The Bridal Files (SIL Edition): 5 Months to Go!

by Mehak Shahani on July 15, 2013

in Bridal Blog, Bridal files countdown

Incase you are new to P&B, you may want to first read the Bridal Files in Sequence to know what this is  all about:

1. Bridal Files 6 Months to Go

2. Bridal Files 5 Months to Go

3. Bridal Files 4 Months to Go

4.Bridal Files 3 Months to Go

5.Bridal Files 1 Month to Go

6. Bridal Files 5 Days to Go

7. The Youngsters

8.The Mehendi

9.The Engagement

10.The Wedding

11. One Year on….

12. The Bridal Files (SIl Edition ): 6 Months to go

The Bridal Files (SIL Edition) counts down the time to my Sister in Laws wedding in December!

Agent BridalFiles (SIL Edition) is reporting from Hyderabad this time – as both me, the boy and my SIL are in Hyd  for 3-4 days before we get back to the Delhi grind !! With just about 5 months to go, the family needed to regroup, take some tough decisions (like- should we have a dhokla counter to keep the Gujaratis happy) and shop in Hyderabad for the SIL’s trousseau.

Finalising the Events

Remember when i told you about the engagement in Mumbai in  October and then the Sangeet and Wedding in December.Turns out- that may not happen! The latest brainwave of the family is a close knit morning wedding, a big party the same night in Hyderabad, and then the reception in Mumbai in January. Dad in law is happy because he always wanted this, SIL’s In laws will be happy cos they don’t need to come down for too many days over here, SIL is happy because she can wear pastelish lehengas. Im thinking Peach, Pink or Pink and Mint Green or Sky Blue and Coral. But really, its not my wedding so i shouldn’t even be thinking about such things !!!

Also- after my own harrowing experience of standing on stage for like 4 hours with the weight of a 100kg rock on my head (read: dupatta) , i think this setting is perfect. Lets chuck the stage on the party, let the bride and groom mingle about from table to table and lets have a super awesome photo booth on the side, where i can obsessively click photos of myself and drag myself into whatever snaps i can find.

Ideas for photo booth people??? Nothing too cartoonish- both families are slightly traditional and i dont think would appreciate the bride and groom looking like this:

But something elegant and classy like this :

Yes. Minus the couple kissing. The Sindhi’s will spit out their papad’s and the Gujju’s will choke on their dhoklas if that happens !

Though side note- on my wedding the Pandit was super cool and at the end he did say ” You may kiss the bride” . The boy claims he leaned over to kiss me but i quickly turned so he got my cheek. Thats one of my fav wedding photos!

Finalising the Engagement/Reception Outfit

Remember that pale pink saree my SIL tried with the blue cropped jacket in the previous bridal files?  The one i freaked out over because it way wayyy too light? Well turns out she is probably not wearing that for the Bombay event. SIL is wearing a jacket lehenga.  She is wearing a lehenga with a small bustier at the top and a  sheer jacket on top of everything. Fabrics are rich brocades and silks and in colors of coral , peach, orange. One of our family members is a brilliant designer based in Mumbai so she is making the outfit ! I cant wait to see it !

Shopping in Hyderabad for Bridal lehengas

Now, without any offense to anyone living in Hyderabad, i do love this city but i find it a bit hopeless when it comes to Indian shopping. On one end there is ELAHE, ANAHITA etc who all stock designer names , and on the other hand there is stuff like Neeru’s Emporio which has so much of that tacky net stuff that im flabbergasted ! Apparently everyone from Hyd shops in Delhi and Mumbai ! Mental note- launch a P&B Bridal Boutique in Hyd. People you interested?Im actually serious !

First up we went to a small boutique called M.S (Sounds like my own store ) in Banjara Hills. Pretty, bright colored lehengas in lighter colors and there was a coral lehenga my SIL really  liked, but she said she needs to think over it as it was a bit light (When she says something is ‘ slightly light’ – it means it is super duper light with no embroidery). This hyderabadi concept of light is totally flawed i tell you.

310789_293158107363358_713041962_n

Then a super funny thing happened- we went to this place called Trousseau Cottage. It was in some road number something of Banjara Hills and because it was in tie up with Delhi based designer Ramon Llamba i thought hey ! This may be nice.We entered the store and there  were about ten things in the rack.

SIL ” Do you do bridal stuff?”

Trousseau Cottage Woman ” Yes , we customise everything!!!”

SIL ” Ok, can you show me some of your work? That yv done earlier?”

TC Woman ” Ofcoursee!”

*She opens her laptop and shows us some photos*

*Photo number 1- MY BRIDAL LEHENGA THAT I WORE !!!! Hahah! Me and my SIL are suppressing laughs while looking at each other.

*Photo number 2-5, Manish Malhotra outfits with the P&B logo on them !! LOL !!! Wow this is turning out to be a freaky coincidence*

Me asking super innocently  ” So have you made these?*

TC Woman ” We havent but we can”

Ok atleast she was honest lets give her that but we are not ordering something based on what someone could potentially make.

Then  went yo a local boutique that was recommended to us – Shri Hari Paridhan or something in Jubilee Hills. The stuff was better than some other shops-and the floor length anarkalis were quite nice, but  nothing great like how you just fall in love with something in Delhi? That didnt happen, and the variety was limited and the stock seemed dated.

Round 1 of Lehenga Shopping- EPIC FAIL !

Round 2 is happenin in Mumbai, & Round 3 will happen in Delhi if Round 2 fails as well.

Re-storing MIL’s saree

My MIL is about as interested in clothes, as i am in American Rugby matches. But this time, she took out her own reception saree and i was FLOORED !!! It was a very soft, beautiful pink organza saree with subtle silver zari work and sequins-it seems almost like a kanjeevaram- it had those motifs that south indian sarees have … But the motifs were subtle and the silver was really soft and not loud. I held it against me and it just glistened in the light, literally the fabric glowedddd !!! it was definitely the most beautiful thing in her closet and till today it looked timeless and modern. Something like a maharani would wear!!! She could wear it as is, but i also think it will look absolutely gorgeous as a long structured jacket with a flowy, long trail at the back and a slit at the front. Cigarette pants, or a lehenga skirt underneath.

Secret Confession: No matter what is made of it, and whether my SIL or my MIL wears it , im stealing it in a few years time.

Makeup Artist Hunting

SIL has had a few failed trials. One made her look like 10 years older than herself- which is a pretty big feat to achieve considering she looks like she is 15 and they made her look like she is 35 , when she is actually 25 . The other place patched on loads and loads of foundation and powder and when we resisted they were like ” Arre but abhi toh yeh kam hai…actual day me toh bahut zyada hoega ” . We grabbed our bags and  ran out of the salon, fleeing for our life. I think the powder lady is going to come in my nightmares -running behind me with an evil look on her face shrieking *Powder Thopo* * Aur Powder Thopo*

PS: Sabya store in Hyderabad is a MUST VISIT !!! The decor is as gorgeous as the clothes !

mily jain July 15, 2013 at 12:07 pm

i loved loved loved your post mehak..your witty take on the oh-so-serious things in life makes me feel so much better on a monday morning in office :P

meenu July 15, 2013 at 12:33 pm

WOW! hilarous post and m guessing the experience must have been hilarious too!!
Your bridal lehenga episode… awesome.. i can imagine how funny it would be…

Nidhi July 15, 2013 at 12:37 pm

We named our three month old baby girl ANAHITA..I must go to Hyd and shop at her namesake boutique! maybe they’ll give me a discount :)
Nidhi recently posted..NARS Gina and Gilda – The Mad Men Blushes!My Profile

thedelhibride July 15, 2013 at 12:42 pm

So exciting reading about your SIL’s wedding prep! And it’s awesome how we get a sneak peek into the Hyderabad, and hopefully Mumbai world of wedding shopping! :)
Can you tell us the names of the Hyd MUAs you’ve tried out – for your SIL and yourself – so that we know which MUAs to avoid there?
thedelhibride recently posted..How I found my wedding shoesMy Profile

Shilpa Arora July 15, 2013 at 12:56 pm

Superduper likess for the post !!!! Always loved ur posts Mehak… and the funniest part “Powder Thopo” !!! Hhahaha:)

Shweta July 15, 2013 at 1:27 pm

Mehak! My wedding was punju gujju.. Crazy it was yes! But i loved the meeting if two cultures! From personal exp i can give u a couple of pointers.. Gujjus love sweets.. I am a gujju hubby is punju.. Also i got married both ways.. Punju n gujju style! As i always wanted to wear a panetar sari.. ( traditional gujju wedding attire) .. Drop me a mail if u need more pointers! And a sangeet with some garba steps will add to thefun

Preeti Kaur July 15, 2013 at 2:00 pm

“”The Sindhi’s will spit out their papad’s and the Gujju’s will choke on their dhoklas “” ha ha….. loved reading ur post.
Preeti Kaur recently posted..Outfit of the Day BOHO CHICMy Profile

Heena July 15, 2013 at 2:09 pm

Totally Refreshing Post!! Rotfl!
Heena recently posted..Lakme Clean Up Face Mask Nourishing Glow- No Whitening Strings Attached!My Profile

Shikha July 15, 2013 at 2:26 pm

papad and dhokha… tough decisions to make…. Don’t tell me Neeru’s is all crap… I loved her online shore pics… I had a wish that whenever I will got to Hyderabad I will check them out… Girl you and your lehenga is more famous than you think :)) and will be for years to come..
Shikha recently posted..Inglot Freedom System Blush Shade 47My Profile

Chandana July 15, 2013 at 2:49 pm

hehe.. being a true hyderabadi I could relate to the ‘hyderabadi’s flawed concept of light’.. Every time I go shopping I start my sentence with ‘I want something simple and light’.. I can’t stand bling! And when I attended a delhi friend’s wedding it was a culture shock smack on my face!
If you want good stuff in Hyderabad you need to head to the bylanes of charminar.. Czari (jubilee hills) does some really good custom made lehengas. Kimaya (banjara hills) has some good stuff too! There’s also good ‘ol meena bazaar.

mehak July 15, 2013 at 7:17 pm

cazri i definitely liked a lot !!!!
Charminar huh…can you give some ideas of shops there!

Clothes and Creativity July 15, 2013 at 3:24 pm

Fun post! Nothing beats Delhi in bridal shopping!
Clothes and Creativity recently posted..BOHO CHIC Outfit of the DayMy Profile

Crazy Indian Bride July 15, 2013 at 3:44 pm

Really?! Didn’t think Hyderabad would be such a disappointment.
Hilarious post btw.
Crazy Indian Bride recently posted..Wedding Checklist and a Little bit about me.My Profile

Sivani July 15, 2013 at 7:07 pm

Hey Mehak.
. I live in Hyderabad and I quite understand that Lehengas and Anarkalis to match your tastes might be difficult to find in these designer stores/ boutiques but then Sarees are Indian too! And you find gazzilions of stores that do the prettiest of sarees, half sarees( the south Indian equivalent of Lehengas). It’s only now that brides down south have started wearing Lehengas and the likes for one of their smaller wedding events, if @ all!
But I can assure you that if you know where to go, there are like tens of places that can customise stuff.
Please do mail me in case you require any info about the same. I’d be more than glad to let u know.
And, you must visit Charminar for a feel of the actual Hyderabadi BLING. yeah in capitals..Esp in this Ramzaan season. A must visit just for the look and feel of the place, if not for anything else.
Cheers.

mehak July 15, 2013 at 7:15 pm

HI Sivani
any ifno would be helpful…

Sivani July 15, 2013 at 8:11 pm

Do check out Ganesh nallari’s studio for classy, customisable bridal wear.
ALSO @ no.8, Banjara hills for trousseau.
Czari in jubilee hills. Asmita Marwah’s Reves d’etoile.
There’s this tiny boutique in punjagutta called Ethnia. You get pretty Sarees, suits and Lehengas.
And about MUAs there’s this couple ,Edward and Zing. He’s a MAC MUA and has a Facebook page by name Edward makeup artist. Check out his work and I’m pretty sure you will not need to go hunting anywhere else. His wife Zing runs a studio by name Sero’s in Banjara hills, and she’s excellent too. Just book her for a trial and you’ll be more than happy. I can vouch for this.
Hope this helps.

Mehak July 16, 2013 at 9:17 am

Thanks sivani!
All this is super super helpful !!!

mehak July 16, 2013 at 4:29 pm

Sivani you made my day this is abso brilliant
Im going to check out all these places and hope i eat my words about hyd

Sivani July 16, 2013 at 6:26 pm

Hehe :) I hope so too!
No problem btw.

Sivani July 16, 2013 at 7:13 pm

While ur @ it plz DNT forget going to Charminar . Can’t really pinpoint any 1 particular shop there but go to lad/ chudi bazaar, in and around,there r hundreds of shops specialising in bridal wear. Some are downright tacky but there r exquisite ones as well. Only u need to look around a bit. I’ve seen Sabya on TV saying he shops for his Gota and makhmal fabric from there. :)

reenz July 15, 2013 at 11:50 pm

one of a pakistani bride had worn similiar bridal lehnga as urs on her wedding. she got married way before you. i can show u her pic

mehak July 16, 2013 at 4:28 pm

Ofcourse many people wear the same lehenga- my lehenga is not a secret, im sure 10 people have worn it…
But you cant pull up my photo and say ‘ oh we can make this ‘ …

happygoluckygal July 16, 2013 at 12:50 am

hhahhahaaaaa,….:):) love you SIL version of bridal post, I totally agree to the over chumki dress in HYBD, I love that place but donno somehow the clothes available are not upto the Nizam mark i say :) but definitely pearls are on of the collectibles from there..!!
happygoluckygal recently posted..Revlon Just Bitten Kissable -040 Rendezvous Review & LOTDMy Profile

Maliha July 16, 2013 at 2:00 am

OMG! I cant believe they actually showed you pictures from your own blog, guess who else has been reading the bridal files (mean while copy pasting the pics). H0w come they didnt recognize you? WOW! Imagine if you actually saw someone wearing your wedding lehenga how weird would that be!

Marathi Weddings July 16, 2013 at 9:28 am

I love reading your bridal files!! Waiting to read your Mumbai shopping experience. I am sure you will find something nice :D
Marathi Weddings recently posted..IBFW presents Bridal Luxury Couture ExpositionMy Profile

Abhi July 16, 2013 at 10:18 am

what a great way to start my day :) can watch ur wedding pics again n again…n lukin frwd to more of ur SIL’s :)
Abhi recently posted..In Sneha Arora Lakme Fashion Week Dress: PuneMy Profile

Mittal July 16, 2013 at 6:20 pm

Try sachin for makeup 9855119083

Harini July 17, 2013 at 9:41 pm

Try Edward at the MAC store in Hyderabad. His brides always look perfect!
Also, a super big thumbs up for a P&B Bridal Boutique in Hyd

Himangi October 24, 2013 at 2:21 pm

hi Mehak,

I found, this blog recently I too got married on same day as yours 24th June 2012 in Mumbai. Wish I had found this site beforehand, then we would have shared notes.

The similarity does not end there I too am planning another wedding, only difference its of my sister in Nov’13.

So do keeping posting regularly and amaze your readers.

- Himangi