Makeup Trousseau Shopping With My Girls !

by mehak on October 9, 2013

in Bridal Makeup

photo 2(1)-001

See those two faces there? Do they look familiar to you? Maybe because you would have seen them in action in my Bachelorette post pictures. Well, its one year on from that Goa trip and another one of us is biting the dust – one of my four best friends is getting married ! (Well actually two are getting married, but we havent done makeup shopping for the other one yet!)

So Meet Avika.

PR Executive.  Knows nothing about makeup. Makeup IQ equals minus 80

Usually seen in lip balm and kajal.  Bride to be, and is marrying her best friend !

Items she wants to purchase: She has no idea, Budget: No idea. Preferences:Hates Pink.

Let us start with the most important one first- the foundation. You get the base right, it doesn’t matter what else you buy…We headed straight to Bobbi Brown where we pretty much fell in love with the Bobbi Brown Long Wear Liquid Foundation.

photo 1(1)

At the Bobbi Brown Store with a different foundation on each side

Completely natural looking  but provides heavy coverage, still covers up everything you want it to cover, feels comfortable on the skin and photographs flawlessly.

SA : “Try these two- One is Long Wear Liquid Foundation and one is this compact creme foundation. This one is very high , full coverage while the other is medium to heavy coverage”

Avika nods head intelligently then whispers to me “Whats coverage dude? I only know coverage in PR- give me coverage for my client types”.

After explaining that to her, we tried one on each side and while the creme one was not for her (too cakey) the liquid one was. Still, since foundation is so important we wanted to have a few options so went to MAC empty handed.

photo 4(1) photo 5(1)

At the Mac store we tried Studio Fix Fluid- which looked nice but she felt it was too heavy and suffocating for her on the skin . The studio fix compact foundation however was quite nice and breathable, but after trying the Bobbi Brown one we realised it wasn’t fit for her skin as much as the Bobbi Brown one  was which just blended in !!! Okay, Foundation decided. Lets shop for Blushes & Lipsticks in MAC!

Avika : “umm so do you apply blush before or after foundation”

Me looking like i saw an alien : “Hainn???? OBVIOUSLY after dude ! Whats wrong with you “

The SA  got out peach twist- which was this gorgeous , warm earthy peach with shimmer and i asked her to try Mocha which is a dusty rose color. Both looked great, but since this was something she would be wearing with Indian wear we decided to go with just one with a pinker undertone- so Mocha it was

We then tried lipsticks.. A WHOLE LOT OF THEM.

We tried- Twig (Definite Winner), Mocha (Liked a lot but lets think about it ) , Chili (She wanted a red and this was the best one on her), Cosmo ( a bit too light on her) and a couple of other ones which she absolutely hated because they looked a little pink and she just wanted very neutral colors.

photo 2

We tried Vegas Volt on us ! Made my other best friend buy it !

We walked out of Mac purchasing 2 lipsticks, a concealer and a blush and headed back to Bobbi Brown to buy the foundation.

We then headed to Inglot for the most value for money eyeshadows. Tried on about a dozen shadows – mostly in shades of gold and after a ton of testing. We finalised on four basic shades:

• An olive greenish gold
  • A copper
  • A neutral brown for day wear
  • A light beige, gold kind of color

We also got this AWESOME Inglot Lip Paint. I cant remember if it was 62 or 64, but it was a beautiful neutral peachy brown on her- very natural and very glossy

photo 5

And thats a wrap! Folks. Half an hour-intense makeup therapy and we bought all of this stuff:

• Bobbi Brown Foundation
  • Mac Concealer
  • Inglot Eyeshadow- Olive Green Gold
  • Inglot Eyeshadow- Brown with muted sparkle
  • Inglot Eyeshadow- Bronze Gold
  • Inglot Eyeshadow- Light Gold
  • Mac Twig
  • Mac Chili
  • Inglot Lip Paint 62 i think
  • Maybelline Collosal Mascara Review
  • Mac Mocha Blush

Peachesandblush164

Shalini October 9, 2013 at 11:32 pm

I can understand how she couldn’t buy MAC after trying Bobbi Brown foundation.. They have the most light weight foundations I have ever tried . Btw Vegas Volt looks good on you :)

Gowthami October 10, 2013 at 12:09 am

Great picks!! :) Just perfect

Smriti October 10, 2013 at 1:04 am

This was so much fun to read! :D

supria October 10, 2013 at 1:09 am

So much fun going makeup shopping with besties! I need to try mac mocha!

poo@beautyandmakeupmatters October 10, 2013 at 7:21 am

Great picks.. and wat a lovely post.. makeup shopping with bestiess. :D :D
and yes her question to apply blush before or after was damn funnyy!! ;)
Vegas Volt I want itt…..

Esha October 10, 2013 at 9:11 am

Thats it!!! dont u need highlighter n primer n god knows what all!!! this looks so simple and easy now, thanks to u!! U r a gem girl… :D

Peachesandblush October 10, 2013 at 10:03 am

Depends on how makeup conscious you are . She’s not going to use half these things plus oily skin with acne so skipped highlighter!!!

Esha October 10, 2013 at 1:09 pm

same is with me dnt use(read as know) makeup xcept fr lippy + have Combination skin so think i should also keep it to minimum…

Preeti October 10, 2013 at 10:17 am

Hahaha!! Can totally relate to the questions asked. All women in my family and hubby’s family with the exception of my cousin and I are like that!

Krithi October 10, 2013 at 10:52 am

I bought Chili this week from MAC
it is a bful red :)

Ankita Singh October 10, 2013 at 12:05 pm

I can identify with her soooo well. Because of my impending wedding I have like a ton of make-up which the MAC guys made me buy “ma’am you MUST take this foundation, that compact, this blush and xyz concealerrr!!!” and I have NOOO idea what to do with them. Two weeks after make-up purchase, I realised I need brushes too and went on to buy those! And now thanks to Mehak and different Youtube ladies I’m learning how to apply all this stuff on myself! :-P
Your tutorials are life-saving Mehak! Thank you :D

mehak October 10, 2013 at 2:31 pm

Haha those mac girls were really pushing us as well-but we kept it to a minimum !
Aww thanks ankita, that mad emy day

Ankita Singh October 10, 2013 at 4:46 pm

You deserve every bit of it Mehak!
Oh may I take this opportunity to request you to do a post on brushes if you have time? As in, a particular product (like foundation/compact/blush) needs a brush that looks like this; which are the best brushes to buy (like MAC is insanely expensive, so Faces maybe??); how to apply stuff using these brushes; how to clean/maintenance of brushes etc.? You know for -80 IQ make-up ignorant clowns like yours truly?
Sorry for another looong comment :-)

TA October 10, 2013 at 12:50 pm

Such a fun post Mehak…loved the read! And vegas volt looks nice. I just grabbed colorbar passionate and loving the pop of slight neonish pink ;)

Charu Sharma October 10, 2013 at 1:09 pm

This post I enjoyed thoroughly…felt like me too shopping with you :) Lovely picks you have done !!

thedelhibride October 10, 2013 at 2:13 pm

I bought the same Bobbi Brown foundation recently, and I LOVE it! Not that I’m a makeup expert, but it’s the best foundation I’ve ever used. I also found the cream formula too cakey. I would’ve struggled with a cream formula, so I bought the liquid one – so easy to use, and SERIOUSLY blends into the skin, like you don’t have anything on! Coverage is awesome as well. Your friend got the PERFECT foundation! :) :) Can’t wait to see more bridal makeup posts by you!

Komal goel October 10, 2013 at 3:02 pm

Hey,
I want to know about inglot eye shadows, are they good enough. I recently bought some shades, but now i m feeling i should have bought MAC. Are MAC shadows way better than inglot?

Ashima October 10, 2013 at 4:48 pm

Mehak I have the same question as Komal. I am done with most of my make up trousseau shopping except the eye make up! Till now I have stuck only to MAC. This post has inspired me to go in for Inglot eye shadows. Are these better than MAC? I am just looking at getting 4 basic shades in brown and pink because I am not really into make up! What do you think I should go for?

mehak October 11, 2013 at 10:49 am

Hi Ashima,
These are not better than mac but i find it a value for money thing honestly. For someone like my friend who is going to use shadows maybe 4 times in a year – i would rather she spent 300 bucks on a shadow from Inglto which is 90% the quality of mac as compared to 1100 on 1 shadow…

For basics, i say stick with inglot but for some special colors- like expensive pink which si a duochrome and i cant find it in inglot i would go with mac.

Ashima October 11, 2013 at 10:56 am

Thanks for this Mehak! Totally makes sense since I am also going to hardly use any of it! :) So Inglot it is then! Will probably buy three from Inglot and invest in the Expensive Pink from MAC! Will look at the Lip Paint as well, since you recommend it!

Tiny October 11, 2013 at 6:57 pm

that was abs fun post Mehak :)
I do miss having someone with me while picking my makeup things, who could actually guide me well :)
Your besties got the ‘best’ one with them *lucky* :) And congrats to ur frnds on their weddings..