Are you “Fit Flop” Obsessed?

by Mehak Shahani on June 5, 2014

in Fashion

fit-fliops=india1-001

I can’t quite put a finger on when it happened, but somewhere in the last 3 years every single woman in my family (excluding me) has pretty much given in to “Fit Flops“. Its what they wear, everyday, everywhere and much to my horror insist that they work as formal shoes- if it were upto my mom she would wear them with her saris too.

What are Fit Flops

Fit flops is basically a 6 year old company which started manufacturing a sort of “Chappal” or “Flip Flop” like we call it but with a very different sole called the “Microwobble board sole”. When they were initially launched , a lot of people said they help you lose weight which is why all the crazy women in my family took them up. Makers say the sandals are designed to destabilise the foot slightly and force the legs to work harder by engaging muscles for a longer period of time with each step thus ensuring you stay fit with just walking in them . This was scientifically proven and all that jazz so a lot of people made a beeline for them.

What is so great about them

Well my mom says that while she doesn’t know if Fit Flops help her lose weight, what she DOES know is that they are the most comfortable shoe EVER. She is OBSESSED- has a pair in probably every style they come out with and on a day when she has to get out of her fit flops she literally throws a tantrum. My cousin says once you start wearing them, every other shoe  seems uncomfortable and my maasi says I need to buy them because they will change my life. Yes, we women..like to exaggerate,.

What do I think

Well, im actually a completely ‘Flats’ wearing person so for me, even that 1 inch platform for everyday wear seems a bit much. I will admit they are SUPER comfortable, but unlike the rest of my family who is fit flop obsessed I haven’t really been sucked in yet. Though the more I grow up, the more I find my regular shoes completely painful and hard so I have actually given in to my first fit flop. Sigh. Also- theyv come up with some cool new designs which are really nice so they don’t look as ugly as they used to!

Where to find them

Venus Steps in Delhi stocks Fit Flops. Thats where all of us buy ours from. Boots in UK stocks them too!

How much do they cost
These are not your regular chappal. Atleast 3999/- will have to be shelled out!

Do you guys wear fit flops? Whats your experience been? I wanna know!

Gowthami@BeautyFrontline June 5, 2014 at 1:27 pm

Looks more comfortable than usual!

Somya June 5, 2014 at 1:31 pm

I found them super comfortable and got it from venus steps only. Then followed by my mom from vansons and followed by whole lot of women in my family. Mine are little jazzy though. I have golden one and I love it

mehak June 5, 2014 at 3:15 pm

Haha …they have a knack of influencing entire families…
Think its about time i got sucked in

Karishma June 5, 2014 at 1:32 pm

Oh what I wouldn’t do for comfortable shoes, but still, I am not paying this much for fit flops man.

Priya. N June 5, 2014 at 1:33 pm

Yes I am completely obsessed with them , I discovered it last year and they come with a huge price tag but are def worth it and so comfy, just recently I also came across their look a likes they retail for anywhere between 500-1100 rs, this shows how popular they are :D

MissoPeep June 5, 2014 at 1:34 pm

I love them too. I have worn it for ages now. They last so long too. And needless to say they are superrrrr comfy with the right amount of heels. Now heels cant get more comfy than this.
In Mumbai we get it in Trios Bandra Hill Road :)

Pankhuri June 5, 2014 at 1:40 pm

Bangalore??

Harine June 5, 2014 at 2:07 pm

They are super comfortable and dont give me heel pain… SO I prefer this when I need to walk a lot..

laks June 5, 2014 at 3:30 pm

yes yes! they are super comfy and most perfect for summers.

Simran@leavepillow June 5, 2014 at 3:38 pm

yes they are super comfortable and my mother loves it…

Shailja @BeABrideEveryday June 5, 2014 at 4:26 pm

These days almost every company is copying these styles.. and they come much cheaper too. I guess they must have been missing the technicalities of these genuine fit flops !

shaf June 5, 2014 at 5:52 pm

They are ugly! Period!
I bought one pair 5 yrs back when I was pregnant with my first child. And then used only a few times towards to end of my other 2 pregnancies and thats it.
Whatever glitter ribbons or whatever they put on it… they r ugly.

Peachesandblush June 6, 2014 at 1:29 am

Lol definitely not the prettiest show with that much bulk happenjg

Krithi June 5, 2014 at 6:00 pm

I don’t like
Not my type :))

pari June 5, 2014 at 6:55 pm

they seem to be comfortable but shelling out 3999 is like ..oh god

mily June 5, 2014 at 8:04 pm

i need these :(

Nitika June 5, 2014 at 9:27 pm

What a coincidence !!! I bought my very first pair today from Venus Karol Bagh…
I tried a similar version from Venus itself and they were quite cheap. But I wanted to try the originals
Let’s see how it goes… I bought them for my vacations as I will be walking a lot…

Pinktrends June 5, 2014 at 11:30 pm

Sounds so comfy.. would like to get a pair for my mom..I somehow cannot imagine wearing these..

Tanya Appachu June 5, 2014 at 11:33 pm

Its such a crime to pay so much for ugly shoes !!

A Golden Tulip June 5, 2014 at 11:46 pm

i have never tried these..but looks like a must buy for moms…

xo

Himani June 6, 2014 at 4:19 am

I have never worn dem.. For me, a lil pain is ok for a great looking shoe ;) However, I will pick this up for my mother surely.. She is always in constant search of a comfy footwear :)

anita June 6, 2014 at 6:43 am

Aiyyyyya!!! Not you too!!! Those are quite ugly shoes ….and for the last 3 years I kept wondering why delhi women wore these…. Thought it was one of those weird fads like the “juicy” tracks that yoga ass aunties succumbed too

mehak June 6, 2014 at 10:54 am

Oh gosh lets not get started on juicy. I need another post just to talk about it

Meera June 6, 2014 at 3:31 pm

I saw look-alikes in golden and silver color in Bata and they costed only Rs.499. It is there on their website also.

Jyoti June 6, 2014 at 3:37 pm

Hi mehek, love your blog! Esp the quirckiness!
I am a fitflop convert. I dont care if these help lose weight,
But these are surely the most comfy footwear around.
Also, newer designs are not so ugly. They make boots and ballerinas
As well.
I got mine from urban shore which is the only authorised store
According to fitflop website.
Just a little piece of advice if may i, one should not wear absolutely flat footwear.
It is not good for posture and legs. It streches the achilles and causes pain.
A little height is good for the leg muscles.
Oh by the way….if you happen to travel to dubai, do stock upon fitflops.
Its a lot cheaper there. Difference of 2ooo to 3500. Depending upon thr style.

mehak June 6, 2014 at 5:03 pm

OOh thanks for that tip- will look out for it in dubai if im there…

Ankita June 6, 2014 at 3:52 pm

I am super obsessed with fit flops . I bought my 1st pair of fitflops in Rs 6000 some 4 years back from Urban shore – Mumbai.. and for some reason the strap got lose. So Urban shore took it back and got me a new pair of my choice in the same price. So in the terms of After sales service also they are very efficient. urban shore got my fit flops exchanged after i have already used it 1 year, and they got it replaced from UK.

I absolutely loveeeeeeeeeeeeeee them.

Dont know if they help in losing weight but yes , I find them very cute and with perfect heels.

Swati June 6, 2014 at 9:20 pm

I don’t know about fit flops but I see every other shop copying this design and stocking it. I got one from bata and it might not have the whole lose weight sole but it is super comfy.

coralcrue June 7, 2014 at 1:27 am

i just got know about them few days back, they are definitely cheaper in Dubai, hope they sell them at similar prices in India too. I have to wear arches with all my footwear and these are an innovation for people like me. they are super comfortable and super duper ugly!! if not for the comfort part, i would never give into any of their designs. Ugly! period.

Neeru June 14, 2014 at 3:45 pm

My MIL & SIL are both fitflop lovers and hv been wearing them from last 3-4 years.. they got it from dubai as its way cheaper than those available in India..

Bhumika June 19, 2014 at 12:06 pm