How to Choose a Bridal Makeup Artist : Checklist

by mehak on June 5, 2013

in Bridal Blog, Bridal Makeup

bridal-makeup-artist

On a recent discussion with an MUA, she told me “You know, the first thing girls book is the venue and the second thing they book is the Makeup Artist!!!” . Well its kind of true!!  But let’s say you aren’t familiar with the makeup artist scene in your city…how then do you book your makeup artist to ensure who is good and who is bad? Here are a few simple steps to make it easier to sift through all the madness!!!

Step 1: Online Research

• Start online with Google and Facebook!
  • If you are in Delhi, then take a look at my Bridal Makeup Artists in Delhi post, if not then make a list of whatever names you find online into a notepad for reference.
  • Also check out the Real Brides Section, where each girl mentions which makeup artist has done her makeup
  • Make sure to visit some Indian Bridal Blogs- they are packed with info about such things
  • Visit each makeup artists Facebook Page or Website (I recommend facebook page because a lot of the natural photographs are there unlike the website where only the best may be displayed)
  • Narrow down your list by knocking off anyone whose style you don’t seem to agree with

Step 2: Recommendations & Offline Research

• Circulate this list amongst friends and family to see if they know anyone whose worked with them before
  • Also visit your nearest MAC counter- these girls do Bridal Makeup onsite and they do give trials so see if you would like to put them on your list.
  • Ask for their charges to strike off anyone who is totally out of budget
  • Gather the experiences of the rest and try to narrow down to some you definitely want a trial with, or atleast want an interview with!

Step 3: The Trial /Meeting: What to ask & What to check

So you have made it to the trial. This is the easy part, now how do you know the trial is good or bad or just ok??? Here is a checklist iv put together for you Bridezillas! Even if you cannot go to a trial, then make sure you meet the bridal makeup artist in person , look through photos of brides they have done and ask the following questions:

• Which makeup is she using? Kryolan, Mac, Shiseido, Estee Lauder is all good. Be a little wary of those unnamed pallettes with the tiny eyeshadows that some of them use (They get it cheap from China)
  • How has she done your base?  This is the single most important thing for me. Has she made you look whiter or darker than yourself? Both are problems. Is the base looking like a base? Look closely in the mirror around the edges of your mouth and under your eyes if you base is creasing- there is a slight problem. What base is she using???
  • Did she ask you questions about your outfit? This is important-a Good MUA should be interested in what you are wearing and what kind of look to create
  • Has she done matchy matchy makeup after you told her the colours of your outfit? I told one MUA once that my lehenga was blue, red and green. So she went and put all three colours on me. Epic Fail
  • Does she listen to you? Very important. You can gather from an MUA whether they are willing to adjust and listen to you, vs whether they are quite set in their notions. So for example lets say she suggests “Lets do completely neutral for xyz”. Just to test ask her “Can we do just a bit more with bling for xyz?”. Stay away from answers like “Umm, thats just not my style” . Look for answers like “Sure, lets try it out…i still feel neutral may be the best way, but we will work around how you want it”. Its YOUR day, you should feel free to say whatever you want!
  • Does the makeup photograph well?: Do not forget to click a photo of yourself after the trial.Makeup can look very different in a photograph, and as a bride you are going to be photographed about a gazillion times.
  • Does the makeup hold up over time or is it making you shiney?
  • Try and visit the Salon once when a bride is getting ready: This is the best time to really get an essence of the bridal makeup artist.

Step 4: Being Prepared

Okay so, you are done with your Bridal Makeup artist hunt. But a Bridezilla always has a plan B. This means you need to get together a list of products -foundations, concealer, lipstick, blush, eyeliner , maybe one eyeshadow that matches everything. Like Mac Woodwinked, or Expensive Pink….Not only will this help you to tide over the smaller functions, but sometimes a makeup artists product may break you out! You need to make sure you have a backup of products that she can use in case of an emergency.

makeuptrial

bridal-makeup-artist-trial

P&B is nominated for the Cosmo Blog Awards. If you want us to win, and think we deserve it please vote for it by pressing the like button next to its name and pressing submit at the end. Go here to vote.

Shikha June 5, 2013 at 10:13 am

really nice and informative post… I try to go at evenings to parlour during marriage seasons.. Though I have to wait for my turn but I can see a lot of bridal and party makeup. Second last pic looks as if someone punched you on eye. Last pic I like your jawline
Shikha recently posted..Faces Eye Liner- Turquoise BlueMy Profile

afterglow June 5, 2013 at 12:15 pm

Hi Mehak, thanks for putting this up. Great timing I must say. I’m getting married in 4 months and I’m going INSANE doing my research. I’m contemplating doing my own make up for the D-day but somewhere I’m afraid to think what if I mess up. I’ve got a good hand and did my own makeup for my engagement still… am I crazy to think I can do it?

mehak June 5, 2013 at 12:20 pm

ot at all!!! Just do a mock run before hand, click a few snaps and judge! I sometimes wish i would have done it myself ! Make sure you have a solid hair person who can help you out with it and pin your lehenga etc.

afterglow June 5, 2013 at 12:23 pm

So kind of you to have replied so promptly. Thank you again! As for my hair, I’m totally leaving it to my aunts. As I’m a south India, my hair will be up in a bun with lots of flowers. You know twice I’ve written to u but never sent the email. I’ve been an avid reader of your blog and I’m aware of the bridal service you provide…not sure if I can afford it though.

mehak June 5, 2013 at 12:26 pm

I think south indian bridal makeup is pretty easy to do on your own..from what iv seen its mostly simple, nice skin with a warm glow and dark kohl on the eyes right?? You should totally do that on your own.Hehe! I dont think the service is that appropriate for you anyway…mostly its for people who want like lehengas and lots of trousseau items and are new to delhi!

afterglow June 5, 2013 at 12:31 pm

Right. Yes, makeup will be simple but eyes will be prominent. I’ll be taking some hair and makeup trials anyway, to be on the safe side!

Swagata June 5, 2013 at 12:20 pm

Nice post…I am looking for a good makeup artist for my sister’s marriage, will keep in mind whatever you shared. Thank you for the info… :)
Swagata recently posted..Goodbye PIMPLES!!!My Profile

Shilpa Shri June 5, 2013 at 12:22 pm

Second last pic is just hilarious :D :D Your eyes are seriously looking like a kathak dancer lol

mehak June 5, 2013 at 12:26 pm

I know !!! So annoying!

Gowthami June 5, 2013 at 1:48 pm

such a informative post and neatly given wow :)
Gowthami recently posted..Budget Tuesday: Nivea Glamorous Gloss -Natural Review, LOTDMy Profile

thedelhibride June 5, 2013 at 3:34 pm

Brilliant, brilliant post Mehak. As usual! And it’s great to hear what a makeup and beauty blogger has to say about choosing the right MUA – you really know what you’re talking about! :) I continue to be a fan!
thedelhibride recently posted..Vendor Review: MUA Mona of b:bluntMy Profile

mehak June 5, 2013 at 10:41 pm

Aww thanks S !!
Dont miss a post of yours btw!

thedelhibride June 6, 2013 at 2:13 pm

really?! flattered!!!! :) :)
thedelhibride recently posted..Vendor Review: MUA Mona of b:bluntMy Profile

KRITI June 5, 2013 at 6:05 pm

thank you mehak… this is really helpful
KRITI recently posted..VOGUE MAGAZINE JUNE 2013 ISSUE FEATURES SONAM KAPOORMy Profile

Richa Saxena June 5, 2013 at 8:58 pm

This is a really great post Mehak! You have listed some really very important points there…Great work as always! :)
Richa Saxena recently posted..Maybelline BB Glow Stick; Review & PhotosMy Profile

Monica June 5, 2013 at 9:09 pm

You are awesome ! Very useful post ! Sometimes I feel like you are lik me big sister telling me all stuff (lol x) :)

mehak June 5, 2013 at 10:42 pm

Haha how cute!

Heena June 5, 2013 at 10:03 pm

Such a helpful post.. 2nd pics, those are hair extensions right? Suit you very well :D
Heena recently posted..Ponds India BB Cream Review – The Whitening Saga Continues..My Profile

Karishma June 6, 2013 at 1:15 am

I am taking all these mental notes for my wedding day..Which is nowhere in sight btw. hehe
Karishma recently posted..Time stops at MatheranMy Profile

madhuri June 6, 2013 at 1:26 am

Hi mehak… Where was the second trial done?? Was it from Hyderabad?? I loved ur look, esp ur hair… Totally adorable :D

mehak June 6, 2013 at 9:57 am

Hi Madhuri,
yes salon called doris run by the woman of the same name!

Ankita July 1, 2013 at 3:59 pm

The famous Bharat & Dorris?

Crazy Indian Bride June 6, 2013 at 1:12 pm

Wish I had researched during my MUA searched. I picked the first one I tried but I did like her work a lot.. just missed out on going through the whole ‘finding the MUA’ stage.

The first picture : (the fail) is that Bridal makeup trial?!?! *confused* doesn’t look bridal-y at all!
The 2nd picture : love what she has done to your cheeks looks sculpted.
Crazy Indian Bride recently posted..Indian Bridal Fashion Week 2013My Profile

Manali June 7, 2013 at 4:48 pm

So much of information packed into one post….. big fan of your writing and that pinch of humor you add to it makes it a delight to read…. even though not getting married anytime soon…. really excited to read about it :)

secretsofmissdaydreamer.blogspot.in
Manali recently posted..Experimenting with ColorMy Profile

Isha June 9, 2013 at 8:02 pm

Hey Mehak :-) Been a new, and so far silent reader on your blog… Absolutely love your style of writing!!:-) ;-) Tying the knot this Nov, and the MUA hunt is on. Have a budget of 20K, so clearly the likes of Chandni Singh and Anu Kaushik shoot the roof.
Considering Shalini Singh, good work and reviews… But would you recommend spending that extra 10K and going with CS/AK? Or can you suggest any alternatives? I put up in South Delhi. Thanks in advance :-)

Isha June 9, 2013 at 8:04 pm

Hey Mehak Been a new, and so far silent reader on your blog… Absolutely love your style of writing!!:-) Tying the knot this Nov, and the MUA hunt is on. Have a budget of 20K, so clearly the likes of Chandni Singh and Anu Kaushik shoot the roof.

mehak June 9, 2013 at 8:25 pm

Hi Isha,
Dont over stretch your budget.Shalini is pretty good, also check out Michele Montex..and a relatively newbie mua=Simra kalra. Like her work-http://www.facebook.com/makeupbysimran?fref=ts

Isha June 10, 2013 at 10:49 pm

Thanks a ton Mehak :-) And congratulations on your 1st Anniv :D You summed it aptly!! :-) Enjoy your weekend getaway :D Cheers :-)

Marathi Weddings June 18, 2013 at 7:59 pm

Amazing post!! You havnt missed a thing!! Loved it loved it.. You look nice in the ‘semi pass’ photo!
Marathi Weddings recently posted..Pre Wedding Photobook: Haldi, Mehendi and Mandav StapnaMy Profile

Shivani July 30, 2013 at 9:05 pm

Mehak,

I have been reading your blog for quite some time now. It is very informative and indeed very well put together. This is by far the only bridal blog I consult for my own wedding preps.

So I have a question and I am hoping you can help. I am planning to get my make up done from Lakme Salon Malviya Nagar (fits the budget and is in close proximity). The attendant asked me if I wanted Kryolan makeup or Mac. She said I can take Kryolan for the engagament and MAC for the wedding. Just wanted to check with you about the difference in look and quality of makeup.

Is krylon make up good? Are Lakme Salons good for bridal makeup? (I understand that it all depends on the makeup artist but just want to get a general sense of how their staff does it)

Someone also recommended getting makeup done from Plum Salon in GK2 and using their Senior Artists. Any thoughts on this?

I apologize if this is just too much to pour in a single comment. I have never really commented/written to an established blogger and I know that I am totally being very demanding of your time :)

I am also keen on attending your Make up workshop so if you can send an update whenever the final details are finalized then that will be great. (Just FYI – I have done a couple of corporate events with ITC Maurya, Meridien Delhi and Crowne Plaza Okhla – you can check with them, they can offer superb rates for an event like this (1200++ for lunch+am/pm tea+venue rental – negotiate hard if you have not already locked a venue).

Anyhoo I’ll wrap up this really long post now. I look forward to hearing from you.

Thanks,
S

mehak July 30, 2013 at 10:28 pm

Hi Sihvani,
kryolan is excellent actually- for foundation i prefer kryolan to mac studio fix… but i like mac face and body best among all..but yeah i would say if kryolan is working cheaper, go ahead and do that …

Lakme is pretty decent, but again really depends on the MUA- ask her to show you photos of brides yv done earlier. Plum iv heard is actually really really good, i think there is some susanne or something there who is pretty talked about ! I would say go see her brides as well and see which you like better.

Gurleen Sabharwal July 31, 2013 at 12:13 am

Hey, an excellent post, very informative and useful.. I found Simran’s contact through your blow and was quite impressed with what she did for me during my make up trial.. Thanks a ton:-)

Aman August 25, 2013 at 3:27 pm

Hi Mehak
just read this post, awesome, as usual.. But I’ve already got advice on mua from u :) n also I asked u about make-up n u recommended mac, I see that u’ve recommended kryolan here.. I have that option too n was thinking of getting kryolan for engagement n mac for wedding.. Or do u think kryolan would be better for wedding as well? I was told at lakme that it’s coverage is less than mac n mac stays on for longer.. what do u suggest