Im Off to New York !

by mehak on August 30, 2013

in Uncategorized

Hello Girlies ! Im heading to New York tonight on a business trip for two weeks (Not P&B Business -though i wish it was, but you know that nice company i work for during the day as a Risk Manager- that trip) .  SUPER EXCITED !!! It is my first time in the states so if you guys have some special restaurants, shops etc that you think i should visit do let me know !

Most looking forward to- Times Square , Sephora, Shopping on Labor Day ,  NY Forever 21, Barneys, Nordstrom, Fifth Avenue , Eating NY Cheesecake, Ice cream Sorbets, NYC Yellow Cabs, Steaks and a whole bunch of yummy stuff !!! Ill still be posting and hopefully we can do a ‘Come with me inside Sephora NY’ kind of post !!! SO FUN!!

But the fun shall be limited because i will basically have just about 2-3 days to roam around on my own . The rest of the week i will be in meetings and cooped up in office. Sigh.

At the moment my head is dizzy with the amount of packing i need to do , plus making a shopping list . So far this is what the list looks like:

• Get something for the sisters and the brothers and the husband and the sister in laws and the mother and the father and the mother in law and father in law !
  • New pair of Shades. (Saw the Prada Baroque Shades- they are freaking amazing and quirky!!! So Me!)
  • Juicy Couture Style Track suit.
  • New Bag Maybe
  • New Shoes
  • Urban Decay Naked and/or another palette
  • Nars Blushes
  • Some Too Faced and Benefit Stuff
  • Laura Mercier tinted moisturizer
  • Free Samples from Sephora !

mily jain August 30, 2013 at 6:21 pm

ohhh this is all so exciting mehak..get some super amazing stuff so that we can see great reviews …atta girl!

Sugandha August 30, 2013 at 6:23 pm

Do try out the LORAC PRO palette at SEPHORA, if you dont already have it. And have a blast there! Happy Journey.

Poorva August 30, 2013 at 6:25 pm

try n go to a charlotte russe store , its on the lines of forever 21 but much better. the jewellery is amazing there :)
have fun :)

Poorna August 30, 2013 at 6:27 pm

Bring back a chunk of the big apple. I was there 12 years back with my aunt. I want to go now that I know what I can lay my hands on!!

fiona furtado August 30, 2013 at 6:28 pm

try batiste dry shampoo, opi, ciate, essie and butter london nailpolishes at ulta.. milani blushes… also check mac cosmetics they may have exclusive stuffs there… check out gadgets!!

fiona furtado August 30, 2013 at 6:29 pm

macadamia hair stuff and yeah have fun girl!! share pics and have fun! be safe

bawa August 30, 2013 at 6:32 pm

2 pieces of advice from seasoned traveller. Take minimum stuff, times square is not a piazza, and most of all, DON’T spend valuable time shopping for presents, that last hush-hush, but true!

hiba August 30, 2013 at 6:35 pm

The Sephora store in Times Square is amazing! I spent hours there

Tiny August 30, 2013 at 7:00 pm

that is so Awesome Mehak :D
I am always excitd about your ‘going to places/events’, ‘look of the day’ posts :)

Sunandha August 30, 2013 at 7:02 pm

Hey thts great . . . have fun . . . Chk out Macy’s . . . I always like the stuff there . . . They have sale . . . almost evry weekend.

Am an hr’s drive from NYC . . . so if u need any help do ping me.

Sharon August 30, 2013 at 7:03 pm

You are going to have a BLAST!!
The Sephora at Times Sq is amazing. I think I spent about a week in that store. CVS (Rite Aid) and Walgreens are fantastic for drugstore stuff – There’s one right on Times Sq, I think. Register for VIB Sephora in advance so that you can check whether the items you want are available or not and you get samples too. And dont forget to order online beforehand for stuff thats not available in store.

Dont forget to watch Rock of Ages on Broadway (Or any Broadway musical – Expensive, but oh so worth it!) . Also, if you love food you gotta try – Chipotle, the Halal cart at 53rd and 6th (totally delish!), Ray’s Pizza. And ofcourse, sushi in New York is a must!

I was there for about two weeks last year in November. The most amazing trip of my life! :)

Shivi August 30, 2013 at 7:35 pm

That’s quite a big list! Congratulations Mehak…have a safe trip..Njoy:)

Krithi August 30, 2013 at 7:39 pm

Hey Mehak
I recently went to NYC and shopped like crazy
u should definitely check Macys ,Body and bathworks ,Victoria secret along with your own list :)
all of these are in times square and shouldnt be any issue
I like H&M in US than forever 21 ,so visit H&M ..there is one near to Macys itself…
restaurant -u can check out Rubys woos in times square which is quiet nice …
the feeling of NYC itself is so so good …im sure u will enjoy :)

Krithi August 30, 2013 at 7:42 pm

one more thing …..if u r alone -take one day NYC bus trip …its quiet comfortable to cover up town,downtown ,brooklyn etc etc
while u do hopin hop off u can even shop in all the places mentioned above ;)

Pallak August 30, 2013 at 7:43 pm

My fiance and i were there about 2 weeks ago! I cried while leaving.

A live comedy show is A MUST! They have vendors walking around on the streets. I think it was 15$ a ticket. The shows are at 8.30 and 10.30 in the night. It’s a perfect way to finish the day!

If you’re into biking, a bike tour through Central Park is a perfect way to spend a couple of hours away from the hustle bustle.

Don’t shop at MACY’S. It’s over-rated. Go to Bloomingdales in SoHo. SoHo also has all the other upscale brands.

WATCH THE LION KING ON BROADWAY. There is no show better than that!

Eat at Planet Hollywood on Times Square.

If you want to go on top of the Empire State, go after 8 pm. There are no queues and NY skyline at night is spectacular. If not on top of that, go to 230 Fifth. It’s a rooftop bar on 5th and 27 street. Good place to drink and a very good view of the Empire State. (We went here first and then on top of the Empire at 11pm)

Pre book all tickets on

PS: My fiance is job hunting in Manhattan. I hope it works out!! :D

Pallak August 30, 2013 at 7:46 pm

Also, eat at Shake Shack! They have the best shakes and burgers! Very popular. Its on 691 8th Ave, walkable from Times Square and Minskoff Theatre (Where we saw the Lion King right after hogging the yummy burgers)

Xuvious August 30, 2013 at 7:57 pm

You’re going to love it!!! You need to raid Sephora and get loads of Urban Decay, Nars, Tarte etc!! :D

DP August 30, 2013 at 8:18 pm

You are going to have a blast… the weather’s warm n everyone’s back to school. I have not visited India in a year’s time but last I checked there was a F21 opening in Delhi..dunno how similar or different it is to ours, out here…but plz do check it its like 4-5 storeys high. Accessories, those thong style chap pals, all summer stuff on clearance!! Also check out charlotte russe for accessories, H&M and Zara for blazers/office wear, huge Macy’s for super labour day sales. If u intend to shell out your $$$ at Sephora during your stay, get the beauty insider card during your first visit itself, as u’ll rack up points n will get lots of samplers. I’d also suggest u visit Walgreens/CVS/any drug store for cheaper dupes of high end MAC/Sephora products like e.l.f n NYX. Also, Bath & BodyWorks is always on Sale…lol!! Get those cute lil travel lotions or sanitizers for mum/sis/bestie/sil/ma-in-law/urself.
Foodwise…umm…dont visit those chain-type restaurants…cuz they r in India, too..blahhh. Please (I can’t stress enough on the Please) try the Halal guys, as already mentioned…I’m sure u’ll not miss them as u walk down NYC streets, cuz their aromas are helluva yummy. If u want to have your very own SATC moment, go to Magnolia Bakery for decadent cupcakes. Max n Brenners for Charlie & the Chocolate Factory feel or even Jacques Torres/Le Atelier/La Maison du chocolat. Watch a musical on Broadway, walk down Times Square at night having gelato ;) , hope onto one of those city tour buses….most of all have fun n do let us know how it goes for u :))

uma August 30, 2013 at 8:20 pm

Sephora is having a sale now and please go to the theatre plays they are out of the world!

snigdha August 30, 2013 at 8:35 pm

Awesome!! m next door so gimme a shout if u need company. hv fun!

kiransingh August 30, 2013 at 8:39 pm

wish you a happy trip :)

SoumyaP August 30, 2013 at 8:57 pm

Just sent you an email with an extensive list of places to shop. Have a safe trip!

Arbee August 30, 2013 at 9:04 pm

Hey Mehak, I have been a silent reader of ur blog for a while and totally love it! I have been to NYC quite a few times, and apart from everything else that has been recommended, I would definitely recommend Century 21 – its basically this huge departmental store that sells designer rip offs and the stuff is quite kicka**! Also, if u r cost conscious, do take a short train ride to New Jersey and shop as its tax free – although they may not have the current season’s styles like NYC, but the stuff is very decent. Whereas NYC shopping means a 8.5 – 9% tax. And I personally loved visiting Greenwich village and 5th ave is where you’ll find the latest styles. Just my two cents :D

Arbee August 30, 2013 at 9:05 pm

comment in moderation!

Shikha August 30, 2013 at 9:58 pm

wow.. thats awesome girl, have a good time and shop a lot.

akhila August 30, 2013 at 10:44 pm

NY is pure love. go to 34th street, known as fashion street. u will find so many brands on that street. do not – i mean do not miss worlds largest macys in 34th street. jc penny in manhattan mall, starbucks (which is everywer) chipotle (mexican food), go to some costco and pick up madelines these are heaven in a cookie …. if u are a fan of comfy shoes try birkenstocks they are generally on sale … go to sweet tomatoes and soupplantation (subway is a very boring distinct cousin of soup plantation) eat street food in NY …. NY is a place wer u get variety of food never miss any food opportunity. travel by metro/subway its just an experience, empire state bldg (34th street) is one place to watch and take pictures – all the best – enjoy your trip – I love NY

akhila August 31, 2013 at 2:53 am

and yes Victoria’s Secret on 34th street, CVS, Duane Reed (drug stores which store awesome skin care stuff). If you want to shop electronics as gifts to the men in family then best buy shd be on your list which is some blocks away from 34th. You also get to see some super awesome banks on the same walk 1535 broadway Morgan Stanley, HSBC, CHase all these are just few blocks away. go to 7th street 42 avenue for time square and u wud also get to see nasdaq beside there. few blocks away u can see madame tussadds wax museum…… and the ferry ride to catch a glimpse of statue of liberty – the grand welcome. niagara from the US side and buffaloes’ biggest mall…. NY is really endless and boundaryless ….

also I wud specifically request you to put up ur ootd pics for office plus the make up breakdown … I have a visit coming up in Nov I am researching what to wear (clothes and make up) … your OOTD pics and make up pics will help a lot …. BIG APPLE IS AWESOME – have loads of fun

Princess-butter August 30, 2013 at 11:46 pm

You have to go to Max Brenner’s. The best restaurent in NYC. There is F21 obviously, HnM, Macy’s, Charlotte Russe( but I dont like it too much cuz it houses very mexicanish fashion, and is a bit in the errrr side, i hope you know what I mean, or maybe its in California)
Buy your drugstore makeup in walmart or target rather than CVS, walgreen kind of places cuz its atleast a dollar cheaper, my personal experience. I am in San Diego since 4 years now.
And Victoria’s Secret screams for a visit!

Preeti Kaur August 31, 2013 at 1:17 am

Have loads of fun and show us as many pics as you can ;)

Preeti Kaur recently posted.. Maybelline Color Sensational Bold Matte Lipstick Mat 2 Review

Bhumika August 31, 2013 at 1:24 am

ooo..thats awesome..lucky u :D Ya, do check the Lorac Pro Palette ! Looks awesome..and tarte stuff too..Enjoyy :)

Archana August 31, 2013 at 9:58 am

Welcome to this part of the world :-)!!

Madhi S. August 31, 2013 at 4:03 pm

I lived there for 7 years when I was younger. And my only advice is that you shop til you drop and You MUST eat out as much as you can. The US is the most diverse Food Capitol of the world especially NYC. definitely check out the McDonalds (the size of their menu is humongoous compared to MCdonalds India), Culver’s, A&W, Krispy Kreme(you will never look at a donut the same way ever again after you eat at KK), Buffalo Wild Wings, Pizza Hut (they have this thing called Wingstreet, basically just different types of wings), Chuck E Cheese’s (it’s actually like a FunCity, but if you wont be too embarassesed going there, do try their pizza), Cold STone Creamery, Ben & jerrys, Dairy Queen, IHOP for pancakes, Red Lobbster for seafood, Olive Garden, OUtback Steakhouse, Steak n Shake, etc. And since you’re in NYC, streetfood is a must and NY style pizza, which is meant to be eaten folded

Madhi S. August 31, 2013 at 4:51 pm

And for shopping I suggest the cheaper yet good quality makeup products like ELF, Wet n wild, and NYX of course is cheaper there. Burts Bees, Too Faced, Smashbox, UD nakeds, tarte, Josie Maran, Bare Minerals,Milani, the Balm, Physicians formula, lorac, OCC lip tars, Sonia Kashukk, Ecotools, Yes to carrots, Bath and Body works, jemma Kidd, Victoria’s Secret are other brands you don’t get easily in India, so you might wanna check them out.
And for general shopping, you must visit Walmart just for the heck of it and have your mind blown from how big it is. And Target is like a classier Walmart. And wholesale retailers, Costco and Sam’s club are also really fun to visit. But it wouldnt really make sense buying from there considering your’e only staying 2 weeks. But it is very fun to get lost in one and their food is amazing. But I warn you when you shop at these places you come out buying things you really dont need.

Bhumi August 31, 2013 at 8:26 pm

Take lots of pics please! Have fun & stay safe :)

Sunandha August 31, 2013 at 10:03 pm

And dont forget to chk out Milani Jewel FX Nail Laquers, Milani Baked Blushes, Maybelline Colorshow Nail polish (denim collection is my favorite), Maybelline vivid lipsticks. OPI Liquid Sand polishes, Zoya Pixie dust

Sunandha August 31, 2013 at 10:12 pm

Forgot abt the UD vintage 24/7 glide on pencils. Its nw 6$. Dont forget them.

Renuka September 1, 2013 at 12:13 am

Welcome to New York. Other than the above mentioned suggestions, you can try Junoon for fine dining (Michelin star, owner Vikas Khanna). Also do take a walk south on Broadway from Macy’sat 34th St up to 27th St for amazing and extremely cheap accessories. You won’t be disappointed. I walk by this stretch for my daily commute to work and always end up buying something or the other :-)

shivani September 1, 2013 at 7:39 am

I’m from Canada and have been to the U many times. I would suggest that you go to Laduree (Madison Avenue, New York). They are the worlds most famous Macaron makers. GO THERE FOR SURE! :)

Shreya September 1, 2013 at 10:13 am

Hey girl enjoy your time !
I just love New York :) ! Times Square is my fav shopping destination ! My fav Indian restaurant there is Utsav ! <3

Richa Saxena September 1, 2013 at 11:50 am

Wow! Have loads of fun dear…I went there only once & I can still remember the dazzling lights of Times Square….Do visit the MAcys..Its the biggest out there…And go to the chocolate factory I have heard they have some interesting stuff out there… :)

Maliha September 1, 2013 at 8:18 pm

Hi mehak i higly recommend checking out henri bendel they have some really unique stuff. also if you are gonna get a bag get something from mulberry they are durable and the Alexa bag is great as it transitions from day to night easily. i have had it for 3 years and it looks good as new! For restaurants umm there are a lot but when i lived in new york i kept going to laduree cuz the macarons there are HEAVEN!!
Also can you do some travel related posts like what makeup you took with you or what you keep in your carry on bag!

Shilu September 1, 2013 at 9:15 pm

Great news Mehak !! bookmarked this page coz just look at the comments !! i mean, this is most practical page to search for what to do in NY in very short time !! i loved the comments.

Marathi Weddings September 3, 2013 at 7:56 pm

You are a Risk Manager too!! I always thought you are an economist. So nice to know something common between us.. I am sure we will get good reads on the US whereabouts!