Bridal Jewellery Series Vol 1: Polki, Kundan, Diamond & How to Care for Them!

by mehak on August 7, 2013

in Bridal Blog

How i Found My Wedding Set

When i was getting married, we didn’t really go hunting a great deal for my jewellery. In our family, the jewellery is gifted by our maama (mums brothers) …so one day my maami called me saying she had seen some really pretty sets , and gold was starting to touch new highs so it was better that we buy it for my wedding as soon as possible. She had seen some sets that she loved but all were  expensive -around the 7-8 lakh mark.

After we  did a quick roundup  of the usual suspects in Delhi- M.Rajsons, Khanna, Mehrasons, Surana etc I pretty much liked every second thing I saw (I was like Oooooh Shinnnyyyy) but my mom still remembered one set she had seen in a local jewellers house. That was the first set she had seen just as my Roka had happened and she still remembered it and soon enough  dragged me along to see it. When I first saw it was like meh! Its ok. But as soon as she draped it on my neck I just loved the simplicity and elegance and classy-ness of it.  I hadnt even bought my lehenga yet, but I knew it was the sort of universal set that would go with everything so i didnt even bother!  Infact my mum and the jeweller insisted i change the pearls in the set to rubies so that it looked more bridal, so i agreed. But when it came with the rubies it just lost its charm for me so I had it re-done in pearls. Then my maami called and INSISTED that i get a real maang tikka matching with it so I did, and im glad i did because now i use all the components of the set so many times. I didnt really care too much for jewellery before I got married, but I think its one of the laws of the universe that you get drawn to expensive royal baubles around your neck as soon as you become a bride!!!

That is my Polki Set with Pearls. The jeweller also sold it to me saying i could break it into two components later on. The choker part and the lower necklace part can be detached. Btw, i hate my makeup in this photo- so loud!

To those who are a tad bit ill versed with jewellery- this is what all those terms mean:

Kundan : This is basically glass. Jewellers cut glass and set it in gold with Meena kari   (colorful Lac) on the back. Kundan sets give the same look as polki except they shine lesser and because its just glass they are also cheaper.

Polki : Its hard to distinguish in terms of looks between Kundan and Polki because they look so similar however Polki is uncut, raw, diamonds. You know those pretty baubles you see on engagement rings- those are not how natural diamonds look like. Those are polished, and cut to precision to look like that. When you dont cut a diamond you get what is called Polki. Similar looking to Kundan but shines a LOT more and is also a LOT more expensive.

Jadau : This is not really a type of  stone like the above two  but its a term that people use wrongly pretty often. Jadau is simply a way of using Kundan & Polki & Meenakari in an engraved setting.  Gold foil is used to set Polki stones with meenakari at the back. Jadau is a technique, Polki & Kundan are stones.

Diamonds: A girls best friend, and obviously the most expensive of the lot!

-Gold : I am actually a big fan of plain gold sets as well, but somehow our jewellers in the North dont do such a great job of making fantastic ones. The ones i love are the antique gold sets where the gold has a bronzed – tarnished look. I also think south indian temple jewellery is absolutely stunning and gold with meena sets are pretty as well. They are really what you should buy if you view jewellery as an investment as you get the highest returns from them.

The gold content in Kundan/Polki sets is low because the gold is used just to make the frame- its filled with lac inside- however some jewellers also put gold at the back which significantly increases the price. Its always important to ask questions such as “What is the gold grammage on the set”or “How much percentage of the cost is gold cost”- specially if you look at jewellery from an investment perspective

A Kundan set with pearls and rubies

A polki set from Khanna Jewellers

A four string Kundan necklace with emerald drops

Our Real Bride Anju had the most stunning Gold Jewellery. Read about her here

How to care for them:

Polki/Kundan – Do not keep them in those velvet jeweller boxes if you want the shine to remain intact. Put  Polki in between sheets of butter  paper and store in a plastic air tight box.  Not sure if this works for kundan but to keep Polki shining as ever, this is what needs to be done.If your Polki/Kundan set looks tarnished -you can send these for polishing.

Diamond: These can be stored in velvet boxes, but when your diamonds start to loose shine- this is the only way to get their sparkle back. In warm to hot water put a dash or two of washing powder and drop your rings and earrings in there. Wipe with a clean towel once out-they will be spanking new.

Next post in this series: Shapes and Types of Bridal Sets!

Priya August 7, 2013 at 10:34 am

You looked sooo beautiful on your wedding day! Usually brides look very overdone with their sets but yours compliments you very well. Great choice!

Priya xoxo

Xuvious August 7, 2013 at 10:40 am

I’m going to bookmark this post! I honestly didn’t know all these things! Thanks!! ^_^

Gowthami August 7, 2013 at 11:26 am

Great post !! Anju’s bridal set is stunning and i love antique sets a lot though my mum never accept for it!!

Tiny August 7, 2013 at 12:31 pm

Such an informative post Mehak ! Loved that ‘Kundan set with pearls and rubies’ the most !!
I have always planned to get one of those or one with uncut diamonds for My Big Day :D

Shikha August 7, 2013 at 12:32 pm

Nice post.. I like dull/antique gold.. but yellow gold is no-no for me.. I was in love with jewellery that Anju wore when I saw her post.. specially her jhumkas.. sighhh… I have also invested in kundan set :) Initially my mum was against buying kundan/polki. I think all mums have love for blingly yellow gold.. but now I think even she like it.

Aditi August 7, 2013 at 12:38 pm

I agree with Shikha…yellow is a big no for me as well!
Btw you look divine!

Deepthi August 7, 2013 at 1:35 pm

Informative post Mehak, honestly didn’t know all these things.

Shireen August 7, 2013 at 2:21 pm

Loved yours and Anju’s pieces! I am a really big fa of polki and kundan jewellery but for me nothing works better than plain gold in an intricate design!

Marathi Weddings August 7, 2013 at 2:32 pm

Thanks for the info. I had very ltd knowledge about Polki. Both the women (mom and MIL) went against me buying Kundan or the likes after our family jeweller told them about Kundan being glass and many jewellers consider the weight of the lac in gold weight. Nevertheless, can you throw some light on resale value of Polki sets?

mehak August 7, 2013 at 4:18 pm

Hey, Polki like kundan does not have resale…i recommend you buy polki from a big trusted jeweller who gives you a buy back guarantee ..i know many jewellers who deduct 25% of value of set and take back set for always go with abig jeweller

mehak August 7, 2013 at 7:24 pm

If you try and sell the polki to a diff jeweller he wont give you a good rate

Marathi Weddings August 8, 2013 at 9:16 am

Thanks Mehak! 25% is a LOT!!

Supria August 7, 2013 at 2:35 pm

Love Anju’s temple jewellery.

You look beautiful as a bride Mehak :) How much should you typically expect to pay for a polki set, say something similar to the kundan, ruby one above but with polki?

mehak August 7, 2013 at 4:17 pm

Hi Supria, my set was for 4 Lakhs but i got it from a relatively unknown jeweller so cheaper plus family connection plus gold was A LOT cheaper at the time (it was at 19-20K)
Kundan ruby one- i think around 3 -3.5

Supria` August 8, 2013 at 3:54 pm

I expected it to be a lot more Mehak, in double digits. Maybe for my brother’s wedding, if only he budges and gets married soon!

Supria August 8, 2013 at 3:56 pm

mehak August 8, 2013 at 11:16 pm

Sorry, i mistook the one you were inquiring for- yr talking about the khanna one with the long hangings as well right?…yeah that would be around 9-10 ish..i dont think it will be very high double digits though cos the size of the polki still looks small.

Preeti Kaur August 7, 2013 at 2:43 pm

Very informative Mehak :)

Preeti Kaur recently posted.. Maybelline Color Sensational Moisture Extreme Lipcolor Bronze Orange Review

esha jain August 7, 2013 at 4:59 pm

I’m having a major droolfest moment right now!! This is amazing stuff!

Shreya August 7, 2013 at 8:28 pm

Loved your jewellery ! The Kundan necklace with emerald drops is awesome :)

Tanvi August 7, 2013 at 10:15 pm

hey mehak, love ur set. Where did u buy the haath phool from? R they real too, coz i find them very pretty.

mehak August 7, 2013 at 10:29 pm

Hi Tanvi,
Nope i didnt buy the haath phool! Those were artificia

Jane August 7, 2013 at 10:19 pm

Gorgeous! Which of these are yours ? I love the one with the ruby the most. So classy!

Maha August 8, 2013 at 12:24 am

Hi Mehak

The polki set from Khanna is awsome? !is it made of Gold? could u share it’s price?

thank u.,

Mehak August 8, 2013 at 8:35 am

It’s made of gold – not sure of the price but that kind of a set from Khanna won’t be less than 7-8 lakhs

Karishma August 8, 2013 at 3:46 am

Okay this was really informative. If you keep coming up with these posts, I am going to look like a superstar at my wedding :D

Rashmi August 8, 2013 at 1:42 pm

Very nice set Mehak. You look so beautiful !!

Jyoti August 8, 2013 at 1:43 pm

Wow you look gorgeous Mehak :)

Anya August 8, 2013 at 8:55 pm

The jewellery looks intricate!

Clothes and Creativity August 8, 2013 at 8:55 pm

Intricate jewellery!

Bhumika August 8, 2013 at 10:38 pm

Fab post !! I love ur set..and the kundan pearl combo one looks fab !

khushboo August 8, 2013 at 11:45 pm

frankly before ur post , i never knew the difference between polki , kundan i knw..:)..
n nw i knw that i love polki sets..also loved ur wedding lehenga n set !

Diamond Jewelery Online August 16, 2013 at 2:35 pm

Anju was looking gorgeous with the beautiful red saree and jewellery on her wedding. Her look was amazing. I am greatly stunned.

Alice September 23, 2013 at 3:24 pm

I like the polki kundan set as they match well with the ethnic wear & add grace & elegance. I too have a good piece in my collection & yours is also amazing. Good one.

Nupur December 25, 2013 at 9:11 pm

Beautiful pictures. Your blog helped me a lot in finding my bridal lehanga. I am getting married in feb. Like every girl i had some specific thoughts regarding my lehanga. like no fish cut..fulll on ghera.. I explored chandni chowk a lot n found a shop Lehnga house in katra asharfi chandni chowk. They have got awesome variety of lehangas.. Apart from that swaroski stuff.. I got a traditional look lehanga.. I am so much in love with it :)))) Now looking for jewellery. Please suggest where can i get jodha style jewellry :(

bhawani December 27, 2013 at 12:21 am

Mahak ji m ap ko nh janta sorry mene msg kia nd jo mene bola h wo sach nd ap kbi bikaner aao to hume se milna m ap ko jadu polki ka k necles btaoga fir dekhna kn sa ache h
My number 07891340105

Jyoti shokeen August 3, 2015 at 1:23 pm

Kundan is a perfect blending of antique and modern. Fashionable, yet investor friendly. Investing in these jewelery is quite fruitful. The necklace Anju is wearing is old but quite pretty. I think she took right decision and she is looking so gorgeous .

ShreeNandita October 8, 2015 at 11:39 am

WOW Superb I like all the designer pieces but specially I love the kundan set with the combination of pearls and rubies.