P&B Poll: Would You Consider Doing Your Own Bridal Makeup?

by Mehak Shahani on February 10, 2013

in Poll

I did consider it. Honestly, sometimes i wish i had, because i didnt love my makeup on both of my functions. I just had to make do with whatever i could find in Hyderabad :( But i guess  its easier for me to say this now. I know i would have lost it with stress on the wedding day if i had left it to myself to do all of that.

[poll id="13"]

Ikya February 10, 2013 at 11:09 pm

I would consider it. Definitely. Because I know what looks best on me and I know my face and have these tried and tested products that shouldn’t go wrong. But then I know of these really good makeup artists, so may be not. I’m used to the last minute rush but then with all that elaborate hair stuff south Indian brides have, I don’t think I would be able to do anything. And the stress can make anything go wrong. So. Wow! I’m confused!
Ikya recently posted..Maybelline ColorSensational Lipgloss Cranberry CocktailMy Profile

Peachesandblush February 10, 2013 at 11:28 pm

Yeah i thikn hair is an issue..mabe hire someone for hair and do the makeup yourself?

Ikya February 11, 2013 at 10:51 am

Ya ya, hair definitely I’ll get it done. But I meant that with the heavy hair, it might be difficult to do makeup! Haha

Keerthi February 11, 2013 at 6:38 pm

I considered it too Ikya….not because I knew best but just bcoz I though i knew better than most lades I had a trial with :))
Ultimately on the D-day I was sooo glad I didnt bcoz in all that stress I wouldnt have been able to draw a straight line on my eye…she did almost 10 retakes and got me my purrfect winged eyeliner <3

Ansh@Vanity No Apologies February 10, 2013 at 11:50 pm

I can consider it since dey are so overpriced. but on my wedding i think i can splurge ;)
Ansh@Vanity No Apologies recently posted..Kareena Kapoor ~ Painting The Town RedMy Profile

Nivedita February 11, 2013 at 12:00 am

Having been watching the works of MUAs in Kolkata — both the individual acclaimed ones and the salons and the small ones. I realized, I am happiest and most satisfied doing my own makeup because I have my own style. Plus, even the not-so-famous ones do a job which is not better than mine ( I am not bragging, but my observation). In fact, I had to redo or touch up the makeup of the bride and the cousins in a few weddings in my own family. The minimum cost of an artist starts from 4-5K. I would rather spend that on a good kitty give some trials on the look I want to create or save it for a haul and do my own makeup instead.
Nivedita recently posted..FACES Cosmetics launches 10 new professional range of makeup brushesMy Profile

Nivedita February 11, 2013 at 12:01 am

Oh, and for the famous ones, I can’t honestly afford to spend 8K or 10K for one look for one night!

Sukanya February 11, 2013 at 12:52 am

I agree with Nivs… I did a post on bridal mua’s in kolkata yesterday! the best one’s charge 8k , when done in their studio. So, its actually pretty much cheaper than other metro’s in India! Amidst all the bridal craziness n emotional stuff.. I don’t think I will be able to keep my cool. Hiring a pro mua is the best option (who is willing to hear you). I have already booked one for the engagement :)
Sukanya recently posted..Lakme EyeConic Kajal Review & SwatchesMy Profile

Sukanya February 11, 2013 at 1:02 am

typo * replace the ‘so’ with ‘but’ …. duh!
Oh n one thing.. within 8k they do all your hair,makeup draping + if you book for 2/3 occasions they offer pretty discounts!
Sukanya recently posted..Lakme EyeConic Kajal Review & SwatchesMy Profile

Ash February 11, 2013 at 3:01 am

No way! There was enough on my mind in any case. I got my makeup done from Meenakshi Dutt and all I can say is that the woman has magic in her hands. Plus, her hair stylists are experts who came up with the most elaborate and beautiful hair dos!
Ash recently posted..Mac Russian Red- Lip swatch!My Profile

kayennat February 11, 2013 at 3:58 am

I actually did my own makeup for all my wedding functions. I had a make up trial with a really good MUA but I decided I looked better when I do my own makeup anyway! Because I am used to getting ready for wedding and other functions (plus I normally end up doing other people’s make up on a regular basis) I didnt feel stressed or anything, plus my own sister who is equally as good as applying makeup was there on hand in case I had any issues :) It was so worth it as I looked like ME! (A LOT of muas make you look like someone totally different!

Nigar May 13, 2013 at 4:01 am

Thanks bro ;)
You were beautiful! Like always

Shikha February 11, 2013 at 8:22 am

Nahhh… Its difficult to manage on ur own with so much anxiety and such heavy clothes on its not just makeup, there is hairstyle, pinning up etc which required expert hands..
Shikha recently posted..Valentine Day LOTD :-)My Profile

Marathi Weddings February 11, 2013 at 10:00 am

Even if I was good at make-up application I would have hired somebody for the main wedding event. The wedding day goes in a blur. All I did was “NOTHING” and still was so busy throughout. Although, I feel every bride should be able to do her own makeup for smaller events.
Marathi Weddings recently posted..SnapDeal’s Wedding specialMy Profile

Orangepink February 11, 2013 at 10:00 am

Not at all… I can’t even think abt doing my own makeup. I’ll just sit and let others pamper me:)
Orangepink recently posted..Sabyasachi’s Feminist ManifestoMy Profile

Vijaya Suryavanshi February 11, 2013 at 10:43 am

My wedding make up was by a Delhi MUA ( I will not like to hurt her feelings by posting the name here). I trusted the MUA based on her reviews(even on ur blog mehek), so I let her do what she wanted with me. It was not my best look, and I looked pretty dark in it.My hairstyle did not go well with my face cut. I have looked much better in other people’s weddings!

After the jaimala, my sisters re-did my make up as I changed my costume for phera. Everyone loved me in that. So yes, we can do without MUA. Only if I had thought of it before my wedding disaster.

My makeup by the MUA:

My makeup that my sisters did:

Tina February 11, 2013 at 11:23 am

I went all traditional Bengali bride on my wedding, so there was the traditional ‘konechandan’ or sandalwood design on my face, I don’t think I could do a good job of it on my own face, though I have done it for others. Also, hair is really a big issue, so is saree draping. :D

Rajvi Bhow February 11, 2013 at 12:01 pm

oh no no! i don’t think its a good idea as getting the right eyemakeup needs a lot of perfection.. and hair and draping too..besides i was quite happy with mine.
Rajvi Bhow recently posted..Zumbaaaaa!! My favourite workout!My Profile

Crazy Indian Bride February 11, 2013 at 12:45 pm

ooh I could never take that risk!

I did my own makeup on Mehendi but to do so on the D day would have been too risky!
Crazy Indian Bride recently posted..SALE and Exhibition Alert!!My Profile

vijetha February 11, 2013 at 2:26 pm

I did my own makeup on my wedding day! and I’ve never regretted it…i had a South Indian wedding and i wanted to to look a fresh but natural bride…i went to MAC in Blore and had a long disc with an extremely friendly MUA der and he helped me decide on my makeup and also did my face to help me get an idea…i spent like 11k for MAC powder, liners, pigments and some good brushes…he also helped me with suggestions for honeymoon makeup (beach destination)…obviously MUAs do it better, but i did a decent job too

I rly think its worth trying to do your own makeup on your wedding day to avoid looking too bright, too madeup and too uncomfortable with your face… moreover, you can always ask your photographer to give your pics soft finish to achieve that serene look without loads of makeup!

Ruchi February 11, 2013 at 3:19 pm

I think makeup can be handled, but for hair, dupatta draping et al i’ll require help. :)
Ruchi recently posted..Plants to plantMy Profile

Purva February 11, 2013 at 3:34 pm

I hired a MUA for my enagagement. I didnt have time to go for a trial but before finalising her, I’d a long telephonic chat with her regarding what I want. My engagement was a very small function with just around 50 odd people including our family. I would have done my face myself, but I had a recent bout of acne and hence felt a professional would hide them better. But she ended up irritating my face by excessive rubbing. I wanted to let my hair loose with a wavy blow dry (I’ve curly hair), but she tried to make some puff in front with me looking like cruella!!!
I had to redo everything..my makeup, my hair and I was super late for the engagement. So late that the Boy called me saying dont do a runwaya bride on me!!!
I really dont want a repeat of this now. For my wedding, which is in Chandigarh, i’ll get trials done before hand and if i’m in doubt i’ll just get a hair stylist and will do my make up myself. For reception, I’m doing everything on my own.

sunidhi July 31, 2013 at 12:19 am

Hey, which MUA did you use in chandigarh finally? I am getting married and am trying to find one here. Your help will be appreciated.

Sanya Rai February 11, 2013 at 4:32 pm

I would definitley consider doing my bridal make-up myself. One of my friends did her make-up herself on her wedding. AQctually the main problem is to assemble all those beauty products. But she bought Oriflame Studio Artist Range and it turned out great. Yes! I think anybody can go for it after two three YouTube tutorials.

Tanya Appachu February 11, 2013 at 7:49 pm

Purva – please tell me the make up artists you know of in Chandigarh.. Im from pune and pretty clueless about whom to contact..Im getting married there! .. And i dont want to spend a bomb on make up either..If anyone could help! plsssss..
Intend to do the make up for smaller functions myself.. but well the main day.. not too sure.. maybe if i follow more of Mehak’s blog and make up tips would gather some confidence about what to do ;)

priya February 12, 2013 at 1:53 am

YES! will surely do my makeup on my wedding day n every special ocassion, I can’t even imagine nione else doing my makeup, super comfortable with the idea :)
priya recently posted..Movie Review of ABCDMy Profile

Neeraj February 12, 2013 at 3:58 am

U might kill the business of a lot of makeup artists in iNdia..LOL…Agreed they are unnecessarily and overtly priced but sometime a bit of PRO help is required to make the pictures stay forever.
Would u pardon yourself if the makeup you did turned out to be a disaster? And if you are stalwart and can handle peer pressure before the pheras and all then you should consider doing ur own makeup.
Neeraj recently posted..Valentine’s Day Look #1 – Le SmokeMy Profile

priya February 13, 2013 at 9:58 am

Ha ha! Am sorry no intention of killing the business of Makeup Artists Neeraj but have been doing my makeup for last 7 years n have experienced last minute pressures of getting ready on stage shows n conferences as well, it’s just that I’m in my comfort zone when it comes to doing my own makeup n someone else too for that matter that’s all, bdw looking at the list of beauty lovers there is no way makeup artists will be outta business nitime soon :) TC
priya recently posted..Movie Review of ABCDMy Profile

vineetha February 12, 2013 at 7:07 pm

I didnt even consider the options because that is one tension I didnt want (whether it will come out fine or not). In worst case, I can just blame the MUA and say she did all the goof Up…
Btw I was late to my wedding bec my MUA did not finish on time ! everyone thought i was planning a runaway bride ha!
vineetha recently posted..Clarins Double Serum reviewMy Profile

Karishma February 13, 2013 at 2:27 am

I guess I will hire an MUA with whom I would have done a couple of sessions before. Just one trial session and then the getting it done on the big day is risky.
Karishma recently posted..Guilt trip- The ultimate foodie heavenMy Profile