The Bridal Files (SIL Edition) : Trousseau Sarees & A Potential Engagement Outfit?

by mehak on June 23, 2013

in Bridal Blog, Bridal files countdown, Bridal shopping

Incase you are new to P&B, you may want to first read the Bridal Files in Sequence to know what this is  all about:

1. Bridal Files 6 Months to Go

2. Bridal Files 5 Months to Go

3. Bridal Files 4 Months to Go

4.Bridal Files 3 Months to Go

5.Bridal Files 1 Month to Go

6. Bridal Files 5 Days to Go

7. The Youngsters

8.The Mehendi

9.The Engagement

10.The Wedding

11. One Year on….

The Bridal Files (SIL Edition) counts down the time to my Sister in Laws wedding in October/ December!

My Sis in law is the lucky girl who gets to shop in three great cities- Delhi (cos thats where her brother and me stay), Hyderabad (cos thats where her family stays ) and Mumbai (because thats where she works and her fiance stays) so she gets the best of three worlds! The edgy, funky , modern vibe of Indian wear in Mumbai, the rich and royal vibe of Indian wear in  Delhi and the old world charm of Hyderabad (Chand Baalis anyone?).

So she was here the past week to go hunt for some trousseau saris. She is totally opposite of me as a shopper btw:

Me : Go look at Shop 1, Shop 2, Shop 3…compare prices , think over it…go back to Shop 1 and Shop 2 , then finally decide Saree 2 from Shop 1. After purchasing think ten times whether Saree 3 was better. Think that next time yll go to Shop 4 as well !

SIL: Go look at Shop 1 . Like Saree 5,7,9..buy. Done.

bridal-shopping

“Lets go shopppinnnggg”

So we went to South Ex where we hit the usual haunts-Roop , Greenways, Perfection etc. This time it was me, the boy, my sil and her fiance all four of us going shopping. See now this is new to me, because usually my husband will not be caught dead anywhere near an Indian wear store and he has pretty much zero interest or opinions on anything like sarees. I think hes even made statement like “ How do you know this saree will fit”  and im like…err..there are no sizes in Sarees …

But this time both the boys were quite vocal in their opinions and after never-ending trials, endless cups of coke (Thank you saree shops for the nice beverages you kept giving) we ended up buying 3 sarees- a beautiful pink and gold  chantilly lace (my fav) ,  a red with a colorblocked printed pleats   and a pale cream with pink detailing and a narrow pallu. (Yeh Butterfly saree hai madam, said the sales guy. No idea what that means, but ok…as long as its not going to fly away ill take it)

Me ” You need to get some heavier sarees also yknow. Here look at this one -Points to a pretty plain lime green saree with a broad lace border “

SIL ” omg thats tooooo heavy . How will i wear it”

Me ” umm..its a PLAIN saree. How is it heavy -im totally confused. “

SIL : ” No no the border is too wide its tooooo heavy for me. Lets forget me and look for sarees for mom to wear for a wedding. She picks up a plain blue chiffon saree with a silver border”

Me mouth open ” Are you kiddin? She is the mother of the bride. She cant wear itna light saree”

SIL & Boy : “No No, even this is too heavy for her i think”

At this point of time im thinking this brother sister trio has lost their minds. So we called up mommy and after she describing the saree to her she was like “Umm wont it be too dark? Is the silver too shiny? It sounds too heavy? How thick is the border? I dont want to look heavy“. Okay then, looks like im in the minority here (you see when you are the only punjabi in the room, everything looks too ‘light’ to you).

chantilly-lace-saree

Chantilly lace saree we bought

Sarees That are in Vogue For Your Trousseau:

• Chantilly Lace (Whether its ‘in’ or its ‘out’..you definitely need one. Pick one in either a pale color or a metallic color. Bright Chantilly Lace sarees can end up looking tacky)
  • “Nikasha Sarees” : These are sarees with contrast blouses, in neon colors with really pretty latkans and pom-poms in the end !! Very in !
  • The Sarees with printed pleats and colorblocked pallus: Super trendy, but personally the pleats give them a more casual look for me and since i only wear sarees on super dressy occasions i generally skip these
  • Plain, shaded sarees with mirror work blouses
  • Velvet Sarees : Yes- sarees made of velvet with georgette pleats. These looks stunning and really rich- in deep purple, emerald green and best of all in black
  • Sarees with Sabya style high collared blouses: You can pick up these blouses seperately and team them with sarees too!

A potential Engagement Outfit?

After this we stopped by at my favourite place- Hauz Khaz Village and had a nice, hearty meal at Yeti. Those of you who love those free aloo and bread they give …gimme a high five ! I then took her to Rewaaz where instantly we were both drawn to a rack where there with these cropped short jackets with zari embroidery. These jackets were teamed with lehenga -sarees in different shades…

My SIL goes to the try room and comes out wearing a royal blue cropped  jacket with silver zari embroidery at the collar paired with a soft baby pink chiffon saree with crochet lace edging. It completely suits her petite frame , the high collared sleeveless jacket gives this royal, old world look and the soft pinkness of the saree is a beautiful, delicate contrast against it.

SIL: “I love this …I can wear this to my engagement”

Me: “Its stunning Khush!!! Take it for your trousseau, you cant possibly wear a plain chiffon saree on your engagement!! Yr the bride infront of a crowd of 500 people. Wear it to the smaller function where there will be 150 people!!!

SIL“No no, i can. Its different and unique and noones worn something like this “

Me: “Arre what will i wear if you wear thisss!!!!All my outfits are heavier than thissss!! Yr giving me tension. I dont want to look like a bride myself “

SIL is now laughing but had made up her mind she will go with the saree. Question is-royal blue jacket which looks edgy or coral jacket which goes more.

Fiance“I think coral..ok no i think Blue. No i think coral..”

Boy: “Blue is too cannes red carpet types. Take Red”

Me: “First of all that is not red, that is coral. uff. Love both, but blue maybe a bit too hatke for some of the conservative crowd. Coral is a safer option since anyway this is a different kind of concept”

Okay so 3 votes for coral

SIL “Can i bill this with the blue jacket  please?”

Umm.. ok. LOL. Thats a Mehak thing to do. Ask everyone and do your own thing Ha !

After that, i  had to go to Karol Bagh to pick up an outfit for a client for Brides by P&B and my SIL got a complete culture shock. As we were waiting in the shop, this girl came out wearing this heavily bejewelled outfit- an orange lacha which was covered with gold zari and kundan work from head to toe. The embroidery started at the shoulder, went all the way down till the ankle and it had a humungous ghera -double of a regular lehenga. The cost -2.5 Lakhs. “Mommy, can i wear this to my sangeet?” she asked. “No beta” said her mom “Trousseau ke lie le lo”. I think my SIL almost fainted.

Indu June 23, 2013 at 8:24 pm

Super- fun and informative post as always, Mehak. And HILARIOUS! This was my pick-me-up for the day! :D

Azra June 23, 2013 at 8:30 pm

haha funny yet informative… Loved da last line ““No beta tousseau ke lie le lo”. Haha

Garry June 23, 2013 at 8:32 pm

Y r u wearin sunglasses indoors. N oily skin mch?

mehak June 23, 2013 at 10:16 pm

Its not indoors…we were ‘going shopping’remember.heading out.

kat June 23, 2013 at 8:50 pm

You write so well. Absolutely hilarious ! Would you mind sharing how much that pale chantilly lace saree costs? I have been looking for some thing similar in gold/rose gold tone..

Mehak June 23, 2013 at 9:06 pm

Hi Kat we got it on discount for about 13000

Poorva June 23, 2013 at 9:08 pm

haha loved the post Mehak :) all the outfits you described sound so pretty :)
and yes i get what u mean when everything looks too light to punjabis :P our weddings have so much heavy bling bling :P
Poorva recently posted..Launch of Lotus Herbals’ First Pop-up StoreMy Profile

Ikya June 23, 2013 at 9:13 pm

hahaha I loved reading this! And omg! If fellow Hyderabadi people are saying it’s heavy, I’m guessing it is heavy! Have you seen how chamki this place is?! We got a culture shock when we moved here!
Ikya recently posted..MAC Mehr Lipstick- Story, Swatches, FOTD & Comparison With MAC CosmoMy Profile

Mehak June 23, 2013 at 9:23 pm

Haha chamki in going to agree ! But that wasn’t chamki ! It was like Sabya style with broad borde . Uff choro non punjabis will not understand . My mom would have said ” when your sis gets married what will you wear ? These light sarees ?”

Ikya June 23, 2013 at 9:29 pm

hahahah I’ve worn a saree for my school farewell and my mum doesn’t wear them either so for my cousin’s wedding I heard her say(to her sister) “I’m wearing a saree what more do you want?!” Maybe when I enter a saree store, I’ll know something about it!

n June 23, 2013 at 9:54 pm

Super post :)luv ur writing style & luv Bridal files!!

mehak June 23, 2013 at 10:33 pm

Thanks n!

Preeti Kaur June 23, 2013 at 10:12 pm

fun post Mehak :) loved reading it :)

Preeti Kaur recently posted.. StreetWear Color Rich Lipstick Berry Berry Review

aditi June 23, 2013 at 11:05 pm

hey mehak how was d collecctions at rewaz and wats d price range???

mehak June 23, 2013 at 11:08 pm

Hi Aditi…
Rewaaz- depends on what you want…lehengas start at 50 and go upto 1l+ ..tey have around 10-11 lehenga designs. The sarees are around 20-30K and some suits from 15+

Ashima Suri June 23, 2013 at 11:20 pm

Haha, what a superb post Mehak! I can’t stop laughing. Being a punju who is marrying a tam-bram, I can TOTALLY relate to this post!

mehak June 24, 2013 at 10:49 am

Haha the funny thing is anand is a sindhi and theyr supposed to put Punjabis to shame on bling and heavyness…but somehow staying in Hyd i guess has toned the sindhiness down!

coralcrue June 23, 2013 at 11:22 pm

I had so much fun reading this post. How fun must you guys have really had then :)
coralcrue recently posted..Vaseline Healthy Hand and Nail Conditioning Lotion ReviewMy Profile

Stuti June 23, 2013 at 11:34 pm

‘Trousseau ke liye le lo?” Even I am getting a culture shock at that and I live in Delhi!

Rajvi Bhow June 23, 2013 at 11:37 pm

this was such an entertaining post.. and loved the last part of the story.. I can totally identify with your SIL since Im from mumbai myself.. we are not into very ornate and heavy Indian outfits..
Rajvi Bhow recently posted..Truly God’s Own Country – Munnar, KeralaMy Profile

priyanka vijan June 24, 2013 at 12:15 am

Amazing post. Love love reading your experiences! And your face is GLOWING in the picture with you sil. So beautiful. Thanks to face and body??

Tanvi Taneja June 24, 2013 at 12:25 am

Hii this was such a pick me up! Love your posts :D
I’m getting married in December and just started with my trousseau shopping and going crazyyy!
Can you tell me where you got the chantilly from?? I’ve been looking for them all over and haven’t found any which is non tacky and less than 30k!
would be of great help. Thankss!

mehak June 24, 2013 at 10:22 am

Hi Tanvi,
Roop Sarees in South Ex !

kayennat June 24, 2013 at 4:55 am

Haha, Fun times! Despite being sometimes stressful, it’s super fun. I’m not a big fan of lace sarees but I have been warming up to them recently. Hauz Khas is beautiful!
kayennat recently posted..Kayennat’s and Khizer’s Wedding: The Reception (1)My Profile

Prerna Motwani June 24, 2013 at 9:19 am

He he… I really enjoyed reading this Mehak.. I am a sindhi and working in Pune means I have many marathi frens – and forget about sarees – they even find the bling in my disc/club wear too blingy :P

Marathi Weddings June 24, 2013 at 9:34 am

The post was hilarious. The end was superb. “Ask everyone and do your own thing” is so me!!
Marathi Weddings recently posted..Saifeena Wedding PicturesMy Profile

Shikha June 24, 2013 at 9:43 am

I love this SIL conversation…. 2.5lakh for Trousseau… I am sure she will sit in front of TV wearing it…lol….
Shikha recently posted..Inglot Freedom Lipstick Shade 03My Profile

Abhi June 24, 2013 at 10:38 am

perfect post for a monday morning…im craving a shopping trip :)
Abhi recently posted..Back To School/ College Outfit And MakeupMy Profile

Deepthi June 24, 2013 at 10:44 am

Super fun post and very informative Mehak..

thedelhibride June 24, 2013 at 10:58 am

hahahahahaah!!!! I almost fell off laughing reading the last paragraph!!! I remember when I had gone to Heritage and fallen in love with a 2.10 lakh lehenga that I thought was PERFECT for my wedding, and just a few weeks later I was visiting again when I saw another family looking at the same lehenga and their words were “This is SO not bridal. Too light even for a Sangeet. Kuchh air dikhao please” – the lehenga I was head over heels in love with, somebody else didn’t even glance at it for more than 2 seconds before rejecting it!
Anyway, am so glad you’ve got your SIL’s wedding to prep for – more wedding prep excitement for all of us! Looking forward to ALL these posts! I will hopefully do something similar when my own SIL gets married. Btw, is it just me or does everyone who writes about weddings get REALLY excited at every wedding invitation and even the prospect of a distance friend or relative getting married? “More wedding masala to blog about!” is all I keep thinking about!
thedelhibride recently posted..Wedding Wardrobe Breakdown: The SistersMy Profile

mehak June 24, 2013 at 12:02 pm

Talk about it S!
My husband thinks im psycho…he thinks i have a wedding disease because i keep watcing wedding filmer videos !!!

thedelhibride June 24, 2013 at 3:53 pm

hahaha! i could watch the wedding filmer videos over and over again! seriously though, can’t wait for all the dope on your SILs wedding! *sits in a corner waiting patiently yet almost falling off chair with excitement*
thedelhibride recently posted..Vendor Feature: The Wedding Design CompanyMy Profile

Shilpa Shri June 24, 2013 at 11:28 am

Super hilarious Mehak :D Loved reading and I can’t stop smiling while reading your interactions lol…. Very funny! “First of all that is not red, that is coral. uff” ahahhaahah

Sumathi June 24, 2013 at 11:29 am

That’s a super fun post… Loved reading it..
I think I’m a little like your SIL.. Everything is too bright, or chamkili for me.. My bro himself says that I wear very dull clothes..
Sumathi recently posted..Planet Femmina turns 6(months) :DMy Profile

Bhavna Singh June 24, 2013 at 12:29 pm

Such a fun, informative post :)! I had a ROFL moment while reading the last para! :D. I am so glad that ur SIL is getting married this wedding season!. :D . U wll be wondering why am i excited about ur SIL marriage? lol! Well dt means u ll be blogging all about wedding trousseau shopping again!!! yay! and since i am getting married this November i ll have more info, reviews and ideas about trousseau shopping . Yuhooo :).

Shireen June 24, 2013 at 3:09 pm

Hilarious post Mehak! I can totally relate to the punjabi vs non punjabis situation during wedding shopping!!! ;-)
Shireen recently posted..Hair Food – What to include in diet for healthy hairMy Profile

SAKSHI June 24, 2013 at 3:44 pm

wat a fun post mehak! Loved the last part. In fact I hav that same saree Lehnga from rewaaz haul khas.i love it so much it looks so good and different but it’s not for the sagai. I had a dress from ruceru kolkata . Their concept are amazing .u should try them out at any bridal exhibitions. They generally put up at all these places or cud check out der Facebook page

mehak June 24, 2013 at 3:46 pm

I love ruceru sakshi !!! I was so annoyed to know theyr frm Cal!! i have an outfit from there too!

Cherry June 24, 2013 at 3:58 pm

Happy Anniversary Mehak….its mine today as well… :) hv a gr8 day…

mehak June 24, 2013 at 4:01 pm

Aww Thanks Cherry!

Parisha Singh June 24, 2013 at 3:59 pm

lols…i loved ur post :)

Fani June 24, 2013 at 5:12 pm

I loved your post. cant stop laughing. I am a sindhi and i completely understand the BLING that you are referring to… LOL. i am waiting for the whole series on your SIL’s wedding.

Fallen Angel June 25, 2013 at 10:30 am

Loved the narration! And that “Trousseau ke lie le lo” was hilarious. A 2.5L dress for trousseau!! ::jaw dropped::
Fallen Angel recently posted..The yellow green storyMy Profile

Sonia June 25, 2013 at 11:29 am

Haha! I actually know what you mean here. I’m a Punjabi staying in South India and have to think 10 times before I attend a wedding here with my regular wedding clothes and after that, when i have to attend a wedding back home at Delhi, I have to think 10 times again!
Sonia recently posted..Cute Home BarsMy Profile

Neha S June 25, 2013 at 9:12 pm

Hi Mehak simply loved the post. I like the way u wrote ur convo here. Mehak Can you share a pic of how the crop jacket saree look like not ur SIL’s one but in general from web I will try to find similar pattern online somewhere, as I have to start shopping for my best friends wedding and I don’t think I will have enough time to shop in India after reaching and all the saree choices that u suggested are pretty good. I like the idea of neon blouses and mirror work blouses. Can you tell me if you help non bride NRI’s as well for shopping and how it works?

mehak June 25, 2013 at 9:29 pm

Hi neha,
I do help non brides nri’s as well!!!!
Basically we can source outfits for you and you pay a percentage of outfit cost….if you let me know your budget and requirements i can guide you further and show you whatever pictures i have. My id is mehak (at) bridesbypb (dot) com

Neha S June 26, 2013 at 9:09 pm

Thanks,
Will email you the details once I am home, will email you the pics of the outfits I have in mind and my budget. And we will go from there.

Meg June 26, 2013 at 4:22 pm

I’m so excited to find your blog! I’m an American woman, living in London and engaged to an Indian man. We are having two wedding ceremonies, the first happening in Delhi in February 2014. I am completely clueless when it comes to Indian weddings, the outfits, the make up, etc. so I can’t wait to read all your entries! :)

mehak June 26, 2013 at 4:29 pm

Hi Meg…definitely read through te whole bridal section: http://www.peachesandblush.com/category/bridal
Also check out our bridal shopping service for Brides who arent living in India: http://www.bridesbypb.com

Sanchita June 27, 2013 at 11:46 pm

Hey ..this was the first time i visited this web page to find a good makeup artist and got so interested in reading your files dey r really good and impressive . Have ma wedding in nov and havent started anything yet …what all shops you would recommend for good designer stuff ?

Miss Anon June 30, 2013 at 12:43 pm

What a fun post mehak,loved it :D Is your hubby Sindhi ?

aditi July 1, 2013 at 10:27 pm

hey mehak does it announce sale ?? when ??

Shikha August 23, 2013 at 1:31 pm

Hey Mahek,

Where can I find good variety of Chantilly lace saris in Delhi? Been searching for quite some time..but found mostly tacky ones

Thanx

Krithi September 28, 2013 at 9:49 pm

I laughed so much :P

Nidhi Pandey November 1, 2013 at 5:05 pm

Ha Ha Ha “Nai beta trousseau k liye le lo!!! ” Superb post Mehak! Well I was also like your SIL whn I got married.. so can relate to this totally!!

Ria December 27, 2013 at 11:00 pm

Good to see you!
To say, I’m a south Indian girl and I was badly in search of wedding blogs of brides who would share their shopping details …
Thus accidently caught up with your blog and I love it a lot.
The thing is.. wedding costume is entirely different here. And I’m in need of wedding blogs by any south Indian women.
Can you / anyone who is aware of it pls help me out?

Rashmi January 31, 2014 at 3:11 pm

hey you can check out my blog for some details about a south indian wedding.
Rashmi recently posted..Unique Budget Wedding Decor IdeasMy Profile

Rashmi January 31, 2014 at 10:40 am

hahahahah! super fun read. I am gonna read and comment all thru the series! the last para cracked me up :P
Rashmi recently posted..Unique Budget Wedding Decor IdeasMy Profile

Fatima February 7, 2014 at 12:20 am

Hi sweetie, loved your post! Very informative but I was wondering if you can help me with some information, I would be eternally grateful. I’m going crazy looking for the right lace saree but can’t seem to one that tickles my fancy but I really liked your Chantilly Lace Saree, love the colour aswel as I’m after something simple as I have a big statement necklace.
can you please tell me where you bought the saree from? A direct link would be gr8 if they have a website? I live in UK and you really can’t find sarees like this. Mainly are heavy work saree.

Thank you and take care of yourself and others. Xxx