Four Commandments of Anti-Ageing By Dr. Rashmi Singh!

by Sub Editor Akanksha on May 28, 2013

in Reviews, Skincare

Anti ageing commandments (3) Four Commandments of Anti-Ageing!

Guest Post By Guest Blogger Dr. Rashmi Singh

We all have our shares of skin problems. Oh-so-sensitive, breaks out even from water, produces oil enough to solve the fuel crisis of India and so many more. But one issue that no matter what we do, no matter how much we try, but can’t escape, is ageing, skin or otherwise. In the tryst with our skin types and skin issues, we often ignore the need of prevention, or even the right care of ageing skin at the right time !

Anti ageing is one of the most studied issues in cosmetology and all the experts recommend a few basic ground rules to delay or to improve signs of ageing. Let’s have a look into 4 commandments of anti-ageing for a younger looking skin for a long time *not forever unlike some companies claim*

1. Sun-protection : Like they say if ‘I’ll earn a penny every time I emphasize on the importance of sun protection I’d be a millionaire in no time’, and yes if you start throwing out a penny into space every time an expert recommends strict sun protection, trust me there is not gonna be enough pennies to do that !
It is THE first and foremost rule.
Sun exposure is the single most preventable cause of ageing responsible for 95% of your wrinkles. IF you haven’t started wearing sun protection yet, start asap. Sooner you start, later you’ll have to worry about ageing skin.

Anti ageing commandments (4)

Remember to wear a broad spectrum sunscreen with PA+ label, and preferably a little higher SPF than what you think you need (because either we don’t apply enough, or don’t reapply) everyday, in the sun or inside your home ! Teach this habit to your daughter, and to your mother. This is the best practice for a healthy skin.
2. False Market claims : 10 minutes to make wrinkles disappear ? Botox is so going to be out of business then. Millions of products feed to our own weaknesses to look young and flawless, and we keep falling for them. Most of those products that promise immediate results are nothing but moisturizers and silicones that fill up and plump up the wrinkles and fade them away temporarily, usually with very less ingredients that actually work for long term benefit *cough*loreal youth code*cough*olay regenerist* ! Learn what’s working for party next day, and what’s for your 25th marriage anniversary.

Anti ageing commandments

3. Antioxidants : Often people are afraid to use anti-ageing products before a certain age they are fixated to, in their thoughts. Usually 25, or 30 ! But I don’t see why can’t we use antioxidants at 20. Delay the appearance of ageing !!! Antioxidants kill free radicals that are ultimately responsible for slow but steady causation of ageing by attacking cells and their DNAs. Use antioxidants before you see ageing. Some of the best ingredient antioxidants to apply on skin include Vitamin C, Vitamin E, Green Tea and coffeeberry.

Anti ageing commandments (2)

4. Reverse the signs of ageing : Heard it a million times in every other ad ? But it’s so not as easy as it sounds. No matter what anyone claims, there is no substitute to botox or cosmetic procedures whenit comes to ageing skin. Yet there are a few ingredients that do promote collagen formation and reverse the signs of phtodamage and when used diligently can soften the fine lines and sagging skin like Retinol, Vitamin C, and AHA. Incorperate them in your routine if you find yourself landing on fine lines already.

There is no magic when it comes to anti-ageing, but these simple commandments are no rocket science either. Give your future 45 year self a gift, a gift of young skin.

Images source:

About the Blogger

Dr. Rashmi Singh is a medical practitioner with clinical experience in Dermatology. Her idea of beauty blogging is to make everyone aware about what is going on to their skin. Debunking myths, giving advices on skin issues of her readers, and giving scientific viewpoints to the products, she blogs at  An Indian Doctor’s Beauty Blog.

PS: Rashmi, i loved your article…Could you also comment below and let us know what product you recommend for women to use in their twenties and thirties?

Btw, Peaches & Blush is nominated for the Cosmo Beauty Blog Awards. If you really think P&B deserves it, please please please vote for it (You will have to press the like button next to its name, and then put your name and email and press submit at the bottom ) . You can vote here

meera May 28, 2013 at 11:19 am

informative article..will u please suggest a product with retinol..iam in my early thirties..thank u..

Rashmi May 28, 2013 at 11:53 am

Hello Meera,
You can find pure retinol in Dr.Reddy’s Strea A, Ranbaxy Yugard, other than that retinol is present in pond’s age miracle, loreal revitalift range .

shweta May 29, 2013 at 1:23 pm

yes rashmi.. strea a is fab… but my dermo suggested against it rite now as im planning a baby.. im 30 now..

Rashmi May 29, 2013 at 10:20 pm

Oh yes shweta.. dont use any retinol if you are planning to have a baby !!

thedelhibride May 28, 2013 at 11:44 am

Would love to know which products in the Indian market you would recommend that have antioxidants?

Rashmi May 28, 2013 at 1:17 pm

Hey ! The body shop has vit C and Vit E range .
Dr Reddy’s nanoceuticals has vit E serum , and strea C.
Ethicare makes vit C serum epishine . Cipla makes Vc
15 !
P.S. I heart your blog girl ! Never miss a post !

thedelhibride May 29, 2013 at 5:31 pm

Ah, thanks for the info! I will def buy one of these since I think I should start including antioxidants in my skin care routine. I’ve been reading about them everywhere, but never realised I should start using them now. And I was surprised to find out that you read my blog! What an honour! :) Thanks for following!

tannima May 28, 2013 at 12:17 pm

Hi Rashmi I just turned 22 and never thought about using antioxidants or anything for antiageing, your article compelled me to.. Could suggest products for my age oily skin ..?

Rashmi May 28, 2013 at 1:18 pm

Hi Tannima,.
You can start by using Vit C serum in the morning :-)… Also boosts sun protection !

swastika May 28, 2013 at 12:28 pm

i have statred using the Clinique super Rescue Antioxidant Night Moisturizer – is it a good one Dr Rashmi?

swastika May 28, 2013 at 12:30 pm

PS It suits my oily skin. i am 29

Rashmi May 28, 2013 at 1:20 pm

Hey Swastika,
Can you please provide me with the ingredient list ? :-)

Rashmi May 28, 2013 at 1:16 pm

Hey ! The body shop has vit C and Vit E range .
Dr Reddy’s nanoceuticals has vit E serum , and strea C. Ethicare makes vit C serum epishine . Cipla makes Vc 15 !

P.S. I heart your blog girl ! Never miss a post !

visakhi May 28, 2013 at 3:01 pm

Thanks for this post dear,
I am in my mid 20’s , problem with my skin is permanent pimple marks, i have nt used any anti ageing products, will they remov e marks completely? or any other suggestion pls..

Rashmi May 29, 2013 at 10:08 pm

Hello Visakhi,

Anti-ageing products are not designed to work on marks, see a dermatologist and get your self a depigmentation prescription / procedure like chemical peels, or hydroquinone/ kojic acid based ointments.

Anusha Yella May 28, 2013 at 5:15 pm

Cosmetologist from Olivia skin care suggested me Yugard, but she warned me to apply sunscreen when i step out if not it can make my skin condition worse. She also told Yugard is a steriod based cream, how healthy is it to depend on steriods? Please suggest Dr.Rashmi, I am 27.

Rashmi May 29, 2013 at 10:09 pm

Hey Anusha,
So so surprising !! Yugard is pure retinol and not steroid. It has to be applied only at night and yes, it does make skin a little photosensitive so sunscreen is a must !

kayennat May 28, 2013 at 5:38 pm

I’m gonna be a black sheep here and say I don’t believe in sunscreen :D Controversial I know :D
I believe in being under the sun in moderation. And as much as external antioxidants are useful in treating external damage ultimately your skin reflects your internal health- You are what you eat! No cream or potion is ever going to be enough to combat a bad diet.

thedelhibride May 29, 2013 at 5:31 pm

but you’re very right in saying you are what you eat. That matters SO much!

Rashmi May 29, 2013 at 10:14 pm

Hi Kayennat , not denying the fact that what you eat does matter, I’d like to tell you that there is NO substitute for sunscreen, according to research, when it comes to ageing skin. UVA ages your skin, causes wrinkles and open pores..and what you eat cant really protect against it !
And yes sun is necessary to some extent… Studies suggest that 15 minutes of sun, twice a week is enough for gaining the necessary goodness of skin :)

kayennat May 29, 2013 at 10:54 pm

I think you might have misunderstood? I didn’t meant to imply that diet was a substitute for sunscreen. The diet comment was in relation to antioxidants.
And yes I do agree that UVA causes skin damage (although I am unsure about open pores as pores aren’t doors that can be opened or closed) but I don’t feel that sunscreen in a must if you are sensible about your time under the sun (The Environmental Working Group’s report (2012) on sunscnreen showed that use of sunscreen has been linked to malignant skin cancers due to ingredients commonly used in sunscreen). So while it’s important to protect from UVA/UVB damage there are other ways of limiting damage by wearing appropriate clothing, limiting ones time under harsh sun and so on. Again this is all my opinion so please take with a pinch of salt :)

kayennat May 29, 2013 at 11:00 pm

Oh and I do realise that a lot of the studies were done on animals and not humans :)

Rashmi May 30, 2013 at 4:02 pm

Hey Kayennat,
There is nothing I love more than an informed discussion.
First of all sun, every hour of sun exposure generates free radicals, and free radicals damage the connective tissue by a chain of event mediated by matrix metalloproteinases , thus it is recommended to reapply sunscreen every 2 hours. Now this collagen is the base of your skin, so every time collagen is reduced you get open pores and wrinkles, for rest of your life …its basically your skin losing elasticity. Yes there is no door, and they open by collagen degradation… and close only by collagen formation inducing stuff. I have done a full post on it.
Now you must know that American Academy of Dermatology suggests that you should apply sunscreen even when indoors, as UVA penetrates glass, And since you cant appropriately clothe your face every time, its better to apply sunscreen. Hope I made sense.

Heena May 28, 2013 at 8:55 pm

Very helpful article, indeed!

Rashmi May 29, 2013 at 10:14 pm

Thank you so much Heena, Glad you found it helpful !

R May 29, 2013 at 9:42 am

I am 26 with a super oily skin with blackhreads and loads of whiteheads with occassional outbreaks of acne. i have started cleansing toning and moisturising. what anti ageing product would you suggest for my skin type? and is there anything which would help decreasing the oiliness of face and scalp? thank you

Rashmi May 29, 2013 at 10:26 pm

Hey R,
Try salicylic gel for chemical exfoliation, and you’d definitely see a difference in blackheads and whiteheads.
And oiliness is controlled by hormones, there are couple of drugs under research that’ll in future decrease oil production on topical application, but nothing as of yet !!

Sumathi May 29, 2013 at 10:29 am

Great article. Very informative… I’ve been thinking of using vitamin e capsules at night, but then I have a very oily skin and I’m in two minds whether I should use it or not.

Rashmi May 29, 2013 at 10:16 pm

Sumanthi I dont think there is any relation of Vitamin E and skin type. Antioxidants are good for every skin type. But if you are talking about the oral capsules… I am not really sure, they often contain few ingredients to make it digestible… in rare cases it may cause breakouts !

Shireen May 29, 2013 at 11:00 am

Dr.Rashmi, I absolutely love your blog! very informative and a great style of its soo advice straight from a doctor’s mouth!

Rashmi May 29, 2013 at 10:21 pm

Thank you so so much Shireen :) . . I m glad you found it helpful !

Anusha Yella May 29, 2013 at 1:26 pm

Agree with Kayennat! you are what you eat, instead of applying antioxidants externally, try to incorporate them in your diet. That does more good than what any creama/cosmetics can ever do.

Gowthami May 29, 2013 at 5:06 pm

i loved the article and very useful post… thanks for sharing :)

Rashmi May 29, 2013 at 10:17 pm

Thank you Gomwathi … Glad you liked it !

Lancy May 29, 2013 at 8:24 pm

Very very informative post Rashmi! :) You are really an expert! I am book marking this now.

Rashmi May 29, 2013 at 10:18 pm

LOL, Lancy… M no expert. I just try to help with the little knowledge I have !! Thank you so much sweetheart :)

Crazy Indian Bride May 29, 2013 at 11:29 pm

I am nearing 25 and was wondering when I should start anti-aging. Isn’t 30 the right age?? or can one start asap??

My moms got black aging spots which refuse to go and I am very much like her, I am worried the same might effect me too,, what precautions can I take?? Please help!

Rashmi May 30, 2013 at 4:13 pm

Hello Crazy Indian Bride,
Same pinch I too am a wild new bahu :P ;)
First of all our moms never applied sunscreen, so these ageing spots which are mostly sun spots are less likely to appear in us, who take sun protection !!!
Now if you are concerned about the prevention part, I am a big fan of retinol and advice you that… even for your mom !!! If you dont want to get into retinol right now, Vitamin C is a good option to begin with since it enhances photoprotection as well as is an antioxidant.
Hope I helped.

Crazy Indian Bride May 30, 2013 at 5:08 pm

OOh congratulations!! Hope married life is going good Dr. Sahibha :P

Retinol and Vitamin C..ok, will check for it.

Abhi May 30, 2013 at 8:44 am

The label claims of Indian products is really poor, they do not really list out the active ingredients…would love to know which products have AHA’s and which have other anti ageing antioxidants..

Rashmi May 30, 2013 at 6:19 pm

Hi Abhi,
You can find glycolic acid 6% in glyco-6,and glycolic acid 12% in glycoA. Also in combination with other depigmentation agents it is found in GlyAHA-koj, Demelan. !

Sonam May 30, 2013 at 1:40 pm

Very informative article Rashmi! I wanted to know apart from the products to apply on what all food items can be included in the everyday diet plan to get anti-ageing benefits??

Rashmi May 30, 2013 at 11:21 pm

Hi Sonam , eat a lot of berries, beans and citrus fruits !! Loaded with antioxidants !

RJ May 30, 2013 at 4:04 pm

Hi Doc! Great Post! What would be your recommendation for a super-sensitive acne-prone skin which has heavy pigmentation, open pores and fine lines?

Rashmi May 30, 2013 at 11:23 pm

Hey RJ,
You should see a dermatologist and get chemical peels done. I for one faced the same problem a couple of salicylic and glycolic peels later I have very few marks and acne to deal with !!

RJ May 31, 2013 at 8:25 pm

alas.. my skin is too sensitive for any kind of peels.. told by a number of derms :( waiting for that wonder drug now

Sansu May 31, 2013 at 11:13 am

Hello dr Rashmi,
Thank you for taking time to help us.A very informative article and i totally advice using sunscreen ,ive never used sunscreen…tday i have sun damaged skin..with uneven pigmentation,pores and sensitive skin.My question is can we use retin a and glycolic products without consulting a doctor?Are there different strengths for different skin types?Should these products be used day or night?
And thanks Mehak for opening up this post for us :-).

rs May 31, 2013 at 1:06 pm

Hi Rashmi,you suggested the the body shop vit e cream but the problem is that it is loaded with parabens.So please suggest alternatives.

Riya May 31, 2013 at 1:30 pm

hello dr rashmi,
i am currently using dr.reddy’s clearzzplus with vitamin c and kojic acid as recommended my derma to remove my pimple spots and it has almost cleared my skin.. can i continue using this as it has vitamin c and this cream suits my skin too !!! no pimple and all… :)

Amrita May 31, 2013 at 1:42 pm

hey Rashmi, can you suggest a good sunscreen/sunblock for my oily acne prone skin? i am currently suing sunmate spf 30+ suggested by my derma :) lotus and lakme ones don’t suit me and neutrogena makes my skin oily :/

deepti May 31, 2013 at 4:04 pm

very informative post. Thnx for sharing it

rupie kaur November 17, 2013 at 3:08 pm

Dear Doctor I am 25 f. I apply Auriga forte Vitamin C 15 % Serum in the morning.I dont apply sunscreen.As my exposure to sun is hardly 10 minutes a day and that too I cover my face with scarf.I have suffered from acne for last 10-11 years.Now its very much under control.And my skin is may be 80 % clear.But texture is very rough.Few pimples keep coming and going but not much.And a few like 6-7 red moderate scars are there which I feel would fade with time or with kojic acid.

PS – I have used isotretinoin in the past.Also I use kojic acid & tretinoin on and off.

My queries are :
1)Do I need to apply sunscreen as my exposure to sun is minimal.?I have read if you apply sunscreen and dont go out in makes your skin darker.IS IT TRUE?
2)Which anti aging product would you recommend to me considering acne sensitivity & roughness of my skin?
3)Vitamin c is said to be very sensitive & oxidizes easily.So is the serum that I am using would be effective or not?

Thank You so much.Regards

shashi June 23, 2014 at 3:18 pm

Hii, i m 28 nd my skin is vry much sensetive nd dry ,,,,,, feeling like ageing please suggest me what shld i apply on my face, and suffring from under eye fuffyness , please help me on this

ARATHI July 1, 2014 at 10:37 pm

Hello Dr. RASHMI!
How do I get rid of the facial pores?

Sudha September 9, 2014 at 6:08 am

Thanks for the post but strea a15 and yugard are not available in the market now. Can you suggest a pure retinol alternative? Not ponds or neutrogena

Sumi November 18, 2014 at 12:02 pm

Hello Dr. Rashmi, Where to I get “Dr. Reddy’s Vit C capsules.” in Bangalore. Please tell me some reliable online websites to buy this.

Sumi November 18, 2014 at 12:04 pm

Hello Dr. Rashmi, Love your blog. Where do I get “Dr. Reddy’s Vit C capsules.” in Bangalore? Please tell me some reliable online websites to buy this. Thank You!!

Suresh December 16, 2014 at 10:48 am

Strea C is discontinued from the market. Maybe, you people can try Epishine, Facemed or something like that. Has anybody used VC 15 here?

Saloni Bhatnagar December 26, 2014 at 12:28 pm

Hi Dr. Rashmi

I am a 24 year old with normal skin type. For the past on year i have following CTM, now instead of using a moisturiser before going to bed, I was wondering wheather i should start using a night cream or not? and if i do, should i go for hydrating cream, rich in Vitamin E or retinol based ones? What do you suggest? Also i was thinking of going for the medicated ones like Ranbaxy’s Yugard over Cosmetic creams like Loreal, Olay, Clinique. Please suggest some options. Thanks :)

Hema January 12, 2015 at 10:21 am

I’m an almost 39 year old mom, and I’m considering purchasing some form of retinoid cream from India to improve my skin and keep it looking youthful. What would you recommend, and if I should get pregnant, when should I stop?

Shivi March 31, 2015 at 12:00 am

I’m 28 and my skin is super sensitive n super dry and tanned too.. A frnd of mine suggested to use VC-15 at night time just before I go to sleep after putting moisturiser to my skin.. Is it helpful to my skin ? I hv just started using Vichy sunblock with SPF 50, my face complexion looks so different to my body complexion. Do u think I should use VC15 or would u suggest anything else. What does Retinol do.. How does strea a is diefferent from VC 15. Im comfused. Plz suggest.

Ana August 1, 2015 at 8:13 pm

Can u suggest some night cream for the women in 50s especially for dark spots and blemishes?

anita verma September 6, 2015 at 7:47 pm

Hi Rashmi
loved your blog…Im 40 years old had a good skin but now age spots have started appearing.
I apply vit.c serum in the morning and apply emolene cream on it..
My exposure to sun is 10 min daily…let me know please how to reduce sun spot..they have formed a butterfy on my nose and cheeks

anshu gupta September 13, 2015 at 11:18 pm

Hi Rashmi
Im 44 years old have a good skin but now dark spots & little pigmentation started. I apply lotus sunscreen with 40 SPF & my exposure to sun is half an hour daily. Please suggest some anti aging product with AHA available in market and also a night cream, mine is a normal skin type