P&B Answers Your Anti Ageing Queries With One of India’s Leading Dermatologists: Dr Simal Soin !

by mehak on December 4, 2013

in Features, Skincare

expert-advice

Meet Dr.Simal Soin

One of India’s leading cosmetic dermatologists-associated with P&G  Beauty & Grooming ! Trained at St. Johns Institute of Dermatology, London and Addenbrookes Hospital, Cambridge with an expertise in Cosmetic dermatology for  Antiageing , therapeutic and rejuvenating   procedures for face and body.  P&B got candid with Anti Ageing questions with her- everything about anti ageing in your twenties, to anti ageing when you get older is answered!

Dr. Simal Soin

P&B: Hi Dr Simal, Lets start with the question I have always been wondering. When should you start anti-ageing and why?

Anti ageing like all other fields of medicine should be preventative so it is best started in the mid twenties. The Most important anti ageing potion for all age groups is, of course, sunscreen. For people in their 20s, who do not have any evidence of sun damage, it may be tempting to skip the daily application. The earliest signs of ageing are open pores, patchy dull dry skin, rough texture and pigmented skin.

P&BMid twenties huh. Guess im already  1 year late ! So when i go and pick up an anti ageing cream- what ingredient should i look for? Its super confusing!

Ingredients to look out in anti ageing creams are niacin amide- it prevents glycation, increases cell renewal and collagen production. Apart from that look for antioxidants,  Vitamins c and e  which protect against free radicals, and broad spectrum sun protection which reduces free radical production (High SPF is not enough. You need something with a broad spectrum)

P&B: Ok so my problem is- Does this ingredient list differ in a  cream meant for someone in their mid-twenties vs someone in their early forties? Like how do i know which one is meant for younger women vs those for older?

Yes the ingredient list that you look at will change as you get older . For Older women they need to look at  Retinol, Coenzyme Q10, copper peptides, caviar , alpha and beta hydroxy acids and alpha lipoic acids, hyaluronic acid into the skin care regime. For the younger women, the ingredient list mentioned in the previous question should be appropriate

P&B: Is it true that dry skin ages faster? (My skin is dry)

Dry skin does not age faster but the surface can look more wrinkled if it is not well moisturized. On the other hand oily skin is more prone to acne but the surface looks shiny because the oil plumps the surface. Hydration is a key to healthy skin, women who use moisturizers at an early age (18-30) show significantly less fine lines and wrinkles than the same age group of non-moisturizer users. Early skincare helps to reduce the signs of aging.

P&B:  I do moisturise , but how do I incorporate Anti Ageing  creams into my skincare routine which already has tinted moisturizes and sunblocks? Where does the AA creams fit into- after what, before what?

In an age where we are fighting an uphill battle for  youthful skin, the question that begs is, is your current skincare powerful enough to fight these extra stressors? For example  Olay Total effects Anti Ageing  cream has twice the power for skin renewal. An anti ageing cream can be incorporated twice daily, apply a pea-sized drop of Olay Total Effects day cream evenly  (if at night, substitute with the night cream)

P&B: Is it true that if you start too early,  AA creams can make your skin thinner because of the chemicals and cause  more harm than good?

No not at all. On the contrary if you use anti ageing creams such as Olay Total effects Day cream and Olay Regenerist micro sculpting cream with the right antioxidants it can prevent free radical damage due to environmental stressors.

P&B: So our moms never used these creams. Why do we need to use them? Is this all just a big marketing gimmick?

This generation does have to deal with a lot of stresses, depending on lifestyle choices but smoking, drinking, late nights, junk food can only be so good for the skin! Psychological stress can go as far as to weaken one’s skin barrier function allowing more irritants, allergens and infectious agents to penetrate the skin and cause problems, as well as shorten the molecular countdown mechanism in our cells and may explain how stress causes us to age more quickly

50g_Day_Cream_Normal_SPF15

By the way,  Im currently testing out the New & Improved Olay Total Effects.Iv taken their ‘ 4 week challenge’ or whatever its called and i swear i shall share my honest opinion here! This is what they claim:

The New & Improved Olay Total Effects, with 1st ever formula upgrade in 6 years now includes 40% more Vitaniacin vs current Olay Total Effects. That gives you the extra power to fight back in all that you care about – be it beauty, work, family etc – you shouldn’t need to choose which aspect of your life to focus your fight on. Best Ever Olay Total Effects offers women a solution to accelerated signs of ageing due to increasing stressors in today’s world, resulting in even higher efficacy to fight emotional and physical stresses that age your skin Rs 749/- for 50 gms

Xuvious December 4, 2013 at 10:56 am

Will be reaching mid twenties next month… I guess I should look for a good sunscreen! ;)
Mehak, do you recommend any good non greasy ones?
Xuvious recently posted..First Aid Beauty Ultra Repair CreamMy Profile

mehak December 4, 2013 at 11:42 am

Sunscreen- honestly i love neutrogena dry touch!
mehak recently posted..India Bridal Week 2013 Mumbai : Aashima & LeenaMy Profile

Xuvious December 4, 2013 at 9:22 pm

Thanks! I’ll try that!
Xuvious recently posted..Dior Diorskin Nude Foundation in 040 Honey BeigeMy Profile

Lisha December 4, 2013 at 11:00 am

Great Post! bookmarking it and passing on to the tips to mum xx
Lisha recently posted..The Body Shop Strawberry Body Butter ReviewMy Profile

Vini December 4, 2013 at 11:06 am

Hi,
Can you recommend a list of otc drugs which can ne used as source of vitamin c/e?
Regs,
Vini

mehak December 4, 2013 at 11:14 am

Thanks for your question Vini- ill find out and let you know.

Shikha December 4, 2013 at 11:55 am

Celin for Vit C and Evion for Vit E. These are easily available at any chemist.
Shikha recently posted..Glamabox – November EditionMy Profile

Deepalee December 4, 2013 at 11:08 am

Awesome post… Now I dnt hv any second thought abt the anti aging creams… Thanks a lot Mehak for this post.. :)

Shikha December 4, 2013 at 11:58 am

Great post. I especially like the part where it is recommended to start early. What people forget is the later one starts the more damage is there on the skin. If you start taking care of yourself a little earlier then you are basically preserving the youth you have and it is easier to maintain. The more you let yourself go the tougher it is to cover the damage done. Ideally 25 is the best age to start.
Shikha recently posted..Glamabox – November EditionMy Profile

Heena December 4, 2013 at 12:06 pm

Super Useful Post! Now, I Know When Should I Start Using Anti Aging Products
Heena recently posted..Lakme Absolute Shine Line “Pink” Review, Swatches + How I Use ItMy Profile

bnanno December 4, 2013 at 1:27 pm

Boots AA creams.came out on top in an extensive survey, as effective as the horrendously expensive ones. They do different one for each age group. Very very effective and reasonable.

Reetu Chauhan December 4, 2013 at 2:29 pm

I’ve used Olay Total Effects 7 in 1 Day Cream. Feels heavy on my skin.
Summers: Breaks me out. Winters: I get this small red bumps.
Skin type: Combination, Acne prone, Sensitive
I don’t know if it’s just me. Any other options?

Manasi December 4, 2013 at 2:35 pm

Thanks for the post dear!! It is very useful :)
Manasi recently posted..BOOTS to style this winters:MenMy Profile

Marathi Weddings December 4, 2013 at 3:28 pm

I am one year late too!! :P Nevertheless, shall start from this weekend. Probably with a night cream.
Marathi Weddings recently posted..Wedding wear OOTD: DIY LehengaMy Profile

Supria December 4, 2013 at 4:45 pm

Good to hear from the experts… It really pays off if we put some time and money into building a good skincare regime. Hyaluronic acid has worked wonders on my skin, highly highly highly recommend people incorporating it before moisturiser, especially the ones with dry skin. You will see an immediate difference.

Also I recently started using Rosehip oil… It does wonderful things to the skin, incredibly moisturising and plumps the skin up like none other… Highly recommend
Supria recently posted..La Roche Posay Ceralip – Review & ComparisonMy Profile

$ December 4, 2013 at 4:54 pm

Nice article mehak..
Although now I really feel that instead of trying various anti ageing creams or sunscreens or moisturisers and then seeinv what works and whay does not.. its better to visit a derma who will recommend the right products. I really had a bad skin year starting last june..I tried lot of products. . But at the end the derma’s products only helprd me. Nd now my skin is better than ever. I m also 26 btw:)

Gowthami December 5, 2013 at 11:02 am

Great post!! Nw I should get a sunscreen soon
Gowthami recently posted..Avon Winter Makeup Tips by Neha KhannaMy Profile

Maha December 6, 2013 at 12:13 am

Thank u very much Mehak. Also find answers for pigmentation due to acne.

deepti December 6, 2013 at 5:13 pm