The Best & Worst of : Lakme Products !

by mehak on February 12, 2013

in Lakme

lakme1 While Lakme may have undergone a transformation more dramatic than Karisma Kapoor’s makeover in the nineties (Bye Bye undone eyebrows and big hair. Hello sleek, straight hair in Raja Hindustani!) , its still the one brand that will link you, your mom and possibly even your grandma together ! Here are my picks for the best and worst of Lakme Products. Tell me yours in the comments below !

The  Best of Lakme

• Lakme Kiss of a Rose Cream Blush

The first cream blush, in the fantasy collection range has become a dressing table staple for me. Though it has hardened over time, it blends nicely, it imparts a beautiful neutral pink flush and is overall such a great value for money product.

• Lakme Absolute Blushes

Always said these were highly under-rated ! Nice color pay off, with shimmer that gives a gorgeous glow and sheen to the cheek!

• Lakme Absolute Matte Lipsticks

They last a decent amount of time,  can be built up for coverage, and are moisturizing soft mattes that give a beautiful stained look on your lips. Just wish the colors they had in these were better. Theyv gone and launched a whole range of purples in this which i dont really understand.

• Lakme Eyeconic Kajal / Lakme Black Satin

If you can deal with the removal issues with this Eyeconic, this is a fantastic kajal. Long lasting, intensely black and soft to apply. If smudgy , soft kohl is what you are after then Black Satin is a great bet!

• Lakme Insta Liner:

Best Budget Liner according to me. Super easy to apply, with a thin brush and a makeup staple in my bag.

•  Lakme Lip love Lipstick

Even with the cheesy packaging, i actually really liked these lipsticks!!! Aphrodite Blush and Rose Kissed from this range continue to be some of my all tim favourite lipsticks!

• Lakme Earth Rose Trio

Swirls of dusty pink, caramel and sandy beige together made this a super flattering blush for indian skin tones!! Still love this, just wish it lasted longer

The In Between

• Lakme Absolute Lipglosses
  • While i adore how these hug your lips and how pretty that shimmer inside them is, they need to expand the color range and these are a bit on the sheer side. Still is definitely up there in some of my nicer glosses though.
  • Lakme Invisible Finish Foundation
  • I actually love everything about this foundation- the nice healthy glow it gives you and how moisturising it is. Except it doesn’t last and it tends to transfer on to things. If they just tweaked its sturdiness i think we would have a winner!

• Lakme Forever Silk Eyeliners
  • I absolutely love Jaded Mint in this one which is this gorgeous emerald green !! These are super soft to apply and quit pigmented, but they have some flakiness and fallout issues. Plus theyr hard to remove sometimes

• Lakme Eyeconic Mascara:
  • Decently priced,  and it defines ans seperates the lashed well though it falls short in the volume department. If a nice everyday , milk mascara is what you are looking for you may like this !

• Lakme Perfect Radiance Multi Mineral Compact
  • Definitely one of the best budget compacts in the market. Smooth to apply, non cakey, with decent coverage. Nuf said

• Lakme Silk Naturelle Foundation:
  • I don’t know if they even continue to sell this, but for a long time this was my everyday work staple. Just a light to medium coverage foundation that acted as a tinted moisturizer in summer months. Super cheap too!

The Worst of Lakme

• Lakme Lip Last: Its like manual labour getting these to work ! Keep going clickety click till some thin runny fluid comes out that is non moisturizing, and hardly has enough pigment. No thank you!.
  • Lakme All Over Shimmer Body Gloss

They tried to pass this off as a highlighter, but honestly it just makes your skin look oily not glowy! The rainbow colored sheen in the liquid that is supposed to highlight dies down and after about an hour your skin looks greasy where this has been applied.

• Lakme Fantasy Collection SHimmer Dust Bronzer

Sprayed with chunky glitter all across the top of the pan ensures that you need to do a lot of work before you can actually enjoy the colors of the bronzer which are not half bad, but with the chunkiness of the glitter they really get killed !!

• Lakme Absolute Baked Eyeshadows/ Lakme Eyeshadow Quads

I just didnt get these ! They seemed way to shimmery in a tacky sort of a way, and i didnt like the colors they came up with ! Im not a fan of the quads either. I feel like eyeshadow is a department Lakme really needs to work on.

•  Lakme 9 to 5 Flawless Radiance Creme to Powder Compact

Ugh. Dont like this at all. Actually don’t like the entire 9 to 5 range to be honest. This is just so hard to apply, its like do you apply it after foundation because this is all creamy and looks like foundation itself. Or do you apply it with a wet sponge in which case it looks streaky . Plus this melts and doesn’t hold up at all

What i Would Like to See From Lakme in the Future

• A Nude Eyeshadow Palette with soft, pigmented and buttery eyeshadows- the colors should range from golds to browns to coppers and champagne shades!
  • A Mascara with full on Volume to give competition to Maybelline COllosal.
  • More fun collections, with nice packaging and peppy , bright colors. Absolute was nice, but they just didnt cash in with Lipstick Shade
  • A Soft Rose Gold Highighter without chunky shimmer

* All of the above are obviously based on the products i have tried. Anything i havent tried hasn’t been mentioned in the post! What would your best/worst of Lakme be?

Orangepink February 12, 2013 at 11:04 am

Very Detailed post Mehak… Though i’m not a Lakme fan but, now I’ll definatly try few products tht you recommended specially Creme Blush and eyeliner. Thankx for this informative post.

Peachesandblush February 12, 2013 at 11:51 am

yr welcome!

gk February 12, 2013 at 11:40 am

Thanks Mehak, that was quite an info. have few products from lakme.. but not a huge fan of them though..

Peachesandblush February 12, 2013 at 11:51 am

Ooh which ones?

Zee Bee February 12, 2013 at 11:43 am

The last stuff i tried from Lakme’s was Earth trio blush. i love it. I like the texture of Absolute matte lipstick but colours..what’s wrong with Lakme ? I mean look at their Enrich range..they are known to make colors which suit Indian skin tones to the T. I don’t understand why they botched up Lakme’s Absolute matte lipstick shades !
Lakme holds a special place in my heart though their foundations made me look pasty and their nail polishes dry up super fast.I have grown up using only Lakme.
I wish Lakme catches up with atleast revlon if nobody else !

Peachesandblush February 12, 2013 at 11:52 am

i know there is like one shade only in that range thats nice..peach carnation…

Tina February 12, 2013 at 11:59 am

You ae absolutely correct on the insta liner, silk naturelle foundation, earth rose trio blush and the 9 to 5 creme to powder compact. I also like the Enrich lipsticks range, quite cheap and you get wearable colors. The insta liner probably should go into the hall of fame of Indian make-up products, I am yet to find someone who didn’t use this in her teens. :D

Richa Saxena February 12, 2013 at 12:51 pm

I absolutely loved the Lakme Ultra matte lipsticks…They were a little drying but I simply loved the velvet texture of it!

Manu February 12, 2013 at 2:05 pm

Wow, just realised I don’t own a single thing from this list. After the enrich lipsticks melted all over the place I stopped getting lakme stuff. I own a lot of stuff from Colorbar, Faces and Maybelline, though.
Btw, did you get the query I sent you?

Ikya February 12, 2013 at 2:29 pm

You know I actually quite like the Lakme eyeshadow quads! At least the ones I have are buttery smooth, extremely pigmented (most of these) and last long (on a base, of course) . Plus for someone like me who doesn’t use eyeshadows much, It’s nice to have these quads that are quite affordable too! I am actually working on a post on these! :P

Khyathi February 12, 2013 at 2:37 pm

I too love the eyeshadow quads. Their pigmentation is awesome. I have used most of the high end stuff, even the naked palettes, but still keep going back to the lakme quads! I own all the quads now!

Shikha February 12, 2013 at 3:27 pm

Very nice post Mehak.. I am just checking what all I have from your list :-) I like Lakme kajal and mascara more than Maybelline… I would also like them to have a neutral palette. I would suggest you to try Lip-gloss aqua shine they are really very nice… Currently my handbag have 3 lakme products :-))

Sukanya February 12, 2013 at 4:15 pm

Lakme lip love aphrodite blush is my to go it !

MissBoPeep February 12, 2013 at 4:19 pm

OMG! I didnt even know Lakme had these products! I must try some of them now!

Neha February 12, 2013 at 5:59 pm

I agree with you on almost the entire list.. I haven’t tried a few though. I really like their Absolute Kohl Ultimate and Lakme Eye Artist eyeliner too :)

shikha February 12, 2013 at 6:11 pm

An awesome post Mehak. I share the exact same views except Silk Naturelle. I think in the worst list Lakme Kajal would be the winner. The fat kajal pencil is good for nothing and in winters even if one were to try and rub it vigorously on a rough surface, it won’t leave a mark!

Could I request you for something, with all due respect and no offence to be taken: you write awesome and interesting stuff but if only you would pay a little more time and do a spell check before you post, it’ll be super duper awesome.

vineetha February 12, 2013 at 6:57 pm

This post makes me realise I dont use a single product from Lakem these days :-( . I remember, back in my school days, Lakem liquid liner used to me by staple. Nw will check out few from the best products list Mehak!

priyanka February 12, 2013 at 7:44 pm

Lakme was coined in India with a motive that Indian women would not spend precious foreign exchange on beauty products.After so many years when we have variety of beauty brands available , its still most looked after beauty product. Lakme should buckle up to remain in cosmetic market though their Beauty Salons are something worth trying for.
Very nice and informative post by Mehak.Thumbs up for the article :)

abhi February 12, 2013 at 7:44 pm

love their kajal…but havent tried too many products from their new range..
should try…thanks for this list

Rajvi Bhow February 12, 2013 at 9:55 pm

Nice compilation..more or less agree with your list… For the mascara they have launched hypercurl under the eyeconic range which is as you would call it to compete with the colossal range..

deepti February 13, 2013 at 4:05 pm

That is one detailed post. Your hard work is quiet visible. I loved lakme’s absolute lipstick.

Ansh@Vanity No Apologies February 13, 2013 at 11:29 pm

hate list mei add those aquashine lip colours..terrible wear time :X

Nidhi February 15, 2013 at 7:29 pm

I have tried the Daily wear souffle thing.. infact worn it for about 1.5 yrs after marrg coz i wasnt hooked to makep and fashion blogs till then.. but now I feel it was just an average product.. Havent tried the absolut one yet..

jayanti November 8, 2014 at 10:05 pm

Must try lakme scrub its awsome