WHAT! A printer that can print makeup? Its TRUE !

by Mehak Shahani on May 21, 2014

in Beauty Banter, Reviews

Before you think this is some sort of April Fools Joke, let me remind me you we are well into May, and I dont like joking about world ┬áchanging things like these. So the deal is – this girl from Harvard has invented a printer (basically using 3d print technology) that prints makeup.

How it works

Lets say you are browsing P&B online and you love a color you see. You pick that color into your color picker and tell the printer to print an eyeshadow . The printer prints out some form of powder of that color using the same ink and dyes that are FDA approved (these are the same ones used in high ends cosmetics) and you have your eyeshadow ready to be potted. That is brilliant I say.

She plans to price it at 300 USD (for a printer that prints makeup thats beyond cheap), and it will probably come with different chips. A chip for printing lipstick, a chip for eyeshadow…a frito lays chip. (Haha..kidding- couldn’t resist the lame joke).

Im going to stop talking now and you can see for yourself !

Do I think this will work

I think it depends on how much Grace choi can replicate the quality of high end brands with honestly. Its a novelty item for sure, but at the end of the day if you are going to print me an eyeshadow with minimal pigment then thats of no use to me is it? Having said that- this is definitely an industry changing product and I can already see Blair & Elle Fowler going “Waaooww” when its sent to them for review ;)

View the Video :

Swati May 22, 2014 at 1:02 am

Oh yes! One of my techy guy friends actually told me about this 3 days back. It is very innovative! just choosing a colour from the screen and printing it at your desk.. everyone will have access to every shade. :)

But instead of having judges who asked all the questions they asked, there should be a panel asking about the quality of makeup being printed..the durabilty, texture, pigmentation and longevity. Afterall they are very important things. Like the colour she printed looked a lot lighter didn’t it? And one of the judges did actually make sense, like for eyeliners and lipsticks it will a lot more difficult since this will just print out the pigment colour.

That being said, it is indeed an interesting and innovative thing. And since this was a prototype (i think) things will get better from here :)

P.S. I typed a mini essay :D :D Oops.

Mayuri May 22, 2014 at 1:25 am

this is awesome!! people actually go overboard in their thinking towards innovation! Loved it <3 hats off to the lady

Gowthami May 22, 2014 at 1:26 am

Well said swati! But this is so innovative and a big wow to this idea!

Swati May 22, 2014 at 3:52 pm

Totally! It’s a great start! :)

E May 22, 2014 at 6:38 am

Great idea!! She lacks a bit of the charm and a bit of clarity.

Shreya May 22, 2014 at 10:16 am

I need this printer :D but on a serious note hats off to this lady for inventing such an amazing device

Shreya May 22, 2014 at 10:17 am

I need this printer …. it will solve most of my problems and save my money ..hehe :D but on a serious note hats off to this lady for inventing such an amazing device

laks May 22, 2014 at 10:35 am

Oh God! what an invention. I need this printed badly :D :P

laks May 22, 2014 at 10:35 am

Oh God! what an invention. I need this printer badly :D :P

Shikha May 22, 2014 at 10:56 am

This will turn makeup industry upside down.. Just imagine.. All MAC, Channel, YSL etc lipstick shades a click away and that too for USD 300 not even 20K.. I don’t mind investing this much.. If this is a success I can see soon big brands launching their own brand printers too… Awesome innovation…

Hems May 22, 2014 at 11:32 am

I like the way she presented and answered the questions more than the product itself..but a great invention…

Manasi May 22, 2014 at 11:35 am

Oh dear…Its nice invention!

Soujanya May 22, 2014 at 11:44 am

Wow!! Such a great invention…totally agree with Shikha that this is going to revolutionize the makeup industry. Of course quality and pigmentation will be the benchmarks but judging from her confidence, this prototype can be perfected for mass market production…Amazing…

krithi May 22, 2014 at 12:08 pm

thats interesting :)

Shivi@COSMOCHICS May 22, 2014 at 12:53 pm

Yes have heard about it…quite innovative! I will wait for some reviews on it …hehhehe

Vini @dndb May 22, 2014 at 2:12 pm

although it is very innovative but I am gonna need some serious recommendation to buy it :P Not everything that is there is goona go up on my face! Nevertheless Its a great invention for sure!!

Aayushi May 22, 2014 at 2:21 pm

Wow great invention. Really looking forward for it to be out in the market for sale.

zainab May 22, 2014 at 2:43 pm

Its definetly a brilliant idea,innovation,hats off to the girl!! The only question which comes to mind is the quality of product and pigmentation,not to point out just my opinion it depends how much the pigment incorporate to each base it may vary in hue,i find the powdered stuff chip will be more better selling rather than foundation or other chips, it wil definetly work for high school girls who rather like to play with colours,also it wil be good for those who would like to experiment the colour shade on themselves before buying the high end product,wil also help those who do online shopping to get the review of shades.

coralcrue May 22, 2014 at 4:42 pm

whoa! talk about innovation being at the tip of your fingers!! :)) let’s see how far this goes

Pallavi May 22, 2014 at 6:23 pm

Innovation at its best :) :)

Arthi ramesh May 22, 2014 at 10:13 pm

That seems so innovative !!!

Aishwarya Rai in Cannes 2014 – a true stunner !! check out the full post here http://divadiaries.in/aishwarya-rai-in-cannes-2014-stunner/

sonal May 25, 2014 at 12:05 am

Thanks everybody! It would work great on Normal hair.