10 Things I Learnt From Bobbi Brown: Take Notes Girls!

by Mehak Shahani on July 9, 2013

in Bobbi Brown, Makeup Tutorials, New Launches

Iv said it before-I am one of  the most non social bloggers there are. I never attend events or press meets, i skip store launches and refuse award ceremony invitations and mostly its because between my full time job as well as Peaches & Blush i can squeeze pretty much nothing in . But when the team at Bobbi Brown invited a few of us over for a small session, i knew i HAD to be there.

DSC06015

The session took place in a suite of a hotel. There were all these cute little snacks for us to munch on- all super healthy mind you. Yogurt with berries, fruit slices with rice crackers, fruit kebabs- Bobbi Believes in healthy eating you see!

DSC06014

Thats Eliano- Bobbi’s Regional  Manager for Artistry and Education – he is  the one who also trains the junior Bobbi Brown makeup artists you meet in stores. He is  with the model for the day. See those chocolates and nuts on the table- i think i finished half the bowl!

DSC06016

Thats our model before any makeup…

DSC06019

Eliano works his magic and gives her a natural, effortless look with just a pop of color! It was so fun listening to Eliano- he had this thick french accent, and he was really sweet and down to earth!

Well, in the course of 60 minutes, these are 10 things i learnt from Bobbi Brown (or Eliano) :

• For covering up dark circles, a concealer is not enough. A concealer makes your undereyes look either ashy or orange…you need to apply a corrector before the concealer. The corrector color corrects your dark circles and then the cncealer conceals. I was BLOWN away by the results of the two together!

• Always try and do your cheeks and lips before your eyes.  The reason is simple- when you start with your eyes, and the rest of your face is blank you look at yourself in the mirror and say ‘I look dull’. So you add more eyeshadow, but you still feel you look dull so you add yet more eyeshadow till its a mess. Bobbi Believes less is more- when you do your cheeks and lips, your skin automatically lifts up and brightens your face. Then you know the correct amount of eye makeup you need

• Bronzer should NOT be used to make sharp contours on the face. This was an eye opener for me. Bobbi says, when you go out to the beach and you get a golden tan- does the tan come as sharp lines on your face? no right? it creates a soft, warm golden film on your face and thats what a bronzer is supposed to do. Use it on our cheekbones and your temples but dont create harsh contoured lines with it- the idea is to make it look like you just had a run in the sun!

• Bobbi Believes that every girl must own a bright pink blush right at the apples of her cheeks- she says thats where you flush after you exercise and thats the only place where you need to apply blush ! If you want to choose which bright pink blush will suit you- put 3 prospective blushes next to each other. Categorise them into the lightest shade, the darkest shade and the in between medium shade. If yr a medium skintones, pick the medium shade , if light then the lightest shade and so on. Its that simple

• Lip Liner should be applied AFTER lipstick, not before.

•  When applying eye liner- always remember to make the liner on the upper lid much thicker than the kohl on the lower lid. This ensures your eyes are opened up

• If you are unsure about how to apply eyeshadow, use the shape of your eyebrow as a guide. Wherever your eyebrow drops, thats where the shape of the eyeshadow should drop too

• BB Creams are meant for oily/combination skin tones. Bobbi recommends that dry skin girls should not use BB Creams- but they are working on BB cream equivalent  meant for us folk too!

• Bobbi doesnt believe in anti ageing ! She says every woman should age gracefully, and that anything with Vitamin C is anti ageing, which is an ingredient present in her skincare but she doesnt believe in formulating a special anti ageing line

• The best selling Bobbi Brown product is the Gel eyeliner. (I have one …its amazing). Eliano says 5 must have Bobbi Brown products for every girl are-Corrector, Concealer, blush, gel eyeliner and lipgloss.

• Every Bobbi Brown store has makeup classes-FOR FREE ! Bobbi Believes that unless she educates people about how to apply makeup , and teach them how to use her products she would only be doing half her job by simply selling them.

One of the reasons i enjoyed this session is also because of  how relevant Bobbi Brown products were in the Indian Market. When Bobbi Brown first launched her range of 10 lipsticks in Bergdorf Goodman, she thought she would sell 100 in maybe a month. She sold 100 in the first day!!!! One of the reasons for her success is that in that era, where there was that entire pin up girl trend of bright red lips , Bobbi was bold enough to launch a range of lipsticks based on tones of Brown! These were everyday, wearable lipsticks and if you see the shade range you will see just how flattering these are on Indian skin tones !!!

Another thing to rejoice-she makes yellow based foundations. These are perfect for our skintones too, and considering that Bobbi is truly a leader when it comes to base makeup (they have been voted as the preferred choice for base makeup), i know i need a Bobbi brown foundation in my stash

shagufta July 9, 2013 at 10:16 am

amaaazzingggg tips,…… very informative…thnks for sharing mehak… :)

Bonny Sikdar July 9, 2013 at 10:46 am

Total eye opener when it came to the Corrector & the Lip liner application. And yes Bobbi Brown products are just amazing. I too have their gel eye liner and it works wonder right from a smoky to a bold eye make up. Thanks Mehar for listing down the doables so well.
Bonny Sikdar recently posted..Reviewing RIMMEL Glam’Eyes Day 2 Night MascaraMy Profile

Bonny Sikdar July 9, 2013 at 10:49 am

Sorry for the spell er..Mehak

lucky July 9, 2013 at 10:58 am

So much to learn :)
Will keep them in mind, thanks for sharing Mehak

Bharti July 9, 2013 at 10:58 am

Great post Mehak :D. I’m so glad Bobbi Brown finally opened up here! I learn’t few new things with this post you have done and omg, those flowers look amazing :D.
Bharti recently posted..♥CouponzGuru – One Stop Place To Get Discounts and Coupons♥My Profile

Deepti July 9, 2013 at 11:06 am

Awsum tips… i definitely learnt a thing or two.. i have never used Bobbi Brown foundations..but i am surely going to try now..

Gowthami July 9, 2013 at 11:16 am

Great post mehak… Glad they opened up finally!! amazing tips :)
Gowthami recently posted..A Surprise Jewelry Giveaway!My Profile

xuvious July 9, 2013 at 11:19 am

Nice post! I didn’t know about the lip liner…
xuvious recently posted..Colorbar Velvet Matte Lipstick in Thrilling PinkMy Profile

Swagata July 9, 2013 at 11:22 am

Thanks Mehak for sharing the tips…and the snacks look yumm yummm :p
Swagata recently posted..NOTD: Nail Art : INTERCONNECTEDMy Profile

Richa July 9, 2013 at 11:23 am

Amazing Post Mehak! It’s really a great compilation….The tips are very helpful..I wish they launch a store soon enough in Mumbai too!
Richa recently posted..Rimmel London Lasting Finish Lipstick in Airy Fairy; Review & SwatchesMy Profile

Bhavna Singh July 9, 2013 at 11:52 am

Great tips! :) I have always been applying my lip liner after the lipstick ! ..Good thing Bobby Brown thinks the same way as me.. lol :D
Mehak am a little confused regarding the blush application on the apple of the cheeks. I have learned dt one should apply blush as per the shape of their face . So if you have a round face u are not supposed to apply it exactly on the apple of ur cheeks? ( I am asking bcz i have a round face !)

mehak July 9, 2013 at 12:22 pm

Hi BHavna,
I always say that apply blush according to your face shape…if you want your face to look slimmer etc…but bobbi’s point is..forget slimmer etc..apply blush to apples cos thats where your natural flush is…depends on what you want to do. if you want a slimmer kind of look then do it accordin to the tutorial i had done on blush for face shapes, but if you want just a nice, post exercise flush do it on the apples

Bhavna Singh July 9, 2013 at 11:15 pm

Oh ok! Makes more sense now. Thanks a lot for clarifying it for me :)

Preeti Kaur July 9, 2013 at 12:09 pm

amazing tips Mehak :)
Preeti Kaur recently posted..Faces Go Chic Lip Gloss Bubblegum ReviewMy Profile

shivani July 9, 2013 at 12:27 pm

I know all about bobby brown corrrectors and their magic but haven’t tried one yet. Gonna buy one asap. Thanks for the tips :)
shivani recently posted..Makeup Bag Essentials for School, College or WorkMy Profile

Shikha July 9, 2013 at 1:11 pm

those tips are so helpful.. on weekend I tried using concealer though shade blended well and matched skin but within an hour I could see this look diff from rest of my face.. A corrector is required-Noted
I dnt have a dark pink blush needs to add that too… Nice post Mehak, thanks for sharing.. :))
Shikha recently posted..Lotus Herbals Colour Dew Nail Enamels- Crimson Red 912My Profile

Crazy Indian Bride July 9, 2013 at 1:13 pm

Oh wow! Thanks for sharing this, its a total eye opener, so many things here that I knew nothing about and so many more that I was doing wrong, like the eye shadow thing. I do my eyes first and then when I am finished I have to keep my blush and lip gloss minimum to balance, never thought about doing it ulta.

also I never used concealer on the under eye because of the same reason it looked ashy on me, will try it with a correcter.

And the bronzer really!? the MAC SA taught me to do sharp contours…still confused how to use it perfectly…Mehak do you have a post on how to use it correctly?? or can you do one please! Also do us wheatish girls really need it??
Crazy Indian Bride recently posted..DIY Universal Saree Blouses!My Profile

mehak July 9, 2013 at 4:06 pm

HI CIB !
I skip bronzer usually- when yr naturally bronze, then why bother..willtry and do one though.

n July 9, 2013 at 2:22 pm

Eye opener tips! thanks, Mehak! I luv their gel eyeliner too.
I totally agree with the cheeks-lips first , then eye makeup. I used to do it the other way round (got glasses, so used to put the contacts, do the eyes, then rest). Then just as a trial, I happened to do it the BBrown way and the snaps came out much better.

Shreya July 9, 2013 at 3:27 pm

Omg so many lovely tips … The corrector and concealer thing is soo right. …. Want their corrector badly … I didn’t find it online :(
Thanks for sharing these tips and tricks with us :)
Shreya recently posted..L’oreal True Match Super Blendable Foundation ReviewMy Profile

happygoluckygal July 9, 2013 at 4:14 pm

OMG..so much of things we neglect and these are the things which matters. glad Mehak you made to the getogether ,otherwise we all would have been n dark :)
happygoluckygal recently posted..NYX Mega Shine Lipgloss -144 Copper Penny Review and Lip SwatchesMy Profile

shruti July 9, 2013 at 5:55 pm

really gud post……. luv it
thnx for sharing…….. :)
shruti recently posted..top 3 picks for monsoon…..My Profile

Heena July 9, 2013 at 6:59 pm

Loved the post!
I’m soon going to save money, buy products n get free makeup class too! :D

Btw, One Query-
Why is is That BB Creams Are Meant Only For Oily/Combination Skin?
Heena recently posted..A Little Inspiration, Maybe?My Profile

thevowsandbeyond July 10, 2013 at 4:16 am

Lip liner after the lipstick, and “doesn’t believe in anti-ageing”
Love both these tips – thanks!!
thevowsandbeyond recently posted..Pre-Wedding Shoot 1My Profile

Rajvi Bhow July 10, 2013 at 12:51 pm

i think the part about starting makup with your lips and cheeks is an eye opener for me.. this post is reallly really helpful.. i hope theyve launched in bombya as well..
Rajvi Bhow recently posted..How to wear red lipstick and not look dramatic!!My Profile

Nigar July 10, 2013 at 3:55 pm

You could always use an orange pencil to correct the purple tones of your under-eyes (as i have) before applying a concealer. I use Illamasqua’s one and it really helps!

Although Kayennat uses the corrector and she loves it.

I never thought of doing blusher and lips before eyes! Makes sense though doesn’t it ..

coralcrue July 10, 2013 at 5:55 pm

I am blown away by everything you have mentioned, The corrector and then concealer…wow! it’s like a light-bulb moment for me. what a nightmare, each time i wear concealer it just accentuates my dark circles more!!! thank God Bobbi Brown is here and you are so privileged to have been there :)
coralcrue recently posted..Why Looks Should Not MatterMy Profile

Karishma July 11, 2013 at 1:59 am

I am super excited with the arrival of Bobby brown in India!
Great tips.
I think that there are no absolutes in makeup. Everyone should explore and experiment to see what tips/products work best from them.
Karishma recently posted..Five Awesome Beauty Products under INR 200!My Profile

Tanya July 11, 2013 at 11:22 am

I enjoyed this post so much – from start to finish! Loved the tips.

Bhumika July 11, 2013 at 11:50 am

Loved the tips..lip liner after lipstick was a good one..
Bhumika recently posted..OOTD: Striped DressMy Profile

gk July 11, 2013 at 5:16 pm

those tips were great
esp the lipliner .. thanks so much mehak

Sonaluna July 11, 2013 at 6:23 pm

I was in Delhi for a day yesterday on work and we finished early so I thought I’d visit the Bobbi Brown store. [Yeah I was very focussed on work - thought of shopping only after :)]
No luck though – it was raining, traffic was nuts and had been diverted. Some roads were closed as well. Our driver was so enthusiastic and tried many approaches to get to Saket but we kept getting stuck and eventually gave up because we needed to get to the airport on time. Sigh. Hope a store opens in Mumbai soon.
Did you get any samples at the press meet Mehak? Look forward to your review of their products. I use their lipstick Brownie and it’s great for every day wear.
Sonaluna recently posted..So is Spring Breakers any good?My Profile

tarannum July 29, 2013 at 3:58 pm

WOW!

I already followed some of the steps like using lip liner after lipstick…

but thanks a ton for such expert tips Mehak… they are very useful!