Hair Chalking: Have you tried it?

by Mehak Shahani on May 6, 2014

in Haircare

hair-chalking hair-chalking1

One of the hottest trends of last year internationally, has been “Hair chalking”. What is it you ask? Basically, its a temporary way to color your hair through “Hair chalks”. These come in a lot of colors from bright funky blues to burgundy and brown, and you apply the chalk thingie on to your hair and until you wash it off the color stays (For some, the color even stays for a couple of washes specially if your hair is light colored).

Hair Chalking In India

I actually thought of writing this, because I saw an ad for Loreal Hair Chalks in Grazia India. I think they should be out here soon and every one will be talking about it- so makes sense for you guys to know what it is before hand, and frankly I have been very intrigued by it the whole of last year as well.

How do you use them

I read this article on Wiki on Hair chalking here which explains really well how to use these and though Im not sure whether all hair chalks work this way, but the basic funda seems to be. Chalk +water + your hair = funky highlighting

How do they look best

These are not products for people who want all over color, rather these are nice if you want to highlight something in your hair. If you are risk averse, you could just pick up a bronze hair chalk and give the crown of your head some nice bronze highlights, if you want to go all out you can take a blue hair chalk an put it on a strand and braid it for a nice blue highlight. You could even ombre colors, mix colors up or go for a rainbow

Do they damage your hair?

One of the advantages of Hair chalks is that they are ammonia free which is what most brands who sell Hair chalks are harping about. But while Hair chalking is pretty  harmless  for once in a while kind of thing, Im pretty sure it will dry out your hair if you do too much. But that is the case with any artificial treatments- too much of anything is bad.

Have any of you tried hair chalks? If you have, comment with your experiences below!

Ashima May 6, 2014 at 4:51 pm

Wow! This sounds so cool, am definitely going to try hair chalks! I had got my hair coloured once and swore that I’ll never touch it again because of how much it damaged my hair! But after reading this post, I am quite tempted to try this out! Thanks Mehak! :)

Preeti Kaur May 6, 2014 at 5:11 pm

I want to try this ASAP… It is also a good way to trying different hair colors on hair to see which one looks the best and go for normal hair coloring afterwards….. EXCITED!!!

Xuvious May 6, 2014 at 5:17 pm

I’m too scared of damage to my hair so I’ll probably use it for a specific occasion. But I really do want it try it! It’s nice that it’ll be more accessible now. :)

Nat May 6, 2014 at 5:20 pm

You know, this is a lot like the Hair Mascaras that were around some ten years ago! This is perfect for me, because I can use any colour I want without worrying about fading or damage!!

Manasi May 6, 2014 at 5:21 pm

I have not tried it….The place where I stay…here water is so bad that have lots of hair problems :P But yes i wanna try this!! its interesting :)

Clothes and Creativity May 6, 2014 at 5:38 pm

I’ve read about hair-chalking but haven’t really tried it.

PinkTrends May 6, 2014 at 5:44 pm

Hair Chalking. Nice Concept. Awaiting it to come to India.At least once in a while we can indulge in some chalkiness, keeping our hair problems aside ;)

Shreya May 6, 2014 at 5:59 pm

Really love this hair chalk thing . I haven’t tried it yet but doubt if it shows on my jet black hair ! I’ve seen the l’oreal hair chalks not sure if they sell here in India.

glitter and makeup May 6, 2014 at 6:01 pm

dis is a very safe way to color hair temporarily…im surely gonna get my hands on it if possible

Sumathi May 6, 2014 at 6:19 pm

Sounds and looks cool. I’ve always wanted to try some funky colour, but since I already have very little hair, I stay away from any kind of styling.
But once I get my hair in place, I would really like to try this :)

Poorani May 6, 2014 at 6:49 pm

I have seen Hair Chalks in The Body Shop stores in Bangalore. I didn’t buy though.

Piu May 6, 2014 at 6:49 pm

I have tried hair chalking in college with pink hair chalk which someone brought me from abroad. Hair chalk can make others feel that you are a hippie.

Embellished May 6, 2014 at 6:52 pm

I’ve been waiting for these to come to India!

Heena May 6, 2014 at 7:27 pm

Leaving 1st n 3rd Pic, Hair are Badly Photoshopped :-s

Anyhoo,
I Tried Hair Chalking With Matte Eyeshadow n Hair Spray! Burgundy Shade.. I Used a Local e/s since a Lot of It is Required and Coloured a Portion of My Hair.. I Did it in Winters n It Lasted for Around 4-5 Hours! It was Fun!:)

Shikha May 6, 2014 at 7:43 pm

I have tried these from local brand…. Just for fun… These are available on lots of Korean websites too. I have used them twice only. Infact there are things like hair mascara too. Which are basically wet hair color with a mascara like wand and packaging

Tamanna May 6, 2014 at 8:01 pm

Looks tempting….

krithi May 6, 2014 at 8:13 pm

looks fun but may not like it on me :P

mily May 6, 2014 at 8:53 pm

definitely sounds fun!!

Priyanka Jain May 6, 2014 at 9:11 pm

I Have tried it :) I did ombre and it stayed on my hair uptill 6 hair washes and then starting fading so thats pretty good.. I also sometime use it to cover any grey stands u knw ;).

Priyanjana May 6, 2014 at 11:27 pm

I am Definitely trying this !! I was like ” kyun nahi hai India mein ye sab” last year !! now I can ttry out !

Aayushi May 7, 2014 at 12:35 am

Wow .. this looks amazing ……. Had seen a lot of girls flaunting it here in Singapore but did not know the term of what they call it. Nice to know that it is called hair chalking :)
Check out crush-on-beauty(dot)com

pari May 7, 2014 at 10:30 am

This sounds amazing…

laks May 7, 2014 at 10:54 am

I love colored hair, but too scared to try it on my already damaged hair :( .

Nivedita May 7, 2014 at 11:43 am

I so wanted funky colors in my hair. Because of my job designation, it’s not an option. Plus, I do not like the way hair looks, rather dark hair looks once the color starts wearing off.
When I saw this on Femina, I thought of trying out too. I am getting that pink and blue for sure! :P

Sucharita May 7, 2014 at 12:09 pm

looks cute! had tried streaking.. I have a few of hair mascaras and have created somewhat similar effects with them but certainly this is way more interesting!

Rashmi May 7, 2014 at 1:35 pm

Wow….this sounds superb…something new and unique…would love to give it a try when launched in India…thx for the info Mehak…:-)

Supria May 7, 2014 at 4:27 pm

I don’t think I am brave enough for this Mehak. WOuld love to see how you incorporate these into your hair when it eventually hits the Indian market :)

anshita May 7, 2014 at 11:51 pm

Mwhak they are here already. Sad thing is they are only avail in the Loreal salons

anshita May 7, 2014 at 11:52 pm

*mehak

Kalyani May 8, 2014 at 12:09 am

I’ve tried it… but I did with a twist :) I have a pale section from hair colouring, so I scraped a bright pink chalk until I had enough powder, and then mixed it with a Kerastase hair masque and applied it, waited, washed out the masque and let it air dry :)

Bushra M May 8, 2014 at 1:49 pm

Looks interesting! Will try it soon…

Mayuri May 9, 2014 at 1:25 am

I wanna try the ones from Loreal. would love to try purple and blue

tee May 9, 2014 at 2:40 am

I’ve hair chalked before. Once electric blue streaks and once a pink ombre. It looks amazingg and it was a great way for me to try funky hair colours without being thrown out of the house by my mum lol. The first time I did it I didn’t wear gloves and ended up with ugly blue stained smurf nails! Also you can use arists chalk pastels in place of these hair chslks coz they’re the same formulation! Well atleast almost. I’ve tried both and I saw no difference :)

Pallavi May 9, 2014 at 9:29 am

Haven’t tried it yet but when I contacted Loreal about it they said currently only available in salons :/ Do hope that’s untrue since they’re being sold all over the internet, just not for delivery to India :(
P.S. Gonna get one streak done soon in bright red.