Mehendi Outfit Ideas for Brides to Be!

by mehak on February 1, 2013

in Bridal Blog, Bridal fashion, Uncategorized

Iv said it before- Mehendi was torture for me ! 6 hours of squiggly lines, no matter how gorgeous it was….i literally wanted to whack my mehendiéd hand into my mehendi artists face !! (I was a violent bride!) But whether you love or hate Mehendi, you cant deny that the Mehendi event is a really fun, relaxed function ! All your close friends and family, dressed up in bright colors,  tapping their feet to DDLJ’s Mehendi Laga ke Rakhna (Even 10 years on, thats still a Mehendi staple for me)

Finding something suitable to wear for this function is a tricky job. What should you wear so that you are comfortable enough to dance around , but also get mehendi put on your hands and feet. You dont want to be tied down with something overly complicated and smudge your mehendi in the process, but you still need to look like a bride and enjoy with your family. Over the past couple of months, iv attended so many mehendi functions, with so many different looks that i wish i had put more thought into my own mehendi outfit- which i just kind of threw together ! SO this is a requested post from a bride to be -Divya, who wantes some ideas!
mehendi-lehengas (1)

1. A light, Bright, Multicolored Lehenga: The Mehendi function is all about being bright, peppy with an Indian Touch! you can wear a super bright, multicolored lehenga in contrasting colors to set that fun, Indian Spirit alive. The lightness of the skirt lets you flow and float around and a sleeveless blouse ensures your mehendi ggoes on perfectly. You can even make the skirt in crinkled fabric with lots of layers !

A gorgeous pink lacha!

2. A Pakistani Suit with Pallazos : Bored of Lehengas? Get a pretty pakistani style suits stitched with wide legged pants called Pallazos . The pallazos let the mehendi go on your feet without a hassle as they are not tight around your ankle like a churidar. The flowy pakistani silhouette lets you move around and dance

3.The Sexy Bride’s “Slitted’ Mehendi Lehenga:  A tiny blouse, and a skirt with a long slit, is what i saw on a recent bride. While the style is not for me,  She had on a jewelled Sabya blouse for the top and a plain velvet skirt at the bottom with a slit and she really carried it off. You can keep the skirt straight if you dont want the ultra-flarey look but get a long slit upto your knee so putting mehendi is easier !!

4.The kurti with 3/4 churidar: Just get your favourite neon pink kurti out, make sure its sleeveless, and get it made with 3 quarter style pants!

5. The Short Lehenga: Another popular option these days is to get a lehenga choli stitched with the lehenga just being flared out like a skirt till below your knees. You know the ‘munni badnaam ‘ lehenga? Well, sort of what malaika wore in that , except wth a longer top and in bright, classier and more vibrant colors. This is what my cousin wore, and she looked gorgeous! My only issue is that with this kind of an outfit, you can really wear it again!

6. Phoolon ki Jewellery: One of the prettiest trends is to wear jewellery made out of real flowers on your wedding day. A string of yellow flowers around your neck, some around your hair and a single one as a maang tikka completes the indian princess look!

gota-jewellery8.Gota Jewellery: This is the latest trend to hit Mehendi events, and i LOVE it ! Jewellery and hairbands is made out of bright gold/silver  Gota cut into earrings, necklaces and rings !!!OMG the hairbands are so funky , it makes me wanna buy one just aivee! These photos are from Nino’s Creations

If you are an NRI reading this and would like help with Bridal shopping in Delhi or would like to get something made from New Delhi be it your bridal lehenga or your sangeet outfit, read more about our Personalised Bridal Shopping Service

Embellished February 1, 2013 at 8:40 pm

It’s so nice that you’re still keeping up with the bridal posts :)

Sukanya February 1, 2013 at 8:40 pm

The gota jewellery idea is totally fab !! Flowers are pretty..but again, can get bothering when you have to sit for such long hours ! For my Mehendi ,I am planning for vibrant colored ( lime green/yellow/orange) flowy skirt.. with a sleeveless top !..umm may be a halter or a corset !

Peachesandblush February 2, 2013 at 10:46 am

Yeah bright colors look great on mehendi…and yes the flowers can get cumbersome

shruti February 1, 2013 at 8:51 pm

Hey Mehak,
I love pakistani suits in general and have been longing to get one. I tried to get one stitched with wide pallazo pants but the tailor didn’t really nail the cut and the length of the pants. Any idea if I can get it in Delhi? I am not sure but is there a Pakistani boutique in South ex now?

mehak February 1, 2013 at 10:41 pm

Hey Shruti, I loved them too!
Yep There is one in South ex but its very bridal…and everything there si a minimum of 1.5 Lakhs but the stuff is like INSANELY gorgeous !!! The intricacy is mind blowing…There is one boutique who does great like pakistani suits…Rabha’s by Ekta ….Apart from that its more like these local women who source fabrics from pakistan and get it stitched..there are usually some in every locality…theres a nice on in gurgaon

shruti February 1, 2013 at 11:17 pm

Thanks Mehak! You are such a wealth of info! :D
Any idea what the name of the boutique is south ex. I’m sure it’ll be easy to find- south ex is not that huge anyway.
Also, where is this other boutique you mentioned? rabha’s by ekta?

Peachesandblush February 2, 2013 at 1:00 am

PFDC The Boulevard…same road as frontier, but just on the right of the U turn….
Rabhas by ekta is in Sukhdev nagar :S iv only seen her in multiple exhibitions

aditi February 2, 2013 at 10:46 pm

Hey mehak…Rabhas by ekta is in Sukhdev Vihar (near escorts hospital)..

Orangepink February 1, 2013 at 9:29 pm

Beautiful post mehak n i luved the multicolored lehengas.

Richa Saxena February 1, 2013 at 10:26 pm

I liked the colors of the short lehenga…very elegant!

Swati February 1, 2013 at 10:33 pm

Very lovely post! I loved the 1st bright green lehenga and the gota jewellry. Marriage is a long way for now.. but I am so coming back to read all your bridal posts whenever it happens! :)

Sandhya February 1, 2013 at 10:59 pm

Hi Mehak,.
Love the first mehndi green lehenga… so bright and feminine.. You mentioned about a tailor in Gurgaon that makes nice cuts with salwars/anarkalis etc. Can you mention her/her shop ‘s name? I would like to get some of my materials stitched when I come there.

Peachesandblush February 2, 2013 at 1:01 am

Hey Sandhya,
There are many here write me an email

kriti February 1, 2013 at 11:04 pm

wow….gr8 …really loved the pakistani suit idea…

MissBoPeep February 2, 2013 at 1:47 am

Oh I so love the Gotta work. Kurti with 3/4 bottoms is a great idea.
I am kinda bored with the flower jewellery these days. Every seems wearing it. Aishwarya Rai at her mehendi. Latest was Vidya Balan who looked terrible with it. I know a lot of commoners who wore it too. The Shakuntala style ;)

Peachesandblush February 2, 2013 at 10:45 am

I know Vidya Balan really messed up the flower just didnt look nice pn her

Shilpi February 2, 2013 at 7:29 am

I doubt myself wthr i m a girl or not coz i nvr wnt 2 get married. But still i waaaaant all this nowww…

mehak February 2, 2013 at 10:48 am

Lol i never wanted to either !!!! I was never the types who would dream of a wedding , but when it happened i became OBSESSED !

Marathi Weddings February 2, 2013 at 8:52 am

So happy to see a wedding post!! I loved the bright pink one in the first pic. I wore a lehenga I designed which turned out to be different and cost effective.

Crazy Indian Bride February 2, 2013 at 1:35 pm

Don’t you think a slited lehenga might cause wardrobe malfunction?? would have to be really careful! :P

love the short lehengha, wanted one for my mehendi too but then ended up making a long one only coz its more useful later

aditi February 2, 2013 at 2:25 pm

I didnt quite understand the kurti with 3/4 churidar …

mehak February 2, 2013 at 10:29 pm

Its just like a regular suitka kurta but instead of full lenght churidar you have 3/4 lenght
didnt find a pic

Rajvi February 2, 2013 at 2:53 pm

I would also suggest to wear a sleeveless outfit.. I never thought about my mehendi outfit and chose a 3/4th sleeve one and it was really tough getting into it and outside it with all my mehendi -ed hands.. I would suggest a nice highneck sleeveless kruta with either 3/4 pants or wear the kuta only as an ankle length maxi..

Sumathi February 2, 2013 at 8:04 pm

I love these wedding functions.. Sad we don’t have a mehendi ceremony.. But I’m gonna have one when I get married :)

Nitya February 2, 2013 at 8:57 pm

I din have a mehendi function per se, but we had it for my sis wedding, it was fun! But mehendi sure is cumbersome…Dont you think so?

thevowsandbeyond February 3, 2013 at 8:07 pm

I made it a point to get my mehendi applied in the day in the cofort of home. That way, the mehendi was dry by the eneving and I was able to go to the salon to get dressed up and get my hair / makeup done. Got this tip from a cousin and it worked out well. I was able to freely walk around at the event, dance, eat and all.

Anshita @Vanity No Apologies February 3, 2013 at 8:33 pm

im myself a fan of gota. and shut up you looked gr8 on ur mehendi!

M February 4, 2013 at 11:08 am

Hey Hey! The Pink Masaba Lehenga is what she customized for my mehendi (and then mass produced!!)..only I chose a kesari mango lehenga with the green choli! Love the fact that its here!!

mehak February 4, 2013 at 11:45 am

OOh nice ! I think masabas a good choice to go for affordable mehendi wear. Nikasha tawadey is nice too, but masabas affordable..i loved the work on the green choli

Mrinalini February 6, 2013 at 1:02 pm

I love Nikasha too and Preeti Kapoor..unfortunately both in Delhi and they barely stock in bombay!
Masaba is awesome! she did a lot of stuff for me and half my family..and since my wedding was in Goa her clothes in terms of colour and fabric worked brilliantly.

Ya..the detailing on the green blouse is gorgeous ..i’m looking for a reason to wear it again!

Just a thought, maybe you could do a post on reusing those insane wedding outfits we fall in love with and buy only to probably never wear again!!

nareen February 6, 2013 at 1:37 am

thanku for liking my gotta jewelery:)

aditi February 23, 2013 at 1:51 pm

hey mehak , can u pls give information about the yearly exhibitions at diffferent hotels in deli ,and the timing of such exhibitions . also i need a lehanga or anarkali withn a budget of 15k for my cousin’s wedding ,pls suggest some nice shops , my email id

Chandan March 7, 2013 at 4:16 pm

Hey Mehak – Do you know where to get the phoolon ki jewellery from for the Mehendi?

mehak March 7, 2013 at 5:51 pm

Contact a local patrlour…they sometimes agree to do it for you.

Anisha September 17, 2014 at 2:53 pm

I live in Kolkata. Can you please let me know if there is anywhere in India from where I can get gota jewellery made?