NYC Photo Diary: Weekends !

by mehak on September 12, 2013

in Uncategorized

My workation has now shifted from NYC to Phoenix and after the buzz and hustle bustle of New York, Phoenix is seeming so dull and depressing to me ! So while i am reminiscing about  my weekends in New York, why dont you follow me around on the Weekend Photo Diary of NYC ?? For the Weekday photo diary go here

Pssst: I return to India in about a weeks time. Im getting a bit homesick now- specially because today is the boys birthday :( and i cant be there to celebrate it with him and that really sucks.

new-york (78)

Get on the Subway Station and head to- 34th Street !

new-york (42)

This is where the Macy’s store is . It is two blocks long and absolutely MASSIVE. It is so big that honestly, it is a bit annoying. I mean there are like what 4 floors of womens stuff and each floor is as big as a mall in itself. There are so many options that at the end of it, i just felt so overwhelmed and couldn’t decide or buy anything .

I did love the Bag Section here. All designer handbags, but all absolutely gorgeous. I know which one im investing in next!

PS: If you show your foreign passport you get 15% off ! Also- they always have some great deals on so check before hand.

A store that is great for gifting is Aeropostale- i wouldnt buy it at full price but  I bought SO MUCH STUFF from here because there is this crazy sale on right now where they have their basic Aeropostale t shirts for really cheap . These are just regular tank top kind of t shirts in a lot of cute colors.

Also- scored a jacket  for the boy which was originally priced at 80$, marked down to 14$. Bought some cute t shirts for my sister, some for me, but mostly a lot of nice gifting options…also they had a 25$ additional off if you bill a 100$.

I also stopped by at Banana Republic, Payless (Got a good deal on some cheap shoes), JC Penney, H&M,  Zara .

new-york (44)

Okay enough shopping till 1 pm . Now lets walk to lunch ! Its New York-  walk everywhere!!

new-york (48)

Another must do item in New York is BRUNCH ! The Brunches here are awesome because they give you unlimited Mimosa’s for a very cheap price. yes. UNLIMITED Fruity Alcoholic Yummy Drink to make sure your Saturday starts off sufficiently buzzed.

I walked to 34th Street, 3rd Avenue where there is this absolutely delightful little italian place called La Giara. Really nice food and its half open, half closed so on a nice sunny Saturday afternoon its perfect to lounge about. I ordered Salmon with Penne in Vodka Sauce and then took full advantage of the unlimited mimosa’s

new-york (54)

I love how i could look at the sidewalk with the warm sun filtering through !

new-york (53) new-york (52)

What a perfect way to start a Saturday haan?

After countless Mimosa’s and lot of giggles, we walked to the subway station and headed to …Central Park.

First of all, the walk to Central Park itself is gorgeous. I want to stay there at Park Avenue !!!!

new-york (62)

My friend eating Candy Floss at Central park.

new-york (59) new-york (60)

The Park itself is absolutely gorgeous.

new-york (63)

These archways are where a lot of couples get pre-wedding shoots done. They are soooo stunning. The ceiling has these gorgeous blue enamelled tiles and there are violin players on the side.

new-york (65)

A Bride and Groom who just got married heading to get photos clicked in Central Park. I LOVE how she did her hair and her dress was gorgeous! Also the first time i saw the bridesmaids wear black and carrying a white bouquet- kind of effective right?

new-york (68)Central Park is full of little surprises- there are fountains and archways on one side and ponds and shruberies on the other.

new-york (70)

There is a pretty bridge under which you can go boating as well.

After spending a little time lounging about in Central Park, i headed home to put up my feet and try on all the stuff i bought! Then at night, i headed out again (Yup- make the most of weekends even if you drop dead)

new-york (32)

One of the boys cousins is in New York and he took me to West Village . This is kind of like the cool, student district of New York and NYU is just around the corner. It has TONS of restaurants and bars and pubs and funky places and lots of interesting characters to notice and see.

We ate at this place called Mamou’s or something like that. Best. Falafel. Ever. Also had the grilled chicken wrap which was yummyyy!

gayatri September 12, 2013 at 6:13 am

Mamoun’s :))

Princess Butter September 12, 2013 at 7:16 am

Suggestion: Aeropostale tees should be washed like sweaters. They go bad after a single wash. They are like the sasta 200 rs. tees we get in India.
Source: Experience.

Supria September 12, 2013 at 8:06 am

I am loving these follow me around posts Mehak. Your previous post where you had mentioned people work crazy hours got me thinking… My work life balance is fantastic in London, I work 9-5:30 and that is it… whereas my friends back in India slog innumerable hours… Not sure if it is that way only in NY or if it is to do with different job profiles etc

Princess Butter September 12, 2013 at 9:39 am

I have days where I work 7.30 to 4.30 and get out. There are days where I am at work ill 7 pm. I am a mechie. All my Software Engr friends work exact 8 hours and get out, whatever time they enter. Oh, this all is in States. They pay overtime really well, except higher levels. Mechies dont get paid overtime unless they are over 4 hours in a week and at higher levels. I think this depends profile to profile.

mehak September 13, 2013 at 12:08 am

hmm…so in india i have fixed hours, but there isnt any paid over time and we typically log in and do over time from home…its more of a rat-race phenomenon there honestly. I find people here are more content and work is one part of their life- its not like they go crazy trying to get higher yknow?

Gayatri September 13, 2013 at 1:32 pm

I’m in the states.. And I work 6 to 6! Sometimes even more with only one day off a week! So believe me.. It depends on your job profile. Anybody wants to guess what I do for a living?? Lol. I’m a doctor and let me advice you.. If your friends/kids want to become doctors.. Give them a tight slap on their cheek! IT IS EXHAUSTING!!!

Aman September 14, 2013 at 1:56 am

Tell me about it! i’m one too, in india, n i wish someone had slapped that idea out of my mind.. Lol

supria September 15, 2013 at 10:40 am

Haha a doctor herself slapped that idea out of me 8 years back!!!

Mehak I have witnessed the rat race myself… right now I am so happy with my work life, it is just a small part of my life and not sonething that is all consuming…

Clothes and Creativity September 12, 2013 at 10:28 am

Mehak, posts like these are way more fun to read than make-up tutorials :)
Just want to know which designer bag are you planning to buy? I have been thinking of getting myself an LV-Speedy 30.

Clothes and Creativity September 12, 2013 at 10:29 am

Mehak, posts like these are way more fun to read than make-up tutorials :)

Ana September 12, 2013 at 10:41 am

Go for a broadway show. You can get cheap last minutetickets from tkts booth at times square.

Ashima September 12, 2013 at 11:03 am

Love these posts Mehak! :) Glad to see that you are making the most of your time there! :) I had the same experience at Macy’s! Went there because of all the hype but as soon as I stepped in, I started feeling suffocated with the amount of stuff they have! I was out of there in less than 10 mins! :)
Payless has one of the most awesome deals on shoes! I have picked up a lot of shoes from there and they all last a very long time!
If possible please do visit Levain Bakery for some of the most AWESOME cookies you will ever have in your life. They are located at 167 West 74th St. Trust me, you will not regret this! You can also get some packed to carry them home! They last for more than a week! My mouth is actually watering as I type this! :P

Shivi@COSMOCHICS September 12, 2013 at 11:05 am

lOVELY PICS!Central Park looks like a fun place!! Picture perfect place:)

Shaili Shah September 12, 2013 at 1:27 pm

Phoenix after NYC must seem dull but it is a very beautiful place . I lived there for a year and a half .
Scottsdale is the place to be , all the great restaurants lounges bars . Mills Ave which is in tempe is more of the college campus bar are . my fav place there is the library bar . The BEST and one of my all time fav places to eat is Pita Jungle , there are a couple of locations do check it out ! Other than that there is some great shopping at scottsdale mall something you will like as opposed to the individual shops in nyc . plus since it is a hot city they have different clothes and stock in phoenix which is more wearable in India . Enjoy :)
p.s. im sure uve had taco bell but since ur all the way west try deltaco its another fast food taco burrito place but its awesome !

mehak September 13, 2013 at 5:19 am

Thanks for the reco’s shaili…my main problem is i cant drive, and there seems to be no public transport where the office is (Desert Ridge) so im kinda stuck in the hotel :(

Shaili Shah September 13, 2013 at 9:25 am

:(( I know its hard to get around Phoenix without a car . They have a light rail in certain areas , check if someone from your office can take you to the scottsdale area coz ull find everything there and you can walk from the mall to the bars ( it is ridiculously hot though ) . Anyways hope it still is a fun trip and u take back a great experience from ur first visit to the US :)

Shreya September 12, 2013 at 2:34 pm

Mimosa and Candy Floss both are my favourites! I sometimes used to hate shopping in macy’s because of the unlimited collection that left me confused :p
Enjoy your time :)

Preeti Kaur September 12, 2013 at 3:58 pm

I am so enjoying these posts :)

Preeti Kaur recently posted.. Inglot Freedom System Lipstick 20 Review & Swatches

roopa September 12, 2013 at 4:53 pm

Love Love Love Ur posts… Keep them coming please.

poorna September 12, 2013 at 5:16 pm

I hear you when you say Phx is boring. It is for people who want a really quiet life. ESP after NYC and after living in Delhi it must look dead to you. I found Dallas boring too.

Shrutika September 12, 2013 at 6:54 pm

Ohhhhhhh Mr Boy Is A Virgo I knw u can never be far away frum delhi…. ! I Love It

rachna September 13, 2013 at 12:41 am

Love Newyork, its my favorite place to roam around!

Vipra S September 14, 2013 at 1:30 pm

Lovely Pix Mehak :) I love your shades <3
I'm having a great time virtually touring NYC ;) All Thanks to P&B <3
Keep them coming girl !

Karishma September 14, 2013 at 3:25 pm

That bride’s dress is so pretty! Hope you have a great week ahead Mehak.

thevowsandbeyond September 14, 2013 at 8:42 pm