Iv said it before-I am one of the most non social bloggers there are. I never attend events or press meets, i skip store launches and refuse award ceremony invitations and mostly its because between my full time job as well as Peaches & Blush i can squeeze pretty much nothing in . But when the team at Bobbi Brown invited a few of us over for a small session, i knew i HAD to be there.
The session took place in a suite of a hotel. There were all these cute little snacks for us to munch on- all super healthy mind you. Yogurt with berries, fruit slices with rice crackers, fruit kebabs- Bobbi Believes in healthy eating you see!
Thats Eliano- Bobbi’s Regional Manager for Artistry and Education – he is the one who also trains the junior Bobbi Brown makeup artists you meet in stores. He is with the model for the day. See those chocolates and nuts on the table- i think i finished half the bowl!
Thats our model before any makeup…
Eliano works his magic and gives her a natural, effortless look with just a pop of color! It was so fun listening to Eliano- he had this thick french accent, and he was really sweet and down to earth!
Well, in the course of 60 minutes, these are 10 things i learnt from Bobbi Brown (or Eliano) :
- For covering up dark circles, a concealer is not enough. A concealer makes your undereyes look either ashy or orange…you need to apply a corrector before the concealer. The corrector color corrects your dark circles and then the cncealer conceals. I was BLOWN away by the results of the two together!
- Always try and do your cheeks and lips before your eyes. The reason is simple- when you start with your eyes, and the rest of your face is blank you look at yourself in the mirror and say ‘I look dull’. So you add more eyeshadow, but you still feel you look dull so you add yet more eyeshadow till its a mess. Bobbi Believes less is more- when you do your cheeks and lips, your skin automatically lifts up and brightens your face. Then you know the correct amount of eye makeup you need
- Bronzer should NOT be used to make sharp contours on the face. This was an eye opener for me. Bobbi says, when you go out to the beach and you get a golden tan- does the tan come as sharp lines on your face? no right? it creates a soft, warm golden film on your face and thats what a bronzer is supposed to do. Use it on our cheekbones and your temples but dont create harsh contoured lines with it- the idea is to make it look like you just had a run in the sun!
- Bobbi Believes that every girl must own a bright pink blush right at the apples of her cheeks- she says thats where you flush after you exercise and thats the only place where you need to apply blush ! If you want to choose which bright pink blush will suit you- put 3 prospective blushes next to each other. Categorise them into the lightest shade, the darkest shade and the in between medium shade. If yr a medium skintones, pick the medium shade , if light then the lightest shade and so on. Its that simple
- Lip Liner should be applied AFTER lipstick, not before.
- When applying eye liner- always remember to make the liner on the upper lid much thicker than the kohl on the lower lid. This ensures your eyes are opened up
- If you are unsure about how to apply eyeshadow, use the shape of your eyebrow as a guide. Wherever your eyebrow drops, thats where the shape of the eyeshadow should drop too
- BB Creams are meant for oily/combination skin tones. Bobbi recommends that dry skin girls should not use BB Creams- but they are working on BB cream equivalent meant for us folk too!
- Bobbi doesnt believe in anti ageing ! She says every woman should age gracefully, and that anything with Vitamin C is anti ageing, which is an ingredient present in her skincare but she doesnt believe in formulating a special anti ageing line
- The best selling Bobbi Brown product is the Gel eyeliner. (I have one …its amazing). Eliano says 5 must have Bobbi Brown products for every girl are-Corrector, Concealer, blush, gel eyeliner and lipgloss.
- Every Bobbi Brown store has makeup classes-FOR FREE ! Bobbi Believes that unless she educates people about how to apply makeup , and teach them how to use her products she would only be doing half her job by simply selling them.
One of the reasons i enjoyed this session is also because of how relevant Bobbi Brown products were in the Indian Market. When Bobbi Brown first launched her range of 10 lipsticks in Bergdorf Goodman, she thought she would sell 100 in maybe a month. She sold 100 in the first day!!!! One of the reasons for her success is that in that era, where there was that entire pin up girl trend of bright red lips , Bobbi was bold enough to launch a range of lipsticks based on tones of Brown! These were everyday, wearable lipsticks and if you see the shade range you will see just how flattering these are on Indian skin tones !!!
Another thing to rejoice-she makes yellow based foundations. These are perfect for our skintones too, and considering that Bobbi is truly a leader when it comes to base makeup (they have been voted as the preferred choice for base makeup), i know i need a Bobbi brown foundation in my stash
Subscribe Updates, Its FREE!