Moroccan & Macademia Oils in India: Is Hair Oil The New Cool?

by Mehak Shahani on January 5, 2014

in Uncategorized

My first memory of hair oil is my mom telling a 5 year old me that I need to oil my hair every week or else when I grow older I shall be in serious trouble. Im not sure whether it was me ignoring my mommies lectures that got me to the state of hairfall Im at now, but as far as i remember , Hair oil was never cool!

If your hair as much as smelt of coconut oil in school, you would pretty much become the butt of all jokes in Class 5-D ! There was a general sense of ‘eww’ regarding hair oil ..that was until Youtube came into play.

Suddenly, we had these beauty bloggers sitting in California waxing eloquent about the benefit of Moroccan Oil, or Argan Oil or Rose Hip oil? I recently even had a bridal shopping client who told me about how she used Morocaan oil after washing her hair.  After Washing your hair? Doesn’t your hair get oily? I asked? “Nope, its a dry oil- you wont smell or feel sticky at all. It just absorbs into the scalp and when your hair dry they are super soft and smooth?” . I was definitely intrigued !

So is Hair oil the new cool ? Are these Moroccan Oils actually better than our regular coconut oil or is this just the tried and tested oil we grew up with in glossier packaging and young, hip, marketing? I haven’t tried any to be honest and im currently on the hunt for the original Moroccan Hair Oil in India, but do respond with comments below those of you who have.

Here are some of whats available in the market:

The ‘Original’ Moroccan Oil

moroccan-oil-india

This brown and cerulean blue packaging is what is considered to be the “ORIGINAL” Moroccan Oil. They have a range of intense treatments and light oils for all hair types.

Where to buy these:

- These iv spotted in some Looks Salons across Delhi

- Saw these at a Lakme Salon in Mumbai as well

- Not completely sure about these being available online

The ‘Organix’ Moroccan Oil

organix-moroccan-oil

These ones i have actually seen online- made by a company called Organix and these are available at Jabong/ Flipkart etc

Macademia Oils

macademia-oil

Another version iv spotted are these macademia oils. These are available at salons like Hair n Shanti in Delhi but not sure where else

Chris January 5, 2014 at 6:05 pm

Ah, macadamia oil. If I weren’t trying to use up my gallons of hair oil I’d go buy that right now.

Lisha January 5, 2014 at 6:07 pm

I’ve been dying to try the moroccan oil since forever..! I never thought I’d oil my hair during adulthood as i hated getting my hair oiled during childhood but oiling really does make my hair alot more manageable.!

Xuvious January 5, 2014 at 6:34 pm

Love Macadamia and Moroccan Oil. I’ve mostly used masks though.
I use regular oil mostly. :)

Rashmi January 5, 2014 at 6:46 pm

Looks amazing dear…need to try this at the earliest ..;-)

Fathima January 5, 2014 at 6:52 pm

I hv used macadamia..and it’s amazing..everyone should give it a try..

Arzoo January 5, 2014 at 9:05 pm

I love oiling my hair a lot, I too sported Moroccan oil products in some Looks salon, I’m planning to get them soon.

Gowthami January 5, 2014 at 9:25 pm

I’m dying to try ‘em!

poorani January 5, 2014 at 9:49 pm

How about feelunique, beautybay or strawberrynet? They might stock some of these.

anita sahoo January 5, 2014 at 10:03 pm

actually the aragan oil from soul flower…worth a try, esp at 800 bucks. Is anyway the base oil for moroccanoils :) also easily available on flipkart/healthkast

priyal January 5, 2014 at 11:58 pm

Actually they arent really oils, they just have a small percentage of Argan oil in them. The ‘original’ blue n brown bottle moroccan oil is a serum..and im using it..and i dont find anything so great in it! Not sure about all the hype!

Dolon January 6, 2014 at 12:51 am

I’ll go with virgin coconut oil. Sasta, sundar, tikau and does a great job!

Ss January 6, 2014 at 1:31 am

I have actually been on both sides- oiling my hair pretty much every weekend during my teens and later not oiling my hair at all. And this might be a surprise, but I have had healthier hair without the oiling regimen. I think the reason is that when I used oil, I would have to shampoo at least twice to get it all out, otherwise the hair would have some residue oil that attracted muck throughout the week and ended up looking very dead with no shine. I had more hair fall too after doing a nice champi with oil.
Ever since I stopped oiling my hair, I use the shampoo sparingly and only do it twice in a week., even during the summer. This, for me, preserves the natural oils of my hair and doesn’t end up drying them out with over shampooing and conditioning.

Bhuvana January 6, 2014 at 1:35 am

Planning to try these oils. So far i have been using coconut and olive oil . Although it does wonders, I cant withstand the greasiness :(

Jane January 6, 2014 at 2:07 am

Actually a teeny bit coconut oil applied to your freshly washed and blowdried hair takes away the ‘rough edges’ and eliminates frizz from the dryer. I have been following this after every blowdry at home and I love it. Argan oil is way too greasy for me.

Princess Butter January 6, 2014 at 3:07 am

I have the Mroccon oil bottle in the pic above. I use it as a serum after hair wash. It is a kind of overhyped. I mean, it does feel nice and all, but that same nice feeling I can get from stuff less than 10$ as well.
Also, it isn’t pure. It has silicones and is just a regular serum.

Meghana January 6, 2014 at 6:19 am

oiling hair really gives good results. But I will need lots of oil for my hair.

Shivi@COSMOCHICS January 6, 2014 at 8:23 am

Hair oil that absorbs fast and don’t make hair oily sounds nice!

coralcrue January 6, 2014 at 9:07 am

I’ve tried pure argan oil and it’s very thick and greasy, not so appealing, a very oily oil. sticking to the usual coconut oil, almond and olive oil for now. Good read, Mehak :)

Shaili January 6, 2014 at 9:40 am

As a kid i used to oil my hair to school ( even though it was not very cool ) now i don’t do it that often , once a week maybe.
I have been using the ‘original’ Moroccan oil for the past 3 years and i swear by the product. As a hairstylist and makeup artist i come across a lot of products that promise the moon and stars but do not deliver ….this is one product in a long time that has honestly delivered . I use it right after i wash my hair and towel dry it…. (removing excess water does make a difference). I love the softness and shine , it brings to my hair without making it oily. You can use any other styling products with it like mouse or spray or gel after you have used this on ur hair . Its lightweight , soft and i LOVE the smell.
I have got my whole family hooked onto it.

Abhilasha January 6, 2014 at 10:02 am

These products are really good…am addicted to some of them..Moroccan Oil conditioner / mask is the bomb always leaves my hair soft and silky..
love how these products make my hair feel :)
Love

Manasi January 6, 2014 at 10:31 am

Sound intersting :)

Manasi January 6, 2014 at 10:31 am

Sound intersting :)

Zee bee January 6, 2014 at 1:28 pm

I used to be pretty regular with oiling till late 20s.but now I oil my hair only once a month Max…but I used cetaphil cetaphil/emolene or any light weight moisturising lotion on scalp whenever it felt dry..I do condition my hair ever time though.
Is it pure oil or just a mixture with mineral oil with splash of Aryan/Moroccan oil?
It might be useful for people who are light oilers. I don’t know…I wouldn’t scramble for something which grows in Morocco!

supria January 6, 2014 at 1:55 pm

I love macadamia oil and their styling products. But I woild never replace my beloved virgin coconut oil with them. Infact I dont think they are meant to be used in the same way. Moroccon oil is used more as a styling and settong product whereas coconut oil should be left in the hair to soak for a fwq hours at least before washing it. Just my two cents :)

Clothes and Creativity January 6, 2014 at 3:14 pm

I need to give this a try! My hair has been tangling quite a bit, and the dry oil might just work!

Blushnblossom January 6, 2014 at 5:39 pm

I’m dying to try moroccon oil……. but I am also happy with my virgin coconut oil. Oiling the hair once a week is necessity I think. According to my mum and granny oiling the hair on regular basis is secret to healthy hair. Definitely agree with them…..

Ankita Singh January 6, 2014 at 8:56 pm

I have always been a regular oil-er. My mum always stressed on it, and given her hair and mine, I definitely agree. For about 10 years now, I have had multiple unknown random aunties asking me in shops which oil/shampoo I use. Then they actually buy that :-P Regular oiling+shampooing and trimming does give good hair :-)
Looking for a good recommendation for Moroccan oil, which would you suggest Mehak? I remember the other review wasn’t highly in favour of the product reviewed.

mehak January 6, 2014 at 8:58 pm

i think the original ones are supposed to be the best!

Sharon January 6, 2014 at 10:52 pm

Not a big fan of oil, but this product is an absolute STAR. Nothing makes my frizzy hair as soft n shiny as this one does. Sadly (thanks to the price), I’m hooked.

shikha January 6, 2014 at 11:14 pm

Hi Mehak , I’ve been using the Moroccan Oil treatment for over a year now. I buy it from salons and it’s honestly amazing! The oil is literally so lightweight and makes your hair so smooth and silky and has such a pleasant fragrance. I used to use all those L’Oreal professional serums, Biolage Matrix etc. But this oil serum is excellent. I haven’t looked back. You need a tiny bit for your hair ends and seriously after a week or two of using it , you’ll notice the difference. It tames the fly aways, frizzies and just gives a nice glossy, sheen to you hair without gettin oily or “chip chippy”. Even if its a tad pricey, I seriously recommend it.

In fact, I now also use the brands moisture repair shampoo , conditioner and even the hair mask. All worth it. but if you had to buy one, Id say go for the Moroccan Oil Treatment.

Jyoti January 6, 2014 at 11:18 pm

I have used macadamia :) Really loved it :) :)

rinnee January 7, 2014 at 2:43 pm

i wish we could have better access to these products in india…i dont see these anywhere..not even online!

Kalyani January 7, 2014 at 4:59 pm

I looove hair oils!! And that’s despite going thru having weird oily braids as a kid, which is quite unusual where I grew up, so at least nobody knew to tease….

But these oils are completely different! I really like moroccan and macadamia, but the one I got stuck on is the kerastase elixir ultimate! I use it after washing, conditioning and hair treatment-ing my hair, and also every time I brush it (my hair might be more high maintenance than most since it tangles easy) and it makes a huge difference. Not to mention they smell amazing, I’m still hoping kerastase will make a perfume with the same scent :)

Kayennat January 8, 2014 at 6:23 pm

I absolutely love love love oils and they go everywhere on me :) I apply a blend of pure oils to my hair prior to shampooing and then a hair oil “serum” on wet hair, totally love the Organix Morrocan Argan Oil Penetrating Oil Serum (that was a mouthful!). I honestly could not live without oiling my hair.

Amani Zaara January 8, 2014 at 10:53 pm

I’ve used Moroccan oil .. It’s awesome.. I’ve also reviewed them on my blog.. Now m gonna buy the macademia mask.. Heard great reviews abt dat too..be they are available online on beautykafe.com..

Nithya January 12, 2014 at 3:02 pm

I’ve been using ‘original’ moroccan oil. My hair has gone through the torture of hair straightening/coloring/hot iron and is dry and frizz prone. A small amount of moroccan oil keeps my hair in place and its soft and silky till the next wash.

I was never a regular oil person but now am addicted to this stuff. Strongly recommend it, esp for those with dry/frizzy hair.

akansha August 16, 2014 at 1:42 am

Hi.
Just read all the above comments and wanted to try this blue bottle of morrocan argan oil.
I stay in jaipur and we dont have much access to these products plus we really cant trust these retail shops that whether these products are original or not. So can anyone suggest where shud I buy it from. Any website which guarantee for selling original products