New York City Update !

by mehak on September 4, 2013

in Uncategorized

Today was the first day of actual work in NYC . I felt like i was on the set of suits…im not kidding- everyone is so formal and all stylishly office-y here- they make our India office clothes look totally frumpy. You know how its like ‘Shirts and Pants’  are the staple for formal office dressing for women. Noone wears that here- everyone wears either like formal tops (silk high neck sleeveless tops, formal cross over blouses, cowl neck tops) or totally drool worthy dresses (Saw this one nude dress on a girl in office today- a frill going down one side and then plain nude throughout worn with coral high heels). Oh yeah- high heels…people work to office in flats / sneakers and then change into heels (their heels are stashed in the office drawer). Full respect to these women! They get up early, get ready, walk to work, work and then go back home and cook ! WHA?

The buildings around the area are sooooper high !!!! By the way, this is the area where the twin towers were- its right next to our office. When i walked past it today, i literally got chills thinking about the day when that plane would have struck.

The traditional NYC yellow cabs. Super Expensive by the way- spent like 50 $ for a 20  minute ride.

More on work later…over the weekend (Sunday) i took a trip to Union Square and just explored some of the areas around my appartment.

unsq-shops13Nordstrom Rack is one of the first shops i entered- this is basically like discounted Nordstrom stuff that i am guessing does not get sold out in the main nordstrom stores. Found some nice outfits, but more than that i flipped out because the sunglasses were a STEAL !

So far, i had fallen in love with a pair of Prada Glasses, with rose detailing- but they were 280 USD in Sunglass hut, which is okay, i was fine with spending upto about 300, but then in Nordstrom Rack i saw a pair of Miu Miu sunglasses originally  priced at 200 USD marked down to..wait for it….60 USD !! WHAT. Are you kidding me.

Tru story: Opened my bag to pay and realised i didnt get my wallet. So had to head back to the appt to pick it up and go again.

Okay the shades make me look like a giant bug. Like a giant Ladybug or something- but i love.

See- Mehak the Miu Miu  Bug. Bzzz.

un-sq-shops1 unsq-shops12 unsq-shops11The Forever 21 at Union Square was actually really great !!!! I bought  a black and white striped casual cross over top…and a little black dress (8$ can you believe it- why do they kind of rip us off in India with 2200 Rs dresses !?)

I also stopped by at Century 21 which is this humungous store featuring brands at discounts… Some of the stuff here was really nice- i got a Calvin klein top with ruffles at a pretty good price!

That was SEPHORA which was AWESOME. It was HUUUGGEEE !!!!!! What did i buy? Errmm..well okay i went to the Urban Decay Counter , and saw the UD Naked pallette and it was totally gorgeous , but then honestly it is useful for people who do a lot of everyday kind of eye makeup stuff. I am not an eye makeup person, im a face person. So i bought:

• Becca Radiant Creamy Concealer : BEST CONCEALER EVER. The SA was Soooo nice and spent lik 30 minutes trying on different concealers on me
  • NARS Orgasm Blush
  • An OPI Polish
  •  Laura Mercier Tinted Moisturizer sample

One of the really helpful sections of sephora is the travel sized sections (Thanks to Soumya who pointed it out to me). This section has a smaller sized version of a lot of great things in store (Much more than Sample sizes- kind of like 50% of origina size) and these are a great affordable way to shop.

The Street carts in NYC are so fun ! This pink Fro-yo cart is a staple at most street corners

newyork-street-food2Hot Dogs, Halal Carts, Rolls – all totally YUMMY. Chicken and rice at the Halal cart – Oh my god.

max-brenner0restaurant1Another Oh my god moment.

Max Brenner.

It is like a chocolate lovers ultimate dream destination. Its a whole freaking restaurant dedicated to chocolate for gods sake.

max-brenner0restaurant3 max-brenner0restaurant2I got the eighties milkshake, and they have a bunch of really yum savoury stuff as well.

Okay, more updates later. Maybe ill get you a stylish work update while secretly clicking all the women and their work clothes.

Right now i have Ben & Jerry’s New York Super Fudge Chunk Ice cream tub waiting for me along with a new Suits Episode.

Chris September 4, 2013 at 7:52 am

The Sephora at 34th street is a lot better (if you went to the one at Union Square, which I think is meh).

wajiha sajid September 4, 2013 at 8:35 am

i am literally enjoying your NYC posts :)

Faiza September 4, 2013 at 8:59 am

I also visited US this year..and I enjoyed shopping alot there..US is the best place for shopping I think so…They always have the best deals, they always have the best sale prices..I enjoyed alot there while consuming my money in shopping…:-) I visited Opitz store..this is cheapest store there with all branded goodies…But this store is only in Minnesota state..they have 70-80% off price tags..You can check it if it is also there in NY..

xuvious September 4, 2013 at 9:34 am

You’re having an awesome trip! Seriously, I wish we would wear things like dresses (simple ones) and heels to office! Especially when it comes to more MNC types in India but these days even jeans and t-shirts are fine…

R September 4, 2013 at 9:42 am

glad that you are having such a fabulous stay there.. have a great time n keep posting.. its fun to see NYC.. take care

kiransingh September 4, 2013 at 9:53 am

U t having really wonderful trip … love it :)

mounica September 4, 2013 at 10:20 am

Hey Mehak ! Whats the lipstick you were wearing? You look damn pretty ^.^ Waiting for more NYC updates !

Mrinalini September 4, 2013 at 10:29 am

Mehak, if you crave Indian Chinese, go to Chinese Mirch.. its awesome!

shivi@COSMOCHICS September 4, 2013 at 10:34 am

Early in the morning we get to see such a pretty face and such attractive post! This post is full of hotness!!! More posts… more posts!!! Luv New York:)

anks September 4, 2013 at 10:40 am

what are you wearing to work mehak? please post your outfits!

aonecentlife September 4, 2013 at 10:45 am

Ohhhh!! Miu Miu!! I want…!!!
Is there anyway I can get a pair too???

Nidhi September 4, 2013 at 10:58 am

I’d love to visit New York seem to be having a great time!
I’m lusting after a pair of RayBan Clubmaster sunglasses these days..these MIU MIU ones look good on you

coralcrue September 4, 2013 at 11:10 am

I can only imagine what it must have felt to walk past Ground Zero. God Bless those souls. I am in love with your NYC updates, it’s almost like am waiting for them each morning now. Loved the descriptive review on work wear on women there. omg, 50$ for cabs. no wonder everyone walks, that’s too much money!!! they need to introduce pooled cabs. They really rip us off here when it comes to paying for dresses. i’m getting close to envy now. Please, Mehak, can you bring back NYC to India? We could make a whole city by chucking off some barren dessert on our map. I think NYC is for us girls. and when you talk about the food, I just want to scream esp with all that chocolate. the pics are super duper tempting. I will wait for your secret sneaky post on candid shots from work wear hahahhahaha

Bonny Sikdar September 4, 2013 at 11:28 am

Your NYC posts are really interesting Mehak. Keep up the good job. Start doing a travel blog as well ;)

priyanka September 4, 2013 at 11:54 am

Loving the NYC posts!!

ID September 4, 2013 at 12:28 pm

would love to visit NY someday and shop like crazy :)

Bhavna Singh September 4, 2013 at 12:51 pm

MAx Brenner!! My most favorite place in NYC! I have literally tried everything on their menu :P. I wish the would open a branch in India. Can u plz eat/drink something from my side as well. :D

mehak September 4, 2013 at 6:43 pm

aha sure ! What would you like me to eat on your behalf.

Princess Butter September 4, 2013 at 10:17 pm

Cheesy potato skins
Corn croquettes
Chocolate syringe
Chocolate surprise tiramisu
I am sooooo glad there is one max brenner closer home too. Vegas, babay!

Krithi September 4, 2013 at 1:06 pm

i agree on gals dressing so good back in states..
they wear proper make-up as well..
drool worthy for sure
loo,king fwd for more updates from you.

Preeti September 4, 2013 at 2:07 pm

Absolutely right about them stashing their heels in their drawers at work. My colleague. a Russian lady. when I was in NYC, used to have 3 pairs of super high heels in her drawer; black, nude and a matte red. And she ran (I can hardly call it as walking!) to work in her super comfy sneakers. A mother of 2, her day started super early, she came, worked and ran back home to cook, teach her kids, feed them, tuck them in and then go on her BB to work some more!

Tara September 4, 2013 at 2:07 pm

Loved ur shades and the whole NYC update….even I was thinking that u might have actually clicked piccies of those high formal women….would be waiting for them now *grin* Have fun!

Chandana September 4, 2013 at 2:37 pm

“Mehak the Miu Miu Bug. Bzzz.” haha! You are too cute with words!
Loved the NY mini tour :)

swastika September 4, 2013 at 3:05 pm

Yes please – to the sneaky work wear post!
you are totally making me want to go there – we have a office in NYC too- I wish they will call me for some work someday..fingerscrossed!

Tiny September 4, 2013 at 3:33 pm

your NYC posts are sooo good. ! I wait for this every day :(
MY next destination is surely gonna be NYC…*so jealous of you *
have fun…waiting fr more posts…

Swati September 4, 2013 at 3:33 pm

Super cool post, you are absolutely right. Girls there dress up so perfectly for work !!! I learnt the trick of walking to office in flats or sneakers and changing to heels in office during my work trip to UK. Now I follow that while driving to office :) …

Shruti September 4, 2013 at 4:13 pm

Haha you are so star struck by NEw York Mehak, it reminds me when I came here give years ago to start grad studies at Columbia!
Anyway, just some of my personal faves listed out :
Magnolia bakery. Skip the atrocious cupcakes and gorge on the banana pudding. You are welcome ;)

Brunch on weekends at Good Enough To Eat. Long lines but totally worth a wait for this hole-in-the-wall.

Picnic in Central Park. Love it when the trees change color.

Dinner in West Village. I love Malatesta for Italian but honestly there are so many out there, you will be spoiled for choice.
Oh well, I could go on but I leave you with these for now.

mehak September 4, 2013 at 6:16 pm

I totally ammm! iv been meaning to go to Magnolia but havent found one close by. Oh really ? No to the cupcakes? Ill try both- company expense ;)

Jane September 4, 2013 at 8:30 pm

Please tell me you are gonna walk the streets of upper east side with a coffee in your hand. I always feel like I am in a movie (think “You’ve got mail”) when I do that. Sigh , I haven’t been to Newyork in almost a year since I had my baby and I live right by in NJ.

Also, feel free to ask samples from Sephora of products you want to try. They are super friendly! If you go to Greenwich Village eat Strwaberry, banana and nutella crepes from The Creperie. I die just thinking about it. Right opposite to that is Mamouns falafel..Yummmm!

Shruti September 4, 2013 at 8:41 pm

Haha good idea. Oh and kathi rolls at the kathi roll company. Love them!

Princess Butter September 4, 2013 at 10:21 pm

Try going to Hoboken and visit Carlo’s bakery, Cake Boss fame.
@Jane, is it worth the hype? My friends say it is reallllly good!

Jane September 5, 2013 at 8:14 am

@princess- if you are asking about the creperie,I would say you gotta try it atleast once. More than the crepe itself, its the filling inside….man, I have a major craving now :)

Princess Butter September 5, 2013 at 9:35 am

No no…. Have you heard about Cake Boss fame, Carlo’s Bakery? It is in Hoboken, and I asked you cuz you wrote you live in NJ…… Let me know if you know about it! Time to visit NYC again….. :D

Jane September 6, 2013 at 12:19 am

Ah , yes I have heard about it , but I have never been there yet.Although I have heard a lot about it. :)

Garima September 4, 2013 at 7:04 pm

haha…i can totally relate to these women who have their heels stacked up in the office drawer…i am ALWAYS in flats/wedges outside, and come 9 to5 meet the few inches taller and sexier me ;-)

Garima September 4, 2013 at 7:08 pm

oh and u got a steal for 60$…lucky you!!! i had my heart on this real chic black shopping bag from Bugatti…stashed down from 320€ to 100€…i did not take a min to make it mine :D :D :D

Jharna September 4, 2013 at 10:06 pm

Mehak! I forgot to mention- at Max Brenner you must try this chocolate cocktail called Satisfaction Guaranteed- i can vouch that is the best cocktail you will ever have! You cannot taste the alcohol! its insane.

Princess Butter September 4, 2013 at 10:24 pm

Its yummm! They should rename it to chocargasm! I had 2 and got quite drunk on it!

Jharna September 4, 2013 at 10:36 pm

haha its sooo YUM! best cocktail ever :)

Surbhi September 4, 2013 at 10:56 pm

It must suck that you live in India. I am a new yorker and love my life here. Sad for you that you don;t get al this stuff in disgusting india! lol

mehak September 4, 2013 at 11:50 pm

Errmm..excuse me.
New York may be a fun trip, but i love my life in India. I love the people, i love the place..and you know what…our metro kicks the NY subways ass.

Princess Butter September 5, 2013 at 12:45 am

Errrr Surbhi, you clearly are SO starry eyed! Sorry to break your bubble but you get everything in India. But Do you get pure jari, resham saree in NYC at fair trade price? And the biggest thing I miss is Halwai ka Pani Puri. It kicks ass. I love being in the states but life in india is better, thank you very much. Oh btw, the toilets in battery park are disgusting, and if i may say so, at par with public loos in Mumbai. Gaaah…

Garima September 5, 2013 at 2:51 am

when folks from India/Indian background/ancestry have such awesome views…no wonder why people in this world have such twisted thoughts on India…way to go Surbhi!!!!

keep loving your NY life…nvr get back to the disgusting India…like plz!!! :-)

Swastika September 5, 2013 at 9:14 am

No trip..however special the place is , can replace home, family, living in your OWN country..every place has its own charm and specialities.. Visitors, tourists love India and its uniqueness..sad to see you couldn’t relate to that despite being Indian or having Indian ancestry.

apeksha September 4, 2013 at 11:06 pm

Hi Mehak,

Luv ur NY updates!! Also in India too ladies come home and cook :-) u c all boys do not agree for maids u c :-) they luv their wife cooked food

Sivani September 5, 2013 at 1:11 am

Surbhi u poor girl! Tch tch! U DON’T know what u r talking. Pity.

DP September 5, 2013 at 3:12 am

Oh u had chicken over rice…yummmm, welcome to the club *droooolsss* & hey hey, lets not be mean now! Both the places have their own charm and thats why we have airplanes…so that we can travel to and fro when we miss the place, n most of all, our ppl…hehe :)

Sunandha September 5, 2013 at 8:01 am

I used to stash my pumps in the draw in office ( I was working in UK) . . . mainly wen it snowed. Come to office in boots and change back to heels and then back to boots :)

Shreya September 5, 2013 at 1:37 pm

Wow awesome pictures ! I’m missing US so badly now :D Miss shopping in Macy, Target, Sephora….

Bhagyashree September 5, 2013 at 5:05 pm

You may want to try some ethopian food there..its freakin awesome..

roopa September 5, 2013 at 5:58 pm

OH MY GOD… am so J Mehak…. give us some more pics. I totally dig NY city and its way of living… and the SALES are to just die for…. not like how they have in India.

renu September 7, 2013 at 10:14 am

Reading your post made me so nostalgic.
The Fall colors in NYC must be brilliant, you must go to the Central Park.
And Mehak !! Don’t miss the 5th Avenue. !!!!!!!!!!!!!
waiting for more updates.

Payel September 9, 2013 at 3:28 pm

It was really a pleasure reading your post. I love how you shared all your experiences & have highlighted small small things …the simple pleasures of life. It was really entertaining & looking forward to read more of your experiences in NYC.

mitali September 10, 2013 at 4:12 pm

Mehak!! I am thoroughly enjoying your NY posts!
I haven’t been a regular, college keeping me busy.. Just logged in blogger and saw your recent NY post..and I am like “Whoa! When did Mehak go there!”
Remember when you were about to get married..I was the one who’d said “I like your wedding posts..and you remind me of a cousin sis of mine.” ;)

I LOVE travelling and its my dream to go all these awesome places..I am going to come back to your posts! :D

Have lots of fun!! :D