What Hairstyle to choose for your Face Shape: Expert Speak

by Mehak Shahani on April 14, 2014

in Haircare

rodanker1

Right so you have not been blessed with an oval face shape on which goddamn everything looks good. If you are like me, then the bane of your existance is how wide your face looks (True story: Before the boys parents met me, they saw a photo of mine just the face and thought I was quite chubby).

So I roped in Celebrity Stylist Rod Anker to put all your questions to rest .  If you have seen images of this good looking guy splashed across Monsoon Salon posters in Delhi- congratulations, you have already had your first interaction with Rod Anker ;) .  He is part of probably every Beauty Jury there exists including the Cosmo Beauty Panel (we are on that too yippeee!), the Elle Beauty jury  , is the preferred Stylist for NDTV’s Im too sexy for my shoes and  the director for Monsoon Salon an Spa

So Rod, is there a magic mantra to identifying what looks good on a person?

Rod : “When it comes to what suits you and what would be the best look for you, it is far beyond just a simple do this or do that based on what I think or what is even in fashion! It comes down to what suits your face shape and the texture of your hair. Fairly often we have a fixation on what we should be doing with our hair yet it is a far cry from what we actually do so let me help you by explaining more. Face shape plays a large part of what would be the best for you and you really have to make sure you action this once you determine what face shape you actually have! That is if you want to look your best regardless of length etc so lets go”

P&B Edit: If you dont know what your face shape is, a quick exercise is to trace your face in the mirror with a sketch pen. Helps identify the shape quickly. Just make sure you hide that sketch pen before your mom throws a fit about you ruining her mirror!

Okay, so give us some quick pointers for each face shape!

Round Face : Well no one wants to admit they have a round face first of all. But round face you should avoid bobs or anything that finishes at the chin length as this will make you look fuller. Avoid fullness around the ear area as it will add weight to your look. Try and extend the overall shape by adding length .

P&B Layman terms: Make your face look less football type by adding length to your hair , reducing width around the ears, and ensuring your hair cut doesnt end at the chin.

Long face : Do NOT keep your hair too long, you need to shrink your look without making it look uncomfortable or weird. The right length would ideally be between the collar bone and chin depending on your exact look but this is a guide

Square Face: If you happen to have a square face you need to add softness to your look by adding volume on the sides and the top to round off the overall look. Don’t keep your hair too short as this will look too severe on your face shape

P&B Layman terms: This is my face shape and its exactly the hair style I sport so yayie, My haircut is rod approved ;) . I have a layered razor with volume around the sides and I almost always make a poof at the top.

Oval Face: Again the goal is to counter balance the look, so adding more fullness is the wrong approach if you have a oval face. Add fullness to the lower area of your hair and nothing on the top, keep it fairly flat. A little extra length is ideal just past the collar bone.

Thanks Rod ! Im sure that shed some amount of light on the kind of haircut to ask your stylist next time?

Tanmayee April 14, 2014 at 5:56 pm

Very much useful, Thanks a lot Mehak :)

anshita April 14, 2014 at 6:02 pm

heart shape?!
anshita recently posted..My Envy Box Review and Unboxing: April 2014My Profile

Supria April 14, 2014 at 6:05 pm

I think I have an oval face but trust me Mehak not everything looks good on me! I trust and rely on volume n texturising products to make my hair look presentable.
Supria recently posted..The one with all the cleansers.My Profile

Manasi April 14, 2014 at 6:08 pm

Nice post dear!! Thanks for sharing… :)
Manasi recently posted..Three easy Beauty Tips #6My Profile

laks April 14, 2014 at 6:17 pm

I think mine is oval , but don’t like my hairstyle :( . Thanks you explained them in Layman terms :D
laks recently posted..Romance in God’s own Country – The Travel PlannersMy Profile

mily April 14, 2014 at 6:20 pm

i dont know what face i have..:o

Swati April 14, 2014 at 6:33 pm

I am still quite confused what my face shape is. (it does change with me eating patterns :P) but I have been sporting side bangs and layers for almost 2 years and I really like it. Before that my haircut was just so blah.
Swati recently posted..DIY : Makeup Brush OrganizationMy Profile

Clothes and Creativity April 14, 2014 at 6:40 pm

Useful stuff! :)
Clothes and Creativity recently posted..Pop of Neon (Coral): OOTD VideoMy Profile

Anju April 14, 2014 at 7:39 pm

Thanxx for the info Rod n Mehak…but its really sad that there are lot n lot of links out there just talking aboout 4-5 face shapes…but what about a person like me who has a pear-shape face (narrow forhead, wider chin n jawline)..It may not be a very common face shape but m sure I am not the only one. It gets really complicated to decide abt which hairstyle n haircut will suit me… :-(

mehak April 15, 2014 at 1:24 pm

Hi Anju
the trick is balance…so if you are wider at the bottom of the face- add width at the top of your face
get a cut which is voluminous around your forehead area and ear and slimmer as you move down
mehak recently posted..Bourjois Rouge Edition Velvet Lipstick Review: Framboise (02)My Profile

Aayushi April 14, 2014 at 8:27 pm

Wohoo.. amazing Mehak..COngratulations… You are on Cosmo Beauty Panel….. Awesome….. Well i always stay confused that whether i have a long face or an oval shaped face….
Aayushi recently posted..Nail Art Using OPI Carried AwayMy Profile

Vineetha April 15, 2014 at 12:51 am

Nice tips! Lovely post!
Vineetha recently posted..Giorgio Armani Maestro Fusion Blush 300 Review, SwatchesMy Profile

Sumathi April 15, 2014 at 7:40 am

Ok so I’m gonna grab a sketchpen and trace my face on the mirror now. I’m so confused about the shape of my face. Some say I have an oval face, some say square. I think it looks like a football :/
Sumathi recently posted..Swirl Nail Art Using a ToothpickMy Profile

coralcrue April 15, 2014 at 11:00 am

Informative read, always looking for a stylist who understands this
coralcrue recently posted..Travel Made FunMy Profile

Shreya April 15, 2014 at 11:22 am

Such a great post dear and the tips are really helpful … will share this post with my friends <3 <3
Shreya recently posted..Revlon ColorStay Shadowlinks in Khaki and Copper ReviewMy Profile

Suneha April 15, 2014 at 11:40 am

Hey Mehak!!!
I always luv reading ur posts…the way u add humor to ur write-ups (“make your face look less football type…” :D) makes your posts very interesting to read… :) u r one of my fav bloggers with a very distinct style of writing… :)
this was indeed an informative post…got great tips on how to style my hairs so that I can manage to make my face look less football type… :P

mehak April 15, 2014 at 1:20 pm

Aww thank Suneha !!! Haha, i keep referrig to my own face as a football !

Suneha April 15, 2014 at 9:54 pm

:o :o :o
Mehak…if u think ur face luks like a football, then I think I shud start comparing my face with a gym ball :P

mehak April 15, 2014 at 10:13 pm

hhaha no it doesnt any more but trust me it did
you could tke a compass and draw a clean cirxle

Suneha April 16, 2014 at 12:23 am

ummmm…let me try trusting u… ;)

pari April 15, 2014 at 2:36 pm

this is such a great post and tips are super useful..
pari recently posted..MIRACULOUS BEAUTY FLUID-KAMA AYURVEDA KUMKUMADIMy Profile

Ankita Singh April 15, 2014 at 9:38 pm

Yaaayyyy chubby round face and long hair! I pass the test :)
Hey Mehak, when are the snapshots going to be up? Just FmyI (For my Information) :D

Shailja@BeABrideEveryday April 16, 2014 at 12:43 pm

Now I got why my face looked so fuller when I had short hair cuts.. Will get a long one this time !
Shailja@BeABrideEveryday recently posted..Nivea Fruity Shine Strawberry Lip Balm ReviewMy Profile

Manisha April 25, 2014 at 3:53 pm

What is best hairstyle for heart shaped face