikya February 8, 2013 at 12:53 pm

Haha that’d be awesome!

Marathi Weddings February 8, 2013 at 8:54 am

Loved the corners of your house. You have painted the buddha statue so well. The cabinet is awesome. I have a picture wall too!! :) You inspired me to get that reading corner. If I ever have something similar, I can stay in that chair forever!! ;)

mehak February 8, 2013 at 9:50 am

Hehe i didnt paint the buddha stature, i did the painting.

Pinkalicious February 8, 2013 at 10:14 am

Loved the ideas as always! Really wish it was easier to do DIY home improvement projects in India like bookshelves and bay windows. The high point of the post is your watercolour painting! Are you a trained painter? Always wanted to do something like this.. You are an inspiration!

mehak February 8, 2013 at 10:31 am

I had art as a subject in school..i gae my board exams in art, so yes you could say im trained in that sense but at a school level.

Vineetha February 8, 2013 at 10:54 am

Hehe… Any such post is indeed incomplete without that girly vase na Mehak! :-)

gk February 8, 2013 at 11:06 am

wow.Mehak simply great.. i loved all of it. was waiting for a long time for this.. there was a silver bag in the hall that you had shown us last time and said we have to wait for it. i was waiting for it all this while..

abhi February 8, 2013 at 11:28 am

wow!! that painting is gorgeous…ur so super talented….
love the zen corner too :)

Shikha February 8, 2013 at 2:35 pm

The Zen Corner looks so beautiful.. I love Buddha statue and small bonsai plant

sakhi February 8, 2013 at 2:47 pm

beautiful..and the best is ur painting

Orangepink February 8, 2013 at 7:00 pm

Lovely Painting Mehak… And tht floral mirror is soo adorable..