Unboxing the April Envy Box: Benefit Concealer+ A Surprise Gift !

by Mehak Shahani on April 13, 2014

in Uncategorized

Im always a bit wary of putting these ‘Birchbox’ type of things on the blog- for one, there was that terrible experience with Glossy Box which never saw the light of day in India, and there seem to be a dime a dozen boxes that crop up everywhere and then vanish into thin air. But this months Envy Box got me kind of excited …

Mostly because it had Benefit! But also because it had an interesting Skin Yoga Product and a Free Cushion Cover !! So cute ! I am very cheaply Indian like that- love free things.

envy-box1-001

They changed up the color this time from peach to pink.

benefit-fake0upCant wait to try the Benefit Fake Up Hydrating Crease Control Concealer!

my-envy-box (9)

Thats almost a full sized bottle of H20 Sea Moss Body Wash

my-envy-box (6)

Skin Yoga- these are like granules that can be mixed with water and then they form a thick paste. Think your traditional home made beauty recipe packaged into what looks like  an ointment a doctor in Game of Thrones would prescribe (obsessed with GOT)

my-envy-box (10)

I was super excited to see this black pouch by Za cosmetics cos the packaging was so sleek and reminded me of Batman. But when i opened it -

za1

Whitening cream ! Dissapointing.
avene1

Yet another whitening essence. Sigh – we have a no whitening policy on P&B if yr wondering why im dissapointed.

my-envy-box (17)

my-envy-box (14)

That cushion if from monsoon and beyond ! Came at the right time considering Im moving into a new place soon huh? What say- a yellow and grey living room inspiration?? Could be fun!

Super fun envy box this time guys . You can check them out here – Envy Box

For those unfamiliar with Beauty Boxes the funda is- pay a monthly subscription fee and get to try sample sized products of high end brands.

Xuvious April 13, 2014 at 6:56 pm

I’m so over beauty boxes, but I still like knowing if they’ve improved. :p
Good on them stepping up to Benefit though! :)

Lisha@HeartBowsMakeup April 13, 2014 at 7:12 pm

I got the same things :D Loving the benefit concealer :D

anshita April 13, 2014 at 8:08 pm

I got the same things except for the benefit. i got only 5 products. i think I should let them know..i cant let go this benefit concealer!

laks April 13, 2014 at 8:53 pm

Th April Envy box really have cool stuffs ! Skin yoga face scrub sounds interesting!

Ramya April 13, 2014 at 9:16 pm

Lovely stuff.liking H2O product and benefit concealer

Priyanjana April 13, 2014 at 9:59 pm

There is almost a full size product!! wow!

Gowthami April 13, 2014 at 11:49 pm

Whoa interesting products to try! Great box :-)’

Vineetha April 14, 2014 at 5:08 am

That is an interesting mix of goodies! I am not a fan of whitening products either!

mily April 14, 2014 at 10:21 am

hearing that everybody got a benefit sample..i also ordered one..lets hope i havent wasted my money again on these beauty boxes!

Supria April 14, 2014 at 10:27 am

lol at the cushion cover, such a cute idea :)

Shreya April 14, 2014 at 10:36 am

This month box was simply fabulous

Clothes and Creativity April 14, 2014 at 10:47 am

Good stuff! Especially the concealer!

Abhilasha April 14, 2014 at 10:59 am

Ahhh that concealer..benefit..i want

Manasi April 14, 2014 at 11:09 am

Nice products!! This month stuff is really nice :)

Aayushi April 14, 2014 at 12:55 pm

I am still waiting for my envy box to be delivered… :( ….. But your post has made my hopes go high up… :)

Shailja @BeABrideEveryday April 14, 2014 at 1:14 pm

Nice product selection from summer point of view !

Rashi April 14, 2014 at 5:15 pm

That pink box and the Benefit concealer make me want to subscribe…!

Swati April 14, 2014 at 6:38 pm

I should give this box a try! Looks good!

krithi April 14, 2014 at 8:33 pm

that benefit and H2o thing is exciting :)

Jane April 14, 2014 at 9:30 pm

Mehak , A little about your “No whitening” policy” We get that you do not embrace the whitening trend. Good for you. We get it. I am dusky gal while I love my skin and color to bits now , it was always not the case. The realization and the love for your own color has come from within. I think a lot of dark people really struggle with hyper pigmentation more than the dark color itself. I think a lot of whitening creams are actually meant for “Hyper pigmentation” but are marketed using the term “whitening” just to get more attention.I think this whitening essence may really be to lighten uneven darkens. So its not end of the world when a product says whitening.

Just like how Pale skinned Caucasians are obsessed with getting some color in their skin with self tanners , artificial tanning & sun bathing , dark skinned people are obsessed with getting their skin to be lighter. The grass is always greener on the other side.

Being a loyal reader, I feel like you mention the “no whitening” policy on P&B a little too much. It seems a little like you are trying too much to ensure that you are on the “Be-comfortable-in-your-own-skin bandwagon. In the same logic , you should also be quick to shun Pale gals who use artificial tanning products to get some color in their bodies and/or brands that promise self tanning. Just some food for thought.

Ismi April 14, 2014 at 10:18 pm

Do you even realize what you’re saying? Girls in India are desperate to achieve the “glowy white skin” and whitening products only perpetuate the cycle further! From what I see, you’re sort of defending whitening products because hyper pigmentation can be on any skin tone – light or dark! Please change your mindset and accept the fact that in India girls use whitening creams ONLY to get light skin! Also, I honestly don’t think you’re happy with your skin tone .. I wish you the best in learning how to accept yourself and other girls around you that might be “not light enough” for your liking!

And Mehak — I salute for not advertising whitening products! I have come across Indian blogs, where they openly and proudly promote such low-class products! No wonder why your blog is so popular, you cater to everyone without any discrimination!

Jane April 15, 2014 at 12:23 am

Well , I cant write a long and thoughtful response without realizing what I was writing can i ?! My question and comment was really about Meahk’s “No whitening ” policy and not about the color of the skin really. So before you jump your gun and judge whether people accept their own skin color or not , take a second to read and understand what somebody on the internet is trying to say.

Also, just so you know that I do enjoy my Dusky and glowy skin and get complimented every time I go to a beauty counter about how awesome my skin looks. Hows that for “learning how to accept yourself” ?!

shar June 11, 2014 at 10:12 am

Use whatever you want and post whatever you want.use whitening if u want dont use it if u dont want.get complimented for your skin.enjoy it.dont start an argument here.There is a no skin lightening or “No whitening” policy here for the products which some people use to get fair or fairer and think white skin is only beautiful esp in india .”gori chitti” blah blah… which is not the case.so thats what mehak prob wants to advocate.being dusky i support her .so everyone should just take a minute to read the post and understand what she means as they do for your comment.

mehak April 14, 2014 at 11:09 pm

Hi Jane,
I get where yr coming from and its an arguement iv heard previously as well…whitening is to India what tanning is to the west and I completely agree with that.
Except – the problem is…in India its almost like “White” and “Fair” are the most commonly used adjectives in matrimonial ads, advertismements on TV outrightly promote that being white will help you get a guy, become more succesful and be more accepted. While in metros the situation is changing, for a large part of India its not just about white being beautiful- its about dark being downright ugly and I dont think its like that in the west. I honestly dont have a problem with creams using white in them for spot reduction- i mean ofcourse what other word are they supposed to use

The problem really is the line is so blurry in India- they tried to market Fair and Lovely as a spot reduction lightening cream whereas clearly its not. So to avoid confusion I would just rather not talk about it. Some brands make amazing spot reduction products and I know just because they use terms like white and fair and light I probably wont feature them but its kind of like choosing which side of the evil I want to be on. I figure there is so much of that going on anyway, Id rather just avoid it altogether.

Hope that makes sense?

Jane April 15, 2014 at 12:14 am

You are right. The line IS very blurry. I am completely with you when you talk about ‘fair and lovely’ and those stupid advertisements and that make a gal successful immediately after she becomes two shades lighter – That’s complete BS. But the problem about matrimonials and the whole “getting a boy is possible only if you are fair” has to do with culture of the country. Over here (I am in the US) boob jobs are becoming increasingly popular. In recent past I’ve come to know a a couple of a normal office gals going considering a boob job! What about nose jobs then? Isn’t that also considered “not being comfortable in your own skin” ? My point is the list goes on. Just saying “NO Whitening policy” makes no sense. If you said , you embrace natural beauty and do not support anything that has to do with trying to change what you were born [Including changing the color your skin or going under the knife to change a body part] , I get you. Now THAT is something I really want people to support.

The quest to achieve something we don’t have is always going to be there. Its just an inherent nature of humans. Just like curly gals wanting straight hair and vice versa. All I was trying to say was that it was starting to feel a little like you were trying to fit into that no whitening movement by bringing it up a lot. But hey , its your blog. But I agree with you on avoiding controversial subjects altogether. If there is fuzzy area why even bother going near it.

Gotta love a constructive back and forth though. :-)

mehak April 15, 2014 at 10:18 pm

Well i am actually not a big supporter of plastic surgery= i guess in India its still nt as rampant so not something i think about except like -why would you do it….but im pretty sure if that happened to come to India in a big way I would speak about it anyway

Ofcourse- constructive discussion always welcome!

Mayuri April 15, 2014 at 2:39 am

the products this time look tempting esp Benefit! <3

Anupama April 15, 2014 at 8:31 am

I am so loving Envy Box these days! I got Benefit Porefessional (a small sample with much lesser quantity) was expecting this concealer though :(

Nisha@PinkTrends April 15, 2014 at 1:07 pm

Hei Mehek, I got the exactly same products , but no cushion cover ..grr..

pari April 15, 2014 at 2:44 pm

hey this looks so nice..at least they have sent you products worth trying..

Blushes and Beyond April 15, 2014 at 4:20 pm

After reading this post I was eagerly waiting for my April’s envy box to arrive and was just hoping that I get the Benefit Concealer. I just received my box in office. I couldnt even wait to get home and open it in the evening so i opened it here and was so happy to see that it had the Benefit Concealer.

Imagine the glares that i got from my fellow corporate lawyers while opening the box. But who cares :)

Shriya April 16, 2014 at 8:50 pm

Hi! I write on behalf of Benefit Cosmetics India.
I’m overjoyed that you love our concealer :)
We are ready spread the benefit pink across town .. Come down to Sephora( Select Citywalk & DLF Promenade)
Follow us on Instagram & Facebook !
Stay Flawless
XX

Bhumika April 18, 2014 at 1:20 am

U got a cushion cover :o Amazing..I only got Monsoon & Beyond 10% off code..also a 0.15 ml sachet of Porefessional..which would not even suffice one use.. :/