Hello From New York!!!!

by mehak on September 2, 2013

in Uncategorized

Isnt this gorgeous?? Sure its a concrete jungle, but this is the view when is step out of my apartment- the heart of the financial district.

Hiiiiiii !!!

It is Day 2 in New York for me (actually more like Day 1.5) because i reached here like 5 pm yesterday and the first day went horribly. I was dead tired yet determined to explore the city and i just lost my way and walked around in circles !! I was so exhausted that i slept without eating  (had a bag of choc-chip cookies- so much for staying fit) ,  just could not figure out the Subway system and gave up!

But Day 2 started off great !!! Since i will be working throughout the week, i wanted to get most of today Thanks to Mr.Jet Lag, i woke up at 5:00 am, and after changing into my tracks, i did something i have never done in India before. Went for a morning walk at 6:00 am! There is a gorgeous view of the Statue of Liberty just a minutes walk down my apartment here, so i walked around the park a bit and hunted for some New York Style Breakfast. (Confession: The thought of walking down the road to work, grabbing a starbucks and a cupcake is like the  SATC moment i wanted to have ) . But most of the coffee shops were not open at that wee hour so i stopped by a Grocery store and got myself some bread, Pancetta , Yogurt and cereal !! Then i came home and was cooking my Pancetta- till the smoke alarms went off ! Ermm. Yeah that was awkward.

First thing i noticed– People are so friendly here !!! Well some of them (the ones who are not rushing) . I mean, you walk down the road and everyone smiles and is like ‘Hey how are you’ . One guy even stopped and asked me ‘  How are you today? What are your plans for the day ? Where are you headed’ ‘ etc.  At 7:00 am, he was making PC with me !

Second thing i noticed– A New Yorkers definition of  ‘walkable distance’  is totally screwed up! They call 30 -40 minutes walk – a walkable distance.  I mean, im a Delhi girl okay ! Sure i wear comfortable footwear, but when you tell me ‘ Oh that is just around the corner. You dont  need to even take the Subway for that ‘ , you might want to consider that i dont live in this city where everyone seems to be walking ALL THE TIME. My feet are like killing me right now- .

Third thing i noticed– The Customer Service is amazzzinnggg ! The minute you enter the store, theyr like ‘ Hey, whats your name? How are you? Im ‘ Latoya- I like you shirt’ . I mean i had an entire conversation with a store attendant where i explained what my name meant to him, and he thought i looked Persian + Indian mixed up and he pretty much told me his entire life story. It is so fun, because even though i am all alone here shopping- you still feel like you have people to ask how stuff looks on you. Specially the service at the American Eagle store was AMAZING! Compare this to the SA’s in India and its a WORLD of difference.

So on Day 1 i actually headed to SOHO ! SOHO is a street with an eclectic mix of brands like American Eagle, Forever 21, H&M etc and then they have the higher end brands like LV, Prada, Micheal Kors and in between all of this there are these NYC boutiques with some nice, off beat options.

Here are the stores i spent a LOT of cash on:

American Eagle was on a flat 40% off and i think i spent close to a 100$ in that store. They had a ‘ Jeans fitting expert’ called Latoya who was AWESOME ! She told me when my butt looked flat, when the fit seemed a bit loose, etc etc. In about a 100$ i got:

• A new pair of jeans
  • 4 Collared Polo T shirts for the boys in the family
  • One basic mens t shirt.

I thought that was pretty good ! 6 things and one store that solved all my ‘ mens gifting’ issues

Sigh. Victoria Secret was like heaven ! It was super exorbitant though, one piece of lingerie was for like 60$ because it was not on sale but everything was so gorgeous and dreamy! I saw a few things i liked, bookmarked some stuff in my head that i will go back and pick up.
One thing i did spend on- The Victoria Secret Yoga Pants. I LIVE in these in the winter in Delhi you know? Like literally LIVE in them- till the boy is  sick of seeing me in my VS hoodie and trackpants ! They are super comfy, super amazing for travelling and in general to lounge about in . I got ones which have a broad hot pink lace border which says ‘ VS PINK’  on it and then theyr solid black in color.

I also entered Top Shop, H&M, Zara, Bloomingdales(LOVE) , F21 , American Apparel and a bunch of boutiques. I didnt buy too much for myself because im the kind of shopper where i have to like see EVERYTHING and then make sure i am buying the best deal out there (Super Annoying i know!)

I also got like a peplum top but i might return it because i think i bought it just out of desperation to shop. Hmm, will show it to you guys in the next post, help me decide.

Dissapointing stores: Forever 21. Maybe iv outgrown the store, and maybe this one in SOHO didnt have the best collection but i didnt find a single thing i really wanted here . Oh well.

Okay i got to go now, its Union Square time !!!! This has been a rather rambly post, ill try and get you some shopping and outfit photos next!

PS: Guys, THANK YOU SO MUCH for the recommendations in the earlier post. Also huge thankjs to Soumya and to Jharna who wrote in to me telling me everything in Detail. It was SUPER HELPFUL!

Dolon September 2, 2013 at 2:37 am

Wow..2nd day and you are already on a roll!! Have fun girl and I’m so waiting to have my SATC moment some day!

gayatri September 2, 2013 at 2:56 am

Well it is the labor day weekend…the whole states is on sale!! I was out shopping all day yesterday..Anyway you should also check out banana republic, loft and coach. They have got some super cute stuff! And definitely go to macy’s if you haven’t been yet..they’ve got everything under the roof there! and they will give you some extra discount considering you’re not from nyc. you should check it out. And ya..if you shop at banana republic..you will get an additional 10% discount on gap (and gap is on 50% off whole store already!!) And yes please lay your hands on some bath, body and works stuff..it’s not that expensive..and they have amazing products.

Princess Butter September 2, 2013 at 3:46 am

Glad you had fun! NYC is one of my favorite cities in the world, after Pune of course…. ;)
And I kinda agree about F21, I have outgrown it too…. My American friends barely shop from F21, Papaya, Aeropostale and Charlotte Russe… Specially, Aeropostale’s quality is not that great… I realised eventually only tourists or new students end up going there…. I like Banana Republic, H&M, Ann Taylor and Loft…. Check around for Saks Fifth Avenue….
Are you living in Manhattan? It seems you are close to Battery Park, or on the other side in NJ…. Please do go to Max Brenner’s (also called chocolate by the bald man)… Its heaven…. And have potato skins, chocolate syringe there… You should also try out Melting Pot( lovely fondues, specially Fiesta)…. To get a bite of NYC culture, a visit to the local breweries is highly recommended along with some local wood fired pizza places…. Avoid the chains like plague!

Sunandha September 2, 2013 at 4:29 am

we were supposed to be in the city today bt backed out the last min since it was supposed to be hot :P

Chk out Macys . . they have 20% off sale for labor day and american hollister also has 40% off the whole store with few stuff on 50% off . . .

And do try out chinese takeouts . . . so not like Indian ones.

Princess Butter September 2, 2013 at 6:46 am

It is a funny thing, but Hollister outlets make me sneeze! Haha….
Are they the same decor on east coast? In CA they are all dark and surfing themed with focus on sexy legs and abs! lol

Sunandha September 2, 2013 at 6:33 pm

oh yeah def the same . . . dark . . . hubs always finds deals there . . . me nt much. bt their jeans and jeggings are to die for.

Poorva September 2, 2013 at 5:42 am

so cool :)
im in chicago atthe moment n totally agree abt the 3 things u wrote!!! :) have fun :)

Krithi September 2, 2013 at 8:17 am

even i had major disappoint in forever21 store in US
i guess that is how they r :)
check H&M u may lke it

shilpi September 2, 2013 at 9:35 am

Don’t forget to visit an Ulta store for makeup, its like heaven !! Bath n body, aero n def pick up a pair of sports shoes for yourself, they r awesome in the US:)

Rashmi Thakur September 2, 2013 at 10:04 am

That was an amazing post..waiting to see the peplum top

Clothes and Creativity September 2, 2013 at 11:07 am

Keep the fun posts coming, Mehak!
And try doing ootd posts.
Also, how about a haul post once you’re back?

swastika September 2, 2013 at 12:28 pm

This is such an awesome post – you can singlehanedly increase the tourist number to NYC..i want to go there right now – I understand you have work – but please please do as many posts from there as possible! I would love a post on street style – NYC version..

Jyoti September 2, 2013 at 1:30 pm

Gr8 Mehak. Keep enjoying and writing such fun posts. Loving reading them :)

Preeti September 2, 2013 at 5:16 pm

If you have time go to the Jersey Garden Mall (in New Jersey) and visit the VS store there. Its like a factory outlet and everthing is quite cheap there. You can pick up loads of stuff and their quality is superb!! I bought mine 4 years back and they still look newer compared to any brand I’ve bought here!

DP September 3, 2013 at 5:29 am

^ +1 for Jersey Garden Mall. You’ll save a tonne on taxes. Plus, there’s Gilly Hicks by Hollister (i think…or one of those west coast brands) = lingerie thats always on sale!! You shall bump into loads of gujju ppl there :)

Renuka September 3, 2013 at 7:38 am

+1 for Jersey Gardens. You can also try visiting Woodbury Commons for luxury designers factory stored like Gucci, Versace, Jimmy Choos, Prada etc.

roopa September 2, 2013 at 6:06 pm

way to go girl. love reading ur NYC posts and abt what u’ve shopped from there. Have bookmarked certain stuff to shop when Im there. .. err.. dunno when. Im not a fashion cpnsious girl.. I like to window shop more and then decide what to buy… but yes like u did.. look at everything. hmm… too much info here. Enjoy ur time Mehak and make every moment count

Maliha September 2, 2013 at 11:05 pm

Do try Hollister and Abercrombie and Fitch! they always have great stuff and oh yeah Bath and Body works has some great candles though they can be a lil expensive like 20 dollars for one but i have lately tried yankee candels and the target brand candles and they are just as good maybe even better. Oh yeah if you like the smell at the abercrombie store mahogany teakwood from BBW smells exactly like that store. For high end makeup nordstorm sephora neiman marcus and space nk have great deals.

coralcrue September 3, 2013 at 1:38 am

I just love learning about new cities in the world. this post has been a nice eye opener. please do more about NYC :)

Shaili Shah September 3, 2013 at 10:19 pm

Hi Mehak ,
I happened to stumble upon your blog about a month ago and i love it . I am a freelancing makeup artist and have worked for a while in Mumbai until i moved to the US in 2009 . I studied make up in new york and did my cosmetology in arizona so im pretty familiar with the new york . I’m not going to tell you the usual F21 and american eagle places im sure you will find those on your own .
Some of my fav little boutiques are Necessary Clothing which has about 2-3 shops all along on broadway in Soho . the clothes arent fancy but you can find some really great separates if you dig well .One place which I LOVE is called Variazioni( http://vznyc.com/locations/) it has multiple locations but trust me the clothes are fab and one of a kind !
For makeup there ofcourse is sephora etc …..but make sure you visit the MAC pro store on 7W 22nd street , they have a photo studio and a makeup books library . Also go to the makeupforever free standing store in union square coz they have a lot more stuff than the sephora stall . Do check out MUD ( makeup designory ) store thats the academy i went to . Their lipsticks & eyeshadows are fab and super pigmented . ( 375 W broadway ) .
For food the cheesecake has to only be from juniors in times square all others are fake hahah .
Also if you like to try other food and like korean ( but its veg ) go to this place called Hangawi .
For mexican my 2 recommendations are rosa mexicano and caliante cab co.
Hope all of this helps ! If there is anything else in particular that you want to find mail me and ill be glad to help you out :)
Have a fun first trip !

Shaina September 4, 2013 at 3:04 am

Actually everything between India and US is a world of difference, there is no poverty there when in our country one side there are the rich people and on the other a huge contrast of the severely poor. It’s a difference between a first world and third world country afterall!