The Bridal Files: One Year On..& a New Wedding to Plan!

by mehak on June 10, 2013

in Bridal Blog, Bridal files countdown

Incase you are new to P&B, you may want to first read the Bridal Files in Sequence to know what this is  all about:

1. Bridal Files 6 Months to Go

2. Bridal Files 5 Months to Go

3. Bridal Files 4 Months to Go

4.Bridal Files 3 Months to Go

5.Bridal Files 1 Month to Go

6. Bridal Files 5 Days to Go

7. The Youngsters

8.The Mehendi

9.The Engagement

10.The Wedding

June 24th is when i celebrate one whole year of being ‘the better half’ of someone. Can you believe it? Its been one entire year since the wedding- its all so new in my head that im having a hard time getting used to not being a bride anymore! Is there a syndrome like that? Post Bridal-Denial Syndrome? I think i have it !

I guess im supposed to make some emotional statements right now like “Its been a year of beautiful togetherness…” or “I feel complete” , but honestly lets cut the senti – nonsense and keep it real now. Its basically been a year of 2 kids trying to handle a house on their own, trying to handle each other, trying to handle growing up, and having a lot of fun, laughs and some tears along the way. Its been moments of sheer exasperation and moments of uncontrollable laughter and moments of feeling utterly lost and moments of feeling on the top of the world but its never ever been boring!!!! (I have to give the boy credit for this. Im extremely boring. he makes sure i still go out and do fun things)

How are we celebrating our 1st Anni? Unfortunately both of us have packed schedules so the best we can do is a trip to the hills which we go on the weekend after 24th. I cant wait for a break from this heat, to just open my hotel room window and look at the mountains with a softy in my hand!

Here are some never before seen photos from our engagement:

weddig-album1

Left: Boy & Gang perform on Im sexy & I know itmehendi-feet

I hardly have any photos of my mehendi. It took 6 hours, and the photographer had to leave!

engagemnt-outfit

Dancing in a very non bridal way!

engagement-dance

The boys who rocked it: All my brothers in a row!

A New Wedding to Plan!

Its the Sister in Law’s Wedding in December!!!! The Engagement happens in Mumbai in October and the rest of the events happen in Hyderabad. This time it’s a completely cross cultural wedding. My SIL is Sindhi and her fiance is Gujarati- a typical B school romance , but im sure the wedding is going to be one fun potboiler. Recently she had her roka event in Hyderabad which was a  small affair with just about 30 people in total, held in the terrace of the boy’s Hyderabad House.

pink-sharara-001

I wore this pink sharara that i bought from an exhibition and immediately fell in love with the colours!!! I did my hair myself- i was super proud of that!

What the Bride to Be Wore: She wore a Haldi Yellow Saree with a Green & Gold Border. Im not sure she is comfortable with me putting up her pics just yet, but shall update this incase she is

One thing i learnt from this Roka ceremony-Punjabi’s Dance, Gujaratis Sing !!! See in my roka it was a ‘everyone on the dance floor’ kind of affair, but here there was an actual full blown Antakshari Session with teams! I felt like i was on the sets of Hum Aapke Hain Kaun (yknow the antakshari sequence with Salman & Madhuri) . Haha, but it was fun nonetheless and different from what i am used to !

One thing SIL and me have in common- Both need control and have too many opinions on what their wedding should be like. When i was a bride, i remember people telling me to relax and just let it be but i wanted to be involved in everything and every discussion. Now being on the other side, im the one telling her to relax, but she like me, is definitely a Bride Zilla! I remember instead of rushing to the parlour she was instructing people in the house how to wrap the mangoes in the basket (Btw- one question i still havent found the answer to…Why are people obsessed with fruit in weddings. I mean seriously the number of mangoes in that tray was enough to feed a family of elephants!) One thing she isnt like me- she hates attention.    All throughout the roka she was like, Okay now click someone else..Or ok this is too awkward why is everyone staring at me!? Umm cos yr the bride maybe? Did you forget that ?

The main function wrapped up quickly and after dinner all of us kids went for a nice drive around town. For the record, i love Hyderabad drives. The roads are beautiful, specially the drive around the lake is gorgeous, that city has this really amazing old world charm that i love !

Next month, she comes down to shop in Delhi for some trousseau items and yours truly will take her around, Super excited for that!!!!! My MIL is not really the clothes obsessed kinds, which means i get to give all my suggestions and inputs. Tsk Tsk. Its a difficult task but someones got to do it!

Vipra S June 10, 2013 at 10:18 am

That’s a cute journey and the way you portrayed in your words is soo Awesome :) Loved your wedding pix <3
Vipra S recently posted..Event: L’Oreal Paris – Color Genius Meet UpMy Profile

Aditi June 10, 2013 at 10:33 am

Hey Mehak, congrats for one year of togetherness…and also a same pinch ;)
My first wedding anniversary is also on the same day and I am so excited as I also share the same kind of feelings with you. You wont believe, the very first time when I came came across your blog was, when I was super stressed about what to do about my wedding dress, how to manage this, how to do that, and started fiddling with silly Google search options and ended with your super blog. Since then, I have been a day-to-day updated reader of yours. When I came to know that we both share a common wedding date, then again I started feeling more connected, as I could feel the same energy, curiosity and worries of two brides-to-be. So now here we are again, ready to celebrate our individual (but still common :)) years of togetherness…Cheers! :)

mehak June 10, 2013 at 10:42 am

Hi Aditi,
Congratulations on your upcoming anni!!! How are you planning to celebrate it????
We do share a lot in common haan??

Aditi June 10, 2013 at 11:03 am

Thanks dear!
Definitely we do share… :) We are going to celebrate our anniversary in Bali over the weekend. Hopefully it goes great, as we do need a big break, especially the boy needs a good break from work ;)

mehak June 10, 2013 at 11:50 am

BaliiI!!! Naiccee we are planning Bali/Dubai/HK maybe in December lets see!

Aditi June 10, 2013 at 11:53 am

That’s cool, Dubai is too good for shopping :)

Marathi Weddings June 10, 2013 at 10:44 am

You look pretty! Such an appropriate dress for small yet special event. I first thought you designed it. Even I hate answering cliched questions like “Hows married life treating you?” The best I can answer is “We dont feel like we are MARRIED yet!” ;)
Marathi Weddings recently posted..Wedding Lehenga StoryMy Profile

Divya June 10, 2013 at 11:03 am

The mehndi looks beautiful, I also love your dress in the picture where you are dancing, the gold in the dress looks beautiful. Where did you buy it from?

mehak June 10, 2013 at 11:25 am

Suneet Verma

thedelhibride June 10, 2013 at 11:28 am

That sharara is so pretty! And yeyyy!!! Can’t wait to hear all about your SIL’s wedding! This is going to be exciting!
And you’re described the first year of wedding perfectly. Although when you live with your in-laws, the growing up part is harder on both the husband and the wife! I actually have to try really hard to get myself and my husband to grow and take on more and more responsibility. And it never gets boring! :)
thedelhibride recently posted..Inspiration: Words for A Wedding CardMy Profile

mehak June 10, 2013 at 11:48 am

Hehe ! I think grass is greener yknow..so many of my friends say…Oooh…so lucky living alone…I say “So lucky you have a mommy in the house to take care of you”. Both have their upsides and downsides and yes its never ever boring!

thedelhibride June 10, 2013 at 9:13 pm

haha! that’s one of the biggest lessons I’ve learnt. Every situation has pros and cons, you just need to focus on the pros :) :)
thedelhibride recently posted..thedelhibride Magazine launched!My Profile

Rima June 10, 2013 at 11:55 am

Congratulations…its been almost a year na..and i remeber ur ‘all my bags are packed’ post…how tym flies.. i really liked the part whr u say “Its basically been a year of 2 kids trying to handle a house on their own, trying to handle each other, trying to handle growing up, and having a lot of fun, laughs and some tears along the way.” its so cute.Hope u get to spend ur anni in a v special way. And since its ur SIL ‘s wedding soon…we wud get to read a lot more bridal posts i think…tht wud b so nice..thrs a lot of tym for me to tie the knot..bt i find it extremely exciting to read bridal posts,all those dressing up stuffs so nice na.

Apeksha June 10, 2013 at 1:23 pm

Hey Mehak,

Congrats for the year and many more to come !! I have been your religious reader from a long time now, but the bridal thing of urs started happening just after my marriage and I always feel why I was married earlier :) its two years now and we are also super busy people ..anniversary celebrations happen late ..honeymoon trips are late :) ..but Im super happy with my love ..will go Goa soon to celebrate two year plus my bday. It’s great to know that SIL is getting married and would love to see u including Hyd also in ur bridal shopping list .. believe me this place has so much to offer great boutiques .. and begum bazar .. the materials to embroidery and I can swear by Neeru , you cannot come back from there empty hand especially if you are searching for wedding :) . Do plan an update of Hyd too …. !!

Cheers
Apeksha

Manali June 10, 2013 at 3:03 pm

I have been religiously following your blog ….. and even I am amazed that it’s already your anniversary.
BTW ….sharara is soooper gorgeous… and really excited for future posts about the wedding :)

XOXO
Manali

secretsofmissdaydreamer.blogspot.in
Manali recently posted..Experimenting with ColorMy Profile

Preeti Kaur June 10, 2013 at 3:26 pm

i so so like reading your bridal files… honestly speaking i have been closely following up your bridal files and its helped me so much… Recently i brought my wedding lehnga from Chandani Chowk and I am following up your posts for the makeup and other stuff… Thanks Mehek for putting all this together..

and last but not the least.. congrats on completing one year of your marriage… :)

mehak June 10, 2013 at 3:30 pm

Glad it helped you Preeti

kayennat June 10, 2013 at 3:58 pm

Congratulations!! Your pink suit is so simple and pretty. Love the colours. Good luck with the wedding planning :)
kayennat recently posted..Get The Look: Sonam Kapoor Cannes’ The Great Gatsby LookMy Profile

Gowthami June 10, 2013 at 4:59 pm

the mehindi looks wonderful on yu :) I love reading here and congrats fr one ani :) the outfit looks super gorgeous and how you look fresh always ?? :P Loved you :)
Gowthami recently posted..Nyassa Fresh Collection Handmade Soaps in Shea Butter and Alphonso PreviewMy Profile

Deepthi June 10, 2013 at 9:12 pm

Congratulations Mehak….

Meenu June 10, 2013 at 10:53 pm

One year..congratulations!!
Your sharara looks beautiful especially those colors ……. they are great for this season

Arshi June 11, 2013 at 3:45 am

Congrats Mehak :)
Arshi recently posted..Inglot Freedom System Refill Lipstick #66My Profile

Richa Saxena June 11, 2013 at 9:49 am

Congratulations Mehak! Loved the way you have expressed it…You look gorgeous in the sharara…The colors are so pretty!
Richa Saxena recently posted..Maybelline BB Glow Stick; Review & PhotosMy Profile

Pri June 11, 2013 at 4:55 pm

Hey there, I got engaged in Hyderabad recently and found a reasonably good makeup artist. Do let me know incase you would like his number?

Mehak June 11, 2013 at 10:56 pm

Yes please do ! My sil would need it !

oranges June 11, 2013 at 5:05 pm

Hi, such a beautiful Post. Congratulations.
Thanks for giving this post marriage emotion a name “” Post Bridal-Denial Syndrome”" :) I have it too.
I love reading your posts.

thevowsandbeyond June 12, 2013 at 8:21 am

Can’t believe it’s been a year already – I still remember reading your posts as they happened… All the very best for whatever the future has in store Mehak!

You may not know it, but you were a huge help in planning my own wedding.. I ended up taking your recommendations for lehenga shopping. Keep up the good work… good karma coming your way!
thevowsandbeyond recently posted..The Chandni Chowk Chronicles – 2 ‘The Elusive Pagdis’My Profile

Preeti Kaur June 17, 2013 at 5:42 pm

Hey Mehek,

I am looking for a sharara just like the one u r wearing for my sangeet… can u please suggest me from where can i get one..

Thanks